shoes for weightlifting. Does it matter?

Currently I just have one pair of running shoes, but the last couple of months I've really gotten more consistent about weightlifting 4x/week and want to progress with that. I love leg day but someone told me I'm not wearing good shoes for barbell squats.  I saw online that some articles recommended romaleos from nike which are $150.  Does the shoe really make a difference?

Level 0 Human Aspiring Ranger

Str: 0 | Dex: 0 | Sta: 0 | Con: 0 | Wis: 0 | Cha: 0

For weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk) or powerlifting (squat, deadlift) you definitely want a shoe with a flat sole. Great shoes to lift in that are cheap are chuck tailors or vans. You want to avoid shoes designed for running, because they have lots of cushioning - which take away stability and how much power you can generate.

Shoes specifically built for weightlifting will have a (SOLID) heel, because that allows to you hit greater depth on your squat. If you want to go into more detail about why this is, Alan Thrall has a good video. If you want to/have the resources to make the investment, Romaleos are great. So are Adidas Adipower or Adidas power lift. But you will go long and far in your weightlifting career with just a basic flat-soled shoe. I'm glad you're enjoying weightlifting!

TL;DR

Flat soled shoes - necessity

Expensive shoes made specifically for weightlifting - luxury

• Like 5

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Jericoholic, and Earth Bender

Daily Battle Log

I am late to the party but here is my 2cents, I have been using lifting shoes for a few years now, and now I can't even think of lifting without them.  The stability and ankle protection for squats and Olympic lifts plus the hard heel for leg drive for benching make them indispensable. I don't  use them for deadlifts however, I deadlift in my socks.   

Level 12 Warrior - not sure how that happened

Battlelog: Kanaman Lifts Things

Epic Quests: Kanaman's Epic Quest of Awesome Epicness

Late to the party as well, but my first clarification would be that when you say "weightlifting", you actually mean the Clean & Jerk and Snatch.

If you mean Powerlifting (Squat, Deadlift, and Bench), or just barbell movements in general, no.  Squat shoes aren't a requirement.  Hell, I'd even argue that they aren't necessary for the Snatch and Clean & Jerk either, it just takes way more mobility to perform those movements properly without Squat Shoes. 

• Like 1

Daily Log ]

On 2/16/2017 at 10:58 PM, Rooks said:

Late to the party as well, but my first clarification would be that when you say "weightlifting", you actually mean the Clean & Jerk and Snatch.

If you mean Powerlifting (Squat, Deadlift, and Bench), or just barbell movements in general, no.  Squat shoes aren't a requirement.  Hell, I'd even argue that they aren't necessary for the Snatch and Clean & Jerk either, it just takes way more mobility to perform those movements properly without Squat Shoes. 

Hell yeah. Barefoot deadlifts and snatches in mountain boots were my PRs. (Quad-dominant Chinese weightlifting though apparently prefers a higher heel rise than the typical Reebok Lifter.)

10668898_10152363064116965_3426540829155

• Like 1