CJ the (soon-to-be) Mighty's Battle Log

Jan. 12

Weight: 327.2

Squats: 155 - 3 x 5

Bench Press: 105 - 3 x 5. 75, 1 x 8

Deadlift: 175 - 1 x 5

Thoughts: After jumping around changing programs every couple weeks I have fully committed myself to running Starting Strength for as long as possible before I can no longer progress day to day.  The only alteration to the program that I am making is adding a backoff set of 8 after each days pressing.  The first day felt good and I am excited to see how far I can push this.

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

Jan. 15

Weight: 329.0

Squats: 160 - 3x5

Overhead Press: 85 - 3x5, 60 - 1x8

Power Clean: 75 - 5x3

Thoughts: I haven't done power cleans since I was in high school (a looong time ago).  Due to not having bumper plates or a platform in my basement gym I did them as hang cleans.  They felt really good and relatively easy - so I will continue progressing the weight on them.  The other lifts also felt really good.

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

Jan. 17

Weight: 327.6

Squat: 165 - 3x5

Bench Press: 110 - 3x5, 80 - 1x8

Deadlift: 185 - 1x5

Thoughts: Everything felt good - weights felt easy, time to go heavier.

Jan. 24

Squat: 170 - 3x5

Overhead Press: 90 - 3x5, 65 - 1x8

Power Clean: 80 - 3x5

Thoughts: Apparently taking a week off lifting makes everything heavier - who knew?

Jan. 27

Squat: 175 - 3x5

Bench Press: 115 - 3x5, 85 - 1x8

Deadlift: 195 - 1x5

Thoughts: I used to have a really problem with grip on deadlifts.  In my last couple of sessions, I have really slowed down my pace between reps - breathing, relaxing my grip, and readjusting my grip.  It has gone much better for me. 

Feb 7

Weight: 329

Squat: 180 - 3x5

Overhead Press: 95 - 3x5, 70 - 1x8

Power Clean: 85 - 5x3

Thoughts: The overhead presses really drained me.  I got them done, but they were a grind.

Feb. 9

Weight: 325.8

Squat: 185 - 3x5

Bench Press: 120 - 3x5, 90 - 1x8

Deadlift: 205 - 1x5

Thoughts: Everything went well and felt good.

• Like 1

Feb. 12

Squat: 190 - 3x5

Overhead Press: 100 - 3x5

Power Clean: 90 - 5x3

Thoughts: I forgot my backoff set of overhead presses and didn't realize it until I was halfway through my cleans.  Gah!

Feb. 22

Bench Press: 125 - 2x5, 1x11 --> 130

Barbell Curl: 65 - 2x10 --> 67.5

Squat: 195 - 2x5, 1x6 --> 200

Thoughts: After dreading the thought of having to deadlift after squats again, I decided to switch up my programming a bit and move to a Greyskull type training with AMRAPs on the final sets and doing squats and deadlifts on seperate days.