Even in Basic Training (USAF) I never needed to run more than 2 miles.  Now after having sat out any meaningful exercise for several months and shirking cardio for at least 18 months, my current 6-week fitness challenge requires a pre- and post-program 5K for time to measure improvement.  Since the weather was spectacular this evening I got straight out after work and pounded the pavement.  It's nothing to brag about, but I'm proud that I did it and didn't die (so far).

First ever 5K time: 36:54

My legs are going to be so mad at me tomorrow.

• Like 13

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Not dying on your first 5K is definitely something to brag about.  Well done! 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

#3 completed.  I'm actually almost maybe starting to kind-of not hate it. :lol:

Third ever 5K time: 31:40

No anger from the lower extremities this time, but my hands got a little cold and they're achy now.  Best part of today's run is that I finally did the whole thing without any walking at all.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I finally did the whole thing without any walking at all.

That is truly impressive. Well done!

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, Terah said:

That is truly impressive. Well done!

Why thank you, Ms. Terah. :)

22 minutes ago, Mike_d85 said:

That means run faster.  :P

The legs may be (grudgingly) willing but the lungs are weak. :D  I'm going to keep pushing myself to see if I can get below 30 min by the end of the challenge.  Only five more runs to get it done, and with a bit of luck I'll be under 220 lbs for the final attempt.  I am definitely not built for distance running...

tumblr_mfmm0a4GEn1qzqcaho1_500.gif

...but I'm very dangerous over short distances. ;)

5 minutes ago, Violetta said:

Congrats!!!

Thanks!

• Like 4

On 1/20/2017 at 7:14 AM, DrFeelgood said:

I am definitely not built for distance...

...yet. Keep it up, sign up for a local 5k (because the crowds can be fun and you get a t-shirt) and keep at it. Started like you a couple years back and finished my first full marathon last month.

Couple suggestions... read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall and DO NOT worry about pace as you increase distance (in fact, slow down... if you can't talk while running, you're working to hard). 

And if you're anything like me, you'll probably want to give up after your first half marathon... then sign up for another a week or two later. Also, nipple chafing is for real, tho...So, if it starts to happen to you, NipEAZE is definitely worth considering... especially if you want to avoid finishing a race with somewhat embarrassing blood stains on your shirt (yep, Urban Cow half marathon 2015... forgot the NipEAZE) :acne:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SlowHorse said:

And if you're anything like me, you'll probably want to give up after your first half marathon... then sign up for another a week or two later. Also, nipple chafing is for real, tho...So, if it starts to happen to you, NipEAZE is definitely worth considering... especially if you want to avoid finishing a race with somewhat embarrassing blood stains on your shirt (yep, Urban Cow half marathon 2015... forgot the NipEAZE) :acne:

Dude.  Don't bring up the nipple bleeding around the newbs.  You'll freak them out.

Also, what's black, white and red all over?  The end of an urban cow.

• Like 2

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

12 hours ago, SlowHorse said:

...yet. Keep it up, sign up for a local 5k (because the crowds can be fun and you get a t-shirt) and keep at it. Started like you a couple years back and finished my first full marathon last month.

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement.  I'll look at signing up for the next race I can find in the area.  Congrats on your marathon!  I fully expect to never ever run one. :D

4 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

Dude.  Don't bring up the nipple bleeding around the newbs.  You'll freak them out.

I've seen The Office, I was prepared.

183755457.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CEPL%7C55%7

• Like 2

Awesome job, man. That's definitely something to be proud of. Well done.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, Wolfen said:

Awesome job, man. That's definitely something to be proud of. Well done.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, DyDy said:

Nice job! I remember when I did my first 5K, I was worried that it didn't cross the finish line. Just doing it, like you, is actually the best way to go.

Well done!

7 minutes ago, Lydiechan said:

That's an awesome time for a first 5K.  I think my first 5K was just over 45 minutes.  Well done you!

Thanks, y'all!  You're helping to sustain my motivation.

I forgot to update with last week's run.  After a few days of gorging on ice-cream and slothing it up real good I finally broke out of my rut on Thursday and hit the pavement.  My cardio felt great, but my lower legs kept cramping on the uphill portions.  I had to walk a good bit of it but still came in at 38:50.  Honestly that was a triumph because I was ready to call it quits after 10 minutes.  Next one is tomorrow afternoon, and I hope to be able to push it a little harder.

• Like 2

Just now, DrFeelgood said:

Next one is tomorrow afternoon, and I hope to be able to push it a little harder.

Make sure you're getting your sprints in when you're training.  Alternating distance days with sprint days will give you a huge jump in time and resilience.  Keep going!

• Like 1

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

On 1/30/2017 at 11:18 AM, Lydiechan said:

Make sure you're getting your sprints in when you're training.  Alternating distance days with sprint days will give you a huge jump in time and resilience.  Keep going!

Ugh, I'm not actually trying to become a runner. :lol:  In truth, the "alternate" days are my power lifting workouts, but I'll lift my weights really fast if that helps. ;)

Fifth run, 32:08.  I'll take that, especially since I had to stop just after the half mark and tie both of my shoes. :D

After several months off I returned to the squat rack at the gym yesterday, so my legs were a little non-compliant on the run.  Even so, everything felt pretty good, and I expect to chalk up a new PR on Thursday.

I've gotta believe this will only keep getting easier as I get leaner.

I really recommend that you read runnersworld.com.  A lot of people misunderstand the purpose of sprints.  It's not to make you a pro runner. :)  But read up on running - on form and on how to increase your time.  The only verified way I've found to improve time is to add sprints to a routine.  Runnersworld.com is a great resource if you're working on improving your time on a specific distance.

• Like 1

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

On 2/1/2017 at 6:40 AM, Lydiechan said:

I really recommend that you read runnersworld.com.  A lot of people misunderstand the purpose of sprints.  It's not to make you a pro runner. :)  But read up on running - on form and on how to increase your time.  The only verified way I've found to improve time is to add sprints to a routine.  Runnersworld.com is a great resource if you're working on improving your time on a specific distance.

Thanks!  And sorry if it sounded like I was poopoo-ing your suggestions, I really appreciate it. :)  Right now I'm just running for cardio, and I'm only keeping time as part of a six-week fellowship thing I'm doing with some of the other guys in my church--four down, two to go.

Today was my sixth and final run of the current NF challenge, and I hit the pavement just a little while ago to knock it out before dinner.  My road course dips in the middle, so it really is uphill (and downhill, too) both ways. The out portion was feeling really good, and I was running consistently ahead at my milestones.  At the half point I was under 15 minutes and really excited that I might actually break 30 before the challenge ends.  The return half was a different story: sun in my eyes, pretty decent headwind, steeper climb for the last 1/2 mile, and the town really smells bad today. :lol:  I checked time at my usual markers and kept speaking out loud to myself to keep going.  Once I was back on my street I cranked up all of my reserves for the last 100 meters and hit the finish line (edge of my driveway) at 29:54!  That's a huge achievement for me, and it couldn't have been more timely.

I'm going to keep running as part of my weekly exercise regimen.  I still don't enjoy the actual running, but I don't hate it like I used to; and I actually do enjoy being able to get a good cardio workout done relatively quickly while spending some time alone with my thoughts in the great outdoors in between my lifting days.

• Like 3

Billy-D_Approves.gif

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge