• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Allo

Lazy, sodaholic and fast food junkie, help!

18 posts in this topic

So my new years resolution was to start being more active, eat better and get off the soda for good but I don't know where to start. I have the worst time committing to a workout routine and I can't resist  the temptation of fast food and soda. What's the best way to kick my bad habits and lose the pounds.

My brain is too tired to try and write stuff, but here's a couple of NF articles to get you going in the right direction. 

The power of habit and How not to suck at building habits

The second article explains about why trying to change everything all at once is a recipe for failure. If you want change to stick then you need to introduce it slowly. 

2 people like this

My dad and his family quit soda almost entirely. (My dad had a heart attack and they said the cause was diet soda.  The diet soda was worse than his smoking.) and his fiance just stopped buying it. which i mean it doesn't sound easy but like,  it's been tallied that the average american spends over $800 a year on pop.  But as with anything suddenly stopping can just make you want it more so the best way is to wean down over a course of weeks. 

Say you drink 3 pops a day, try and scale it back to 2 next week, then one, then one every other day,  etc etc.   Before you know it you won't be drinking any!  But if you hate water there are plenty of alternatives. Tea, fruit water, smoothies, juice, (Just be careful about the sugar contents). 

The taste of soda gets me the worst.  I can drink coffee or tea for caffeine, but I am linked eternally to the flavor of mountain dew.  I still can't avoid it for more than a week at a time usually.  The longest I've gone in years is about a month or so.  It's amazing because I can drink it despite heartburn, toothaches, stomach aches, restlessness, and headaches that the sugar and carbonation might cause me.  The things that have helped me the most is having something that tastes close to it (I drink Arbonne fizz sticks, which you buy from a rep much like Herbalife/Avon/AdvoCare) and to simply remind myself constantly "drink more water." Carry a notebook in your pocket and write down your intakes for the day, and specifically how you feel after drinking soda.  I remember once drinking soda to keep myself awake and all it did was keep my mind racing while my body felt like it was held down with chains.  I went to lay down for a quick nap and tossed and turned for hours, just on the verge of sleep, but with no energy to just force myself to power through it.

Another thing that has helped me has been reading up on the health problems linked to soda.  My teeth used to be amazing and now I have enamel breakdown and probably two or three cavities.  I'm not looking forward to paying for all of that.  And cavities can cause all sorts of problems when they're not fixed promptly, as well.  Besides that though is the amount of empty calories that you're taking in.  A can of Mountain Dew has over 100 calories in it, and it takes running roughly a whole mile to burn it off.  That's not counting diabetes, heart issues, kidney issues, etc.

But even with that I'll still probably just mindlessly walk up to the cooler and buy another 20oz bottle with my lunch unless I keep my water bottle on me from the moment I enter my workplace.  Fight the urge, fellow rebel.

1 person likes this

Normally I'd say cut soda first, then fast food.  But you probably habitually consume them both at the same time, so just walking into McDonald's is going to give you a craving for soda.  so,

, I suggest you start making your own lunch a couple times a week, and work your way up to doing it every day.  You have permission to drink soda, but you have to buy it in cans.  No refillable fountain cups.  When the can is empty, you're done, go get some water if you're still thirsty.  From that point, you can start cutting down the number of cans per day.

1 person likes this

Cut the soda cold turkey. It is not hard, you can do it. I promise. 

Your mileage may vary, but one change at a time is ideal. If you have both together, start by separating it. No soda WITH fast food.
After a month or two, start cutting down the sodas - either old turkey if that works for you, cutting out a certain flavour or limiting yourself to X per day/week. 

If you google SMART goals, you can set an aim that is realistically achieveable and in planning it, you might notice potential hurdles to problem solve before you actually reach the block in real life.

Good luck!

I used to drink at least a soda a day, and if we went out to eat several more when taking into account refills. For the last few years it is rare for me to drink a soda and when I do it doesn't usually taste very good to me anymore (too sweet). What helped me get off of soda was switching to sparkling water and flavored sparkling waters (Ritz, Syfo). I found the carbonation and light flavoring were a good substitute for the feeling of drinking soda. 

On 1/31/2017 at 2:59 PM, mmead0105 said:

Cut the soda cold turkey. It is not hard, you can do it. I promise. 

I wouldn't say it's not hard, it can vary from person to person. Back in my soda-drinking days I tried to do the cold turkey method but it didn't help that I had others who use to drink soda at my house which just caused me to fall back to drinking it. If you're the only soda drinker in the house the best method is to just quit buying it. Not having it as an option in the first place is the easiest way to avoid it.

Same can be said for fast food. Instead of thinking "I can't cook tonight, I guess I'll have fast food", just prep a meal beforehand or make some extra on days you can cook. At my house we tend to cook a lot on the days we can cook so when we get to the days we can't, we can just microwave any leftovers. This does involve having to find the pattern on what days you'll usually be too busy to cook.

Or you can also just make a quick, 10-15 minute healthy alternative. There are a lot of recipes out there that take very little time and effort to make and are still good for you. Many of them take no more time to make than it does to make a trip to a fast food joint.

We are all different.  I'm an addict type of personality.  So for me it is cold turkey or never quit.  It is hard.  But you'll find if you eat healthy for awhile - a month or so, the cravings for junk decrease.  I do have a soda occasionally - maybe once or twice a month, but it is Zeivia (soda sweetened with stevia).  For me the sugar is worst and I just have to stay away from it.  I've developed recipes using stevia for desserts.  Salt and grease are second.  So I use good salt (Real Salt) and good oils.  

On 2/10/2017 at 5:48 PM, CheshireCrab said:

I wouldn't say it's not hard, it can vary from person to person.

This. It was definitely hard for me, but it was the only way I could drop soda. I can't do scaling back... I end up drinking 2 cans instead of 1 bottle, etc. etc. etc., and I have all the excuses in the world to let me do that. This last time was much easier, but I am currently on doctor-prescribed appetite suppressants, so I don't really want much of anything. So I don't know that that counts.

As for fast food, one of the things that helped me was to cut out specific kinds. If I am going to eat out, usually I say, no McDonalds, no Burger King, no whatever. That cuts out most of the greasy stuff. Instead if I eat out, I'll go to a panini place or a soup place or something, and get something small. But most of the time I just make my food at home and bring it with me. I'm slowly getting into the whole meal prep thing, which can go a long way for lazy and/or busy people. Instead of cooking every day and washing dishes every day, etc., you spend, I dunno, an hour or two (or three, depending on what you make I guess) on Sunday (or whatever day you want) making your meals. Much easier to stick to a plan if you're putting predetermined amounts of food in tupperware.

Basically, take the work out of it. It'll be a lot easier to stick to the routine that way.

As for the workout, the best workout is one you stick to, so find something you like, even if it's just walking outside enjoying nature. That's a good enough start. As you clean up your diet you'll likely have more energy and will desire that activity. That's what happened with me anyway.

In regards to cutting back/cutting out soda, I think it's good to figure out why you like soda so much, and start from there. I still struggle on cutting soda completely out of my daily life, but have been pretty good at cutting back from what I used to consume. For me, it's the carbonation, and not necessarily the flavor, sweetness, or whatever that is what keeps bringing me back to drinking Diet Coke. Figuring that out has helped me identify solutions for cutting back, like drinking lightly flavored club soda when I get a bad soda craving. It's been really hard to completely cut it out, but I feel much better about my level of intake at this point than I did in the past. 

Its very hard to stop a habit and its always start on setting your mind and body. Refraining from foods that you used to eat is somehow nerve wracking at times. Its really tempting though but disciplining yourself is just the way round. I believe if you have a goal and is eager enough to accomplish it, there is no such thing as the word impossible, really. Just try your luck, give your best shot in depriving yourself from going to fast food chain and drinking soda. Well, how about you talk to a dietician first so that you will realize the consequences you can get if you continue your bad habits and to know what foods you should take if you want to live healthy and wise.

On 1/16/2017 at 4:02 PM, RoachRex said:

(My dad had a heart attack and they said the cause was diet soda.  The diet soda was worse than his smoking.)

Who is they?

This is almost certainly nonsense.  Caffeine could have an effect (never heard of it being linked to heart disease though), but the rest of the contents of DIET soda are quite benign. 

If "they" is a doctor, the opinion of a non-quack doctor should be sought.  

Protip - If diet soda was even slightly bad for the heart it would have been banned years ago (worse than smoking, lol).  Proving that diet soda/artificial sweetners is bad for you is heavily funded science that has thus far proven to be a total failure.  Aspartame is the most studied food substance on earth.  People WANT to believe it is bad for you, hence doubt will never go away, no matter how much the nonsense is debunked; it is the global warming of food science.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:03 PM, Allo said:

So my new years resolution was to start being more active, eat better and get off the soda for good but I don't know where to start. I have the worst time committing to a workout routine and I can't resist  the temptation of fast food and soda. What's the best way to kick my bad habits and lose the pounds.

Switch to diet soda.

If you already drink diet soda, you are barking up the wrong tree and expending (limited) willpower on something that will have ZERO effect on weight loss.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Who is they?

This is almost certainly nonsense.  Caffeine could have an effect (never heard of it being linked to heart disease though), but the rest of the contents of DIET soda are quite benign. 

If "they" is a doctor, the opinion of a non-quack doctor should be sought.  

Protip - If diet soda was even slightly bad for the heart it would have been banned years ago (worse than smoking, lol).  Proving that diet soda/artificial sweetners is bad for you is heavily funded science that has thus far proven to be a total failure.  Aspartame is the most studied food substance on earth.  People WANT to believe it is bad for you, hence doubt will never go away, no matter how much the nonsense is debunked; it is the global warming of food science.

They being his dr yes. 

Also the way you popped up, replying so aggressively 3 months after my response, it feels like you must work for a diet soda company lol.  

I didnt give a specific cause. Most likely it was bc the sodium levels are so damn high and he had problems with blood pressure in the past (though it had been good recently before the heart attack) . Idk and honestly i don't care. Also smoking isn't banned clearly the gov't doesnt give a shit. 

Lastly pro tip: climate change exists. You can't claim to listen to science and studies and then not listen to science and studies.

10 minutes ago, RoachRex said:

They being his dr yes. 

Also the way you popped up, replying so aggressively 3 months after my response, it feels like you must work for a diet soda company lol.  

I didnt give a specific cause. Most likely it was bc the sodium levels are so damn high and he had problems with blood pressure in the past (though it had been good recently before the heart attack) . Idk and honestly i don't care. Also smoking isn't banned clearly the gov't doesnt give a shit. 

Lastly pro tip: climate change exists. You can't claim to listen to science and studies and then not listen to science and studies.

It was one of the highest threads on this forum....

Smoking isn't banned because of a (once extremely) powerful Tobacco lobby.  Diet Soda/artificial sweetners have nowhere near the political clout, soda companies also make non-diet soda and other drinks, banning diet soda would do little to their bottom line, so there is no need for aggressive lobbying.

Agreed, climate change exists, pretty much all research agrees.  Likewise, all legit research ever has shown that currently approved (US/EUR) artificial sweetners aren't bad for you in the least bit.  A sizeable fraction of people (esp this board...) deny this science.

I dunno about that soda companies are pretty wealthy and in todays political climate that carries more weight than it should.

Also it varies. Diet soda sure isn't good for you though and whether thats bc of any number of ingredients or straight up the sodium level i dont know. But after a while of not drinking it you wont crave any of it any more.