Newbie Intro! >>KaitSith's Lady Gaston Level Up<<

Hiya fellow rebels!

After KICKING MAJOR BUTT in a Tug of War competition I learned that one of my biggest hurdles to better health fitness was that I hate cardio.  I failed every attempt at a regular exercise regime in less than two weeks because I was focusing on cardio, not strength training.   I want to beat my results from last year (SemiFinals or better! YESSS LETS DO THIS)  and eventually cosplay as a badazz Lady Gaston at a Con.. or Evil Lyn from the Masters of the Universe (because I'm a not-so-secret-aging-Goth-Nerd)

I hate putting myself out there like this because I am generally a very independent person, good at starting things but not finishing them, who was born with a very tragic patience-deficiency. (I'd like everything done yesterday, thanks.)

Baby steps are kind of my Kryptonite but I joined the first challenge this year to help build systems to keep my Quests in focus and help them be successful.

My Quests are: Get Stronger, Prioritize Family Time, and Level Up the Bizz.

My Challenges are: I've got a lot on my plate and I need all of the accountability to bring my goals from a spreadsheet into real life.  I'm a mom with a more-than-full-time-job at an IT company, a long commute, plus a side hustle creating art. I spend all of my free time in the evening (after KidSith has gone to bed) working on my business so I can do that full time, painting or writing.  My creative time keeps me sane but now I am also building it into a business, which leaves little time for anything else in my already full day.  I find excuses to save time/be more productive (eating out, skipping sleep, working through lunch, drinking all the coffee/energy drinks) and my health and quality family time have been sacrificed.

My 2nd biggest realization (1st= loving strength training) from the last year is that I'm just no good at being a lone wolf. 

This is where you come in! (Hiya!) I joined NerdFitness to get the community and support that I've been missing that will help me overcome my challenges.  HELP ME REBELS YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE! Just kidding, that's too much pressure, but feel free to join in and leave me a reply to keep me motivated.

• Like 1

Hi KaitSith,

Welcome! It's good that you mapped out the obstacles in your daily routine. Just make sure to take small steps and gradually expand. That way you can stay motivated with your goals. Not much of a Pearl of Wisdom, but it seems to work for me.

• Like 1

Take a deep breath, center, LEAP!

19 hours ago, Kard said:

Hi KaitSith,

Welcome! It's good that you mapped out the obstacles in your daily routine. Just make sure to take small steps and gradually expand. That way you can stay motivated with your goals. Not much of a Pearl of Wisdom, but it seems to work for me.

Thanks for commenting and your motivation suggestions!

My small steps yesterday were:

1. Meal prep and bulk cooking for 4 meals to save time and not have an excuse to eat out.  The most awesome side effect is that KidSith helped with the cooking and is super inspired to start a kid's cooking show on YouTube.

2. Researched strength training and beginner body weight work outs vs using the machines at the gym. Started with the beginner work out and added to my fitness tracking spreadsheet.  Holy Mother of Squats, I can't take stairs today. 

• Like 1

Love the intro!

Looks like you have a LOT on your plate already so please be kind to yourself when making any fitness goals. I'd hate to see you burn out because you took on too much, though I LOVE your goal to prioritise family time. :love_heart: 

Have you decided how you're going to break your goals down into smaller, measurable goals? I'm assuming you have if you've already started a challenge but no.3 on this page is still worth a look.

One of the mistakes most people make when they start a challenge is to have goals which are a bit ambiguous, unrealistic, or difficult to score. You want to make it nice and concise:

1. Make more time for family

I will do this by planning a family game/movie night (1 point) each week and one daytime activity (1 point) at the weekend. 2 Bonus Points for each week I achieve both.

Points available over the challenge = 16

Obviously I've used random family-type stuff there but you get my drift. Make it precise and measurable.

Good luck with the challenge and if there's anything I can help you with then just ask. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously