why do we fall down?

I've debated this post for more than a week because I'm embarrassed to be writing it again. Last spring, I wrote a heartfelt confession of my utter failure and an impassioned declaration of my intent to, once and for all, this time for real, no seriously I mean it, lose weight and get healthy. 

And then I didn't. Again. 

I'm frustrated, angry, sad, and (more than) a little scared. I've been overweight all of my adult life and I cannot imagine that carrying the extra hundred pounds lends itself to longevity. So here I am again, hoping against hope that this time might be the time. I don't really have a plan, I'm just going to get up tomorrow, drink a ton of water, try to eat less garbage and move around some. While that won't be a best-selling plan anytime soon, it's lost me 5 lbs since Christmas. I have set some goals for the year and some milestones along the way, so there will be things to celebrate when I get there. 

This reads quite negative and borderline depressed. That's not my intent. This is possible. I can do it. Many others in this community have demonstrated that. I'm praying and believing that a year from now I will be smaller and healthier and have accomplished other goals along the way. 

Thanks for enduring the ramble. Here's to getting back up. 

• Like 2

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Good luck! Maybe joining the 4 week challenge can help add some accountability?

The Doctor: "I travel. Through time and space."

Donna Noble: "He saves worlds, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures and runs a lot. Seriously, there's an outrageous amount of running involved."

Is it worth thinking about what is causing the eating of garbage? I think sometimes we need to get to the bottom of why it's happening before we can do something about it. I can be an emotional eater, and there was a period a few months ago when I was over-eating more often than not. It was related to certain stresses I was going through. I eventually learned that I needed to talk to others and/or allow myself to cry about it rather than bottling it all in. That really helped me get a hold on things.

2 hours ago, FallenAngel said:

Is it worth thinking about what is causing the eating of garbage? I think sometimes we need to get to the bottom of why it's happening before we can do something about it. 

I've thought about this. Recently, there is some work stress / frustration that has led to an uptick, but in general it seems to just be habit. So those have to be adjusted. One of the things I've done over the last couple of weeks is change lunch plans - I go home instead of grabbing something and going back to the office. Baby steps. 

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

16 hours ago, Curiouswonder said:

I don't really have a plan, I'm just going to get up tomorrow, drink a ton of water, try to eat less garbage and move around some. While that won't be a best-selling plan anytime soon, it's lost me 5 lbs since Christmas. I have set some goals for the year and some milestones along the way, so there will be things to celebrate when I get there. 

guy-with-a-plan.gif

@Curiouswonder I think you do have a plan.  Drinking more water, eating healthier, and moving your body around more are the core concepts of improving fitness. This community is a great example of how those three concepts don't need to fall into any specific regimen/style/etc.  I agree wholeheartedly with Ennue and FallenAngel, but I also think you're taking steps in the right direction.  And there is only one way to eat an elephant...one bite at a time.

You've got this.

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

@Mr.Six fair point. I think what I mean is that I'm not currently following one of the systems (paleo, zero belly, etc.) currently en vogue. 

Thanks for the encouragement.