Seeking Accountability Buddy

Hey, guys.

I was active two years ago and I made a lot of progress. But I stopped for a year and a half, and I fell hard. I have a lot of ground to cover.

I'm looking for an accountability partner to check in with on most days. To hold each other to our daily fitness goals, our daily dieting goals, to provide encouragement to each other, and just to not be alone through all of this. Maybe a paragraph or two on most days, and a longer message once or twice a week to be more human to each other.

The ideal partner has challenging workout ambitions and a difficult diet. We may have the most common ground if my partner is also tracking macros and/or is also a warrior. But to be honest, finding someone that is friendly and genuine and communicative is the most important of all.

Please reply below or message me if this appeals to you. We can conquer this together.

Orc Warrior | LVL 4

Current Challenge: Milo Sustains

Hi Milo, 

I am seeking an accountability partner to help keep me on track and to check in with as well. I'm not sure I meet what you are looking for exactly, but I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out and at least tell you that you're not alone.   I can tell from your post that you are positive about this and you have the right mindset.  That's going to be a big plus for you in this journey and a huge positive for whoever you team up with. 

I am fairly new to this.  I've been wanting to dive further into strength training and weights and after I got a small taste for it in the gym.  I was proud and impressed at the weight I could move on the leg press and hack squat.  And it felt great too. I truly love it and after a long day nothing makes me happier than working out. When I had to give up my gym membership, I saved the $ and in turn bought myself the beginnings of a home gym this past November.  Since then I have been consistently with 2-3 strength training sessions per week and this month I added 2-3 yoga sessions per week to keep from getting too tight.  Now as I level up I get new equipment, which keeps me moving forward. 

Sadly, I'm not sure what macros are or how to track them. I know they are part of nutrition. I also know that I need to get my nutrition on track or I'll keep working hard and going nowhere.  I am working to transition to level 5 right now. Bread/Pasta is no trouble to lose, and I haven't touched any sweets since Tuesday, so I think I'll be leveling up my diet by the end of the month. In addition to changing what I eat, I started tracking calories this week so I don't overeat. 

I'm between Warrior and Assasin due to using body weight to fill in where equipment is lacking.  This is also a feature of needing to use body weight to strengthen and build weaker areas for me too. 

I may be a newbie, but in addition to keeping myself on track working out the last 2 1/2 months, I have been reading and learning like crazy the past 4-5 months.  I am scrappy and determined.  I started at serious working out in November 2016.  By November 2017 I want to be well on my way through a transformation that doesn't just mean losing weight but means gaining strength and skills and PRs.  I want to do unassisted pull-ups, deadlift my body weight, and see if I can't bench and squat half of my body weight.  Those actual numbers might seem small (I currently weight 210), but compared to where I am now I find that a worthy goal. 

You clearly have more experience than I do.  The idea of an accountability partner who knows more than me is appealing.  However, I know that doing the work and learning new stuff is on me.  Getting where I want to go will be hard work.  My concern is that my learning curve could be a drag for you, although I hate to even mention it.  If you're interested in giving it a try anyway, let me know.  If not, I hope you find a better suited partner for your journey.  Best wishes! 

• Like 1

I've very interested! Thanks for writing.

I appreciate the detail in your post, and I admire your goals and your dedication. I think we could get along famously.

I felt very knowledgeable 18 months ago. And I felt hopelessly lost two weeks ago. But as I've been brushing up on my research, a lot of things have been coming back to me. I would be very happy to share what I know and to help educate you in any areas I have more knowledge than you. But there are many schools of thought, and I want to make space for the areas in which your approach may be different than mine. Education is a marvelous thing, but as you said, you've been reading and researching for months now. I'm sure there are areas you could educate me.

But overall, I think communication and accountability is the most important thing, even more important than education and exactly aligned goals.

On a separate page, I'm in a group with three other people. But the most recent any of them reported in was five days ago... Maybe they gave up, maybe they forgot the online portion, or maybe they're just busy.

Are you more interested in joining that group or communicating with me privately one-on-one?

Orc Warrior | LVL 4

Current Challenge: Milo Sustains

Thank you for answering so quickly.  I definitely agree that communication and accountability are key. I actually stumbled across your other group and they look like a friendly and lively bunch. I'm a writer at heart myself and my college degree is in writing, despite working in healthcare the last 4 years.  However, life crept up on me and that went the same way my working out did.  

I would like to add creativity to my pursuits eventually (trying not to do too much at once) and the forum would be helpful for that because most of your group was writing something.

I'm an introvert and I like smaller groups of people. I want to make sure I don't get lost/lazy in the forum.  That being said, if the forum is easier for you, (i.e. not having to repeat stuff if we all end up talking about the same things) let's try the forum and if it doesn't keep momentum maybe switch? 

Let it me know what you think and I'll jump in.