Assassin's Age: Origins

Anim07734

Blarg.  This looks like fun, but at scrimmage on Monday I tweaked a muscle that's making my back hurt, so I'm going to have to join late.

I do have a question on the class thing, though.  Do we get assigned a class based on our AMRAP test (and if so, what happens if you have drastically different results on different exercises?), or do we pick a class based on what we want to work on (and then pick an exercise that puts us in that range to test)?

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

42 minutes ago, Snickie said:

I meant to add this before but

When I did my squats AMRAP on Monday, I did a set of 15 (intending that to be my AMRAP set) but got distracted and later did 18 more, with technical failure on the 19th.  I was tired ish when I did the 18.  How do I count that?

AMRAP is, by default, the highest number you can get.  You may want to test again when you're fresh to make sure you aren't cheating yourself.  I like to set absurdly high goals (EG "I normally do this in sets of 5-6, so I'm going to try for an AMRAP of 15") to make sure I don't mentally stop myself early. :playful:

33 minutes ago, Elennare said:

Blarg.  This looks like fun, but at scrimmage on Monday I tweaked a muscle that's making my back hurt, so I'm going to have to join late.

I do have a question on the class thing, though.  Do we get assigned a class based on our AMRAP test (and if so, what happens if you have drastically different results on different exercises?), or do we pick a class based on what we want to work on (and then pick an exercise that puts us in that range to test)?

Joining late won't be an issue.  (We try to allow it whenever possible, especially if a mini is going to run more than one challenge period.)  Just remember to do the Joining before you start any future tasks.

Your class is entirely your choice, based on your goals and preferences.  It'll be easier for you if most of your AMRAPs fall into (or near) the target range for your class, but it's not required.  Different classes will be given different/additional options or bonuses for some tasks, based on their preferences/descriptions.

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Oh glorious @Anim07734! I have managed to get a quarterstaff and two chairs setup working for the inverted rows... but darned if I can get my butt off the ground. It looks so easy in all the videos! *grumps* I can pull up my torso but the rest of me refuses to follow, so I am unsure if this counts for anything? I can't find 'even easier version of inverted row' when I google, so I'm not sure if there is a variation like knee pushups I can do of this? (Amusingly I found a whole bunch of things on how to make the inverted rows harder... so I'll save those for later. :lol:)

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

7 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

Oh glorious @Anim07734! I have managed to get a quarterstaff and two chairs setup working for the inverted rows... but darned if I can get my butt off the ground. It looks so easy in all the videos! *grumps* I can pull up my torso but the rest of me refuses to follow, so I am unsure if this counts for anything? I can't find 'even easier version of inverted row' when I google, so I'm not sure if there is a variation like knee pushups I can do of this? (Amusingly I found a whole bunch of things on how to make the inverted rows harder... so I'll save those for later. :lol:)

Try bending your legs underneath you (like this) and see if that helps.  You can still count them for level 1, if that works.  If not, we'll keep trying until we find a good starting point for you. :friendly_wink:

• Like 3

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

13 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Try bending your legs underneath you (like this) and see if that helps.  You can still count them for level 1, if that works.  If not, we'll keep trying until we find a good starting point for you. :friendly_wink:

Okay, gave that the old college try and I can get it to the point where I'm horizontal from my knees back... but I can't get my chest up to the bar. So I'm sort of hanging from the bar, my elbows are bent at a 90 degree angle and only my feet are touching the ground. But it's more than I had before! :D (This is what I get for having zero muscles going into this mini. :lol:)

• Like 2

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

2 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

It doesn't matter where your starting point is, as long as you start. :friendly_wink:

I need to make that my motto for 2017! :lol: (One little Assassin-y step at a time! :D)

• Like 5

18 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Okay, gave that the old college try and I can get it to the point where I'm horizontal from my knees back... but I can't get my chest up to the bar. So I'm sort of hanging from the bar, my elbows are bent at a 90 degree angle and only my feet are touching the ground. But it's more than I had before! :D (This is what I get for having zero muscles going into this mini. :lol:)

When I first started doing rows I was stupidly weak as well. I found if I had a higher bar I was able to do rows (if it's up higher you'll be more like standing on your feet and then leaning back , basically making the body more upright so you dont have as much distance to pull your body UP as with a lower.) I worked my way down using a lower bar as I got strong enough to do more reps on the higher one.

I'm not sure if they'll take that as an official modification for you for the mini but it could be a work in general for if you want to start building strength in this area!

• Like 2

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

2 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

When I first started doing rows I was stupidly weak as well. I found if I had a higher bar I was able to do rows (if it's up higher you'll be more like standing on your feet and then leaning back , basically making the body more upright so you don't have as much distance to pull your body UP as with a lower.) I worked my way down using a lower bar as I got strong enough to do more reps on the higher one.

I'm not sure if they'll take that as an official modification for you for the mini but it could be a work in general for if you want to start building strength in this area!

The video @Hazard posted had me hunting around the house for something taller to grab ahold of (that does look so much easier!)... but no luck. I'm going to hit up the park this weekend and see if there is something in the kids jungle gym area I can use! :) I figure worst case, I'll just log zeros for now and do my best with what I've got. Besides my attempts apparently amuse the heck out of the dogs and the cat, so it's all good! :lol:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

The video @Hazard posted had me hunting around the house for something taller to grab ahold of (that does look so much easier!)... but no luck. I'm going to hit up the park this weekend and see if there is something in the kids jungle gym area I can use! :) I figure worst case, I'll just log zeros for now and do my best with what I've got. Besides my attempts apparently amuse the heck out of the dogs and the cat, so it's all good! :lol:

Doorframe rows!!

• Like 9

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Just now, Asa Pond said:

Doorframe rows!!

O_O How did I not think of that?? I Google-found the ones where you try holding onto the top of the door (which would break my poor doors) and ones where you loop resistance bands (which I don't have) around the doorknobs, but not this one! Hah, I can do that! :D:D *dances around happily* I've been so obsessed with finding a horizontal thing to hold onto it didn't occur to me that I could use a vertical one.

Not that I'm not going to keep trying with the chairs & quarterstaff... just because it makes my inner hoarder happy that the staff finally has a use again after all these years. :lol:

• Like 8

On 1/13/2017 at 5:14 PM, tourennatrix said:

You can also loop a towel around the doorknob :)

door+towel+pulls+2.jpg

Aha! I was just trying to figure out how to get my doorframe rows a little lower to increase difficulty. This looks like the perfect solution. Thank you!

• Like 4

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

Choosing the First Destination

There are now enough Wardens to begin the difficult work of building an army to fight the Blight.  We have many allies obligated to our cause, but with the current state of the world, they will need to be convinced of the immediacy of our need.  Pack your things and discuss amongst yourselves, we'll leave as soon as we have a consensus on where to begin.

Dwarves - The Dwarven King and his eldest son and heir both fell in the strikes that began this Age.  His younger son inherited his title, but lacks support among the surviving noble houses.  Infighting, bordering on civil war, has plagued Orzammar for the past year.

Elves - Many Dalish clans lost their Keepers a year ago, and in fits of rage, blamed each other instead of searching for the real killers.  The Brecilian Forest has turned into a killing field as more and more blood feuds erupt between the clans.

Mages - With the Circle, the Templar, and the Chantry all decimated, no one is sure who currently commands the Mages of Ferelden.  Political intrigue plagues the Tower with no clear leader.

Men - Ferelden lost many of it's leading Teyrns, Arls, and Banns, but the King's son survived the strike against him and has managed to maintain some semblance of order across his ravaged Kingdom.  The castle at Redcliffe is closest to the coming Blight and should be reinforced to support the approaching battle.

Qunari - We have no formal alliance with the Qunari, but they are formidable warriors and respect the Grey Wardens' history and ability.  They have kept themselves secluded since the Age began, so there are no reports on if, or how, they were affected by the attacks.

All Grey Wardens in good standing (any participant who has completed The Joining) may vote for the next destination.  Once it is chosen, we'll receive an updated report and have seven (7) days to convince that ally to aid us against the blight.

You can submit votes for the first destination by selecting your choice and performing push reps in up to four (4) exercise variants.  Each time you accumulate a total number of points equal to your Joining push score.  (EG if you performed 10 standard pushups during the Joining, you received a score of 10.  Every time you accumulate a total of 10 points, in any push variant, you register 1 vote for your chosen destination.)  Partial votes will be counted.

You have until Wednesday 18January at 11:59PM Eastern to submit your votes!

• Like 8

... I have zero idea who to vote for. :confused:  Quick, someone throw me a hint! (Otherwise I am going with Dwarves, because... they are, well, Dwarves. *solemn nod*) ((My allegiance can be bought with gifs, because lo, I am easily swayed.)) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UnquietBones said:

... I have zero idea who to vote for. :confused:  Quick, someone throw me a hint! (Otherwise I am going with Dwarves, because... they are, well, Dwarves. *solemn nod*) ((My allegiance can be bought with gifs, because lo, I am easily swayed.)) 

Mages. Those guys can kill you with their brains, and are therefore the most pressing threat.

*handwave* Pay no attention to the fact that a mage is saying this....

• Like 3

Food Log

Elves.. I must save part of my ancestry! and the eyes on the forests will helps a lot either to gain information or to see the threats early!

• Like 1

Race: Half-Elf          Class: Warrior-Assassin

Level: 0                     Last Challenge:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
STR: x | CON: x | DEX: x | INT: x | WIS: x | CHA: x |

"[I am] the spark that will light the flame of the Rebellion"

6 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

The castle at Redcliffe is closest to the coming Blight and should be reinforced to support the approaching battle

This is the reason I chose Men over the others.  Wouldn't want them to be overrun before we got there.

• Like 2

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

5 minutes ago, Plitog said:

This is the reason I chose Men over the others.  Wouldn't want them to be overrun before we got there.

Baah... I guess you're right... I was letting my "sith" feelings get over me... I side you you... Let's reinforce the castle

• Like 1

Race: Half-Elf          Class: Warrior-Assassin

Level: 0                     Last Challenge:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
STR: x | CON: x | DEX: x | INT: x | WIS: x | CHA: x |

"[I am] the spark that will light the flame of the Rebellion"

7 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

You can submit votes for the first destination by selecting your choice and performing push reps in up to four (4) exercise variants. 

Can I do the same push exerise and count it more than once?  Such as 3 sets of uneven pushups which is the level I'm at?

• Like 1

Can we change the destination we're voting for as long as we do it before voting ends, or is it set in stone once we choose in the spreadsheet? I'm still leaning toward mages, but you guys are making a compelling case for men. I'm going to have to think about this.

• Like 1

Food Log

9 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Dwarves - ... His younger son inherited his title, but lacks support among the surviving noble houses. Infighting, bordering on civil war, ...

Elves - ... The Brecilian Forest has turned into a killing field as more and more blood feuds erupt between the clans.

Mages - ... Political intrigue plagues the Tower with no clear leader.

Men - ...the King's son survived the strike against him and has managed to maintain some semblance of order across his ravaged Kingdom. ...
Qunari - We have no formal alliance with the Qunari, ... there are no reports on if, or how, they were affected by the attacks.

Of the first four, our actual allies, I'd be inclined to go to the Men - they have a clear leader maintaining some semblance of order. That is someone who we can work with. Especially since our other options involve...

• the dubious value of convincing a new Dwarven king who lacks the support of his people.
  • the hot mess of Elven infighting that we'd be taking sides in by asking any of them for aid
  • rallying individual mages to any cause that doesn't directly further their agenda of seizing control in a power vacuum
  • approaching strangers who have no known investment in this at all.

My second choice would be convincing some mages that our cause was their ticket to step into that power vacuum.

That said, I know nothing whatsoever about Dragon Age, so I might be missing a lot here. I actually had to google a randomly selected name from this post ("Brecilian Forest") to find out it was Dragon Age.

• Like 6

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!