Parsnip's crazy training double-challenge

Parsnip

Hi everyone!

I was very disappointed last year when my last challenge (november) fell apart...I was doing ridiculous hours at work for a few weeks, and didn't have time to keep track of what I was doing and do weekly scoring. I have been lifting still 1-2 times a week, but not tracking food or anything else.

And now I find myself in 2017 with only 8 weeks to go until my first full-length sprint triathlon!!!

I'm calling this a double-challenge because the triathlon will happen at the end of the next challenge (late Feb), so I'm taking an 8-week look at it. Not sure yet if I will do a points system up like with previous challenges. Basically, my goals are to:

1. Follow the 13-week training program on beginnertriathlete.com. I'm starting on week 6, but week 6 & 7 are rest weeks (low volume), so I think that should work out well to ramp up. I'll be doing 2x each sport per week.
  2. Track my food again in MFP. I am worried with the extra training I won't be eating enough calories (I struggle at the best of times) and that is a sure-fire way for me to fail miserably at the training program!!

MFP reckons calorie expenditure for me, set to "active" is 2160Cals. My maintenance level normally is about 2000-2100, so this may be too low. I think I had better track exercise in MFP as well, and eat the extra calories...

• Like 2

I've decided to add a small third part to this challenge. I am always forgetting to take care of my skin problems. I have cream to use every day, but I haven't been good at using it. So, similar to previous challenges with my sleep, I will set a reminder in my phone and track when I do it!

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

Ahhhh, a triathalon! That's awesome! That's on my list of things to do once I actually learn how to swim better so I'll be watching this with great interest! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

So far so good! Week 0 has been great, did:

- two bike rides in the gym (too hot outside)

- open water swim

- run, circuit along foreshore footpath and back through local gardens :)

I'm loving my new apartment, it's really close to the beach and only 10min walk to gym. Score on immediate lifestyle improvement :)

This triathlon is going to be tough to train for, it's a lot more volume of training than I'm used to, but I think it will be worth it!! As long as I do enough to cross the finish line, I will be very happy!

It's crazy to look at how far I've come in less than a year. This time last year I hadn't even joined the gym yet. Last week I was enjoying having 'light' weights and only having to squat my bodyweight +5kgs [emoji14] I guess that's what happens when you train consistently and eat lots of protein...

Fingers crossed now I'm back at work things don't fall apart when I come home tired. Better pack a boatload of food now ready for tomorrow :)

• Like 1

So I've been a bit lazy and not updated. I promise I've been working away at my challenge though!

This week was a high volume week. The aim with the long sessions this week was to be long enough that you would be doing about the full triathlon distance for each (on different days, not all at once!)

I have done 2 swims and 2 runs, but missed my long bike ride, only did the short one. I might still attempt it tonight at the gym. It's been had working around a busy work schedule. I prefer riding my real bike, but haven't had a chance yet!! I loath treadmills, it is summer here and i leave for work 6:15am, so only chance for outdoor exercise time is after 8pm usually. Which only leaves time for a run... It has helped me to ride at the gym i suppose, more lifting opportunities [emoji14]

• Like 1

Today isn't too hot, 33C (91F) forecast, so I did a run just now even though it was 1pm. I usually wait until the sun is setting, but the triathlon timing will mean I'm running at noon, so i figure i should be prepared for that...

• Like 1

Ooh, just decided on my reward! If i manage at least 5/6 sessions per week + track all my food in mfp + nightly cream at least 5x weekly, I will earn bluetooth earphones! They have been on my list of potential rewards for a while, and will be handy at gym and running :)

• Like 1
On 1/21/2017 at 11:04 PM, Parsnip said:

I will earn bluetooth earphones! They have been on my list of potential rewards for a while, and will be handy at gym and running :)

Oooh, neat! Do you have a pair picked out?

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Oooh, neat! Do you have a pair picked out?

Nope! Guess I'll have to hurry up and pick one out since I successfully completed my challenge :)

Better update this thread with all the details too!!

• Like 1

Alright - all the details of my successful challenge!

Food

Week 1: 2153 Cals average, decent 2079 net (after exercise)

Week 2: 2219 Cals average, managed 2030 net

Week 3: 2204 Cals average, managed 2047 net

Week 4: 2126 Cals average, only 1928 net (in my defense, was peak triathlon training week, so LOTS of exercise calories)

I stopped tracking this week, since I finally seem to have developed an appetite and feel I can maintain at least 2000 Cals average. This should keep me going ok with tapering before the big triathlon day in just TWO WEEKS :D

Training

This has been tough, I did have to skip two sessions total over the challenge, and I cut the time on two as well. But that is still well above my minimum of 5 out of 6 sessions a week and I'm feeling more confident now I have done some of the distances in training :)

I was worried I wasn't swimming very well, but halfway through the challenge my swimming sped up considerably. I've been doing all my swimming in open water, and can manage the 750m in about 25min. Not fast, but it will get me across the finish line!!

My big fear was the run, since it seemed crazy to run up the hill in town, thought I'd really struggle with that. But I had to do a 45min run in week 4 and smashed the hill no problems!!! Feeling much better about it now. And I can always walk it if I want :P

Reward

After much research, I have settled on 1MORE bluetooth earphones as my reward :) I was going to go super cheap and just buy a crappy sub $20 pair, but I think $80 for these is a good compromise...I have a habit of breaking things easily, so we'll see how long they last :ambivalence:

• Like 1