What didn't you buy?

12 hours ago, RandMart said:

Still haven't bought those Green Day tickets ... we WILL, just need to know if a 4th person is coming and who's paying for the ticket

3 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Didn't buy a level belt for my wife today... We're going to, just need to be a little more sensible about it, especially seeing as we both want to compete in May, and that'll be quite the financial investment for us.

I like these plans, i.e. they are plans rather than purchases on a whim. 

This doesn't apply to either of those two upcoming purchases, but a lot of times the longer you wait the more you realize you don't need the thing you coveted. 

I'm trying to save money this pay period (got paid today) to buy fractional plates at the end of the pay period. That way I have to save the money for it, rather than buying it now and then potentially running short of goal at the end. 

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

I ran out of breakfast food prep (and lunch TBH) so I was planning on swinging by Panera or a gas station for a breakfast sandwich. But I started my car and decided to just go back inside and make a protein shake quick. 

Going out for breakfast and lunch would be stupid and I'm glad I decided against it.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I gave in and bought the fractional plates early because I decided I wanted to slowly increase squat weight to work on form. HOWEVER, I made myself return a thing to a store first so that would cover the cost of the weight plates. 

I almost bought chalk too, but realistically I don't need the chalk yet because deadlift is not yet back to wear it was before, grip is fine. (And having Amazon Prime means I don't need to order things together to save on shipping.) 

I learned about the Volt planner this week and now I really want one! But I don't *need* one. It would just be very helpful for goal

planning and tracking. I managed to resist. 

Financial stuff may improve later this year and they sell an undated version. So when money is better I have my sights set on getting one. 

I may be joining a second gym for powerlifting so all money saving is going toward that now, not fun stuff. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 7:42 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I may be joining a second gym for powerlifting so all money saving is going toward that now, not fun stuff. 

Will you have 2 gyms? or getting rid of the first membership?

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

Will you have 2 gyms? or getting rid of the first membership?

I'm going to have 2 gyms. At least for a while. But the first gym is not expensive. My currently gym is 1 minute away, so I'd like to keep it for when weather is bad because nor matter what mother earth is doing I can still drive 1 minute. 

Also, Mr. T is applying for jobs, so once we are two income household that will help significantly. I'll still want to focus on debt reduction and savings though. I can't imagine a situation where I could spend money frivolously. 

One of our pets needed to have an operation to remove a tumour on Monday and it was quite costly.  I was also due to go to the hairdresser on Monday which would have cost £60 so I cancelled the appointment and cut my hair myself yesterday and if I need to I will get some hair dye and try to hide my grey roots too.  

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Saving money is definitely a goal of mine this year. Just a couple weeks ago my girlfriend and I got notice that our tenancy wouldn't be renewed so off on a house hunt we go. Though it's never going to be the "right time" to be evicted, it could have been righter. Money is tight, at least until we get the deposit back on the place we're moving out of.

Today I didn't spend money on any shiny new tabletop RPGs I've had my eye on through their development... As much as it pains me. And I've bought ingredients rather than ready made stuff from the supermarket, despite being short on time—I'll be able to make the time to put something edible together if I try.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ollie the Brobarian said:

Today I didn't spend money on any shiny new tabletop RPGs I've had my eye on through their development... As much as it pains me. And I've bought ingredients rather than ready made stuff from the supermarket, despite being short on time—I'll be able to make the time to put something edible together if I try.

Well done! 

I've also recently added the Wunderlist app to my phone that lets you keep lists. And I've started one for ways I'm saving money so I can remind myself of it. And it'll be part of my new challenge to maintain the list. I'll just add to it as I find new ways I've saved money. 

What I have so far: 

- meal prep breakfasts

- pack lunch the night before

- avoid unnecessary expensive condiments for recipes, find substitutes

- don't buy any coffee, only make it at home or free at work

I like just started wearing make-up last year. And someone got me some for my wedding in December including "matte finishing spray" which I've never used before in my life and I'm just about out of it now. I was going to buy more and then I was like, WTF do I even need this for? Is my desk job so intense that my makeup is melting off? LOL

And then I crossed that off my shopping list. 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2017 at 2:17 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I like just started wearing make-up last year. And someone got me some for my wedding in December including "matte finishing spray" which I've never used before in my life...

I never even knew such a thing existed. I rubbish at being a girl, lol! :D 

I failed today!  I bought myself a lovely fleece jacket that I LOVE!  It's so soft and cosy!  But seriously, half my clothes (3/4 of them really) are in the loft because there isn't enough space and I've gone and bought something else. 

Im going to go and sit in the corner and cuddle my jacket if anyone wants me. ;) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Oooh, I like this idea. I always feel proud of myself for not buying things but the people around me don't get quite as excited. xD

Most recently, I resisted the urge to buy all the things from the skate shop I get all my derby gear from. Seeing as I can't (and won't be) skating for a while longer, I don't need all the things. Especially not that mint-green shirt with "They see me rollin'" and a unicorn and palm trees. no. NO. I wouldn't even have had to pay shipping because a teammate was up there ad would have picked it up for me. 

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

On 2/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

A bunch of the women I workout with have Fitbit style activity and fitness trackers. Peer pressure? Maybe, but I kind of want one. They're expensive though, so I still haven't bought one. Waiting for their reviews after a few weeks/months, and until I find a good deal.

Every three months I convince myself I NEED a fitbit. And then I remind myself humans have been getting fit without one for ages. Also I hear almost all calorie/step trackers are somewhat inaccurate. And if someone just wants one for counting steps, there are cheap ones that don't go on your wrist. 

Any "fit" person I have seen wearing one was already fit to begin with. 

• Like 3

I've been not holding so strong in this area recently due to some unfortunate circumstances.

Within the past week:

Took the car in for an oil change, turns out I needed 2 new tires, and all new brakes.

My phone broke beyond repair and had to purchase a new one.

Due to weird company level stuff, my previous two and next two paychecks were decreased by ~8 hours, so my paycheck was less than I expected.

I also happened to purchase comic con tickets right before all of this happened.

I got my tax refund and it's all disappeared already. :sorrow:

But hey!!! Good news.

Eating on a whole 30 means I've been spending SIGNIFICANTLY less on food and going out to eat. I'm on day 24 now and I've gone out to eat 4 times over the duration of the whole 30 (2 date nights, once for lunch at work, and once because I ran out of food at home and ate chipotle on my way to the grocery store to buy stuff for the following week). This is much decreased from my usual which had been out for lunch 1-2x/week, date night usually 1x week, plus stopping for something like coffee or pastries a handful of times. Additionally, not going out drinking either.

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

32 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I've been not holding so strong in this area recently due to some unfortunate circumstances.

Within the past week:

Took the car in for an oil change, turns out I needed 2 new tires, and all new brakes.

My phone broke beyond repair and had to purchase a new one.

Due to weird company level stuff, my previous two and next two paychecks were decreased by ~8 hours, so my paycheck was less than I expected.

I also happened to purchase comic con tickets right before all of this happened.

I got my tax refund and it's all disappeared already. :sorrow:

I don't think there is anything you can really do about that. Stuff happens. That sucks about the paycheck thing! I would be super annoyed. 

32 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

But hey!!! Good news.

Eating on a whole 30 means I've been spending SIGNIFICANTLY less on food and going out to eat. I'm on day 24 now and I've gone out to eat 4 times over the duration of the whole 30 (2 date nights, once for lunch at work, and once because I ran out of food at home and ate chipotle on my way to the grocery store to buy stuff for the following week). This is much decreased from my usual which had been out for lunch 1-2x/week, date night usually 1x week, plus stopping for something like coffee or pastries a handful of times. Additionally, not going out drinking either.

I am having the opposite phenomenon. Because of my desire to be frugal, I am meal planning and eating all my meals at home. I feel a lot better (energy wise) now that i'm not eating out so much. And with wanting to stay full on my lower calories, no drinking. Drinking may come back a little when I'm back in a maintenance phase. 

Stuff happening in my frugal world: 

I'm trying to plan ahead what I want to use my "free" money on for each pay period. The problem I had this past pay period was I bought the item up front but then we decided later to go to the movies to see Get Out and I ran over a little into my next pay period cash flow. (I did bring popcorn and sugar free lemonade in my purse for us though, to save cash on snacks.) So the new plan is to figure out what I want to use the money for at the beginning of the pay period, but don't spend it until closer to the end.