• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spngebobmyhero

tried my first dead lift today!

I did my first dead lift today! It was 50 pounds. I wanted to start on the lighter end to make sure I was doing it properly. I watched a video of proper technique before doing it to ensure my form was correct. With slow movements and watching myself in the mirror, I am confident that my form was good. I will go heavier next time.

Questions:

Do you usually do sets of dead lifts? If so, what is a normal number of reps and sets for you?

Can I do these properly with free weights? My gym has limited barbell options (planet fitness). Its what I can afford at the moment.

YES! GREAT JOB!!! DLs are awesoooooooooooooooome :)

Yes, usually sets. Lots of people on here do 5x5 or 3x5 (5 sets or 3 sets of 5 lifts each). I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, and that has a progression from 2 sets of 15, 2 sets of 12, 3 sets of 10 and 3 sets of 8. Higher weight + lower reps will build more strength, while the opposite will build endurance.

For alternatives, you could try dumbbell swings, I think someone else was saying.

W00t for you!

I did my first dead lift today! It was 50 pounds. I wanted to start on the lighter end to make sure I was doing it properly. I watched a video of proper technique before doing it to ensure my form was correct. With slow movements and watching myself in the mirror, I am confident that my form was good. I will go heavier next time.

Questions:

Do you usually do sets of dead lifts? If so, what is a normal number of reps and sets for you?

Can I do these properly with free weights? My gym has limited barbell options (planet fitness). Its what I can afford at the moment.

Firstly, congratz on the your first DL. I remember mine. It was a special moment. :D (I love dead lifts).

Now to your questions. Most beginner training programs have a 1 set 5 rep (1x5) scheme for your working weight in dead lifts. Prior to hitting your working weight though you can do some lighter weight versions in order to warm up (Second rule of the gym, never go and load up a bar to your max weight without some kind of warm up). For example I have 3 sets of 12,8, and 5 reps with increasing weight and then 1 set of 5 at my work weight.

As you start you will find that you may be able to do more sets becasue the weight is light. As you progress and stuff gets heavier it'll be harder to maintain a high set/rep scheme with DLs because, let's be honest, it is a beastly move.

Yes these can and should be done with freeweights/barbell. Stay away from the smith machine. .

Let us know if you have any other questions. We can point you in the right direction.

For alternatives, you could try dumbbell swings, I think someone else was saying.

DB swings will work a part of the movement but are still a poor replacement for deads. DB or kettlebell swings help with the hip hinge movement that is crucial for deads as well as giving the posterior chain a nice workout (hammies, quads a bit, lower back, etc.).

Kettlebell swings are great for the posterior chain, they are my high rep endurance workout for legs when I'm doing that sort of thing.

Always use free weights, machines are the devil.

I personally started with 3x5 deadlifts when I was at lighter weight and slowly replaced working sets with lighter warmup sets as I got heavier. now I typically do 225lb 1x8, 315lb 1x5, 350ish 1x5. Don;t know my exact working nu8mber off the top of my head.

I just started deadlifting last week, started with 50 lbs too, because those were the weights that got the bar high enough off the floor.

I do 3 sets of 5, starting with 50 and adding weight each set. My last set I've been adding after each rep if necessary to get to a higher weight. I maxed at 98lb last week.

Congrats on your first DL, welcome to the club!

How many reps and sets you want to do really depends on what your goal is. For endurance, you want to do low weight at high reps, and for strength you want to lift heavy and do low reps. That's why a lot of us do 3x5 or 5x5... we're trying to up our weight numbers. xD

Congrats on the DL

as for reps...I do 4 sets of 8 reps. I'm at 140lbs right now. I've increased 5lbs after my first week. Plan on uping the poundage after 2 more DL sets.

What's funny is since I've been at my gym(which is the university gym I work at) I've only seen 1 other person do DLs. I do get some WTF looks everytime I do them. So get ready for some odd looks when you DL!!!

YES! GREAT JOB!!! DLs are awesoooooooooooooooome :)

Yes, usually sets. Lots of people on here do 5x5 or 3x5 (5 sets or 3 sets of 5 lifts each). I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, and that has a progression from 2 sets of 15, 2 sets of 12, 3 sets of 10 and 3 sets of 8. Higher weight + lower reps will build more strength, while the opposite will build endurance.

W00t for you!

Mir, you've mentioned NROLFW so many times that I'm gonna buy it now :D

Congrats Hero on first DL!

Go Big or Go Home! Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk.

Congrats on the DL

as for reps...I do 4 sets of 8 reps. I'm at 140lbs right now. I've increased 5lbs after my first week. Plan on uping the poundage after 2 more DL sets.

What's funny is since I've been at my gym(which is the university gym I work at) I've only seen 1 other person do DLs. I do get some WTF looks everytime I do them. So get ready for some odd looks when you DL!!!

Ditto here. I've seen people do modified deadlifts (off the pins on the squat rack), but only 3 other people in the last 2 years have I seen do true dead lifts. One of them was doing over 600 lbs as his working sets. Its definitely not an exercise that you see a lot in a 'normal' gym.

I do 3 sets of 8, with one warm-up set of 8 reps at lighter weight.

Yes, you can do a type of deadlift with dumbbells, if I interpreted your question correctly. Look up Romanian Deadlift Dumbbells and you should find some videos showing how it is done. You won't be able to lift really heavy like a lot of people here like to, depending on how heavy the dumbbells you have are. But it works well when you are starting out.

(edited to fix cut off sentence)

Oh, by the way, I remember reading recently that Planet Fitness actually has a rule against doing Deadlifts. So make sure you are not dropping the weights, grunting, or otherwise drawing attention to yourself or you might set off the lunk alarm.

Yes, you can do a type of deadlift with dumbbells, if I interpreted your question correctly. Look up Romanian Deadlift Dumbbells and you should find some videos showing how it is done.

Romanians work the back, not the legs. They have you keeping legs almost straight the whole time. You can do deads with dumb bells, just don't do Romanians if you are looking to work the same muscles as regular deadlifts. I do Romanians as an auxiliary exercise to get more back strength as it's my weak spot on deads.

Mir, you've mentioned NROLFW so many times that I'm gonna buy it now :D

Not to be a thread hijacker, but I really enjoyed stage 1 - and he says a lot of things that make sense :) Weirdquark suggested NROL for abs also. :)

Spongebob, any more DLs for you over the weekend? :)

Thanks for the clarification Corey. I was not aware that Romanians were so different from regular deadlifts. The way that I learned Romanians, you feel it in the hamstrings and glutes a lot.

Firstly, congratz on the your first DL. I remember mine. It was a special moment. :D (I love dead lifts).

Now to your questions. Most beginner training programs have a 1 set 5 rep (1x5) scheme for your working weight in dead lifts. Prior to hitting your working weight though you can do some lighter weight versions in order to warm up (Second rule of the gym, never go and load up a bar to your max weight without some kind of warm up). For example I have 3 sets of 12,8, and 5 reps with increasing weight and then 1 set of 5 at my work weight.

As you start you will find that you may be able to do more sets because the weight is light. As you progress and stuff gets heavier it'll be harder to maintain a high set/rep scheme with DLs because, let's be honest, it is a beastly move.

Yes these can and should be done with freeweights/barbell. Stay away from the smith machine. .

Let us know if you have any other questions. We can point you in the right direction.

^ all this. emphasis mine (b/c :love-struck: deadlifts).

And completely off topic: I grew up in NH! Are you originally from there or are you a transplant?

Bah, deleted what I just wrote!!

Anyway, did some more deadlifts this weekend: 60lbs 3x5. I felt great doing them and great afterwards. My hamstrings hurt, but that could be the 2 mile walk I took in the woods with my vibrams :)

I know about Planet Fitness' Lunk alarm, so no grunting or dropping weights for me! I may consider going to a different gym eventually, but right now this is working and its cheap.

Laura, I am born and (mostly) raised in NH. Left for a few years for university in OK, but I think I am back for good :D

I know about Planet Fitness' Lunk alarm, so no grunting or dropping weights for me! I may consider going to a different gym eventually, but right now this is working and its cheap.

Please find a gym with a squat rack, not a smith machine. I left planet fitness for Lifestyle. it was about 8 dollars a month more, but they had better weights, a squat rack, no lunk alarm, scales in the bathroom, and best of all nobody looked at me like a lunatic when I used the actual weights.

#hatesplanetfitness

Bah, deleted what I just wrote!!

Anyway, did some more deadlifts this weekend: 60lbs 3x5. I felt great doing them and great afterwards. My hamstrings hurt, but that could be the 2 mile walk I took in the woods with my vibrams :)

Laura, I am born and (mostly) raised in NH. Left for a few years for university in OK, but I think I am back for good :D

Woot! (for both deadlifts and NH). I lived there for ~20 years... but I am so over that crazy snow.

okay.. obligatory snow comment out of the way...

I agree with what anivair mentions... I also have a deep dislike for planet fitness.