Broba Fett finds an Anchor Point.

Broba Fett

Last month:

• Left my CF gym and became a lone lifter again.
  • Reset my squat to the bar and worked my way back to 175x3x5 with much better form via a modified version of Starting Strength.
  • Had my yearly checkup and confirmed with my doctor that I have a torn rotator cuff.  Also discussed the possibility of bipolar disorder.  He gave me rehab exercises to do to hopefully avoid surgery on shoulder and a psychiatric referral that I'm still waiting to hear back from.
  • Wanted to give myself a project.  Working on my novel turned into spontaneously writing a short erotic fantasy story.  It didn't get published to Amazon due to rules I don't quite understand.  I also wrote over five thousand words on my novel.  (Probably well over, I didn't track overall.)
  • Got overwhelmed with having so many hobbies and made a spreadsheet to pare them down.  Archery, hunting, shooting, fishing, writing, and video games survived.  I'd also like to try woodworking this year.
  • Made it through the holidays with only a 1.8lb gain from thanksgiving to January 3rd.

This year's goals:

1. Get to 350lbs by my wedding on June 10th.  I was 391.8 yesterday morning.  This may mean adjusting workouts and ramping up cardio (maybe in preparation of that Tough Mudder in Rockford?). Certainly means better food habits.
  2. Fix the shoulder one way or another.  Sans surgery is preferable, by far.
  3. Adjust my mindset when it comes to "domestic rangering".  I grew up in a rural setting with farming roots where a bit of mud tracked in wasn't a big deal and the dishes filled the sink before they were done.  My fiancee grew up in a household where the dishes were done after every meal and the whole house was cleaned top to bottom a minimum of once per week. I know her way is the right way.  I just need to adjust to it.
  4. Become proficient in archery to the point where I feel ethical hunting with my bow.
    • Harvest an animal of some kind, whether with bow or gun.
  5. Try woodworking to see if it fits the hobby list long term.  Specifically build either some piece of furniture or a chess set or something.  Something substantial.  Not a carved spoon or something.

Most of my challenges this year should be with those main goals in mind in one way or another.  With that in mind...

This month's goals:

1. More cardio:  I can't press and now cleans are starting to hurt the shoulder (more on that later) so my lifting options are limited.  The heart rate must elevate regardless!  Cardio must be increased.  It's been a long time since cardio machines factored heavily into my workout plans.  Suggestions on how much to do per week are welcome.
  2. Shoulder rehab EVERY DAY: This is a must.  I will not penalize myself if I don't do it.  The pain and decreased range of motion is getting to be punishment enough.  I will also be making an appointment with my chiro to see if she can help in any way.
  3. Track calories EVERY DAY: Every day.  Every food.  Even days that I know I will go over.  A big part of it will be to not get super depressed if/when I go over my 3k calorie allowance per day.  I know that I'm going to go over.  I also know that if I track it I'm much less likely to go over.  Guilt will hold me accountable.
  4. Practice Archery:  Archery is one of the hobbies I can practice year round and I need to get consistent practice if I'm going to feel comfortable taking a shot at an animal next fall with my recurve. Shooting (ha.) for 4-5 practice sessions. 

I'll also likely make myself a list of domestic rangering tasks that can be done on a daily/weekly basis to help out around the house sometime this month.  It shouldn't take long at all to jot them down.  I'll start working those in.  Hopefully they don't actually require a challenge goal but that may be a possibility in the future. 

• Like 10
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

Yesterday had a couple ups and downs.

As mentioned above, hit squats at 175x3x5.  It was much better than my old max attempts at 315+ that could hurt your back just watching them but I still have some forward creep.  Thus I will be backing down the progress to 5lb jumps per session now that we're getting to the point where the form is something I really have to focus on every rep.

Cleans now hurt my shoulder.  I didn't get through two warmup sets without pain. :(  

Did DB rows from 70-90lbs in 5lb jumps at 8 reps per arm then finished up with supersets of lat and triceps pulldowns.

10 minutes of cardio on the eliptical, with the last few minutes at max incline and high intensity that took heart rate to 190ish.   I really have no idea how much time I need to be doing cardio for.  I don't want to go back to 5 mile runs or 10 mile walks right away.  It's very strange to think about going back to steady state cardio after being away for so long. Suggestions on lengths of cardio workouts are very welcome.

Went home and took down Christmas lights and then went out to the archery range. Confirmed that my recurve is in great shape, bought a shooting glove and shot for about two hours.  I need LOTS of practice.  Hopefully I can get in regularly and tighten up my groups.  If not I may need to shell out cash for a compound bow before feeling ok shooting at an animal this year.   

Lots of string slap on my forearm and all the drawing/db rows/lat pulldowns have my back pretty well shredded today.

Fiancee got upset because I didn't do anything around the house yesterday besides take down the christmas lights and do the dishes and yet spent a total of 4+ hours combined at the gym and archery range.  I can see why she's upset, thus the focus on doing my part.  I'll do better. 

• Like 6
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

I'm first you bitches!

Edit: I mean, now that I've read the thing, I'm excited to follow along.

Any thoughts on HIIT vs steady state broba? Not a huge amount of intrinsic benefit, but it's often easier to focus on 1-4 minutes of high performance/torture, than a moderate 20-40 mins.

Also, fantastic job caring for the fiancé by adjusting your personal standards on domestic rangering. Not always easy. Last, holler if you want more info on a NF dietary support group. Helps MFP not suck quite so hard.

97050-LEGO-movie-FIRST-TRY-gif-Batma-TYg8.gif

• Like 3

Following. Rucking may be your answer for cardio. It's walking with a weighted backpack. It was a big craze last summer.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Laghail said:

Any thoughts on HIIT vs steady state broba? Not a huge amount of intrinsic benefit, but it's often easier to focus on 1-4 minutes of high performance/torture, than a moderate 20-40 mins.

I'd vastly prefer HIIT if I can get away with it.  I did a few days last fall that I went and did hill runs on a day off from lifting and I loved it.  5 runs up this 100 yard hill at 45 degree angle or so and I was absolutely destroyed.  I just don't know what is going to be more effective long term.  If 45 mins of elliptical will drop that weight faster than HIIT then I need to be making myself do the elliptical, despite how much it may hurt my soul.

Research will be done this evening.  Hopefully I can find some studies and such. 

2 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Following along!

B9q3A98CYAMKB5N.jpg

lol.  Can I just do some 12 rep sets of deadlifts at 225 or something?

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. Rucking may be your answer for cardio. It's walking with a weighted backpack. It was a big craze last summer.

That very well may be the answer.  I wasn't even thinking about that.  Thanks Tank.  Is rucking effective on a treadmill?  Up here in yankee land we had single digit temps this morning and I don't relish the idea of rucking in that weather. 

Good to have all of you along. 

• Like 4
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

I have so many things I want to comment and reflect on but I'll have to come back for that tomorrow. It's getting late for me. But I wanted to say there is an NF member who makes furniture and I forget who and it's driving me nuts. Maybe it was Waldo or Wildross, a 'w' name? I'll have to search around and get back to you. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

4 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

That very well may be the answer.  I wasn't even thinking about that.  Thanks Tank.  Is rucking effective on a treadmill?  Up here in yankee land we had single digit temps this morning and I don't relish the idea of rucking in that weather. 

I...have never considered treadrucking. My guess would be to science that question. If your treadmill has a heart rate monitor, walk a mile unladen. Then, at some other time, walk a mile with the ruck on the same eleveation and speed settings. Be sure you are equally cold both times. If the HR is significantly higher with the ruck, I'd say it's effective on a treadmill.

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following along again mate

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Following along again!

The way I see cardio, despite doing a mix of HIIT and steady state, is that because I want to be able to run that tough mudder then I kind of need to train myself to go the distance :) 

In terms of losing weight. Truth be told the best thing is to do something you can and will keep up with long term. If you hate rolling on the Elliptical for 30 minutes at a time it becomes easy to excuse yourself from it once the motivation has died down. If you enjoy sprinting up hills you are more likely to do it even when you don't quite feel it.

• Like 4

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

12 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

I'd vastly prefer HIIT if I can get away with it.  I did a few days last fall that I went and did hill runs on a day off from lifting and I loved it.  5 runs up this 100 yard hill at 45 degree angle or so and I was absolutely destroyed.  I just don't know what is going to be more effective long term.  If 45 mins of elliptical will drop that weight faster than HIIT then I need to be making myself do the elliptical, despite how much it may hurt my soul.

Research will be done this evening.  Hopefully I can find some studies and such. 

It's rough but effective. The litmus is if you can perform at max capacity while maintaining safe form between minimal recovery periods. It does amazing things to cardiac performance/metabolism :D 

Right? :P 

Rucking is awesome and tough! I can't see why it wouldn't be effective on a treadmill. 

16 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Tough Mudder in Rockford?

Shoulder rehab EVERY DAY: This is a must.  I will not penalize myself if I don't do it.  The pain and decreased range of motion is getting to be punishment enough.  I will also be making an appointment with my chiro to see if she can help in any way.

I'm seriously considering signing up for the Chicago TM whether by BIL decides to go or not.  Still waiting to get the ok from his accountant (my sister!).  Hopefully that comes soon.  

My mom had a shoulder issue that sounds very similar.  I know she did some modified planks (arms more forward than normal) in addition to the chiropractor to help get ROM back.  YMMV, but it might be worth a look. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I...have never considered treadrucking. My guess would be to science that question. If your treadmill has a heart rate monitor, walk a mile unladen. Then, at some other time, walk a mile with the ruck on the same eleveation and speed settings. Be sure you are equally cold both times. If the HR is significantly higher with the ruck, I'd say it's effective on a treadmill.

46 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Rucking is awesome and tough! I can't see why it wouldn't be effective on a treadmill. 

Last I checked there was a guy in my gym who did treadrucking. It seemed to be an intense workout for him. I got the sense he was in some kind of police/firefighter/etc type of job based on style, but I could be wrong. Anyway, he wore a weighted vest on the treadmill and seriously kicked ass. 

• Like 1

I count anything above 10 reps as cardio...

Is rucking effective on a treadmill?

I would say its the same argument that you would have with "is running effective on a treadmill?" Sure, I think for what you want to do(drop weight) its perfectly fine. If you were training for a long outdoor ruck, its not going to be as effective because the treadmill doesnt mimic the varied outdoor terrain. But like Tank said, Id give it a try and see how it goes for you.

In the past, when I didn't want to ruck/run in the cold, I would put a treadmill on incline or use the stair machine and carry a sandbag across my shoulders...hell of a workout. Firefighters use that to train to mimic going up stairs with all their gear.

• Like 3

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Related to wood working:

It was Waldo who has a woodshop. he is a warrior. But it looks like he hasn't been around since September. Maybe send a PM if you want to pick his brain?

Here's his challenge with the loveseat: 

Made a plant stand:

and there's some other stuff floating around his challenges. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Broba Fett said:
  • Got overwhelmed with having so many hobbies and made a spreadsheet to pare them down.  Archery, hunting, shooting, fishing, writing, and video games survived.  I'd also like to try woodworking this year.
  • Made it through the holidays with only a 1.8lb gain from thanksgiving to January 3rd.

Hell yeah! Way to maintain over the holidays! What are you planning on doing with woodworking? My buddy at work just got into it the last 7-8 months and has been making coolers (for tailgating), bird houses, wall art. He's looking into making tables and night stands right now. Will you show us pictures of your handy work?

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

And it's about to make a BIG comeback ;) 

Following for Orcotica and all the other badass things Broba does.

ba879be8f88a5510058e76a5927537b9.jpg

Wolf

• Like 4

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Following!

Also you gave me a very good idea when you talked about making a spreadsheet for all your hobbies.

There are just so many cool things to learn! 

I also second the idea of rucking on a treadmill, put that thing on at least a 5 degree incline to reduce the chances

of getting shin splints. Also the incline will help mimic how you walk on normal ground(pushing instead of stepping).

• Like 3

Holy balls!  So many replies.  Thanks for the love all.  Needed it after this morning.   I'll elaborate after I reply... to the replies.

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Makes sense.  This shall be on the list of things to try next week.  We shall see how it goes. 

11 hours ago, Jarric said:

Following along again mate

Good to have you along sir. 

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

The way I see cardio, despite doing a mix of HIIT and steady state, is that because I want to be able to run that tough mudder then I kind of need to train myself to go the distance :) 

That's my thinking on needing to put in some steady state.  If I want to do a 10-12 mile TM in late summer I need to get some long walks in.  Although that will be 10 miles plus short spurts of stuff.  So maybe a hybrid of the two is appropriate.

8 hours ago, RedStone said:

It's rough but effective. The litmus is if you can perform at max capacity while maintaining safe form between minimal recovery periods. It does amazing things to cardiac performance/metabolism :D 

That seems to be the consensus.  I think I prefer the HIIT if I have a choice, honestly.  5 mins of intense hell is way better than a half hour of plodding boredom IMO. 

8 hours ago, Oramac said:

I'm seriously considering signing up for the Chicago TM whether by BIL decides to go or not.  Still waiting to get the ok from his accountant (my sister!).  Hopefully that comes soon.  

My mom had a shoulder issue that sounds very similar.  I know she did some modified planks (arms more forward than normal) in addition to the chiropractor to help get ROM back.  YMMV, but it might be worth a look. 

I'm still almost certain I'll be doing it.  Only things that could hold it back at this point are if I have no choice but to go under the knife for my shoulder or if we are struggling to get wedding stuff paid off by June.  I don't either either is likely so I should be down to do it.  

Modified planks added to my preworkout PT stretches.  Ty sir. 

7 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

Hey, man! I'm here again to support.

Your goals are looking good. As far as cardio, can I assume your shoulder rules out rowing?

Good to have you!  Actually rowing is no problem.  Any pulls in general (rows, deadlifts, actual rowing) produce no pain.  It's just presses and now cleans. 

Rowing could definitely be an option.  Especially if I want to do some kind of hybrid.  I guess I could get on the elliptical for a 5 mins then do an intense 200m on the rower or something. Rinse and repeart.  That sounds bearable. 

7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Last I checked there was a guy in my gym who did treadrucking. It seemed to be an intense workout for him. I got the sense he was in some kind of police/firefighter/etc type of job based on style, but I could be wrong. Anyway, he wore a weighted vest on the treadmill and seriously kicked ass. 

7 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

I count anything above 10 reps as cardio...

I would say its the same argument that you would have with "is running effective on a treadmill?" Sure, I think for what you want to do(drop weight) its perfectly fine. If you were training for a long outdoor ruck, its not going to be as effective because the treadmill doesnt mimic the varied outdoor terrain. But like Tank said, Id give it a try and see how it goes for you.

In the past, when I didn't want to ruck/run in the cold, I would put a treadmill on incline or use the stair machine and carry a sandbag across my shoulders...hell of a workout. Firefighters use that to train to mimic going up stairs with all their gear.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot next week and see what happens. 

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Related to wood working:

Reveal hidden contents

It was Waldo who has a woodshop. he is a warrior. But it looks like he hasn't been around since September. Maybe send a PM if you want to pick his brain?

Here's his challenge with the loveseat: 

Made a plant stand:

and there's some other stuff floating around his challenges. 

Well I'm going to have to read the hell out of those and bug him when I get a chance tonight. *opens tabs*  TYVM.

5 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Hell yeah! Way to maintain over the holidays! What are you planning on doing with woodworking? My buddy at work just got into it the last 7-8 months and has been making coolers (for tailgating), bird houses, wall art. He's looking into making tables and night stands right now. Will you show us pictures of your handy work?

Absolutely.  I actually thought it'd be cool to stain and glue together a chess/checkers board for a first project.  Could be fun I think.  Would set things up for a fun carving project making chess pieces if I ever get into that. 

4 hours ago, Volki said:

Also you gave me a very good idea when you talked about making a spreadsheet for all your hobbies.

There are just so many cool things to learn! 

It's helped so much.  I had so many things I COULD do that I would get overwhelmed and end up not doing any of them.  And then when I would do something it ended up being done so infrequently that I wasn't making significant progress. :(  

Oh well, all better now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a lot going on on today.  I gotta vent about a couple things and it won't be quick.  This post is going to discuss a bunch of parenting and Volkswagen issues so feel free to skip to the end if none of that is interesting to you:

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that the fiancee's kid was sick with a virus.  I had actually not believed her and yelled at her one morning for not getting up and moving in the morning before she was diagnosed, if you remember. :(

Well she got better after a couple days of meds and rest and attention (important) but then starting acting really weird.  She'd be acting totally fine when she was resting on the couch watching TV/her ipad but when it was time for her to eat or get up and do something she would start "feeling sick" again.  She would feel like throwing up or have a headache.  No fevers, no issues with her throat, none of that.

Fiancee took her back to doctor who said there is no sign of any kind of sickness.  This was explained very clearly to the kid and she went back to being fine.  All is well...

Until it comes time for her to go back to school yesterday.  Then all of a sudden she feels sick again and "doesn't feel like going to school".  I'm the one home with her in the morning so it's up to me to determine that she is not sick and let her know that she is going to school anyway.  She throws a FIT.  Just wailing and shaking with anger.

So eventually I calm her down and she goes to school. When Tammy picks her up last night she is fine.  Then she gets home and tries to turn on the TV.  Tammy informs her that she is not watching that nor is she on her tablet or new phone that she got for christmas.  She goes apeshit again.  Tammy handles it and she eventually chills out.  It is explained to her that she will not be missing school unless she is sick enough to require seeing a doctor and if she pulls all that crap again she gets mega grounded.

This morning she is fine for me.  Tells me she doesn't want to go to school and that her stomach hurts but I tell her I don't want to go to work every day but I do so she can eat and have a roof over her head.  Her grandpa comes and picks her up to go get breakfast for school. She loses it again. 

She pulls the same thing on him and he calls his wife (kid's grandma) who feels the need to leave work to go and get the kid to school.  I am unable to go to the gym because I have to be ready to go pick up the child if and when the grandparents are done dealing with it.  (I was ready to pick her up and just go sit in the school parking lot until she cried herself out.)

Grandma gets the kid to school.  Everything appears to be alright, at least until Tammy gets home and we can address it again.  Two hours later kid goes to school nurse and says shes sick/makes them call her grandpa to come get her.  More drama ensues but ultimately the school is told that the kid is not sick and is manipulating all of us.

The current plan is for Tammy to take her BACK to the doctor.  This time to check on possible hormonal changes/starting her first period, as Tammy and her mom can't think of anything else it could possibly be.  SHE'S EIGHT. We aren't supposed to be dealing with that for YEARS.  However, I guess Tammy had hers at 8 so it's not a big stretch.  

The possibilities at this point:

1. The kid got used to the attention and laying around on the couch when she was legit sick and doesn't want to do anything now and is being a monstrosity.
  2. The kid is having her godforsaken period at EIGHT YEARS OLD and is having horrible anxiety/pains due to things that grown women have been known to have issues with.
  3. The kid is being made fun of at school and hates it there.  (She said this once or twice but we had never heard it before Christmas break so it's likely an excuse.)
  4. The kid is legitimately sick with something that hasn't shown up on any tests so far.

Regardless of the full story it's been a stressful couple of days.  I found myself praying the doctor finds something that can be addressed physically so it doesn't turn out this kid is already dealing with adult sized anxiety or depression.

So that's one part of my stress today.  The other part is Volkswagen.  

Anyone who has been following along with me for an extended period of time should know that I have one of the diesel VW Jettas that was involved in Dieselgate and thus federal court ordered VW to buy it back from me at it's value BEFORE all the scandal with the EPA.  The estimated buyout would pay off my remaining loan on it and give me $6-8k left over.  Awesome right?  Should pay for nearly my entire wedding depending on the total payout.

This is supposed to happen by the end of november.  I upload all the required documents mid-october and patiently await my official offer letter. November passes and I get nothing.  I google and find out others have already turned in their cars and cashed their checks.  I give VW the benefit of a doubt since some 400 thousand customers are choosing to do so and give them a couple more weeks.

December passes.  No word.  I look up the court ruling and VW originally said all claims would be handled in 20 business days.  So I call VW today and ask them about it. 

I get told that they've received all my paperwork and they will soon send me an offer letter but there is no timeline for that letter or my payout, despite many customers already getting theirs.  There is also apparently no rhyme or reason to how they are handling claims.

So I let the rep go and decide to go on up the ladder.  I email the lawyers handling the settlement on behalf of the customers and tell them I've received no communication since submitting my papers, can you please help, blah blah blah.

Two hours later I get an email asking for another document.  Apparently I need to provide LAST year's registration in addition to this year's, so they can see I owned it before the scandal broke.

So I'm currently half PISSED and half stressed out that I don't have that registration. 

Pissed because VW either:

1. Knew I needed this additional document for almost three months and didn't tell me till I emailed their lawyers.
  2. Didn't bother to even look at my documents (that were submitted as soon as they possibly could have been) for almost three months.

Either way, they failed to communicate anything to me. Not even a "We are overwhelmed by the response on buyback so it'll be a few months longer" email or the simple "we need your old registration" email I got today.

I'm super stressed because I have no idea if I have the registration.  We get a new one every year in IL so why would I keep it?  

So tonight as soon as I get home I get to rifle through my files at home (and/or the glovebox of my Jetta) to see if the registration is in there.  If not, I gotta contact VW again tomorrow and try to find someone who knows what they're talking about to see if take the bill of sale or receipt, which I just found in my work desk as I was typing this. 

So there you have it.  I don't know if anyone read through all that but just typing it out makes me feel loads better about it.  Any and all advice on either topic is more than welcome.

tl;dr: My fiancee's child is crazy and Volkswagen sucks, don't buy their cars. I'm drinking tonight. 

• Like 4
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Damn! I feel for you man, my daughter is 8 as well and definitely a handful. My firat guess was that something was going on at school that is making her nit want to go but you dont think thats a major factor. I hope you guys find a solution or at least a reason soon.

Thats really shitty of them to do that to you. I dont keep mine either after I get the new one. Hopefully they take the sale receipt and you get ur money!

• Like 2

I'm not a doctor and obviously I can't provide any advice better than her own mother or a doctor. So just out of curiosity, what was the virus?  

My default is to believe the kid because I've heard one too many horror stories of parents/doctors not believing a kid and then it turning out to be serious. But it is fishy that the symptoms seem tied to activities she doesn't want to do. 

Either way, my heart goes out to you. That is a tough situation. I hope it resolves painlessly for the whole family. 

• Like 1