Seabright's 2017 Battle Log of Awesomeness

Sat, Mar 4

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - breakfast sandy w/croissant, eggs, bacon, no cheese.
  • Lunch- weekend salad.
  • Snack - apples. cookie with Dad.
  • Dinner - parsnips, if you can believe that, with sweet potatoes and chicken-artichoke-garlic sausage. Yum.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x8 counter push-ups, 3x8 squats, 3x8 angled pull-ups, 3x8-second straight-armed planks. Extra long yoga cool down of stretches and twists. 
  • Walking and gardening.

Taking time:

• Morning garden stroll. The little plants made it through their first night in the ground on their own!

Bravery:

• Cranked on some errands for myself. Yes, it's trued. I did some things for myself today. 
  • Why is this brave? I know, right? It should be just how the day goes, but it ain't and it ain't. 
  • Took the mantis tiller in to the small engine place for repair and proceeded to fall in love with a shiny NEW tiller -- with wheels! And nice handle-bars! And it's white! And sort of girly-looking! Want.
  • Assuaged guilt feelings by taking Dad to the surfing museum. Spent some time watching the incredible surfers from the cliff tops. He LOVED it!

Side challenges:

• Mando: Practice for 20 mins. Not done. Hand still hurts, but that's just an excuse.
  • Walk 2000 steps every day. DONE!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Hi Seabright!

I just had to comment on your thread and say that I think you seriously underestimate your bravery. Almost every entry makes me think "wow, that's brave". Clearly you're dealing with lots of not very easy stuff, but you are *dealing* with it. Very impressive.

I first dropped by because I'm doing a similar challenge this year, and I was curious about what someone else's challenge might look like, and how they'd be coping. And it's fascinating getting an insight into what you've been doing. Also, you write very amusingly. I don't know whether that's deliberate or accidental, but if you've never thought about writing fiction you should!

Now I'm going to apply my own bit of bravery and actually start a battle log of my own. And I'll be following your progress with interest!

Half-Elf Bard, Level 6 Ranger. (Or possibly a Druid?)

We're not aiming for perfection, just progress.

Battle log: Sulinar's challenging 2017

Sulinar! My little pumpkin-seed!

Thanks so much for the kind words (*holds back tears*). Some of this has been, you know, pretty hard, but I've actually found that characterizing all these little moments as moments of 'bravery' has really helped. Makes me feel, well, brave.

And awesome, of course. :-)

I'm very excited for you to get started on your own battle log! It's great to have a place to track all your activity and wins, big and small. I know it will help you in your quest.

Walk the straight and narrow, rebel, and stay strong and true!

• Like 1

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Mon, Mar 6

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spin, bells and onions
  • Snack - nuts and dried fruit, apples
  • Lunch - turkey wrap. cafe closed by the time i was free, and this was still there in the refrigerator. beggars blah blah blah. it had a slice of cheese on it, and I reached in to pull it out, but things got messy really quickly. 
  • Dinner - chicken salad, had 'em hold the cheese.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga - 10 mins of gettin' movin' on a Monday.

Taking time:

• Oh, lots and lots! Drove up to the big city for an invitational jam. Rocked the taco place.

Bravery:

• Tried a song I've never done before at the jam. Keyed it too low, and as it turns out no one their knew the chords, but others valiantly vowelled some harmony. Got through it!

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. DONE! I'm going to count the 3 hours in the car doing hand exercises and practicing my air chops.
  • Walk 2000 steps every day. DONE! Next week will up the minimum.
  • Express gratitude for 3 things each day.
    1. Friends to play music with.
    2. Dolly, our round roly-poly little gray kitty.
    3. Dolly loves our older boy kitty, and that our older girl kitty has decided to let Dolly live.

Human Adventurer

Pumpkin-seed! Ha! I'm a paleo snack!

You're right, though, I think it does help if you actually write down what you do. Sometimes you don't achieve what you set out to, but you tried. Sometimes you have something to do later and you think "Oh, I can't", but then you look back and think "Well, actually, I have done stuff that was like this before, and it was OK", and that helps. What's not good is when you don't keep track of stuff that you suspect - or know - that you did nothing worthy of yourself; that's much worse than trying and failing.

What yoga are you doing? I started with the NF Yoga course but recently I've been doing doyouyoga (starting with the free ones of which there are quite a lot). Many of those are 10 minutes or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Tues, Mar 7

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - fish tacos. didn't wear my glasses and chowed down before I realized everything was covered with shredded cheese. ACK!!
  • Dinner - chicken teriyaki, roasted veggies, steamed broc.
  • Snacks - apple, some sort of weird health bar made with nuts and stuff.

Daily exercise:

• Nada.
  • Well, did some walking. About 2 miles.
  • Fun side note: I tweaked my right hand ROYALLY trying to close the super-groovy clasp on my new fitbit. I had no idea my hand was so weak.
  • Just ordered an after-market band with a clasp.

Taking time:

• Took the route though town on the way home. No one was behind me, so I went slow and admired the houses along the way.

Bravery:

• Called Visiting Angels and asked what's next. 

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done.
  • Walk 2000 steps every day. DONE!
  • Express gratitude for 3 things each day. DONE!
    • Grateful that I was able to leave work while it was still daylight.
    • Saw a red-tailed hawk on the way home.
    • Seeing the hawk reminded me of a time last year. Driving home, and I saw a bald eagle when I passed the reservoir. A bald eagle!! OMG! OMG! Who could I call and tell?? I dialed my dad, who was just as excited as I was. Grateful for these memories.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Mar 8

Eating paleo:

• Snacks - apple, banana, some weird health-food bar-like object
  • Lunch - standard work salad
  • Dinner - seasoned chicken w/bells, broc and onions

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x8 counter push-ups, 3x8 lunges each  leg, 3x8 angled chin-ups, 3x8-second straight-armed side planks each side. Yoga cool down of stretches and twists. 
  • Walked at lunchtime, looking for a geocache. Didn't find it, but it was a beautiful day.

Taking time:

• Stopped at a nursery on the way home. Strolled through the roses and japanese maples, and petted the hostess cat by the front entrance.

Bravery:

• Oy. Finally had the driving talk with Dad. Stuck to my scripted responses, and got things calmed down. Ish. :-)

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. DONE!
  • Walk 2000 steps every day. DONE!
  • Express gratitude for 3 things each day. 
    • There are 2 nurseries right on the way home.
    • It was a GORGEOUS day.
    • Dad telling me about the buckwheat that grows wild along California roadsides. I recognize it, and now find myself pointing it out to others. 

Human Adventurer

Thur, Mar 9

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/spin, bells and onions.
  • Lunch - Chicken salad sandy and a cookie. Really angered by this. Had a lunch meeting and food was sandwiches (all with some sort of dairy product embedded in the main ingredient), potato chips and a chocolate chipper. STARVING, and was booked through until 4pm (after the cafeteria closes). Ate, but was irked. 
  • Snacks - apples.
  • Dinner - chicken teriyaki and 1.5 egg rolls. 

Note: 

I need to get better at this. The piece that's missing here is any kind of planning whatsoever. The spousal unit and I have always bought food for dinner at the last minute to reduce waste, but that's no longer going to cut it. Challenge for next week: plan meals for the week. 

Daily exercise:

• Yoga for about 1/2 hour. Realized that I've been mostly doing stretchy/twisty things, as opposed to targeted poses. Will address that next time.
  • Walking. Did some. Approx 1.2 miles. 

Note:

FitBitting on hold until my new strap arrives. Blew out my palm trying to fasten the original strap. 

Taking time:

• Watered the new baby plantings when I got home from work. Had some daylight left!

Bravery:

• Pushed back mightily on something at work today. I just felt that the approach was wrong. It was a face-off, and I did not back down, to the point where the other person threatened to 'escalate'. My response: good idea! I think you should get more input on this from someone with a strategic perspective. 
  • I may hear about it later at a peer review (doh! there goes my promotion!), but you just can't let fear keep you from speaking up. Say what you think is right, even if your voice shakes.

Side challenges:

• Flash mission (100 squats by 4:30pm Sat). Count so far: 10
  • Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done. *insert sad face here* This was a case where I did not prioritize this. It's only 20 minutes, for Pete's sake. We can delay our Outlander binge-watching for 20 minutes!
  • Express gratitude for 3 things each day. DONE!
    • Grateful for my black Palladium shoes. Flat as a pancake, with a roomy roomy toe box.
    • Grateful for my new friend and workmate PJ, awesome visual designer and human being. 
    • Grateful for the daylight that comes with the earth orbiting around the sun at a slightly cock-eyed angle. Sunny later in the day, yo!

Human Adventurer

Fri, Mar 10

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - bacon and eggs
  • Snack - apple
  • Lunch - salad with chicken and crispy thingies.
  • Dinner - seasoned chicken w/brock, bells, and onions. 1/2 glass red wine.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x8 counter push-ups, 3x10 squats, 3x8 angled pull-ups, 3x8-second straight-armed planks. Yoga cool down of stretches and twists. 
  • A tai chi short form. Wha...? Yeah. First time in years.
  • Walked a bit.

Taking time:

• Morning fun-time with los gatos in the yard. Had the fun of seeing little Dolly stalk our elderly boy kitty all around the garden.

Bravery:

• Called the RV place that I thought might have Dad's trailer. They did! Paid the rent (not paid since my step-mom passed), along with 3 months in advance.

Side challenges:

• Flash mission (100 squats by 4:30pm Sat). Count so far: 50
  • Mando practice for 20 mins. 
  • Walk 2000 steps every day. 
    • It's gorgeous outside!
    • Grateful to have seen little Dolly stalking our elderly boy kitty all around the yard. No pouncing, but lots and lots of prep. 
    • Grateful for this memory of my Dad: He took me and my brother to the Eureka Dunes in Death Valley, a special trip with a small nature group called Desamont. Freezing cold winds, and dry dry dry. We camped by an artisian well, and in the evening, just as the sun was falling, we saw 2 trumpeter swans flying in very low and trumpeting. I'll never forget it.

Human Adventurer

Sat, Mar 11

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/bells, onions and spinach, 3 pieces bacon
  • Snack - apple, blueberry fruit-only smoothie
  • Lunch - asian chicken salad wrap.
  • Dinner - breakfast for dinner. all on my own some, so why not?

Daily exercise:

• Yoga for about 45 minutes. Got up at 5:30am when the kitties wanted out, and ended up getting stuff done!
  • Gardening for approx 2 hours. Ran the tiller, used the landscape rake to smooth the bed, planted all of the little darlings.
  • Walked a bit.

Taking time:

• Tons of time on-my-owning it at the hardware store, and in the garden. Savored the alone time.

Bravery:

• Had Dad 'help' with the planting. He had a lovely time sitting in the garden sunshine, asking me the same 3 questions for around an hour. :-)
  • OHMYGAWD. Have to add this: just did Dad's taxes. Holy smokes!

Side challenges:

• Flash mission (100 squats by 4:30pm Sat). DONE! Final count: 100. 
  • Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done. Ate dinner and then spaced out in front of the TV.
    • The mockingbird is back! So grateful for all that happy singing, and that he returns year after year.
    • The little graykins let me hold her for a longish time this morning. So plump and downy-soft! She even purred a little bit before she started wiggling. 
    • Grateful that the spousal unit and I have in our house 'the table from Las Rocas' that my grandfather made in the mine workshop at Santa Rita, NM. Santa Rita is no more - swallowed by the open pit copper mine long ago - but the table always triggers happy memories for my dad. 

Human Adventurer

Sun, Mar 12

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/bells, onions and spinach, 3 pieces bacon
  • Lunch - BK fish. Gross.
  • Dinner - Spinach and salmon salad, no cheese. Did eat the 2 little tiny pieces of bread that came with. Beer. Needed it.

Daily exercise:

• Whoa. Super-duper stiff from tilling yesterday. Following my goal of listening to twinges, etc, and skipped my scheduled body weight workout. 
  • Yoga for about an hour. Focussed on the poses I haven't done in a long time because they're hard (I'm looking at you, triangle pose). 
  • Walked quite a bit throughout the day. 3.2 miles!

Taking time:

• Sweet, lovely morning time in the garden. The little graykins followed me around, chirping and falling over. I picked her up and she purred before wiggling to be put down. Purrage!

Bravery:

• Attempted to clean the mold off of the bathroom ceiling by myself
  • It was a big fat fail, but I brought up the ladder, put on protective garb, and climbed to the top run with the pole extended on the mop. Cleaning fluid all over the place, and just plain didn't work. Back to the drawing board. But I took a shot at it!
  • I have a feeling that some kind of spray bleach is in my future.

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done. What's wrong with me??
    • Grateful that the brewery had a table outside this afternoon.
    • Grateful that I didn't kill any plants yesterday.
    • Grateful that you can buy California native wildflower seeds online from Larger Seeds. Score!

Human Adventurer

Mon, Mar 13

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - eggs w/bells, onions and spinach.
  • Lunch - salad w/crunchies
  • Snack - apple and a choco-macadamia nut cookie. Cookie fail.
  • Dinner - chicken with a bit of white rice.

Daily exercise:

• Still stiff and achy, but with the addition of a teeny neck/arm/upper back badness twinge from yesterday's ceiling-cleaning attempt.
  • Skipped the BWW again, and did some limbering up yoga stuff.
  • 15 mins yoga.

Taking time:

• Worked from home, and had several little garden breaks. Each time I ended up weeding another little spot. 
  • Ended up taking my laptop out there and working for the last couple of hours.

Bravery:

• Signed the sale docs for Dad's house!
  • Brought him to our place, met the mobile notary, and got it all done.
  • He asked over and over how much he got for the place. Part of it was what's going on with him, but part of it was that he really couldn't believe his little house had appreciated so much over the years. ;-)

Side challenges:

Upping my daily walking goal by 500 steps.

• Mando practice for 20 mins. DONE!
  • Walk 2500 steps every day. Not done. Fitbit didn't reset last night, and I found that particularly de-motivating. Had no idea I was so fragile.

Human Adventurer

Tue, Mar 14

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - salad w/chicken and crunchies
  • Snack - apple
  • Dinner - salmon with green beans, brussels sprouts and a little bit of rice. Plus a couple of my dad's french fries.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x9 counter push-ups, 3x9 lunges each  leg, 3x9 angled chin-ups, 3x-second straight-armed side planks each side. Yoga cool down of stretches and twists.
  • Upped everything by 1 rep. Yay for me!
  • Feeling juuuuuust a bit twingeriffic in the ol' neck-arm area. Will pay attention to this the rest of the day.
  • Walking - 1.6 miles

Taking time:

• Worked from home, and took periodic extremely lovely little breaks in the back garden. Ceanothus Wheeler Canyon now in full bloom! Gorgeous!
  • The little gray plumpster followed me around and chirped. I didn't pick her up, but she seemed to make it a point to fall over at my feet several times. :-)

Bravery:

• Filled out the LTC insurance forms, gathered the info, and got Dad to sign 'em. 
  • Made an appt at the DMV for Dad to get his CA ID. This will be hard, since he's none too pleased about not getting to drive, but it has to be done. Going in next Tuesday. Pre-girding loins.
  • Called an RV dealer in Medford and got the skinny on selling the MASSIVE trailer (3 slide-outs!) on consignment. Someone's gonna have to go up there. Sent note to my brother containing strong hint-age. 
  • Looked over the above and seeing that this was sort of a brave-ass day for me. 

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. DONE! Made it a priority, and did it even though I was tired.
  • Walk 2500 steps every day. DONE! No one more surprised than myself.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Mar 15

Eating paleo:

• Lunch -work salad
  • Snack - 2 of the very worst healthy paleo-ish bar-like objects I've ever consumed. Blech.
  • Dinner - 1.5 fish tacos - no cheese, no sour cream. 1 beer.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga for 10 minutes. 
  • Filled-in on the bass with High Country, local hard-drivin' bluegrass band. The fellers are bad-ass. Drenched in sweat by the first break, but kept up.
  • Walked 10,000 steps!

Taking time:

• Sat in my car for a few minutes before driving up to Oakland. Cogitated.

Bravery:

• Two (2) conversations with the LTC insurance company.
  • Conversation 1 - we will be denying your father's claim. Conversation 2 - will be approving your father's claim. 
  • Oh. My. God. 
  • Huge bravery points here. Stayed calm, stayed focused. Yay for me!
  • PLUS -- I finally got the nerve up to wear my beautiful silk kimono thingie I bought from Anthropologie a few months ago. Very dramatic and I've never had the guts to wear it. This morning I thought, 'Hey, I bought this puppy for a reason. I'm wearing it tonight, by golly.'
  • Oh, and, guess what, guess what? A friend of my brother's that I had a HUGE HUGE crush on many years ago happened to come in to see the band. Completely random. Just as cute as ever.  VERY glad I had decided to put on makeup. And glad that I wore my tremendously glamorous and slimming kimono thingie. ;-)

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done, but I get a pass on this. Played a gig with one of the best mando players in the area and got a master lesson.
  • Walk 2500 steps every day. DONE! 10,000 steps!

Human Adventurer

Hey Seabright!

Sounds like you're still working hard at this bravery thing! All the paperwork and contacts relating to your Dad's condition sound pretty tough, and I'm very impressed by how you're just getting on with them. I mean, for all I know you may be panicking or putting stuff off IRL, but out here in cyberspace it looks like you're incredibly organised and focused.

With bravery, the bit I find the most difficult is that when you've been brave over one thing and think "Yeah, that's done", you look up and there's another one you have to do. I wonder whether one day you just find that they come easily? Or is it that you do things that other people would think were brave without even thinking about it and these things, that you find so difficult, would be easy for other people? (And by "you" here, I mean "one", of course, but I just can't bring myself to write it.)

Anyway, I'm amused that you go looking for geocaches but don't find them and just enjoy the walk instead. I reckon that 2 out of 3 caches I go looking for just turn into an excuse to be out somewhere nice in the world.

As far as your mouldy ceiling goes, have a look for remedies using white vinegar. I've found it to be invaluable for a number of things like that (retrieving both an ancient leather jacket that had gone mouldy and our outbuilding, which the previous owners had used as a smoking cabin for 35 years with predictably smelly results - oh, and it also makes an excellent weedkiller too, if mixed with a little washing up liquid). 

:-)

For the bravery thing, I cry in the car a lot. ;-)

And thanks for the white vinegar tip! *Adds to shopping list*

• Like 1

Human Adventurer

Thus, Mar 16

Eating paleo:

Daily exercise:

•  

Taking time:

•  

Bravery:

•  

Side challenges:

• Walk 2500 steps every day. 

Human Adventurer

Whoops! Time to catch up. Got busy and crazed and stretched and zappified. 

Did some good stuff, some not-so-good stuff, had some fun and had some hard times. Some days a diamond, some days a stone. Played my big guitar twice, first time since the ol' neck injury a couple of years ago. Like hugging an old friend, but more successful standing than sitting. Sang some, once went great, once was middlin', and the last time I couldn't hit a note on pitch to save my life. Ate some good stuff, and thinking about it, not a lot of bad stuff. Did some yoga, pulled some weeds, visited a memory care place, and such as that.

Back here and back on track!

---------

Tues, Mar 21

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - work salad
  • Snack - fruit/nut bar, apple
  • Dinner - lemon chicken, roasted veggies, steamed broc.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x10 counter push-ups, 3x10 squats, 3x10 angled pull-ups, 3x10-second straight-armed planks. Yoga cool down child-posing-it and stretching my feet.
  • Got my fitbit back on my wrist! Yay!
  • Walked 2.5 miles.

Taking time:

• Went and looked at the groovy workout clothes when I was at the grocery store. 
  • Later, I just cruised images of pretty California native plant gardens before falling asleep.

Bravery:

• Brought up the idea of moving to Dad. 
  • Said we thought we found a place that felt homier, and that maybe he would like it better. Was he happy here? He had mentioned feeling like it was 'too institutional.' 
  • Told him that we really liked the vibe and thought he would, too, but that the trade-off would be the apartment would be smaller. It was closer to the ocean, though.
  • Strategy worked! He started to get excited, and want to know when we could go see the other place.
  • Yay!

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done. Again. Got home around 9pm and was tired. This is an excuse, though. I watched TV for another hour, and could easily have done 20 mins of playing before I settled in on the couch. Priorities!
  • Walk 2500 steps every day. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Wed, Mar 22

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - work salad
  • Snack - apple

Daily exercise:

• Yoga for 30 minutes. Overslept, but did it anyway, and very glad I did, too.

Taking time:

•  

Bravery:

• Going to a jam without the spousal unit tonight. 

Side challenges:

• Walk 2500 steps every day. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Wed, Mar 22 - Sun, Mar 26

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - All good, all the time
  • Lunch - mostly salads, 1 wrap
  • Dinner - mostly good, 1 dinner w/fish tacos, beans and rice
  • Snacks - not-good choices abounded, and I can see these are my downfall, the reason for weight gain and not-weight-loss.

Daily exercise:

• Did yoga between 10-30 mins every day.
  • Thurs work-out - 3 x 10 of everything, lunges and chins day.
  • Sun work-out - 3 x 10 of everything, squats and pulls day.
  • Sunday - big-time gardening, wielding the clippers and major out-arm strength. Killer leg workout, too. Went to bed a bit achy.

Taking time:

• Much quiet time in the garden, standing quietly.

Bravery:

• Wed - went to the jam w/o the spousal unit.
  • Thur - Sun - too much bravery going on to mention. The final outcome on Sunday night: Dad will be moving to the a memory care place not far away, and he's excited and looking forward to it! He also said he wants to sell the truck...AND the trailer.
  • If you ever find yourself in this position, ask me how we got that one done. Patience and love, little ones, patience and love.

Side challenges:

• Mando practice for 20 mins. Not. One. Time.
  • Walk 2500 steps every day. DONE!

Human Adventurer

REBOOOOOOOOT! Everyone gets a mulligan!!

Mon, Mar 27

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - the usual egg breakfast. Immediate fail at Starbucks with a Michigan Cherry Bar, though.
  • Lunch - chicken, roasted carrots, baba ganouch
  • Dinner - can't remember. it probably well-planned and sensible, though

Daily exercise:

• 30 mins of yoga. Focused on tree pose.
  • Finally subscribed to Yoga Journal. Have been feeling the need for more inspiration.
  • Walked 3,200 steps.

Taking time:

• Hid out in a little focus room at work for a couple of hours. 
  • Nice to get out of the bull pen!

Bravery:

• Bravery on the books for today:
    • Contactl Aegis, ask about next steps, and find out when we can move in. DONE! Email sent, waiting for reply.
    • Depending on move-in date outcome: 
      • Call Dominican Oaks and give notice. DONE! Left the director with a heads-up message.
      • Research moving companies and pick 3 to call once we have a final move date. DONE! Final date still pending, but I know who I'll be calling.
    • Call Anbar Storage and give notice on the truck storage. DONE! The clock is now ticking to sell the truck.

Side challenges:

• Get up when the alarm goes off, every day. DONE! 4:45 am. Boom!
  • No alcohol this week. DONE! Hot mint tea instead.
  • Review Epic Quest, spruce up, and create 1 action plan.
  • Get out my rope. 
  • Mando practice for 20 mins. DONE!

Human Adventurer

Tue, Mar 28

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - the usual egg breakfast.
  • Snack - apple
  • Lunch - chicken with broc and teriyaki sauce, no rice, yes egg roll, yes diet coke.
  • Dinner - seasoned chicken breast, bells, onions and broc.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x10 counter push-ups, 3x10 lunges each leg, 3x10 angled chin-ups, 3x10-second side straight-armed planks each side. Yoga cool down in front of the fireplace.
  • Walked 3.2K steps.

Taking time:

• Lovely warm evening in the garden.

Bravery:

• Bravery on the books for today:
    • Finalize Dad's assessment appointment for the new place. DONE!
    • Finalize move date. April 8, ye gods. DONE!
    • Call LTC insurance and confirm things in general. DONE!
    • Call 3 movers. I think I'm going to have to end up just using whoever's available, though. DONE! Booked one for Apr 8!

Side challenges:

• Get up when the alarm goes off, every day. DONE!
  • No alcohol this week. DONE!
  • Get out my rope. 

Human Adventurer

Wed, Mar 29

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - fish tacos, no cheese, no sauce, no beans, no rice. 3 tortilla chips.
  • Snack - blueberry fruit shake
  • Dinner - lemongrass chicken and roasted veggies.

Daily exercise:

• Yoga or 30 mins. Focused on stretching out the ol' sides.
  • Walked 4.2K steps. yay!

Taking time:

• Lovely lunch with a friend who's been down that long path. 

Bravery:

• Went in to work, even though yesterday I was on a conference call and inadvertently left my mic live while i started making calls to moving companies. Mortified!!!!
  • Held my head high, and laughed along ruefully when people razzed me about it. :-)
  • Did the taxes! Done and done! Yay-ness!

Side challenges:

• No alcohol this week. DONE!
  • Review Epic Quest, spruce up, and create 1 action plan. In process. Making my list and checking it twice.
  • Get out my rope. 
  • Mando practice for 20 mins. Not done. Did the taxes instead, though. :-)

Human Adventurer

Thur, Mar 30

Eating paleo:

• Lunch - chicken salad wrap.
  • Dinner - lemon chicken and roasted veggies.
  • Snack - 1/2 Diet Pepsi
  • Drinkin' - 2 beers (<- fail)

Daily exercise:

• Yoga warm-up, followed by 3x10 counter push-ups, 3x10 squats, 3x10 angled pull-ups, 3x10-second straight-armed planks. Yoga cool down trying to stretch out that ol' IT band.
  • Walked 3.9k steps

Taking time:

• Took my laptop out back and worked in the garden. Lovely.

Bravery:

• Met Aegis care manager and facilities director with dad. They are now putting together a care plan and we'll meet on Monday to take a look.
  • Talked to Dad last night, and he didn't remember anything about the upcoming move, visiting aegis, talking about scaling back furniture. it was all gone. i've worked up a list of key-words that resonate with him, so when i talk about this and find myself reselling it (every day is new for him), I can hit the high points right off the bat. 
  • Played my mandolin in a jam!!!! It was only 3 of us singing songs after dinner, but I kept up. You know, 'ish'. 

Side challenges:

• No alcohol this week. Welllll... Had 2 beers. Technically not 'alcohol', but also not in the spirit of the challenge. Calling this one a fail. Also, need to get it in my noggin that you can have playing music with just a cup of hot tea in your hand. ;-)
  • Get out my rope. 

Human Adventurer

Fri, Mar 31

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - breakfast sandy on a croissant, plus a butter cookie. No bueno.
  • Lunch - chicken salad wrap.
  • Dinner - chicken strips.
  • Snack - butter cookie

Daily exercise:

• Yoga for 30 minutes. Standing poses.
  • Walked 4.2K steps.

Taking time:

• Sat in the garden and cogitated.

Bravery:

• Took Dad to the doc for his TB test.
  • Told him again about his awesome new apartment.

Side challenges:

• No alcohol this week. Beer while doing the monthly finances.
  • Review Epic Quest, spruce up, and create 1 action plan. DONE!
  • Get out my rope. 

Human Adventurer