Minimalist garage gym questions

Hi guys,

So recently I decided to get in shape. I decided this a while back but for various reasons it didn't work out. I have decided that seeing as there is no convenient gym for me to go to I will instead make a gym in my garage. Space is a serious concern as it still needs to function as a garage occasionally so I really only have about 8ft square of floor space to work with.

So far my plan is to install a pull up bar from the rafters (just reinforced them for this purpose) and to buy some resistance bands and install some rails on the walls to use with them. I have some dumbells too but only a small set for now. I am hoping to do some strength training in there and interpserse that with running a 5 mile route in my area (will up it if it gets too easy but for now its killing me!).

Can I ask for some advice as to what else I could add to this setup? My goal is to lose a little bit of weight but overall to build muscle and improve fitness. I am applying to become a fire fighter later this year and currently work an office job and my fitness is seriously lacking.

Thanks

Ben

If you're open to bodyweight training, 8ft square is plenty of room to exercise and all you really need is a pull-up bar (though a sturdy box and/or gymnastic rings will help with some progressions).

Startbodyweight is my go to for bodyweight progressions.  There are also plenty of workout plans on the blog or scattered around the internet, depending on your skill level.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Bodyweight is great for limited space and budget. I did only bodyweight exercises for 9 months before I got started in a gym.

But if you aren't looking for specialty bars, or setups, I was recently looking at barbells, weight plates, squat stands and simple benches that I could use to setup a home gym. I found squat stands for as little as AUD $50 from gym suppliers, barbells from around AUD $120, about 100kg of plates for around AUD $250 and a simple bench for around AUD $60, the last three items all on ebay. So, depending on 1) the budget and 2) the style of fitness you're looking for, there are plenty of options.

Side note, the resistance bands are good too, the only reason I didn't stick to using them was because I don't think I was ready to commit to a fitness lifestyle at the time, not because they didn't give me a good workout.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Thanks for the help guys. Juni0r I can't fit a bench in there so a barbell is out for the moment but if I get into it I may figure something out an make it work somehow. I have 8x8 square feet of space but that's being generous and its not completely clear of stuff. Its good to know you liked the resistance bands, I was a bit concerned about them. I have seen a suspension kit at my local supermarket and think I will give that a go too.  (I think its called a suspension kit see image below) No idea how to use this but it looks decent and would work in my garage.MTM3ODA5MDQyNzUwODQyNTI2.jpg

Anim the blog you mentioned looks really good, I will certainly be using that, cheers!

Ben

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer gymanstic rings to any kind of suspension trainer, though I know others will disagree.  I just find rings to be more versatile, with the added benefit of being significantly cheaper ($15-20 on Amazon).

Also, people have fit full weight racks in spaces the size of yours, so it may just be a matter of shifting things around to make room in the proper orientation.  Others have made small storage areas, then accepted that they'll be setting up and tearing down each workout (IE, "I've got to pull the car into the driveway so I can OHP without hitting it").  So if you're interested in weight lifting, don't write it off just because your space is limited. :playful:  It might not be the best solution for you right now, but it's still an option.

• Like 2

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

23 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Personally, I prefer gymanstic rings to any kind of suspension trainer, though I know others will disagree.  I just find rings to be more versatile, with the added benefit of being significantly cheaper ($15-20 on Amazon).

This. I've read several articles by trainers who actually say they own suspension style training setups, and whilst they're good, and fun to use with clients, but when they're looking to expand, they'll just be buying rings.

• Like 2

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

On 1/10/2017 at 6:38 AM, Anim07734 said:

I prefer gymanstic rings to any kind of suspension trainer

i wont be disagreeing with this.
do a google search for TRX versus gymnastic rings, and gaze upon the endless videos of people with weird accents telling you about how they are, on some level, basically the same. except you can do more moves with gymnastic rings, and they are cheaper.

i have rings, a set of adjustable dumbbells which i dont adjust, and a bike.. good enough to cover all the bases
ooh, i also have carpet. i wouldnt love planking on a cement garage floor.

You might want to do a little reading on kettle bells - you can squeeze a lot of exercise out of one little kettle bell.

As a note, I could never commit to using one, for various reasons, but it's versatile enough (and small enough) to optimize your 8x8 space.

• Like 3

If you plan to apply to a fire department, find a steep hill or a long set of stairs near you and prepare to climb it many, many times.  With weights, once you get the hang of climbing it emptyhanded.

I investigated firefighting as a career a few years ago.  From what I hear the stair climb, which typically includes 75 lbs of added weight, is one of the toughest parts.

• Like 3

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

17 hours ago, Raincloak said:

If you plan to apply to a fire department, find a steep hill or a long set of stairs near you and prepare to climb it many, many times.  With weights, once you get the hang of climbing it emptyhanded.

I investigated firefighting as a career a few years ago.  From what I hear the stair climb, which typically includes 75 lbs of added weight, is one of the toughest parts.

Maybe something like this, then?

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

10 hours ago, TheOtherScott said:

Maybe something like this, then?

You can make the same thing with an old duffel bag, some rope, and whatever fill you want to get from the hardware store (I used rubber mulch).