New Max on Overhead Press

So last week I started adding the Overhead Press to my lifts. I was surprised at how challenging it was compared to the Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. Even with 20 less pounds from those other lifts, I was only able to get to 3 reps on all but one of my 5 sets, in which I got 4. This week I attacked the lift with renewed vigor, being sure to warm up a bit longer, and cranked out all 5 reps on all 5 sets. Which means next week I get to add more weight. Level up!

• Like 2

Yas! The disparity on different muscle sets is always super surprising to me! My bench is a lot of nothing, I couldn't lift the bar when I started a few months ago XD

I am training someone who had similar beginnings. She started with barely being able to lift the olympic bar, now she is smashing through 5x5s and adding weight nearly every week. I'll probably start posting brags on her progress, if she doesn't start doing it herself.

My currents are:

1. 5x5 Bench Press at 125 pounds. +10 next week.

2. 5x5 Squat at 125 pounds. +10 next week.

3. 5x5 Dead Lift at 125 pounds. +10 next week.

4. 5x5 Overhead Press at 95 pounds (the successful sets that spawned this thread). +10 next week.

• Like 1