Jump to content

deborahjade enters basic training


deborahjade

Recommended Posts

My Main Quest
To run a sub-30 min 5k by the end of the year.
 
I believe I can do this.. my peak last year in May was running 6.1 km in 34:06 (pace of 5:34). The catch right now is that I haven't run since Sept/Oct last year early in my pregnancy due to doctor's advice. And I don't plan on starting to run until around July/August this year to give my body some time to recover after the pregnancy.
In the meantime, to set me up for success, I need to take the opportunity to build strong habits in the basic areas: in eating well, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, being active by lots of walking(ie 10,000 steps), doing core exercises.. all those things that are easy to ignore, but definitely add up to make a strong running base.
 
So I'm starting my first challenge of the year by returning to basics.
 
1. Drink 2.5L water daily
I don't particularly like drinking water, but I know I need to drink more than I do (especially being pregnant + Australian summer). I've been drinking around 2L per day over the last couple of months, and now want to level up to build a habit of 2.5L per day. To support my habit, I have several drink bottles I fill up and work through over the day, and I bring my own filtered water from home as I prefer the taste.
 
2. Strength exercise 2x weekly
I've totally fallen off the exercise wagon with stopping running (and being exhausted in trimester one) and I really need to get back on track and get the habit of doing strength exercises. I can tell the difference in my core when I've been doing them. And given I'm still picking up my 17kg 2.5yo, I need to look after my core/back muscles as much as possible. I will focus on doing the NF bodyweight exercises from level 1 (modifying where I need to) but will make up my own routines if I feel like variety.
 
3.Food journal daily
I have found writing down what I am eating helps me make better choices. And I would like to get a couple of months of food written to down to help identify some trigger foods for ongoing medical issues. I'll most likely do this in an Excel document on Google drive so I can set it up however I want + log a million snacks a day :)
 
4. Write book review for each book I complete
Last year, I read a lot of books (161 to be exact). This year, I want to slow down and read less books, with a focus on reading more deeply. To help me achieve this, I have challenged myself to write a Goodreads review for every book that I read this year. And once I finish a book (since I have multiple going at the same time), I must write and post the review before I can read any other books. I finished my first book yesterday and was stoked to get the review written and posted. I'm looking forward to looking back at my progress over the year and seeing my reviewing skills improve with practice.
  • Like 4

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Last night I set up a page in my Bullet Journal to track my progress over the next four weeks.. and then I dug up an old instagram account to post pictures for accountability and to start following fitnessy ppl for inspiration.

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO6sLDFDyrK/?taken-by=deborahjade


I can't work out how to get the instagram thing to show up properly in the post.

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post
On 1/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, deborahjade said:
My Main Quest
1. Drink 2.5L water daily
I don't particularly like drinking water, but I know I need to drink more than I do (especially being pregnant + Australian summer). I've been drinking around 2L per day over the last couple of months, and now want to level up to build a habit of 2.5L per day. To support my habit, I have several drink bottles I fill up and work through over the day, and I bring my own filtered water from home as I prefer the taste.
 

When I was a young man, I had heard that you should drink 8-8 oz glasses of water a day.  The next day I took a empty 64 oz apple juice bottle, filled it with water and took it to work.  My boss asked what the bottle was for and I told him about drinking 8 glasses of water a day.  My job is in a factory, where I am both on the shop floor and in the back office.  Every time I returned to the office the boss would encourage me to drink more water and tease me that I wasn't making a dent in it. I'll admit i'm not a water drinker.  Finally I couldn't take it.  I was sloshing when I walked.  My boss was encouraging me to drink the water and was laughing so hard he was crying. Come to find out, a co-worker was adding just a little water every time I would have to go on to the shop floor.  Looking back it actually was kind of funny.  Needless to say, I may need to add increasing water consumption  to one of my future quests.  

 

On 1/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, deborahjade said:
My Main Quest
. Write book review for each book I complete
Last year, I read a lot of books (161 to be exact). This year, I want to slow down and read less books, with a focus on reading more deeply. To help me achieve this, I have challenged myself to write a Goodreads review for every book that I read this year. And once I finish a book (since I have multiple going at the same time), I must write and post the review before I can read any other books. I finished my first book yesterday and was stoked to get the review written and posted. I'm looking forward to looking back at my progress over the year and seeing my reviewing skills improve with practice.

Wow,   161 books.  That is awesome.  My quest I am cutting out TV with the hope of reading more.  Perhaps at some future quest I will try reviewing books or perhaps just journaling as I read them.   

Good luck on your quest and awesome health to you and the baby.   

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Yay bullet journal! There are some Nerd Fitness Bullet Journal groups on Facebook, if that's your jam . . . I just started mine a few months ago and it makes me so happy, even the weeks where I barely record a darn thing. Accountability is kinda awesome.

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

 

 

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

 

           ––G. K. Chesterton

Link to post
21 hours ago, Baldilocks said:

When I was a young man, I had heard that you should drink 8-8 oz glasses of water a day.  The next day I took a empty 64 oz apple juice bottle, filled it with water and took it to work.  My boss asked what the bottle was for and I told him about drinking 8 glasses of water a day.  My job is in a factory, where I am both on the shop floor and in the back office.  Every time I returned to the office the boss would encourage me to drink more water and tease me that I wasn't making a dent in it. I'll admit i'm not a water drinker.  Finally I couldn't take it.  I was sloshing when I walked.  My boss was encouraging me to drink the water and was laughing so hard he was crying. Come to find out, a co-worker was adding just a little water every time I would have to go on to the shop floor.  Looking back it actually was kind of funny.  Needless to say, I may need to add increasing water consumption  to one of my future quests.  

 

Wow,   161 books.  That is awesome.  My quest I am cutting out TV with the hope of reading more.  Perhaps at some future quest I will try reviewing books or perhaps just journaling as I read them.   

Good luck on your quest and awesome health to you and the baby.   

 

Haha, I can see your boss and co-workers having so much fun getting you to drink tons of water.

 

7 hours ago, Anathema said:

Yay bullet journal! There are some Nerd Fitness Bullet Journal groups on Facebook, if that's your jam . . . I just started mine a few months ago and it makes me so happy, even the weeks where I barely record a darn thing. Accountability is kinda awesome.

Ooh.. I'll have to check them out. I'm always amazed by how creative some Bullet Journalers are and all the beautiful handwriting!

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week One - Days 1-2

 

Drink water: I have barely managed to complete this both days.. I really need to start drinking when I first get up and work on the habit of having water regularly. I tend to ignore it until around 10am and then panic because I'm so far behind.  2/7

Strength exercise: tomorrow night is the night.. I will do it! Even if it is only the warmup, 5 squats and then the cool-down. It's more about re-building the habit this challenge than gaining actual fitness.  0/2

Food journal: I need to be more prompt with this but have managed 2 for 2. 2/7

Book review: On track so far with this one with one review written on the Sunday. I've been reading 'The Histories' by Herodotus on my phone and have read 15%. Then I decided to borrow an actual book from the library. It is a weighty tome!! Looks a bit daunting but I'm looking forward to checking out the maps in it :)  1/1

 

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week One - Days 3-4

 

Drink water: Staying on track with 2.5L of plain water per day (I don't count additional liquids like mineral water, tea or soup as they are bonus water). I have been taking 2L to work, but with the heatwave this week, I've increased it to 2.5L.  4/7

Strength exercise: I knocked the socks off this activity... and I also enjoyed watching an episode of Cleverman at the same time. I was pleasantly surprised that I hadn't lost as much fitness as I thought and did a decent job of completing the NF Bodyweight 1A workout.  1/2

Food journal: I've been a bit behind at times during the day, but managed to complete by bedtime. It is helping me realise that the less random little things I snack on, the less I have to remember and write down!! 4/7

Book review: Currently have 4 books in progress (3 non-fiction and 1 fiction). Given this challenge, I'll put a link to my Goodreads page in my signature for extra accountability.  1/1

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post
12 hours ago, deborahjade said:

Book review: Currently have 4 books in progress (3 non-fiction and 1 fiction). Given this challenge, I'll put a link to my Goodreads page in my signature for extra accountability.  1/1

 

Out of curiosity, what are the books you're reading?  You mentioned The Histories, but not the other 3.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Link to post
13 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

 

Out of curiosity, what are the books you're reading?  You mentioned The Histories, but not the other 3.

 

I'm am reading an entry each day this year from Morning by Morning by Charles Spurgeon, so I'm not actively counting that in my reading list.

The non-fiction three are Full by Asheritah Ciuciu, The Confessions of St. Augustine and The Histories by Herodotus.

The fiction one is Imager's Intrigue by L.E. Modesitt, which is the 3rd book in the Imager Portfolio. 

 

One of my big book reading goals for the year is to read more books I own (paperback, Kindle and Google Play). The barrier I'm hitting is that to read a non-fiction book well, I have to read it much slower than I would read a fiction book. So I'm not getting through books as fast as I anticipated.

I optimistically started the year by drafting a list of planned non-fiction books for the first four months. And as there is no way I'm going to get through them in that time, I'll probably aim to read them over six months. 

List of books

 

I didn't really bother listing fiction books as I have no trouble fitting them in. I really want to read the Night's Dawn series by Peter F Hamilton (around ~3000 pages in total), I think Brandon Sanderson might have a new Stormlight Archive book coming out (so I may re-read the first two which are around ~1000 pages each) and and if I want a lighter read, I may re-read Harry Potter this year. And I own the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, but have never made it past the start of the 2nd book so I am determined to finish that this year. And.. a friend lent me all of the Wheel of Time books and I'm up to book 9 and really should finish them sometime too. Just not enough hours in the day!!

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week One - Day 5

 

Drink water: 2.6L drank today as I've changed which water bottles I'm filling  5/7

Strength exercise: I did it again! First week success! Completed NF Bodyweight #1B while watching some Stargate Atlantis  2/2

Food journal: Another day done 5/7

Book review: Reading a bit slowly right now, tho' quite enjoying getting back into the Imager Portfolio. I hope to finish at least one of my books by next week.  1/1

  • Like 2

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post
On 1/16/2017 at 4:47 AM, Koaladle said:

How is your weekend going?

 

I've been struggling with staying focused and have had two days of failing at my goals (watching too much Stargate Atlantis and Shannara Chronicles on Netflix is not helping!).

On the other hand, I have learned that I need to start drinking water first thing in the morning otherwise I struggle after I fall behind.

And I also need to keep a water bottle with me at all times, so I don't ignore my thirst.

 

Time to pick myself up and meet my goals for the rest of the week!

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week One - Day 6-7

 

Drink water: Did great on Fri but fell over the wagon on Sat by forgetting my spare waterbottle when visiting a friend (in hindsight, I could have refilled mine at her tap, duh!!) and then watching several hours of Stargate Atlantis on Netflix in the arvo without a water bottle beside me.  6/7

Strength exercise:  2/2

Food journal: I was so tired from late nights on Friday that I crashed at 7:30pm and didn't get around to finishing my recording for the day 6/7

Book review: 1/1

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week Two - Day 1-3

 

Drink water: I barely got back on track on Sun and Mon, and completely got behind on Tue. Time to start re-prioritising the water and making sure I have a cup of water with breakfast. 2/7

Strength exercise: I mentally yo-yo-ed on this so much last night, that it was ridiculous. "No, I need a break" "But I want to watch Netflix.. I can do both" "Ok.. maybe I'll watch one episode of Netflix in bed and see how I feel". But I am going to do it tonight!! There are still enough days this week to meet this goal. 0/2

Food journal: Did well on Sun & Mon, but again prioritised Netflix on Tue over this.  2/7

Book review:  Wrote reviews of Imager's Intrigue by L.E. Modesitt Jr. and Things We Cannot See by Dianne Maguire  2/2

 

My updated challenge tracker for the first 10 days of the challenge

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post
17 hours ago, Koaladle said:

You can do it! These are goals you believed were possible when you started out, so now you just need to achieve them! 

 

Thanks! I'm starting to also see the value in setting achievable goals, as it is taking effort to stay on track with these. If I'd picked unachievable ones, it would be so much harder to get motivated!

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week Two - Day 4

 

Drink water: I smashed this goal by starting my drinking early in the day (sounds like a bad thing, unless it is water!) 3/7

Strength exercise: I did it! I watched about 15 mins of the Shannara Chronicles while eating dinner, then paused it and went and got changed and did my strength exercises. Completed NF Bodyweight #1A again. Looking fwd to improving my bodyweight squats over the next couple of weeks. 1/2

Food journal: On track again.  3/7

Book review:  No book reading done, but I did do my strength exercises + a couple of loads of washing so the evening was a big win!  2/2

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post
59 minutes ago, deborahjade said:

I watched about 15 mins of the Shannara Chronicles while eating dinner, then paused it and went and got changed and did my strength exercises

I... just.... How?! I've heard of this legendary pause button but.... You used it?!

 

You need to jump start your brain sometimes to get going, but tell me it doesn't feel AMAZING when you accomplish what you set out to do! Good work!

 

tumblr_ne9n48NBbg1tzms7wo1_400.gif

Link to post
22 hours ago, Koaladle said:

I... just.... How?! I've heard of this legendary pause button but.... You used it?!

 

You need to jump start your brain sometimes to get going, but tell me it doesn't feel AMAZING when you accomplish what you set out to do! Good work!

 

 

Lol! It was hard.. but I was motivated by my failure the day before, where I almost decided to exercise a couple of times, and after reading the latest NerdFitness article about just losing weight by diet. It reminded me that the little actions do count! 

And yes, I felt so accomplished for meeting my goal. I will not be beaten by them this challenge :)

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week Two - Day 5

 

Drink water: Another water win! 4/7

Strength exercise: Rest day last night. 1/2

Food journal: Did my tracking.  4/7

Book review:  Finished another book! Now I just have to write the review by the end of the week... as I may prioritise playing Divinity II tonight (as well as doing my strength exercise).  2/3

  • Like 2

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Week Two - Day 6-7

 

Drink water: Started each day with 300-600ml of water before leaving for work and I managed to get through my water each day. Funny, but I'm also thinking of increasing it to 3L in a future goal. And almost can't believe that I'm doing this given I was averaging around 1-1.5L a day previously. 6/7

Strength exercise: I half-heartedly managed to exercise. Started by spending 15 minutes surfing Netflix because I wasn't 'in the mood' for anything really. Ended up watching some more Stargate Atlantis which was really good. Did NF Bodyweight 1B with some modifications. 2/2

Food journal: Tracked all the food again!.  6/7

Book review:   Wrote review of Full by Asheritah Ciuciu. Review writing is a good challenge as it forces me to reflect on a book after reading and I feel it is helping me get more of of my reading.  3/3

 

First 2 weeks on my goal tracker!

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post
On 1/21/2017 at 11:20 PM, deborahjade said:

Wrote review of Full by Asheritah Ciuciu

 

Neat review.  When you mentioned the quote about higher instances in churchgoers versus non churchgoers and ask if the food you made encourages bad behavior was that a roundabout way of asking of church potlucks contributed to obesity?  Because I've had some things at potlucks that would, but I could see a lot of other factors contributing to obese churchgoers.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Link to post
6 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

 

Neat review.  When you mentioned the quote about higher instances in churchgoers versus non churchgoers and ask if the food you made encourages bad behavior was that a roundabout way of asking of church potlucks contributed to obesity?  Because I've had some things at potlucks that would, but I could see a lot of other factors contributing to obese churchgoers.

 

Thanks. I think it works on both a group and personal level.

On a personal level, it is good for me to consider the influence I am having on others, as small as it may be. I tend to make sweet treats, such as super buttery/sugary apple pie and brownies, with the purpose of eating some myself and justifying it/getting rid of the rest by feeding it people at work/church. It made me reflect on whether I'm thinking about myself and wants or whether I'm thinking about what is good and helpful for others. In this case, I think I can find a balance by cooking smaller portions and then as a result, eating less myself and having less to share with others, and so we are all less likely to overindulge. And I can add variety by learning new recipes, such as savoury options or adding more fresh fruit/veges. Basically the lead by example approach.

On the group level, there is definitely a cultural mindset (in church or not) of overindulgence in good things. And church potlucks just provide a great opportunity for doing this, especially if you fall for the temptation of "try one of everything, get seconds of the good stuff!" 

I do agree with you that obesity is far more complex and there is no one solution that works for everyone. 

  • Like 1

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines