So, the idea after last challenge was to celebrate New Years and come on strong here in the new year. I had every reason to believe I would. The training was fun, molding itself around what I wanted it to be, and I was pushing hard and everything was great.

And then last Monday I got a scratchiness in my throat. It spread from there and it's only now really on its way out. I've followed Sickness Protocols, which means no training if it makes your symptoms worse. Well, shock and awe, training did. Even yoga did, although that might have been a case of the wrong yoga for the situation. Wrong medicine, etc.

Anyway, the past week's been kind of slow and boring as these things go. I'm honestly feeling kind of stir-crazy, raring to go back to work, which is better than the alternative I guess. Not exactly the start I wanted to the year, but it's not about how you start.

The big goal for this year is... ulp, financial. I'm finally in a position to start attacking this thing that's been around my neck for years. With that freedom... man, I dunno what I'd do. What a wonderful problem to have to solve. :D

Of course, can't attack the whole thing in one challenge. This is gonna take a while, and TBH I don't know if I'm going to get the whole thing done or not. But any steps taken are better than no steps taken.

Here are the goals for this month:

GOAL 1: DON'T GET HURT

Not training for a week has been good for one thing - that golfer's elbow is pretty much resolved. I want it to stay resolved. Especially given that my training has shifted over to this practice-based thing. I've been thinking a lot about training and pain and strain and injury and how all of that ties together, and basically there are some places in the body that need to feel something, and there are some places in the body that need to not feel something. I really need to be mindful and get the difference, understand where a sensation is coming from and what it might mean.

On those lines...

GOAL 2: SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Yeah, this has to happen more. I think part of the reason I got sick is that I just got wore down. My sleep schedule is a mess, if I'm honest: I get 6-7 hours when I need 7-9, and I freak out if I try to get more - my body wakes up crazy early if I try to do more, like I'm afraid that I'm going to miss out or something.

Goal is to have the screen off by 2245 every night. I don't need the distraction of this thing to keep me awake, and I could be way more efficient than I've been.

GOAL 3: WRITE

One page a day. I need to do more than what I've been doing. No real blurbs or anything, but yeah.

GOAL 4: LINE UP FINANCES

So I've got the money going out to all the places. Now the goal is to consolidate as many of them as I can, so that they come out on the same day. I want as few surprises looming in the wings for me as I can manage. I have a feeling life will throw enough of those at me without my leaving myself open for them. By the end of the challenge, the goal is to have as many of my bills coming out at the same time of the month as possible, that time being the 1st of the month.

And... that's the game this time. Okay. Let's see what happens.

• Like 7

Ugh getting ill sucks!  I hope you get well soon and hey from the looks of it, you have a solid challenge to get all the adulting underway!  I'll be tackling sleep and finances eventually myself!  Good luck and yes, get better!

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

YOU! YOU ALL! I owe you all responses (especially you, @mightstone2k!) but it's late and I've written. I would like to share with you what I have.

Spoiler

I knew before the day was out that I was going to put a hole in the wall.

It was true. I really had no choice in the matter. Between Glenda gossiping over her neighbor's latest foibles and Teneisha lecturing her son in harsh, quiet whispers over the phone, I just knew that this had one ending and one ending only.

I saw the light on the phone in my cubicle start to flicker. Someone was dialing in. I turned up the music on my player louder. The dulcet tones of new age piano would not be enough to drown out this place. I tapped my cell a couple times and the angriest jazzcore I had blasted me into smooth oblivion.

Yeah, jazzcore. It's some group that you've never heard of. It'll be a thing someday. I swear.

In between the wailing sax and the drum going a million beats a minute, I found my way to my fingers moving over the keyboard. I had a dual screen set up with a display that looked like it came out of the ass end of the eighties. It was the kind of screen that you expected to tell you that you'd died of dysentery. What it was doing running on the best machine you could buy in a back alley was beyond me.

It turns if you think of your novel as Fight Club With Magic, it kind of helps to start it like Fight Club. :D

• Like 3

OH NOES The sick got Kishi also!!! Seems to be going around. Hopefully by now you're already feeling a bit better, and if not, hope you do soon!!! Here for the things!!! <3 

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, Teirin said:

Not the best start to the year.  You'll bounce back :-)  Sick won't keep you down long, and as you noted, gave you time to heal in other ways.

Sleep, writing, maintenance, and paying down debt = adulting like a boss.  You've got this.

Hopefully so! It's just a bit of a shock to lose that much time to being sick. I don't expect it.

But yeah, getting life back on track is as good a way forward as any, I figure.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Alcnedlor said:

Is it me or the challenge don't really match with the cloud of tags ? :-)

It's you. :P

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Alcnedlor said:

Planning a time for recovery and for handling your finance at the beginning of the year : I think this is an excellent start. It will give you a solid base for the rest of the year where you'll be able to build your tower.

Yup! That's the idea, anyway. Take this month to get things set up while juggling all the other balls in the air, and hopefully just start knocking things down one at a time.

19 hours ago, Urgan said:

Get well soon! In the meantime, all the adulting!

Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better!

18 hours ago, BlackTezca said:

Ugh getting ill sucks!  I hope you get well soon and hey from the looks of it, you have a solid challenge to get all the adulting underway!  I'll be tackling sleep and finances eventually myself!  Good luck and yes, get better!

Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better today. We got frozen into our houses for a few days down here and between that and a couple shots of Nyquil, I think I'm good. Now I just gotta get the money to play nice.

14 hours ago, Treva said:

Feel better soon!  Sorry about the golfer's elbow--those are a bear to identify and then get resolved.  I love the sleep goal.  Sleep is actually the best.

Well, it's not the first time I've had to deal with tendinitis, but generally it's on the outside rather than the in. But basically I was doing a lot of things that were aggravating it that, when I stopped, basically helped it to resolve. Fortunately, karate and judo weren't aggravating it. Unfortunately, picking up the rucksack was, so I've had to give up rucking which does not give me a happy. :( I've got another way forward with that, so no biggie, but it's annoying.

11 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Found you!

Found you! I've been reading your battle log and slowly catching up. I have not been good to you, sir, as you had some questions at one point that I did not answer, and you were left to the tender mercies of the @Machete. To be fair, he's better at this than I am, but yeah dude, you ever have any questions about S&S, you let me know. I'm no good for RoP, but I'll do what I can for you.

7 hours ago, Alcnedlor said:

Thank you for sharing, it is a well written start

Thanks! It was a fun start to write as well.

7 minutes ago, RedStone said:

OH NOES The sick got Kishi also!!! Seems to be going around. Hopefully by now you're already feeling a bit better, and if not, hope you do soon!!! Here for the things!!! <3 

Yup! Feeling better already.

GOAL 1: 2/2

GOAL 2: 1/2

GOAL 3: 2/2

GOAL 4: --

Welp, so far so good. Monday wasn't much except layin' about and resting. Couldn't do much more than that with the roads being the way they were. Which was fine! I needed it.

Tuesday rolled around and I was feeling good. So I went to the gym and did easy S&S, with an eye toward practice and keeping my heart rate down. It was a good session. I noticed that the way I pick up the bell on TGUs can aggravate that tendon, though, which means I need to focus on pulling with the opposite arm. It'll work. Afterward, I cooled down, stretched, did some knee FTPUs and practiced hollow body for the handstands.

I've written both nights so far, which is good. I've also been obeying my 'screens out by 2245,' although it hasn't quite translated into sleep just yet. And, last night, I waited to get my writing done, and I chose that before sleep because the words were coming out awesome. So, I count it a fail since I didn't make 7 hours last night.

Also, I need to find a way to quantify getting my bills in order. Maybe one piece of paperwork a day until they're all managed? One per week? Dunno. But that definitely needs to be broken up a bit; otherwise, it just looks too big.

Otherwise, we continue apace.

• Like 3

Nice snippet there!  Really like that first line; definitely get the set mood of the character and your descriptions are excellent!  Really like the human injected here and the world foibles makes me giggle.  Foibles.  That one word not only makes me giggle but also hints at the age and personality of Glenda, of who we only have second hand information from the main character here (lemony narrator).  Nicely done!

Nice status!  Not a bad start, looks like a good, not overwhelming workout on Tuesday (and you feeling good for it so yay) and awesome job writing!  I need to do a 'screens out by <insert time> kinda challenge myself!

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

12 hours ago, Kishi said:

Found you! I've been reading your battle log and slowly catching up. I have not been good to you, sir, as you had some questions at one point that I did not answer, and you were left to the tender mercies of the @Machete. To be fair, he's better at this than I am, but yeah dude, you ever have any questions about S&S, you let me know. I'm no good for RoP, but I'll do what I can for you.

Heh.  Noted.  I'm doing things in reverse order, according to SF dogma:  RoP first, then getting back to S&S to hit Simple.  Rebel rebel.  I'll definitely be pinging you about anything swing/TGU-related in the interim.  Teach you to make an offer :P

• Like 2

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, BlackTezca said:

Nice snippet there!  Really like that first line; definitely get the set mood of the character and your descriptions are excellent!  Really like the human injected here and the world foibles makes me giggle.  Foibles.  That one word not only makes me giggle but also hints at the age and personality of Glenda, of who we only have second hand information from the main character here (lemony narrator).  Nicely done!

Nice status!  Not a bad start, looks like a good, not overwhelming workout on Tuesday (and you feeling good for it so yay) and awesome job writing!  I need to do a 'screens out by <insert time> kinda challenge myself!

Yay! People like my writing still! Not that I'm insecure, oh, no, totally secure about how insecure I am. :D

But yeah, thank you! Felt like a good start after the week of torpor. Feels like I'm back!

"But... but, Kishi, you never left--" "Shhh, shhh."

13 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Heh.  Noted.  I'm doing things in reverse order, according to SF dogma:  RoP first, then getting back to S&S to hit Simple.  Rebel rebel.  I'll definitely be pinging you about anything swing/TGU-related in the interim.  Teach you to make an offer :P

But that's heresy~!

But not really. I don't S&S anywhere near as often as the dogma says I should and I still get good results. It's a patch/practice kind of program to give you GPP regardless of what you're doing. I like it because it keeps me honest, so no matter what kind of gimmicky nonsense I'm up to, the weight will keep me honest.

GOAL 1: 3/3

GOAL 2: 1/3

GOAL 3: 2/3

GOAL 4: --

Welp. Some good and some bad in this.

Yesterday I went out to gym it up before going to train. I ate some jerky and some fruit beforehand and went to work.

Warmed Up

Hang Cleans: 3x5x66

Glute Bridges: 3x10

Strength Round 1, 15 minutes:

Tuck L-Sitsx16s

Deadliftsx181

Strength Round 2, 15 minutes:

Tuck Lever Pulls

Air Lungesx7

Cooldown

Notes:

• This was a minimal session. I wanted to get into the gym quick and get out quick, while still retaining energy to go hard with sensei. In terms of the amount of time it took, it's good, but I got to the gym late, so I left it late, so I was late. Bah. Proof of concept.
  • I've decided to work some progressions based on the Prilepin tables that I mentioned a challenge ago. I'll link 'em if anyone's interested, but basically there's a certain amount of exertion that's expected of you on this program. 80% or so, but not beyond that. I think that might have been part of the reason I wore down, because I pushed hard without paying attention to little things like whether my neck was tense or whether I was scrunching my face. Turns out that if you want to practice, you gotta be able to practice good.
  • I did my air lunges with 3 lb DBs and a half pound fractional in each hand. In order to make it all fit I had to put up my index and pinky fingers on the outsides of the fractionals. Yes, I was throwing up the horns. Yes, my workouts are powered by rock.
  • TUCK LEVER PULLS ARE HARD WHEN YOU DO THEM RIGHT. I tried to make my back do the work like it was supposed to and it could for a little while, but it just couldn't even as the time went by.

After that, ate a Quest Bar and some figs, then went to Karate. We practiced movement patterns, all about the 8 directions and what that looks like when someone is trying to punch you in the face. We sparred afterward, with nice heavy gloves, and we tried to go light, but it ended with me popping sensei with a roundhouse to the head. I think I did something to his eardrum - I don't think I hit him that hard... but then, with leg, you don't really have to to do bad things.

He was happy I did it and praised me for it, but doggonnit I just don't like hurting people. I enjoy fighting them plenty, sure, but just... no.

Oh, also, he's decided that my sasae is actually a hiza guruma because I don't lift uke up on his feet high enough when I go for whatever it is I do. But what I do is still effective, despite it being lateral rather than vertical. So, the wheel throw it is.

I went to Chipotle, picked up some dinner, got home, was ragingly hungry, ate two bites, and was full. I dunno what the hell that was about, and it kind of worries me, but as late as it got, I didn't feel like forcing anything. So I went to bed. Yay, IF?

Oh, and brother and me talked again, which was the reason I didn't get down 'til late. He's taken up circus training, which he enjoys very much, but he wants to Lift Heavy Things one day a week. I'm gonna see if I can guest-pass him in to my place. Maybe we can pick up some pointers from each other.

Anyway, no pain today, and no real hunger to speak of. Everything's... okay.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Teirin said:

Hiza guruma is just under the knee.  Is your foot placement that high?

Not really? The foot placement's the same as in sasae, but I achieve a very minimal amount of lifting. Somehow it winds up being a beautiful throw - I've gotten people airborne off this thing - but I think sensei doesn't understand how that's happening if I'm not getting lift. To be clear, he's not terribly strict on calling throws; he believes you set out to get one thing and oftentimes wind up with something else on the way to ippon. One possibility is that I'm throwing hiza, but thanks to the strength training I don't need to set my foot so high on the leg. Maybe. I dunno. I'm just feeling good that I got a throw in with 16 oz Thai boxing gloves on my hands. :D

GOAL 1: 4/4

GOAL 2: 2/4

GOAL 3: 3/4

GOAL 4: 1

Well, yesterday was fun. Work was good - I've figured out how to get along with this doctor, and as a result I'm getting a lot more closures than I was before. That just feels good. It makes the days a lot more bearable, feeling like I'm doing something that actually makes my case load better as opposed to just writing and writing and writing.

Went and played with the Bells afterward. I got out late due to arriving late, so when I got there, all I had was the 53. I could have done an easy practice, but I'd already done those and I was feeling kind of fighty. So I did 100 one arm swings in a row, switching off every ten. I wasn't sure how it'd go, but given that I couldn't get my HR above 130 and I have no back pain today... I'd say my body remembers this pretty well. Did TGUs afterward with an eye on using the opposite arm in the fetal position to pull the bell into rack as opposed to using the supporting arm. That also worked. No real complaints from my arm to speak of.

Got back home and managed to eat well, like nothing was out of the ordinary. Dunno what Wednesday was about, but it seems to be done, whatever it was. I wrote, and managed to get my screen off in time, but stayed up anyway. Dammit. May have to rethink this one a bit.

I talked to my gym about letting my bro be a guest, and basically, they're assholes about that kind of thing. I can bring him on once, but after that he's not allowed in the gym again for a couple months. I guess they really don't want more bodies in there using the equipment than necessary. Fortunately, the old gym I used to go to, the 24/7 place, never cancelled my membership, and they have racks and weights to suit my brother's interests. So, instead of calling them on this, I'm going to let my bro have my keycard to the place. As long as he goes on Sundays, which is when he means to, he won't have to deal with staff asking questions. And if they do, I'll sort it out then.

But I figure I'll take credit for one bill sorted. :D

Measured myself this morning - couldn't get a weight, but gut's back down around 35". I'm back on cut after my last weigh-in put me at 186 - basically pre-Rebellion weight. The data I was getting from taking my temperature was basically a crap shoot - no trends beyond the normal stability you expect of a metabolically normal person. And my folks were starting their diet, so I thought I'd join them in solidarity. They're doing really well, incidentally - 1 week in, they lost 16 lbs between the two of them, which I think is kind of insane. I've seen it, though - they eat like bodybuilders, 3 squares and 3 snacks a day, and they're eating a lot better than they used to while also cutting out wine and coffee for tea. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that my Dad actually really likes this diet - he's never hungry, and he still gets to eat steak. And they play around in the kitchen now in ways that I haven't seen them do in a long time. They both seem to have a bit more pep in their step, so to speak.

Still, 16 freaking pounds in a week. That's not natural. But then again, they might have the weight to lose. Dad's apparently 40 lbs overweight, and Mom... well, she doesn't talk about it. The diet's basically a kind of weekly macro-cycling kind of thing. I'd be lying if I said I weren't interested. I don't know that I'd say it works for gym rats, but then, I haven't read the book and haven't figured out what modifications would be necessary. Also, don't like the frailty built into that kind of system. Say what you will about IF but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty anti-fragile, and it makes you tougher to go without I think.

So. That's the state of things from here.

• Like 3

As usual, I am late in following. That's a lot for me to catch up with all at once. I do what I can. And it looks like you certainly. Nice comeback from the illness. Seems getting sick has been horribly in style over this last holiday period.

I'm impressed that your karate training involves use of heavy-gloves and throws.

• Like 1

Daryl of Barbaria - Ranger / Footpad

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Yay for your parents, and yay for work coming together.  Honestly, I think that'll help work seem a lot more worthwhile.  It's tough when you're spinning your wheels.

Any chance you can get the old membership transferred to your brother?

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

13 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

As usual, I am late in following. That's a lot for me to catch up with all at once. I do what I can. And it looks like you certainly. Nice comeback from the illness. Seems getting sick has been horribly in style over this last holiday period.

Aw, you know, I just wanted to be like the cool kids.

13 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

I'm impressed that your karate training involves use of heavy-gloves and throws.

Thanks! Just pedagogical preferences, that's all. We're big on pressure-testing and executing in non-compliant circumstances, but you gotta walk the line between effective (for our purposes) training and hurting people, and that's always tricky. He kind of likes us learning to do throws with the gloves though - it introduces a sort of no-gi element and forces us to refine our gross movement patterns as opposed to getting your hands on someone and just strengthing it through.

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yay for your parents, and yay for work coming together.  Honestly, I think that'll help work seem a lot more worthwhile.  It's tough when you're spinning your wheels.

Yeah, for sure. It just feels better to get closures and to get things addressed as opposed to sitting there and feeling like none of it matters.

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Any chance you can get the old membership transferred to your brother?

I probably could, but it's only $30/month and I make a lot more money than he does. I don't really miss it. But if they catch him and need him to transfer over, well, I can do that. Just... you know, wanna do something nice for him while I can.

12 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

How tall are you?

5'11".

GOAL 1: 5/5

GOAL 2: 2/5

GOAL 3: 4/5

Welp, messed up the writing goal last night because I was beating XCOM 2. #Priorities.

Went out and trained hard after work yesterday.

Warmed Up

Power Round:

Hang Cleans: 3x5x67

Strength Round 1, 15 minutes:

Handstand Holds: x20s

1-Leg Deadlifts: x5x90

Strength Round 2, 15 minutes:

Front Tuck Holds: x16s

Squats: x5x151

Assistance Round:

Twisting Plate Curls: 2x10x10

Inverted Rows: 2x16

FINISH HIM: Hurricane Category I: completed in 17:41.

Notes:

• I'm kind of wondering if I'm muscling the hang cleans or if that's just a matter of the weight being too light. I don't feel like I'm using all that much power yet. Which is okay, as far as slow progression and developing technical proficiency goes, but I wonder if I'm attacking as powerfully as I could be.
  • They moved the power racks so they're away from the wall. So I had to set a barbell in high rack and throw my handstand up against that in order to hold. Which felt weird. But it totally worked. Incidentally, this could also be a way for me to get back into overhead pressing, were I so inclined.
  • Front Tuck Holds went great. Believe it or not, by the end of it, I think I was holding something close to horizontal. And let me tell you, this lights up the lats like nothing I've ever done. I never really knew what it was like to have a tired upper back until I did this. Think one of these days, once that Golfer's Elbow is resolved for reals, I'll try pull ups again and see what happens.
  • This is something in general that I want to start integrating into my training - I find at least for myself that there's not a great deal of carryover between straight arm and bent arm strength. It's not breaking with the program to do that sort of thing, because the program is a template and he encourages "peppering" the training with bent arm movements from time to time to keep yourself honest. So I'll need to be thinking about that as I go.
  • Finisher because I had the time. It felt good to practice running. And this is a 40 second drop in time from the last time I did this, which was before I got sick. So, that was good.

So, good times.

I was curious to see my weight, so I weighed myself today. It wasn't the cleanest measurement, as I waited until the folks left before using their scale, and they foisted a cup of tea on me, and it wasn't consistent with the times I normally do this kind of thing... but apparently I'm down 5 lbs after two weeks and I'm retaining most of the lean mass I built when my weight went up.

I'm doing it in a surprisingly simple way, actually: calories set at 10xbodyweight at the outset, and making sure to get at least 100-125g CHO and at least .7g/lb LBM protein. Beyond that, I just make sure I've got as even a split between the three macros as I can manage... and I feel great. Totally not deprived, even with me eating a thousand calories less than I was before.

Pretty cool. :) Anyway, today's work is before me. Let's get it done.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I probably could, but it's only $30/month and I make a lot more money than he does. I don't really miss it. But if they catch him and need him to transfer over, well, I can do that. Just... you know, wanna do something nice for him while I can.

Yeah, no reason you couldn't keep paying it, just see if you can get the name on it transferred to him.  This might be one of those things where if they catch you, they'll assume you tried to cheat them and make it very hard to do, but would probably let you do now.  (I mean, possibly not if they're jerks, in which case... oops.)

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I know how you feel about not wanting to hurt others, but "Steel forges steel" You won't get stronger if you don't have your mettle tested, after all...

"It's better to be a Warrior in a Garden, than a Gardener in a War."

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

20 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, no reason you couldn't keep paying it, just see if you can get the name on it transferred to him.  This might be one of those things where if they catch you, they'll assume you tried to cheat them and make it very hard to do, but would probably let you do now.  (I mean, possibly not if they're jerks, in which case... oops.)

Ooooh, I get it. Yeah, that might be easier. Should probably look into that.

20 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

5'11" and in the realm of 185 lbs? We really are the same freakin' person. I've got an inch on you according to my driver's license, and that's it.

Dude, I did notice that when you gave your measurements. You're a lot leaner than I am, though, and you can pass the Army PFTs, which I wasn't able to when I tested myself for GoRuck. So you're like the me I wish I was, in some ways. :D

8 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I know how you feel about not wanting to hurt others, but "Steel forges steel" You won't get stronger if you don't have your mettle tested, after all...

"It's better to be a Warrior in a Garden, than a Gardener in a War."

Oh, I agree! And you know, maybe he's had this coming. When we broke out headgear again, he said that we were going to focus on trying to go a bit lighter... and then spent the rest of the night just lighting me the fuck on up. Which I don't mind - I'd gotten complacent with some of my fight habits, and harder sparring reveals that kind of thing - but at the same time, a certain amount of turnabout is fair play.

And it wasn't really like I hit him with the intent of hitting hard. I just... with the gloves, I felt like I was focusing a lot on hands and I wasn't throwing feet enough. So I had told myself to focus on throwing feet in and also keeping my hands up. And he said part of the reason why I got him so well is because he stepped into it. I had him on the wall, and instead of stepping away from the kicking leg, he stepped toward just as I was swinging roundhouse high. Which is what you'd want to happen, so it's not like I have the option of not trying to make this happen...

GOAL 1: 7/7

GOAL 2: 4/7

GOAL 3: 6/7

And that was the first week. Not bad as these things go.

Yesterday, I went and swung the 70 and got up with it. I did these both in less than 16 minutes with time to spare, easily... but I must have done something wrong because I woke up this morning with that telltale soreness in my back. Still, I wasn't interested in not training, so I lightened a bunch of things up and turned it into a practice day.

Warmed Up

Power Round:

Hang Cleans w/ Front Squats: 3x5x68

Strength Round 1, 15 minutes

Tuck Sit Pull-Throughs: x5x3s

Deadlifts: x5x100

Lying Twists: x5

Strength Round 2, 15 minutes

Front Lever Pulls->Skin the Cat

Air Lunges: x5/sidex8

Thoracic Bridges

Assistance Round

Twisting Pitcher Curls: 2x15,11x12

Inverted Rows: 2x17,16

Bag Work: 3 minutes

I would have done more bag work at the end, but I had church tonight and didn't want to be late.

Um, but, yeah, I skinned the cat! I couldn't put myself back through my arms afterward, but I did get half of it. Farther to go, have I, and yet, how far I've come.

Also it turns out I've been doing the Hang Cleans the right way to develop power, but I added the front squat due to a misunderstanding in how the technique is done. I don't mind. It means I get to do both front and back squatting, although now that I know that I'll probably sub in something different for power work on days when I back squat.

I also tried out pull ups with an emphasis on laying back and activating the lats. I did 3 and felt like I had plenty in the tank. Felt more in my back than in my arms. Awesome.

I picked up Undertale at @BlackTezca's recommendation. I've barely played it an hour and, already, I think I'm in love. I've decided to go ahead and do a Total Pacifist run, just because whenever I can see that talking it out is an option, I'm just drawn to it. It was like that back when I played Persona, and I guess that hasn't really changed.

I've been writing some too. It's not been a daily thing, but I feel like I've gotten more done than I would have with the 'show up every day and write just one line' approach. I dunno, I guess somehow that if I have the ability to get full credit for doing less work, that's the kind of person I am. It'd be easier to do this if I was doing it earlier in the day, but I'm at an in-between place right now where I'm getting toward sleeping earlier, but not arrived yet. Still, three to four pages versus half a paragraph! Yaaaaaaaaaay.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, mightstone2k said:

5'11" and in the realm of 185 lbs? We really are the same freakin' person. I've got an inch on you according to my driver's license, and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ME TOO ME TOO!

oh except I'm not a dude. meh.

:P

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.