Anim Prepares for the New Year

Anim07734

The shift back to normal was almost complete, but a few areas of twisted reality remained.  Anim was tempted to ignore them in favor of more desirable objectives, but recognized that as another path to failure.  Perhaps a middle road could be made to work.  First he would need to assess his current standing and make a plan to move forward.

So I had everything planned out for a "back to costuming" challenge to begin the new year, but that pile of rock still blocking half my driveway isn't going to move itself.  Plus all the other projects I've started/have in planning that need to be knocked out to make space for other things.  So this month is going to be spent getting back on track with my healthy habits and hopefully finishing out some projects to I can get to what I want to be doing with the rest of the year.

Workouts

-Do at least 3 strength sessions per week - shifting focus a little from previous challenges in an attempt to make bulking more efficient; I'll still be getting my other workouts (running/HIIT, sports, and yard work) but they won't be the priority

-Practice handstands at least 5x per week - I'm getting closer and closer to a "good" free handstand and I really want this to be the year I get pictures doing one as Nightcrawler; I've got 8mo until Dragoncon, so it's just a matter of remembering to practice

Diet

-Calorie tracking - as much as I continue to dislike it, I still need this to stay on track; fortunately, it's a pretty solid habit now

-Cook at least 2x per week - I've noticed that I eat much better when I cook myself, so going to work on making that more consistent; now I just need my dishes to start washing themselves...

Projects

-Make a list of current/planned projects and prioritize it - self-explanatory, I need to know where I'm at and where I'm going, in what order; due by 13Jan

-Start crossing things off said list - success criteria TBD once the list is complete

And for continuity, here's my last challenge.

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

-Cook at least 2x per week - I've noticed that I eat much better when I cook myself, so going to work on making that more consistent; now I just need my dishes to start washing themselves...

If you figure out how to make this happen, please share your secrets. 

Looking forward to the new year of costuming and other crafts, always neat to see skilled people making cool things. :) Good idea to clear the way first, though. Good luck on the handstand, I have faith in you.

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

How long have you been costuming for? That's a really cool hobby. Also dishes are probably my #1 reason for not cooking my own food :(

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Costuming has always been a thing for me.  Growing up my mom made costumes for us every halloween, and the pieces that survived ended up in a box in the closet to be used and combined whenever we wanted to play dressup.  Or reused in later years.  I made my first solo costume (plate mail and longsword from cardboard and duct tape) in high school.  Then did 4years as Heavyarms (Gundam Wing) for Sakuracon during college.  Found a group of friends who wanted to do Dragoncon 5 years ago and have been doing more and more elaborate costumes for that ever since.  The plan this year is Alphonse Elric for a Full Metal Alchemist group and just reuse costumes for the other days.  I currently have Nightcrawler (classic X-men), Prince Hans (Disney villains), the Question (DC/Justice League), Kid Flash (Young Justice), and Wash (Firefly).

And yes, I HATE doing dishes.  I worked as a dishwasher for a year during high school and it soured me to the entire process.  I don't mind cooking, and I'm pretty good at it.  But I'm constantly fighting the urge to just buy new dishes instead of cleaning the ones I have. :ambivalence:

• Like 4

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

And yes, I HATE doing dishes.  I worked as a dishwasher for a year during high school and it soured me to the entire process.  I don't mind cooking, and I'm pretty good at it.  But I'm constantly fighting the urge to just buy new dishes instead of cleaning the ones I have. :ambivalence:

Image result for doing dishes gif

I've seriously thought of just using disposable all around. 

• Like 2

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I currently have Nightcrawler (classic X-men), Prince Hans (Disney villains), the Question (DC/Justice League), Kid Flash (Young Justice), and Wash (Firefly).

Pics please!

I love cosplay. :o) Which I had the talent!! It's definitely something I would love to get into. It's my favorite part of Comic-Con and Halloween. Haha!

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Image result for doing dishes gif

I've seriously thought of just using disposable all around. 

If I could cook on paper plates, I might. :playful:  Doubt that would work well on the stove though.

9 hours ago, Lilmissbri said:

Pics please!

I love cosplay. :o) Which I had the talent!! It's definitely something I would love to get into. It's my favorite part of Comic-Con and Halloween. Haha!

It's not as hard to start as you might think.  I start most of my costumes at Goodwill looking for pieces that just need some minor tweaks.  After that is Amazon for the same thing.  Any actual crafting skills develop over time as you build on what you already know.  And the most important skill you can learn is how to use hot glue and safety pins to fix things at the last minute. :playful:

Successful costuming is mostly just getting into character and having fun with it.  Your costume doesn't have to be perfect, but if you practice a couple in-character poses and look comfortable, people will think it is.

29150465493_2286108582.jpg

Fancy Nightcrawler

21236923049_a7255da607_z.jpg

Perching Buddies

15365625699_1f0a7a3856_z.jpg

27179398560_eafbb10d2d_z.jpg

Marvel

29483601070_b6674c7aa9.jpg

Kid Flash

29695670651_a7ca2719e4_c.jpg

Young Justice

27392737046_62f5f48843_z.jpg

The Question

27384310751_30fc1522b0_z.jpg

Justice League

27328079812_444f1d5c2d_z.jpg

Wash

22142304424_7d0807400f_z.jpg

Prince Hans

15549571731_96ba889e9f_z.jpg

Star Wars/Nintendo Crossover

• Like 3

Awesome pics!! I've dabbled a bit, but don't go to too many events that require them. My favourite one I did was Hagrid for the release of the Deathly Hallows. 

(I still haven't figured out to shrink pics to acceptable size limits) 

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

7 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Awesome pics!! I've dabbled a bit, but don't go to too many events that require them. My favourite one I did was Hagrid for the release of the Deathly Hallows. 

Oooh bet that was a great one! 

Yeah the resizing of pictures has also been a frustration of mine. I just link my Instagram picture. 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Those are great!! Prince Hans is incredible. I want to dress up as Dark Phoenix one of these days. That material your friend used for Phoenix was perfect! So jealous!! Keep up the amazing work!

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap

On 1/8/2017 at 2:50 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I post photos to Flickr with their phone app, then go on the computer and select whatever size I want to share.  Since it's part of yahoo, I already had an account.

I'm officially starting my challenge yesterday, since I prefer to lump weekends into a single day's worth of productivity, which means I can claim this challenge is off to a good start.

Checked my body comp for the first time since getting home and was surprised to find that it didn't change significantly over the holidays.  That doesn't counter all the terrible decisions I made prior, but it does make them easier to correct now.  So I'm going to plan a minor cut to get back to my pre-halloween size (~1in on my waist), then try bulking again.  If I do it right, that'll give me enough time to add some muscle before I need to cut back down for costumes.

Made dinner last night (crockpot chicken and veggies) and did my first strength session for the week (AMRAP tests for the mini).  Handstand practice is much harder at the end of a workout than it is at the beginning. :playful:

I've also started my project list, though it's going to take a bit before it's anywhere near complete (only ~60 items so far :().

• Like 3

"Only" sixty items. That should keep you busy for a while, yeah. Grats on making it through the holidays unchanged! I wish I could say the same, alas. Thanks for putting the mini together, by the way. Very thankful the joining didn't involve drinking potentially deadly things. :) 

• Like 2

So here's my project list so far (now up to 70 items).  I may add a couple more things, if I remember them tomorrow, otherwise, I'll try to write them down to add next month.  I've also called out my top 5 projects in "adult stuff" and "fun stuff."  The adult stuff has priority, but I'm not going to pretend that I won't be doing fun projects as well. :playful:  Ideally, I'll start at the top of the priorities and work my way down, but weather, supplies, and my mood will decide what I actually work on when.

On the workout front, I got my 3rd handstand practice for the week, then got a new PR at deadlift:  295lb, which is double my body weight.  It seemed like a better idea than burning down a building because my customers are being stupid. :ambivalence:  Finished out the session with 3x8 uneven pushups and 3x4 archer pullups, which ended up being a little pathetic and showed that I need to work on strengthening my left arm to balance myself out again.

Should get some handstands in either before or after office sports tomorrow, then have to figure out how to get a 5th handstand session and 3rd strength session over the weekend.

• Like 4

That is an impressive list, for sure. What, may I ask, is Polly the Demon Parrot? 

Grats on the deadlift, and not burning the building down. Today is Friday the 13th and a full moon, so the stupid appears to be out in force. Good luck.

• Like 1

So I've got a friend who likes to pick up miniatures armies, spend a couple months customizing them, then decide they're not *EXACTLY* what he wants.  So he sells them and picks a new game/army to do the same thing with.  A couple years ago, he made a Chaos army for WH40k (shortly before GW decided balanced rulesets are for chumps and whoever spent the most money, the most recently should just win every game).  As part of that army, he picked up a hell drake, but decided he didn't like the look and used extra bits from some of the other beasts in the army to customize it.  The result was immediately labelled "Polly the Demon Parrot."  When he inevitably sold the army, I picked up Polly with the comment "I don't know what it's going to be, but my DnD players are going to hate me for it."  He hasn't made an appearance yet, but just knowing I have him has made some players worry. :playful:  I'll try to get pictures this weekend, even half painted, he's pretty impressive looking.  Currently, I'm debating if I want to order new gold paint for the filigree, or suck it up and do the 3-4 coats required with my current stuff.

• Like 7

I present Polly the Demon Parrot (still in progress):

32000927240_875b30f9e9_z.jpg

32378130815_f25402f5bd_z.jpg

"F@$# crackers.  Polly wants your soul!"

For reference, here's the helldrake model he's based on.

Last week ended pretty well, got my 3rd strength workout on Sunday, including my 5th handstand practice.  Only cooked once, as I decided not to get groceries before the long weekend.  Which meant that yesterday's lunch consisted of peanut butter by the spoon, and dinner was the last of my spaghetti noodles with salt and pepper...  And instead of doing yardwork like I was supposed to, I spent all day playing video games (Dragon Age :ambivalence:).  About my only accomplishments for the day were handstand practice right before getting to bed on time for a change.

First strength session and second handstand practice for the week today though, despite getting stuck late at work, plus cooked dinner when I got home with groceries.  I'm going to keep my standard "catch-up" rule for cooking (extras in a week count for half), so I doubt I'll make up the lost meal last week.  Cooking twice a week generally gives me 8 meals, so any more will just end up going bad and getting thrown out.  Fortunately, I'm hosting a party this weekend (Alice in Wonderland Unbirthday party), so I'll be able to count the two healthy options I'm planning for that (pulled pork stuffed peppers and twice baked potatoes).  The deserts won't count, even though I'm cooking some of them. :playful:

• Like 4

On 1/13/2017 at 9:41 AM, Anim07734 said:

I picked up Polly with the comment "I don't know what it's going to be, but my DnD players are going to hate me for it."  He hasn't made an appearance yet, but just knowing I have him has made some players worry. :playful: 

After seeing the pictures, I think they have good reason to be worried. Even if all it did was fall out of the sky and land on them, they'd be dead. :) 

Grats on a solid week 1.. may I ask the logic behind not going shopping before a long weekend? I'd think that's when you would want to go shopping, so you have time to prep. Either way, the Unbirthday party sounds interesting, especially the not-counting desserts. : D

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

32378130815_f25402f5bd_z.jpg

That looks amazing. XD

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 8:07 AM, Manarelle said:

may I ask the logic behind not going shopping before a long weekend? I'd think that's when you would want to go shopping, so you have time to prep.

There was no logic involved, just colossal stupidity and an impressive amount of laziness. :playful: "It's okay, I've got food for tomorrow, so I'll get groceries then."  Right up until that would require a special trip just to get groceries, and I was in no mood to leave the house.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Right up until that would require a special trip just to get groceries, and I was in no mood to leave the house.

I feel ya.

• Like 2

Well, the forums are annoying me again.  Towards the end of last week, they decided that I wasn't following anything, especially not the threads I post in regularly...  Ended up losing track of this one while focusing on the mini updates.

Last week was pretty lackluster, barely managed to get 3 strength workouts, if I count GtG sets of shrimp squats on Sunday for the mini, and only worked up the motivation to do 3 handstand practices.  The party did get me up to 4 cooked meals for the week, but that backfired as I spent most of the night stuffing my face with delicious potato.  And still have leftovers to finish before I can start cooking for this week.  Maybe I'll figure something to do with all the extra pulled pork that I can still count as "cooking."  Between all the potato, tea/alcohol combos, and cakes, cookies, and candy (both during the party and leftover afterwards), I added a half-inch to my waist and still haven't managed to get back on a deficit.  Lesson for next time: make less food, unless people actual confirm for a change.

Making minor progress on projects.  Bedroom fan has been fixed as well as I care to.  It still wobbles and squeeks occasionally, but I know I'll be replacing it with a model I actually want in a couple years, so meh.  It was free, and moves air.  My family miniatures (custom made with faces of myself and my siblings in both fantasy and sci fi groups, plus my niece as a princess and a fairy) are all repaired and base painted, so I just have to start the actual painting.  Decided to just order new paint for Polly, as the current gold paint isn't covering anything and I'm just ruining the rest of the paint job trying, so he's on hold for a bit.  Got my wood elves Monday, to find out that they're not intended to be customized, but I'm going to do it anyway.  I'll probably work on them some more while waiting for the new paints to get in.

Still haven't worked up the motivation to start yardwork again.  Hopefully, I'll get home early enough tonight to do something, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1