Squat form check (high bar)

Hi all, can you please look at this squat form check video for me - any help would be massively appreciated!

I know it doesn't look right, but I don't know what to do to solve that. Is there something I can be doing to improve form here, or is the weight just to heavy for me?

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

That actually looks really good.  You can tighten up some more, but that will come with time.  Nice and smooth, nice depth and the bar goes up and down vertically.  All you need is time under the bar!!

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

On 1/13/2017 at 8:08 AM, Jarric said:

I know it doesn't look right, but I don't know what to do to solve that. Is there something I can be doing to improve form here, or is the weight just to heavy for me?

What do you think isn't right?  Does something feel odd or hurt aside from regular DOMS?

I see the same as @wildross: good depth, bar path and it looks pretty clean.

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Instagram | Symmetric Strength

"Life's like Sanskrit read to a pony" - Lou Reed

13 hours ago, wildross said:

That actually looks really good.  You can tighten up some more, but that will come with time.  Nice and smooth, nice depth and the bar goes up and down vertically.  All you need is time under the bar!!

45 minutes ago, navis said:

What do you think isn't right?  Does something feel odd or hurt aside from regular DOMS?

I see the same as @wildross: good depth, bar path and it looks pretty clean.

Cheers guys. I've been having some lower back pain with it, and really really struggling to keep my chest up and not turning it into a good morning.

I guess I thought my legs would stop me lifting heavier weight before my back did so that was my concern. Maybe as you say I just need more time under the bar to build that strength though?

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Just now, Jarric said:

Cheers guys. I've been having some lower back pain with it, and really really struggling to keep my chest up and not turning it into a good morning.

I guess I thought my legs would stop me lifting heavier weight before my back did so that was my concern. Maybe as you say I just need more time under the bar to build that strength though?

Mhm.  Lower back pain is a red flag to me, you don't want to ignore it.  You likely need small tweaks to your setup to keep tighter throughout the movement.  For me (I had similar issues ; lower back pain, chest collapsing), it was activating my lats and glutes more and taking a bigger breath.  If the lower back pain is a recurring thing, I'd take some weight off the bar and work on weaknesses, maybe add in some accessory work.

Level 5 Warrior

3 minutes ago, navis said:

Mhm.  Lower back pain is a red flag to me, you don't want to ignore it.  You likely need small tweaks to your setup to keep tighter throughout the movement.  For me (I had similar issues ; lower back pain, chest collapsing), it was activating my lats and glutes more and taking a bigger breath.  If the lower back pain is a recurring thing, I'd take some weight off the bar and work on weaknesses, maybe add in some accessory work.

Ok, cheers for the tip. Any ideas on specific accessories for this kind of thing?

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Ok, cheers for the tip. Any ideas on specific accessories for this kind of thing?

That'll depend on what your weaknesses are.  For me, glutes was just me not knowing to activate them from the start, whereas I had to add rows to strengthen my lats.  Breathing was the hardest ; I still struggle to keep my core tight AND fill my belly with air.  If glutes are problematic, you can look at glute brigges, hip thrusts, and/or getting a hip circle.

I don't want to give you specific advice because I can't tell from the video, but however tight you are when you start is how tight you should be throughout -- glutes, lats, core...  If you feel one or more of these loses tightness then that's what needs work.

• Like 1

Level 5 Warrior

8 minutes ago, navis said:

That'll depend on what your weaknesses are.  For me, glutes was just me not knowing to activate them from the start, whereas I had to add rows to strengthen my lats.  Breathing was the hardest ; I still struggle to keep my core tight AND fill my belly with air.  If glutes are problematic, you can look at glute brigges, hip thrusts, and/or getting a hip circle.

I don't want to give you specific advice because I can't tell from the video, but however tight you are when you start is how tight you should be throughout -- glutes, lats, core...  If you feel one or more of these loses tightness then that's what needs work.

That's really great, thank you! A bit of homework for me to do finding my weaknesses when I next hit the gym!

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Hi Jarric,

Quick question: are you trying to do paused squats? To me, it seems like you are sitting in the hole much longer than necessary. Most people when squatting will try to take advantage of hamstring tightness in the bottom of a squat and use it like a spring to explode out of the hole. Now when you get heavy weights it doesn't seem that explosive for most of us, but we need that momentum and that tightness in the bottom position to get heavy weights up.

From my perspective, it seems like there is not that bounce out of the hole and when you get into the hole you sink so deep you lose tightness because you have to relax to get there. I can see the argument made from olympic lifters that they want to practice getting as low as possible to replicate their catch position. However, for most strength trainees, I don't think there is a reason to go so low into the squat that you lose tightness. Personally, I would advise cutting off a high bar squat about an inch or so lower than you would a low bar (depends on your body I think), so maybe you are two inches below parallel instead of one. And then bounce right back out of the hole.

• Like 1

The iron never lies.

I was looking back at my own most recent squat and thought this might be helpful as an example.

This is about 97-98% of my previous max, but notice that it still seems pretty fast coming out of the hole. I cut off my depth just below parallel (I'm doing low bar - you can get away with maintaining tightness lower with high bar if you want) and I bounce up using the tightness of my hamstrings. So the squat looks really fast on tape even though in my mind I felt like holy crap this is heavy and moving so slow through the middle.

• Like 2

The iron never lies.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, mgage said:

Quick question: are you trying to do paused squats?

No, I'm not! I'd never thought about using that tightness to push up out of the hole, but I can see what you mean now. Thanks for the tip and I'll give it a go shortly!

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

My first thought when watching the video is that your glutes aren't tight on the initial un-rack of the weight.  I could be wrong since it's hard to judge, but try squeezing your butt before even un-racking and then try and maintain that tightness throughout.  That thought would sort of tie-in with the low back stuff since if your glutes aren't tight, it'll probably cause some more spinal movement at the bottom.  

Honestly, I think this is the same problem I have when squatting so maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.... :P  

• Like 2

Daily Log ]

6 hours ago, Rooks said:

My first thought when watching the video is that your glutes aren't tight on the initial un-rack of the weight.  I could be wrong since it's hard to judge, but try squeezing your butt before even un-racking and then try and maintain that tightness throughout.  That thought would sort of tie-in with the low back stuff since if your glutes aren't tight, it'll probably cause some more spinal movement at the bottom.  

Honestly, I think this is the same problem I have when squatting so maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.... :P  

Ok, I'd never even considered that so cheers for the tip. I will give it a go next squat day (and you should too :P).

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler