Seabright's 2017 Battle Log of Awesomeness

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALS!

Starting a shiny new 2017 thread for all the shiny new 2017 achievements that I plan to achieve. I'm in achieving mode, so wanted to capture my goals for this year while I'm feeling all on-fire and achieving-y. 

For 2017, I'm picking ONE goal, and articulating 3 ways to get there. Then, I'm picking ONE power word to help me focus all year long

GOAL FOR 2017:
Get healthy, mind, body and soul, by eating paleo, getting daily exercise, and taking daily time for myself.

1. Get healthy by eating paleo
  • Eggs and bacon for breakfast, salad/meat/veggies for lunch and dinner, fruit/nuts for snacks.
  • Paleo-ness even in fast-food land.
  • I can have an alcoholic beverage on Friday and Saturday nights.

2. Get healthy by getting daily exercise
  • Daily yoga practice, even if it's only 10-minutes worth of stretching.
  • Very very light bodyweight workouts, starting from ground zero. If I experience neck pain or arm numbness, I am to stop immediately. 
  • Weekends will find me hiking, biking, or horseback riding.

3. Get healthy by taking time for myself
  • Find a few minutes every day: solitary walk, cup of decaf in the early am in the backyard, journaling at lunchtime, stop at the beach on the way home to watch the waves, take the long way home, horseback riding -- these all count. This will make me a nicer person all around, and give me energy for other things.
  • Learn to play the mandolin, even if it is just to chop chords.
  • By the end of the year, learn 6 cowboy songs.

POWER WORD FOR 2017:

Bravery

Okie dokie! That's it! 

Other things may come along throughout the year, and I can have little sub-goals for those, but everything needs to speak to one of the three above. This will keep me focused and moving forward at all times.

Alrighty! Let's get crackin'!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Thurs, Jan 5

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs w/spinach, bell peppers, and onions

- Lunch - salad with bells, chicken and dried cranberries

- Dinner - seasoned chicken with bells, onions and broccoli. Cliff Bar for dessert.

Daily exercise:

- Overslept, so missed yoga in the morning. Will get something in tonight when I get home.

- Nice walk at lunchtime. Cold, but nice. Still getting over the chest cold from hell, though, and was winded after only a short way.

Taking time:

- Mandolin - sent note to friend who has an extra and hinted broadly. sent note to another friend and asked if he teaches mando. 

- Nice walk at lunchtime also counts toward taking time for myself. 

Bravery:

- Actually sending the note to the mando friend was brave. Wrote several drafts first. I don't know why it was so hard, but it was.

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Fri, Jan 6

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs and bacon. doesn't get more paleo-y than that!

- Snack - honeycrisp apple.

- Lunch - salad with chicken

- Dinner - seasoned chicken with bells, onions and asparagus

Daily exercise:

- Freezing cold and slept in. Missed yoga for the second morning in a row.

- Didn't walk and slept a lot. I guess I'm still sick. :-(

Taking time:

- Volunteered to go to the grocery store. Cruised around the aisles and smiled at my neighbors.

Bravery:

- Finally sent a note to the event coordinator at that place to ask about getting on their entertainment schedule.

- Forced myself to make the call to Visiting Angels. I was outside of their office hours, but a step in the right direction.

Human Adventurer

Sat, Jan 7

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs with spinach, onions and bells and 3 slices of bacon

- Lunch - salad with chicken and some little crunchy wanton-y things

- Snack - fruit/nut bar bound together with a bit of honey, pomegranate fruit-only smoothie

- Dinner - chocolate chili from the Well Fed cookbook and broccoli

Daily exercise:

- Starting anew! Yoga warm-up for 15 minutes, followed by baby bodyweight workout, followed by a yoga cool-down.

- BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 squats, 3x5 angled pull-ups, 3x5 secs straight-arm planks.

- Got my 1 mile walk in - just barely (hit the sidewalk in front of the house a couple of times to get in those last steps), but it still counts. 

Taking time:

- Made the chocolate chili while just chilling in the kitchen. So pleasant to just chop stuff up.

Bravery:

- Got my dad down to the bank to submit the affidavit of small estate, and then got him over to the notary to get his sig noted and witnessed. Bravely just asked one of the counter guys to be the second witness, and bravely showed Dad pics of our kitties to distract him while we were waiting for the banker. Powers of attorney are almost set! This will be such a weight off of everyone's minds. It's almost done and I've been doing it all by myself. Scary.

Human Adventurer

Sun, Jan 8

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs with spinach, onions and bells and 3 slices of bacon

- Lunch - salad from Burger King. Brushed off the cheese.

- Snack - apple

- Dinner - leftover chili with broccoli

Daily exercise:

- 45 mins of yoga. Warmup, standing poses, and a couple of twists.

- 1.5 miles walked.Yay!

Taking time:

You know, I really got nada today. I felt it, too.

Bravery:

Very VERY bravely said I didn't want to watch the new episode of Sherlock, because I had to be in bed by 9:30pm in order to get enough sleep (4:45am wakeup time). Endured sighs of the spousal unit and said goodnight. Yay for me!

Human Adventurer

Mon, Jan 9

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs with spinach and bells; nuts and dried fruit during the harrowing drive in to work.

- Lunch - chicken burrito without the tortilla, sour cream or cheese - just lettuce, seasoned chicken, grilled veggies and a little guac. I drew many admiring glances.

- Snack - apple

- Dinner - turkey burger (no bun) and a freakin' mountain o' broccoli

Daily exercise:

- 20 mins of yoga.

- Walked 1 mile. Just barely.

Taking time:

Loved my morning commute today (see below). Went slow and enjoyed the countryside, the little houses and small ranch properties, and the cool rainy misty morning.

Bravery:

Highway 17 was closed this morning by a mud slide. Undaunted, I drove the way-scary back way up through the mountains to the summit. Waited 'til daylight to make it less scary. Shaken a tad by that one wash-out, but just went around it slowly. 

Made it 2 1/2 hours. In your face, mud slide!

Side quests this week!

Sweater challenge:

• Re-organized my closet on Sunday, and found that I have TONS of cardigans and turtlenecks...way more than I need, and way more than I wear. Challenge this week is to wear a different one every day. If it doesn't fit, I don't have anything to wear it with or it doesn't please me, then it goes in the donation bag.
  • Currently wearing my Tall Chief, which I bought because I loved the colors and stripes, and then hardly ever wear because I've been saving it 'for good.' Doh! I soooo love this sweater - I just feel so great wearing it. A keeper!

De-bugging challenge:

• Declutter one thing every day this week. (Today - 2 pairs of old socks and a magazine.)
  • If it's a sweater, it counts.
  • For ideas, use this list.

Human Adventurer

Tues, Jan 10

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs with spinach and bells.

- Lunch - w/the work gang at a Mexican restaurant. Had fish tacos w/grilled vegetables, flour tortillas (boo), skipped the margaritas and just had water (yay).

- Dinner - chicken teriyaki, baked sweet potatoes, crispy cauliflower with a few peas (from whole foods).

- Dessert - apple slices with unsweetened almond butter.

Daily exercise:

- Yoga warm-up for 10 minutes, followed by baby bodyweight workout, followed by a yoga cool-down.

- BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 lunges (each leg), 3x5 angled chin-ups, 2x5 secs straight-arm planks, 1x5 secs straight-arm side planks.

- Got about 1.5 miles in. Yay!

Taking time:

- Left work early to try to avoid a mud slide. It just felt sooooooo good to get home while it was still light! 

Bravery:

- Called the visiting angels again...after writing myself a script. The receptionist couldn't help me, but will have someone call me back in the am.

- Kept my dad company while he was waiting for dinner. Had dropped by just to say Hi and he said he thought that someone was going to come by to take him to dinner. He wasn't sure who, but thought they were coming between 5pm and 5:30pm. I felt there was a really strong chance he wasn't remembering correctly, so waited until 'someone' knocked on the door at 5:30pm. Hey! He retained something! Does that mean the donepezil is working????

Sweater challenge:

- Wearing the pretty purple wool turtleneck that I bought last year but haven't worn this year because 'saving for good.' I feel awesome - this one's a keeper!

De-bugging challenge:

- Dumped a green t-shirt I got free with a purchase and have never worn.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Jan 11

Eating paleo:

- Breakfast - eggs with spinach and bells.

- Lunch - in a training session, but assembled a sandwich w/o the bread - chicken, ham, tuna, veggies and a little lettuce.

- Snacks - staaaaaarving and pickings were slim. 2 nut/dried fruit bar-like things (I think honey was used as an excipient), and 2 apples.

- Dinner - took me 3 1/2 hours to get home (another mudslide, so had to go alllll the way around the mountains), and almost caved with a trip to Burger King. Spousal unit suggested stopping at Dharma's for a plate of veggies and brown rice. Added a tiny bit of peanut sauce for a pleasant dinner. 

Daily exercise:

- Yoga  - bare minimum of 10 minutes

- Walk - missed it. no excuses, just let the homeward commute get the better of me and slugged-out when I got home.

Taking time:

Oh, lots and lots of it. :-)

Bravery:

Bravely turned my long-commute-induced thoughts away from the dark side, and started thinking about what a pretty drive all the side roads would be in daylight. ;-)

Sweater challenge:

Wore the long, dark-teal-y blue one with a v-neck. I really love that sweater. Keeper.

De-bugging challenge:

Tried on a little wool cardie that I used to love. Somewhere along the line it got MIGHTY snug. Did it go in the drier? Got too close to the fireplace? Did I--gasp--get bigger (<- the most likely). Whatever, it doesn't fit. Went into the bag of donations destined for Project Purr this weekend. :-)

Human Adventurer

Thurs, Jan 12

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - scrambled eggs and bacon.
  • Lunch - salad with chicken, thai sauce and some crispy thingies.
  • Snack - apple.
  • Dinner - fail. mexican restaurant with friends we haven't seen in a while. Dos margaritas y chile verde con rice and beans. paid for it in the middle of the night, big time. 

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up for 15 minutes, followed by baby bodyweight workout, followed by a yoga cool-down.
  • BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 squats, 3x5 angled pull-ups, 3x5 secs straight-arm planks.
  • Walked 1.5 miles.

Taking time:

It wasn't raining, so took a stroll around our little water-damaged back yard. Stopped to look at this and that. Saw a phoebe, 2 juncos, and an oak titmouse. Yay!

Bravery:

Okay. Took a deep breath and sent another message to the person who said they would lend me a mandolin to try. This was really hard because I reeeeally didn't want to pester him, but I did it because I also really don't want to rent a crappy one or buy a good one before I know if I'm even going to like playing it. I gave him an out in the e (hey, no problemo if you're not up for this). If I don't hear back, I'll just move on. 

Sweater challenge:

Wearing a purple turtleneck I haven't worn in a year. It's cotton and has a super-thick cabled turtle. It's nice and soft and feels cuddly. Good weekend turtle. Keeping.

De-bugging challenge:

• Tried on a skin-tight patterned sweater that was pretty expensive when I got it a few years ago. Too snug, and when zipped all the way up, too tight at the neck. Plus, I saw one of the residents at my dad's retirement home wearing the exact same sweater. Oy. Into the donate bag it went.
  • Also tried on another little print wool cardie I used to wear buttoned up like a shirt. Same shrinkage problem as the one from yesterday. Debated, 'cause I really did like the sweater, but when I looked at myself in the mirror it didn't bring me any joy. At all. Into the donate bag!

Human Adventurer

Fr, Jan 13

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spinach, bells and onions.
  • Lunch - another weird seminar lunch, but cobbled together a salad of lettuce, chicken cubes and shredded carrots.
  • Dinner - seasoned chicken with bells, onions and broc. Had my allowable Friday night beer (split a big Sierra with the spousal unit, so we wouldn't be tempted to drink a six pack).

Daily exercise:

• Bare minimum of yoga - 10 minutes.

Taking time:

Strolled around the decorative pond outside during a session break.

Bravery:

Ruh roh. Seems I've got a new co-worker who just plain doesn't like me. Not sure why, since we've barely interacted, but guess the gal just doesn't like the cut of my jib. Decided to smile, treat her just like everyone, and turn my let's-be-friends energy to people who actually want to be friends. 

Sweater challenge:

• Wearing blue, black and white graphic cardie. Looks best with a white turtleneck...but the only one I have is juuuuuuuuust a bit too small. Wearing anyway, but will jettison the too-small mock turtle and replace with one the right size (useful item with multiple wearings per week = worth replacing). 

De-bugging challenge:

• Felt a little guilty about this, but put the knit chenille scarf that my niece made me for Christmas. Didn't like the colors, length or material, and didn't feel sentimental about it all. Knew I would never wear it. Into the donate bag!

Human Adventurer

Sat, Jan 14

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spinach, bells and onions and bacon.
  • Lunch - at the brewery, but I had a spinach salad with salmon, dried cranberries and pistachios and hot cider instead of beer.
  • Snack - apple.
  • Dinner - teriyaki chicken with roasted veggies and baked sweet potato chunks.

Daily exercise:

•  Yoga warm-up for 10 minutes, followed by baby bodyweight workout, followed by a yoga cool-down.
  •  BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 lunges (each leg), 3x5 angled chin-ups, 2x5 secs straight-arm side planks each side.
  •  Walking: 2.5 miles!!! Yay!

Taking time:

Cruised around the yard and imagined what it could be like. Mentally planned a dry stream bed and having all the weeding done.

Bravery:

Went to a fabric shop! Baby Dolly needed a replacement for the velvet Christmas stockings she decided were hers. Had fun looking at every bolt of soft, cuddly fabric they had. Decided on some gray, uber-soft fleecy stuff. Came home and put it on the couch--cats were instantly attracted. -)

Sweater challenge:

• Wearing new (yeah, bought another one a few weeks ago) stripey turtleneck. I feel great in this, and it's a good work shirt for the outdoor stuff I need to do today. Am thinking will jettison another really old one and replace with this. 

De-bugging challenge:

• Got rid of a really great cotton/wool henley in an awesome color that's just too damn small. Into the bag! Followed by a cool zip-up thingy that I bought in a chilly-weather emergency in Glacier Nat'l Park a couple of years ago, and have never worn since. 

Human Adventurer

Sun, Jan 15

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spinach, bells and onions and bacon.
  • Lunch - at the brewery, but I had a spinach salad with salmon, dried cranberries and pistachios and hot cider instead of beer.
  • Snack - apple.
  • Dinner - at the brewery, and I had a spinach salad with salmon, dried cranberries and pistachios and beer, because The Brewery.

Daily exercise:

•  Yoga for the minimum. 10 mins and had to force myself.
  • Gardening for about 3 hours.
  • Walking - My fitbit equated gardening for 3 hours with walking a mile and a half. I'm pretty sore, so I'm going to agree.

Taking time:

Lovely lovely time pulling mountains of oxalis. Hummed to self. 

Bravery:

Put the green turtle (see Sweater/De-bugging) into the donate bag. I've had that thing for-freakin'-ever, because about once a year when I'm feeling blech I go looking for it. It was actually a pretty big deal to decide to get rid of it. What am I going to do the next time I'm feeling blech?? Yay for the unknown!

Sweater challenge:

• Put on the green turtle I've had for a zillion years. It's way too big, cotton, and the weave is too loose to be warm. Plus, the turtle is HUGE. Took off and put my new stripy one back on.

De-bugging challenge:

• The green turtle went into the donate bag.

SIDE CHALLENGE WRAP-UP:

• Different sweater every day. CHECK!
  • Git rid of any that are joyless. CHECK!
  • De-bug something every day. CHECK!

Grade: A+

Human Adventurer

Mon, Jan 16

Eating paleo:

Not the best day. Oh well.

• Breakfast - breakfast sandwich with bacon and eggs. The croissant, while buttery and lovely, made me cough all morning.
  • Lunch - chicken nuggets from Burger King, eaten in the parking lot. just sad.
  • Snack - apple.
  • Dinner - will start after this update, but it's going to be Stacey's cook up: chicken with broccoli and sweet potatoes. 

Daily exercise:

• Yoga - skipped. Had to leap out of bed and drive to Oakland at short notice (see breakfast sandwich above).
  • Walking - about 2 miles at Henry Cowell on the way back from Oakland. Saw some cool uprooted trees from the last storm - coarse woody debris. Nature at work!

Taking time:

• Haven't really had any, yet. Plan to put on some fun music while doing my little cook up.

Bravery:

• Woo hoooooo! My friend finally wrote back and said he would lend me a mandolin, but he would be going hiking around Noon. It was 9:10am and I was still in bed. Hopped to it and jetted up to Oakland right away! He let me have my choice of 3, but recommended one in particular. He showed me a chord or two, and how to hold it in my left hand. He showed my how to use my fingers, and how to practice to stay relaxed. Oh my goodness! Very excited!!

Side challenge - work on Specialization for 15 minutes, 3 times this week:

• I'm counting my 3-hour drive to get the mandolin as my first day working on my specialization. 

Human Adventurer

Tues, Jan 17

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - salad with carrots, bells, chicken and dried cranberries.
  • Snack - declined the homemade cookies (yay for me!), and had 2 apples, instead.
  • Dinner - fail. at the gig and arrived starving. chicken strips, chocolate cake and rum. The rum came direct from Cuba, though. 

Daily exercise:

•  Yoga warm-up for 10 minutes, followed by baby bodyweight workout, followed by a yoga cool-down.
  •  BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 squats, 3x5 angled pull-ups, 3x5 secs straight-arm planks.
  •  Walking: 1.3 miles...and climbed 4 flights to take my altitude picture. Yay!
  • My activity tracker counted my gig as a zillion steps. I'm going to take it. 

Taking time:

Ate lunch on my ownsome and just gazed out and about.

Bravery:

Last gig with Cabin Fever! It's been fun, but now we're all moving on. Took a swing at a couple songs I haven't done in a while, the banjo player and I sang a duet that we don't really know, I slid up to notes in a way I haven't done before....just had a grand old time being a little out there. Coolness!

Work on Specialization for 15 minutes, 3 times this week:

• Not done.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Jan 18

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - salad with chicken and crunchy things.
  • Snack - handful of pecans and an apple.
  • Dinner - turkey burger seasoned with ras al hanout, and the rest of the broc-and-sweet potatoes stuff. Yum.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga for 20 minutes
  • Walking: Officially got my mile in already. 1.2, actually. Will add to this if I do any more later.

Taking time:

Volunteered to go to the grocery store. Just took my time and planned out how I was going to get in my 15 mins of specialization practice.

Bravery:

Did it! Big deal for me. Came home with the groceries, put them away uber-quick, and then announced that I needed 15 minutes to myself. Don't know why I thought this was going to be such a big deal. Guess my brain is my worst enemy. ;-)

Work on mandolin for 15 minutes, 3 times this week:

• Did it. But, wow. Really had to force myself.
  • Tuned it up. Found a few picks to try.
  • Strings are probably too heavy for me at this point. Will get a lighter gauge, at least to start with. 
  • Quickly realized that I need a strap.
  • Found Mandolin Cafe's beginning bluegrass chords page.
  • Set the timer for 15 minutes.
  • Worked on those chords. Ye gods. Thems fingeringses is hardses. Hand stretched to the ultimate, finger muscles used that I didn't know even existed. 15 minutes was puh-lenty. 
  • Done!

Human Adventurer

Thur, Jan 19

Eating paleo:

Daily exercise:

• Overslept. It's going to be harder to get it all in.

Taking time:

Bravery:

Work on mandolin for 15 minutes, 3 times this week:

Human Adventurer

Thurs - Sun

Sick.

Still sick.

Would post a picture of me being sick, but too sick to want to bother figuring it out.

Rebel down.

Human Adventurer

Tues, Jan 24

Holy smokes! That was brutal. Thought i was back on track yesterday, then had to spend one last day in bed with intestinal, you know, issues. On the plus side, weight loss. I don't recommend it as a daily plan, however.

Better now, but definitely not back up to factory specs. Ready to take some baby steps, though!

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spin, bells and onions and bacon. Only made it through 1/2 the omelet and about 2 pieces of bacon. I know, right? Shocking.
  • Lunch - with a colleague at the mexican place. ordered the fish tacos with roasted veggies, hold the beans, rice, cheese, and rich sauce. ate them with the flour tortillas, though.
  • Snacks - 2 apples.
  • Dinner - bowl of chicken soup and a few saltines. still not feeling uber-awesome.

Daily exercise:

• Tried to do a bit of yoga and got pretty dizzy. Played it safe with a few light things to loosen up my joints and then stopped.
  • Parked down the street at work. Not by design, but will force a few extree steps on me today. That's alls I gots in me.

Taking time:

After work, went and got myself a chic new super-short haircut! I feel awesome!

Bravery:

• I'm here. Bravely came in, although at the last minute I threw a change of clothes into the back of my car, just in case I have continued, you know, issues.

Side challenges:

• Too sick to sit up last week, so big-ass fail on the mandolin playing. Boo! Rebooting the 15 mins @ 3 x week goal from last week. DONE! Played for 15 minutes while soup was on the stove.
  • No social media (except for NF FB Group) for 2 days straight. Yesterday's checked...holding strong for today. NOT DONE! Whoops...forgot about Reddit. Spent hours yesterday looking at the #bidenbro thread. Have to start over. ;-)
  • Balance on one leg for 20 secs, each side. DONE!
  • Make my bed. DONE!
  • No fast food. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Wed, Jan 25

Almost back to factory specs. Cough has subsided and feeling pretty good. Loving my new haircut, too. Makes me feel...taller.

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spin, bells and onions.
  • Lunch - salad w/chicken and veggies.
  • Dinner - chicken teriyaki and grilled veggies.
  • Snack - apple.

Daily exercise:

•  BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 squats, 3x5 angled pull-ups, 3x5 secs straight-arm planks.

Taking time:

On my ownsome for a few minutes tonight. Nice.

Bravery:

Went up to see my dad by myself. We had a nice time talking about this and that. I like to go with the spousal unit, because one of us can distract him while the other does a quick scan of his meds and apartment to help keep things in order. We actually had a fun time folding his laundry together. 

Side challenges:

• Mando for 15 mins. DONE!
  • No social media for 48 hours. DONE!
  • Make my bed. DONE!
  • No fast food. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Thurs, Jan 26

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - salad w/chicken and veggies.
  • Dinner - a giant chocolate chip cookie and 1/2 a beer. The less said about this, the better.
  • Snack - apple.

Daily exercise:

•  Yoga in the kitchen for just a few minutes.

Taking time:

Oh, more than enough. Took me 4 hours to get home (see dinner note) - bank robbery, chase and shoot-out which closed the mountain road. add in leftover mudslides from earlier in the week, and voila! Sang a LOT.  

Bravery:

Did not cry once on the drive home.

Side challenges:

• Mando for 15 mins. Not done.
  • No social media for 48 hours. DONE!
  • Make my bed. DONE!
  • No fast food. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Jan 27

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs and bacon.
  • Lunch - salad with chicken and some sort of spicy sauce. 
  • Dinner - chicken fajita, in the form of seasoned chicken, bells, onion and broccoli.
  • Snacks - apple, blueberry smoothie (fruit juice only)

Daily exercise:

• Nada.

Taking time:

Sat in the yard by myself for a few minutes.

Bravery:

Took Dad to the neurologist.

Side challenges:

• Mando for 15 mins. Not done.
  • Make my bed. DONE!
  • No fast food. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Sat, Jan 28

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs with spinach, bells and onions and 3 pieces of bacon. Didn't eat everything...still feeling a little queasy.
  • Lunch - apple
  • Dinner - chicken teriyaki with a little rice, and an egg roll. Fast food fail. It could have been worse, though.

Daily exercise:

• A little walking, but mostly running around doing errands all day.

Taking time:

Glorious evening alone catching up on finances. 

Bravery:

Whoa. Dad got a bill and started fixating. Called me 4 times in a row about it, deeply concerned. Had to get it out of his hands. Told him to head down to dinner, and then I drove up there and ran up to his room. Found the bill and pocketed it, but saw he was out of toilet paper. Ran back to car, jetted to store, jetted back again, ran back up to his room, and installed all. Got out again without him seeing me. 

Before you think ill of me for being sneaky, we had spent a very nice time together earlier in the day driving through the mountains, and stopping in at the cool feed and gardening store. I love my daddy, but it's still a strain to answer the same questions over and over again for hours at a time. I knew I had to get that bill away from him, but I also knew that if I had to do more talking/answering I might lose it. I didn't want to risk taking this out on him...he can't help it, and I love him. Good to protect yourself, though, when you know you need to. 

Side challenges:

• Mando for 15 mins. Sort of. I didn't practice, but I did go out and buy a strap and a couple of different kinds of picks to try.
  • Balance on one leg for 20 secs, each side, 3 times throughout the day. DONE!
  • Make my bed. DONE!
  • No fast food. Not done.

Human Adventurer

Sun, Jan 29

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs with spinach, bells and onion and bacon
  • Lunch - veggie burger with the bun, but no cheese, no sauce.
  • Dinner - saltines and herb tea. things still not sitting in my tummy particularly well.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up for 10 minutes, followed by baby bodyweight workout, followed by a yoga cool-down.
  •  BBWW stats: 3x5 counter push-ups, 3x5 lunges (each leg), 3x5 angled chin-ups, 3x5 secs straight-arm side planks each side.
  • Gardened for 5 hours, the big stuff: weeding, digging holes, digging up and moving plants, and cutting down a monster rose in prep for removing the fence. Had to get it all in before the rain starts again.

Taking time:

There's just nothing like weeding. Your hands are busy, your mind can wander, and when you're done it's all neat and clean.

Bravery:

About to write a note to the city contractor, pushing back on a last-minute $550.00 charge for work being done to our neighbor's sidewalk. 

Update: re-read the note and contract and I had misunderstood. Bravely sucked it up and moved on.

Side challenges:

• Balance on one leg for 20 secs, each side, 3 times throughout the day. DONE!
  • Make my bed. DONE!
  • No fast food. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Mon, Jan 30

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - seasoned chicken, carmelized onion and other roasted veggies.
  • Snack - apples
  • Dinner - more seasoned chicken, bells, onions and broccoli. Stick with a winner.

Daily exercise:

•  Yoga for 15 minutes. Felt good after all the gardening yesterday.
  • Walking - 2 miles. Gorgeous day, so snuck out for a walk along the marshland path.

Taking time:

Nice stroll and lunch. Saw phoebes and a plump little hummingbird.

Bravery:

Called the bank and the mutual fund company to find out what the heck is going on. Have to resend more forms. Argh.

Side challenges:

• Mando for 15 mins. DONE! Went for 30 mins and really felt it. Next time will stop when the timer goes off, like a good beginner.
  • Mobility drills. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Tues, Jan 31

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - salad with chicken and dried cranberries.
  • Snacks - apples
  • Dinner - chicken teriyaki and roasted veggies.

Daily exercise:

•  Yoga for 5 minutes in the am. Overslept.
  • 20 minute walk at lunch. That and a bunch of walking around here and there, about 2 miles.

Taking time:

Wonderful walk at lunchtime. Gorgeous weather...enjoy it while we can!

Bravery:

Went up to Dad's on my ownsome to help him with his laundry. This is sort of a bittersweet time...he likes to giggle, but there's also usually some in-your-face evidence of his cognitive state, which is sad-making. I sort of have to gird my loins every time. That's a lot of loin-girding. 

Side challenges:

• Mobility drills. DONE!

Human Adventurer