Assassin's Age: Origins

Anim07734

On 1/29/2017 at 6:57 PM, Manarelle said:

False binary: the options do not have to be complete oversight or complete freedom. Completely rejecting non-mages will bring misunderstanding, fear, and hatred, yet allowing them to set rules on powers outside their comprehension invites resentment and rebellion within the magi. Neither option is a sustainable one.

The middle path of compromise, however, will help foster positive ties with the non-mages while allowing the mages to rule themselves*. It fosters understanding and respect as the magi and non-mages work together toward education and acceptance. Consider the benefits of the path of moderation: vote Aequitarian. 

*(I believe I'm reading this correctly in that the mages would set rules for themselves, but seek alliances with non-mages. Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

You are using pretty language to attempt to make something unreasonable sound reasonable. It is not "compromise" to allow non-mages to participate in governing mages. Would you call it compromise to allow elves to participate in the governance of men? Or quinari to participate in the governance of dwarves? I'd wager not. Just because a position holds the midpoint between two other positions does not make it inherently reasonable. The midpoint between justice and total oppression is still injustice.

• Like 7

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

15 hours ago, Starstuff said:

You are using pretty language to attempt to make something unreasonable sound reasonable. It is not "compromise" to allow non-mages to participate in governing mages. Would you call it compromise to allow elves to participate in the governance of men? Or quinari to participate in the governance of dwarves? I'd wager not. Just because a position holds the midpoint between two other positions does not make it inherently reasonable. The midpoint between justice and total oppression is still injustice.

Only if the sides disagree on where the midpoint is, which would make the compromise one-sided.  A true compromise is mutually beneficial with a midpoint agreed on by both sides. 

If men were cutting too many trees down near elven land, then I'm the elves would attempt a compromise with men, right?  Working together is the best approach for all no matter who is involved.   

• Like 4

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

16 hours ago, Starstuff said:

All of us share this world, do we not? And if no voice is more worthy than another, which must be true if our alliance building is to succeed, why not allow all to join in governance? Echo chambers and groupthink are the root of bad decisions and outside voices should-- nay! Must be heard in order to keep the balance. The Aequitarians are not advocating giving away control (like the foolish Loyalists), but opening it up to those voices that Enchanter Wilhelmina and the Libertarians are so keen to dismiss.

Alliances are about balance and trust! (And sometimes cardio, but mostly balance!)

• Like 5

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

2 hours ago, Myrik said:

I love our Guild, turning something as simple as which faction to join into a full on debate.

I love our guild, that can get passionate about such a debate without descending into rudeness. :) 

• Like 11

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

19 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I love our guild, that can get passionate about such a debate without descending into rudeness. :) 

And on the INTERNET of all places!

• Like 9

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Don't you *censored* when there's *censored* up in *censored* like *censored* *censored*! 

Also, I like chocolate.

• Like 7

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

8 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Don't you *censored* when there's *censored* up in *censored* like *censored* *censored*! 

Also, I like chocolate.

We should play fill in the blanks ;) 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Myrik said:

We should play fill in the blanks ;) 

Madlibs, eh?

21 minutes ago, Hazard said:

So that would be verb, noun, noun... then maybe adjective noun or adverb verb? ...My sentence diagramming days were looooong ago. ;):lol:

...And vote Aequitarians! ;)

EDIT: And it now my personal headcanon that we are all polietly passing around a soapbox so people can have turns standing on it in between flyer runs. :lol:

• Like 4

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

17 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

Madlibs, eh?

So that would be verb, noun, noun... then maybe adjective noun or adverb verb? ...My sentence diagramming days were looooong ago. ;):lol:

...And vote Aequitarians! ;)

EDIT: And it now my personal head canon that we are all polietly passing around a soapbox so people can have turns standing on it in between flyer runs. :lol:

Headcanon seconded. :)

According to my co-worker, Hazard's statement becomes: Don't you despite it when there's hamsters up in the wine like purple wingnuts?

I suggest specifying that the first verb is a verb of emotion, because the initial answer was... suggestive... 

• Like 6

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

17 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I'm not smart enough to participate in this amazing political dialog, but I think this is correct :) :

Diagram.png.ee13a0f3be80c818a008d78c33641793.png

You people should run for actual office, by the way. Your arguments are so compelling, I don't know *which* side to rep for! :D 

• Like 7

otterbyte, level 3 chirpy otter assassin

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

current challenges: otterbyte juggles priorities  \\ old challenges:4-week: DEC16 * JAN17 * FEB 17 * APR 17 * JAN 18\\ Assassin MiniChallenge: Epic Throwdown Championship * Assassin's Age: Origins \\ Monkey Tamers United

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett

1 hour ago, otterbyte said:

I'm not smart enough to participate in this amazing political dialog, but I think this is correct :) :

Almost 30 years later, I can finally search out and tell my 7th grade language arts teacher that I saw a diagrammed sentence again.  Clearly that class had a well desgined curriculum that prepared me for the future so that here, now, I could recognize what otterbyte has made.  

Do I get experience points for this?

• Like 8

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

33 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Almost 30 years later, I can finally search out and tell my 7th grade language arts teacher that I saw a diagrammed sentence again.  Clearly that class had a well desgined curriculum that prepared me for the future so that here, now, I could recognize what otterbyte has made.  

Do I get experience points for this?

If you have to ask the Answer is yes, I would say a whole level worth at that because I have never seen(at least I don't remember) a diagram like that.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Myrik said:

If you have to ask the Answer is yes, I would say a whole level worth at that because I have never seen(at least I don't remember) a diagram like that.

Agreed!

I thought @otterbyte just made it up. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

Fitocracy  GoodReads

HFC for Life!

5 hours ago, otterbyte said:

You people should run for actual office, by the way. Your arguments are so compelling, I don't know *which* side to rep for! :D 

I understand this completely but

I have never diagrammed a sentence beyond the simple layer "this is the subject and this is the predicate". That was in elementary school. Like 2nd and 3rd grade.

In other news, I'm back, and I like my freedom. Libertarians. Insert compelling argument for voting Libertarians. Lol

• Like 4

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

After a week of work, the Grey Wardens wait quietly for the results of the newest vote.  There had been much work done on all sides, with each faction gaining support from among their number; Hazard (47.38 points) had led the Loyalist supporters, while Myrik (48.17 points) coordinated the Aequitarians and Toxophilite (65.95 points) worked with the Libertarians.  But all understood that this was a minor issue compared to the threat of the Blight.

Finally, the Council door opens and mages file out to announce the outcome.

94-2-1258780933.jpg

"We have come to a decision and named Archibald, of the Aequitarians, as the new First Enchanter.  With this issue resolved, we are now free to aid the Grey Wardens in the coming battle."

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Choosing the Third Destination

Even with the Mages and Qunari to support us, there's still much work to be done.  Gather you things and begin discussing who we should recruit next.

Dwarves - The Dwarven King and his eldest son and heir both fell in the strikes that began this Age.  His younger son inherited his title, but lacks support among the surviving noble houses.  Infighting, bordering on civil war, has plagued Orzammar for the past year.

Elves - Many Dalish clans lost their Keepers a year ago, and in fits of rage, blamed each other instead of searching for the real killers.  The Brecilian Forest has turned into a killing field as more and more blood feuds erupt between the clans.

Men - Ferelden lost many of it's leading Teyrns, Arls, and Banns, but the King's son survived the strike against him and has managed to maintain some semblance of order across his ravaged Kingdom.  The castle at Redcliffe is closest to the coming Blight and should be reinforced to support the approaching battle.

All Grey Wardens in good standing (any participant who has completed The Joining) may vote for the next destination.  Once it is chosen, we'll receive an updated report and have seven (7) days to convince that ally to aid us against the Blight.

You can submit votes for the next destination by selecting your choice and performing leg reps in up to four (4) exercise variants.  Each time you accumulate a total number of points equal to your Joining legs score (EG if you performed 10 assisted pistol squats during the Joining, you received a score of 10.  Every time you accumulate a total of 10 points, in any leg variant), you register 1 vote for your chosen destination.  Partial votes will be counted.

You have until Wednesday 8February at 11:59PM Eastern to submit your votes!

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

This round I am voting for the Dwarva of Orzammar.  If we are to survive the onslaught of the blight we will need strong fortification.  The Dwarves are the best builders in the land.  Plus they have a very strong hatred for the creatures of the blight  since they all but destroyed the dwarven kingdoms. 

Amgarrak!

• Like 2

Squatting is for talking to Nelwyns.  Vote for the Pecks!  Peck... Peck... PECK PECK PECK!

• Like 2

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

I finally finalized my Joining (went and did standard pushups so all my numbers were in the same range), so I can vote now!

I know nothing about the lore of Dragon Age, but I'm an elf, and elves are cool, so I vote elves! :P

• Like 4

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

cc512f45b00ac292454dda7e5a972d7f508416e0 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

Fitocracy  GoodReads

HFC for Life!