Lou_Be turns up

Lou_be_Lou

Brief semi-place-holder.

Yup I'm turning up this month.

There's all sorts of life stuff (mostly good) trying to take all my time, but no, I'm going to

1) play that bass

2) actually do my morning injury prevention routines (back maintenance, dodgy foot mobility, arm flexibility) more mornings than not.

3) Exercise = make it to yoga, turn up at JJ and kickboxing, do some running

All other things are optional (except for making it to work on time, that one is compulsory, oh and playing with cats, also compulsory).

Am I all or nothing it again?  Maybe.....  But I do not like the nothing end of the scale.

Good to be back, in preparation I got to the gym yesterday, and did my morning body maintenance today.  Feels good.  Now emergency practise (mighty hard music to learn by Saturday - a nice mix of Milhaud, Mozart and Schoenberg, but ouch, it is a challenge to learn).

• Like 2

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

hi! yay!

that daily maintenance stuff is really the trick, isn't it?

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

On 05/01/2017 at 11:21 AM, sarakingdom said:

Yay, Lou!  Glad to see you back.

On 05/01/2017 at 4:10 PM, Teirin said:

Also glad to see you back!  Good luck with bass practice!

Definitely good to be back - not massively participating in the forums this week (blaming schoenberg for this......) I'll feel more back when I'm actually reading about what other folk are up to, but sleep is a higher priority....  Oops.

On 05/01/2017 at 7:36 PM, joedog said:

Welcome back Lou! Seems like lots of us are filtering back in after a break. 

Absolutely!  It seems more doable after the mahem of december.

On 05/01/2017 at 8:59 PM, Kishi said:

Sounds like you 'bout to be all about that bass! Cool!

Also, that maintenance is LIFE. Movement quality and being uninjured for the win.

Absolutely re maintenance - being mostly uninjured is amazing! the mostly is my right big toe, I suspect its happy days are over..... Yay for arthritis.....  but wow, doing daily exercises for it keeps it sooooo  much happier than if I leave it be.

On 09/01/2017 at 3:38 PM, karinajean said:

hi! yay!

that daily maintenance stuff is really the trick, isn't it?

Hello hello hello!!!!!!!!!!  and YAY, because!

Checking in.

So far the week has been good.  Bass playing everyday, and the music for saturday's gig is still seriously hard, but much of it is getting more playable.  I'm always amazed by how much I improve with intense practise.  But intense practise usually needs an element of panic before it happens, so I'm not beating myself up about not always managing it.....

And my daily maintenance is done (yup, every day).  Even clams.  I just don't get them.  And heel raises, which i get but hate.

Plus, Sunday I practised kicking, tuesday I got to Jujitsu, and today, yoga.

YAY.  Definitely more exercise than for a while.

All good.

• Like 2

Lou!

If you can turn up, I can work more at showing up, too. 

Glad to see you back! :D

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

NICE WEEK LOU!

oh my gosh I totally hear you re: intense practice. whenever I have to do something at work and I've waited forever and it's breathing down my neck I get it done well, thoroughly, and effectively, and then say "WHY, self, WHY can't you be like this every time?!"

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

4 hours ago, Teirin said:

How are you doing?

I vote party in Lou's thread.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

OH wow, I'm liking the party!

Doing ok here, not turning up enough in the thread - but i've definitely done more moving because of the challenge.  Week two though - grrrrrrrr I was sick!  Had two whole days in bed, then a couple more quiet quiet days to recover.

Bass playing - moderate amount of playing, loads at the beginning, my 2 gigs of the challenge both went well.

Daily movement - I'm on about a 30% success rate - but I do very much enjoy the days that I do it.  Time in the mornings is an issue.......

Martial arts - going well.

Yoga, I've made it to as many classes as I could, and loved it.

Running - complete fail.  DUH.

This week is an odd one - 4 sleeps until longhaul flights!  This week is all about work deadlines and getting home sorted in anticipation of vanishing.  Not sure when I'll manage to log back in.....  But I'm getting to jujitsu on tuesday, and rehearsal tonight, and need to do morning exercises everyday - so those are my goals for the week for here.

Next challenge?  I'm not sure if i'll make it a formal one - but my running shoes are going longhaul with me, and I have to have to have to make up my 10 opponent kata for my next kickboxing grading - the challenge of it is that we're not meant to reuse any blocks, kicks or punches.....  plus I want to use lots of different directions and the tidy freak in me (usually quite well buried) would love to be traditional enough about it to finish on the same spot I've started.......

Thanks for the party!

• Like 2

Geez, down in bed for two days? That sounds pretty serious.

As far as time in the mornings goes, remember: even five minutes is better than nothing. The movement quality is what makes the difference, I think, and you can focus on doing things that are therapeutic and restorative and good for you.

Sounds like your next challenge will be a doozy, whether you're here or not. Keep us posted on how it goes!