NF D&D group? (with a twist)

I've had this idea knocking around in my skull for a while, and I figured I'd test the waters & see if anybody would be interested.

The idea: Skype or chat-based D&D group for NF members with weekly 'meetings'. The plot twist: Your adventurer's class/race is based on the class/race you picked for yourself for 'gamifying your life', and can only gain experience/level up through your performance in the 4 week challenges.

I had the idea after seeing all the fitness challenges that were based on nerdy situations (kill the boss by doing pushups, travel to mordor by running/swimming/biking actual miles, etc). I thought they were fun, but I kind of wanted to take my character on an actual adventure, where she fought with a sword, collected loot, and had a real storyline, but where her power came from my own abilities. It would be pretty motivating to know I really needed to work hard (train hard!) on doing as well as possible on my challenges (which I have a history of losing motivation for :( ) if I wanted to stand a chance of defeating a big, bad monster/rescuing some personage/getting that loot. Plus talk about accountabilibuddies - the group would be personally invested in each other's fitness success!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one that thinks this would be fun/motivating, and I'm also hoping there's some saint out there that would DM for this, because 1) I have no idea how to do so and 2) I kinda want to be a player, cus I'm not a saint. Ideally, the group would consist of a DM, and 3-5 players (including myself of course) of a few different classes. If you'd like to play, but don't really want to be your own class (or if the group has a strong need for a different class), that's fine - I just personally would find it more motivating for my own class to match.

So... Anybody interested?

• Like 1

Level 1 Half-elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

'From flabby geek to Sheik and Mystique'

Instagram: LJaybirdfly

Current Challenge:

43 minutes ago, LydiaJaybird said:

I've had this idea knocking around in my skull for a while, and I figured I'd test the waters & see if anybody would be interested.

The idea: Skype or chat-based D&D group for NF members with weekly 'meetings'. The plot twist: Your adventurer's class/race is based on the class/race you picked for yourself for 'gamifying your life', and can only gain experience/level up through your performance in the 4 week challenges.

I had the idea after seeing all the fitness challenges that were based on nerdy situations (kill the boss by doing pushups, travel to mordor by running/swimming/biking actual miles, etc). I thought they were fun, but I kind of wanted to take my character on an actual adventure, where she fought with a sword, collected loot, and had a real storyline, but where her power came from my own abilities. It would be pretty motivating to know I really needed to work hard (train hard!) on doing as well as possible on my challenges (which I have a history of losing motivation for :( ) if I wanted to stand a chance of defeating a big, bad monster/rescuing some personage/getting that loot. Plus talk about accountabilibuddies - the group would be personally invested in each other's fitness success!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one that thinks this would be fun/motivating, and I'm also hoping there's some saint out there that would DM for this, because 1) I have no idea how to do so and 2) I kinda want to be a player, cus I'm not a saint. Ideally, the group would consist of a DM, and 3-5 players (including myself of course) of a few different classes. If you'd like to play, but don't really want to be your own class (or if the group has a strong need for a different class), that's fine - I just personally would find it more motivating for my own class to match.

So... Anybody interested?

Such a fun idea Lydia! There's a few concepts like this out there in the forums. They're not quite what you described, but the ranger Mini challenge does similar.

Level 38 [TBD]

We've had similar threads/games in the past, but the problem we keep running into is the workload required to maintain them (let alone build and tweak the rules to be fair and balanced).  I had an idea for a D&D style dungeon crawl game similar to your suggestion, but had to drop it when I started helping with the assassin mini-challenges.  There's just not enough time in the day. :(

15 minutes ago, Bighara said:

I would play, but D&D monks stink! :P 

Someone hasn't tried 5E yet.  :friendly_wink:  (Or broken 3.5 enough; our last 3.5 monk did something like 10d8 damage a hit.)

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

We've had similar threads/games in the past, but the problem we keep running into is the workload required to maintain them (let alone build and tweak the rules to be fair and balanced).  I had an idea for a D&D style dungeon crawl game similar to your suggestion, but had to drop it when I started helping with the assassin mini-challenges.  There's just not enough time in the day. :(

Someone hasn't tried 5E yet.  :friendly_wink:  (Or broken 3.5 enough; our last 3.5 monk did something like 10d8 damage a hit.)

You're talking to the Grand Master of Flowers! (1st edition AD&D) :D

On 1/6/2017 at 4:20 PM, Bighara said:

I would recommend Roll20 for online tabletop RPG-ing. It works with Google Hangouts as well. You can get an account for free too! 

I would play, but D&D monks stink! :P 

You don't have to play your actual NF class!! (that's more a rule for me personally) The important bit is leveling up via your fitness goals!

Level 1 Half-elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

'From flabby geek to Sheik and Mystique'

Instagram: LJaybirdfly

Current Challenge:

On 1/6/2017 at 4:20 PM, Bighara said:

I would recommend Roll20 for online tabletop RPG-ing. It works with Google Hangouts as well. You can get an account for free too! 

Roll20 is a good system. Works with any combination of people using video, audio, or just chat.

Count me as super curious for this adventure. I don't think I can DM, but I can potentially help with setting scoring/rules if someone else does the creative adventure side.

But I can't do any kind of real time online thing if it is more than about an hour. (My local DM figures it's just not a game unless it is 4+ hours. I don't know if that is the norm.) 

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

My ever-changing work schedule doesn't allow me anything remotely routine, but I've always wanted to participate in something D&D related. I can tell a story if that'll help!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."