Violetta embarks again

Violetta

I'm a longtime NF reader and a member of the Academy, but I've fallen off the wagon the last few months. Trying to get more involved here for greater accountability!

I'm a full-time legal assistant and single mom to three child minions, so time is limited (as is energy). My first strategy, I think, is to figure out SOME way to wedge a workout routine into my days. I try to get up early and work out first thing but generally suck at it. But evenings are NOT working out -- by the time we're home and kids are fed, homework is done, and everyone under 4 feet tall is tucked in for the night, I'm generally wiped. My plan is to buy a sunrise alarm clock to help me get up instead of hitting snooze 20 times, and work out at least 3 mornings M-F, plus once per weekend. 

Second strategy is to plan my workout ahead of time instead of dinking around in the morning trying to decide what to do. 

Next up: Food. I eat out a ton and normally make poor choices when I do. Also want to start prepping more food ahead of time so the kids and I are eating better at dinner time instead of "Oh, crap, let's grab Happy Meals on the way to ____."

• Like 4

Welcome!

I've totally been in shoes close to yours (I only had two at the time), so I can completely understand how hard it is to find extra time for working out! One thing we used to do were have dance parties! It might not be a traditional workout, but you'll totally get your heart rate up AND (depending on the age of your kids) will tire them out to make bedtime easier!

I'll be checking in on you through the challenge. Sounds like it'll be a great few weeks!

• Like 1

Hi Violetta! Welcome to this Challenge, i'll be following along. You are a super mom, i can barely take of myself, what you do is amazing. And i like you goals, precise and simple to follow.

One thing I do to wake up early is to put the alarm clock really far away from bed, so i have to walk enough to regain conciousness and realize i got to work out because... well, i'm sure you have a good because to fill in the blank.

Good luck!

8fcae65ba313a004500f803e31c10909.jpg

I remembered this automatically when you introduced yourself :)

"Set a goal SO BIG that you can't achieve... until you GROW into the person who CAN"

Level 3 - Malcontent Adventurer

STR 4.75|DEX 4|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 6|CHA 6

Previous Challenges 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 

Current Challenge: [GIMENIUX] Fresh Start towards a Pinterest Success Story

0.5(4.0%) of 12.48kg of fat lost goal losed since Dec 30, 2016 (updated Jan 10, 2017)

If you can get a workout done in the mornings, I really won't have any excuse! Maybe when you get it done, you can say to yourself, "Ha! I win! I beat everyone!"

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Sylvaa, a dance party sound like an awesome idea!

In the summer, one of my favorite workouts is to take them to the park and climb and run around and use all the play equipment in creative ways. 

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! Hopefully it will help Monday morning :)

• Like 2

Got a workout in -- perhaps after taking a week or so off I shouldn't have chosen one of Fitness Blender's workouts with "brutal" in the title, but it's done now. Hallelujah. I thought I'd better get a longer, tougher one in while kids were at their dad's.

I'm going to stagger off to the shower (and perhaps a nap!)

• Like 4

No school today, so I took the day off and am home with the kids. Got a great 45-minute Fitness Blender HIIT/upper body workout in. My 5yo (pictured here doing chest flys) was my workout partner -- at the end, she announced brightly, "Mommy, do another one!" Yeah, not today, kid. 

To help with getting up in the mornings (since my new alarm isn't here yet), I've downloaded one of those barcode scanner alarms. It won't shut off until I get out of bed and go into the bathroom and scan a particular bottle of lotion that I keep up high on a shelf. I'm hoping it'll be effective!

16114843_10154409727879482_1012766604628834443_n.jpg

• Like 2

Your workout partner is super cute.:) Wow, that alarm is hardcore, good for you. 

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Wednesday morning workout was a bust -- opted to do something nicer than a ponytail with my hair today! (Then it started raining. Boo.) Will try again Friday and hopefully get in an extra weekend workout to make up for it.

@weaver, I am just trying to plan something the night before -- choose a workout that's the appropriate length and difficult, I think. Mostly I've been doing Fitness Blender workouts, because I love them and there's such a huge variety to choose from. (I also adore Kelli -- she's funny, real and has an extremely motivational physique!)

Barcode scanner alarm worked great! It was annoying as heck, but I guess that's the point ;) 

• Like 3

I did it!!!!! Got in 10 minutes of meditation (normally aim for 20, and while THAT feels interminable sometimes, 10 seemed strangely rushed) and a fairly brutal 15-minute kettlebell routine. That sequences of Turkish get-ups was killer. I feel on top of the world now, though!!!

I could have gotten in a longer workout, but I clearly have a boss battle ahead of me: Vanquishing Facebook the Morning-Eater. I tend to like scrolling through my feed and seeing what the latest updates are and then falling down the rabbit hole. (On Mondays and Wednesdays, the boss battle will be with Pokey-Man, the world's slowest-moving third-grader.)

• Like 1

Workout complete!

Had a rough night with a barfy kid, followed by a late night chatting with a girlfriend who kindly stopped by with a bottle of cab. But I did get in a short upper body workout (lower is still pretty sore from the kettlebell workout yesterday). Cardio tomorrow, I think, to make up for the missed Wednesday workout.

I'm trying to figure out a rough routine. I'm thinking in general, upper body on Mondays, lower body on Wednesdays, cardio on Fridays and total body on the Saturdays. (I usually mix in some cardio as well.) I also moved my dumbbell rack out to the living room to make my weights a little more accessible for my workouts. 

• Like 1

Hope your kid feels better soon. What kettlebell workout did you do? I love Turkish Get- Ups. To me they are like yoga with weights. I hear you on the boss battle with facebook. Establishing a morning routine ( where I don't waste time) has been my boss battle for the last 6 months.

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 1/21/2017 at 0:29 PM, Elastigirl said:

Hope your kid feels better soon. What kettlebell workout did you do? I love Turkish Get- Ups. To me they are like yoga with weights. I hear you on the boss battle with facebook. Establishing a morning routine ( where I don't waste time) has been my boss battle for the last 6 months.

Thank you! She is all better, thank goodness! The kettlebell workout was from Fitness Blender: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/kettlebell-workout-routine-for-strength 

Did another Fitness Blender workout today. This one didn't look too tough -- 30 minutes of HIIT -- but OMG. Halfway through and I was absolutely DRIPPING with sweat. My endurance is definitely increasing, though. 

Have had an amazing weekend. Went to the women's march in Lansing yesterday (pictured below) and it was even warm enough to take the kiddos to the park yesterday. Going off to visit a girlfriend soon first for a playdate/knitting sesh. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, weaver said:

Way to work out your muscles and your constitutional right to assemble!

That literally made me LOL! 

I was a little rushed this morning -- had an 8 a.m. appointment -- and ended up not having the time for the workout I chose last night. So I did a shorter upper-body, weights-only routine. Think my shoulders are going to feel it tomorrow. (My littlest workout buddy maintained she was going to exercise with me but ended up sitting on the couch watching instead. NOT helpful.)

Made pork roast last night and ALL the kids ate it (OK, one did it under protest), along with some fruit and veggies. Mom win! Also made some delish meatballs ahead of time for tonight. Tuesday nights are a big struggle because we have taekwondo and normally end up just grabbing pizza because we're in such a rush. I need to figure out something else fast and easy.

• Like 2

Hi!  Kudos to you for all of your hard work and meeting your goals while juggling the kids.

My little girl (7 mo) is my best workout coach...she loves to sit on my shoulders for 'baby-weight' squats or look up at me and giggle during push up sets.

Keep up the good work!!

• Like 2

Current Challenge: [Beginning Jan 2020]

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

Yay for the roast pork and the meatballs prepped ahead of time! Congrats on the weight loss and being so close to your goal. I think with NF it's not that we aren't excited about meeting our goal weight, it's just that we need to have a more specific goal than to lose weight. Someone's big goal might be to lose  x amount of weight, but in order to do that they need to have goals that will actually get them to that.

• Like 1

It's not been the easiest week -- big career decision, end of a (thankfully short) relationship last night  and two barfy kids, second one of which was pretty much all last night. I've just finished scrubbing the bathroom with bleach and am going to nap while Barfy McSickerson watches some videos. Then I will hopefully crush my workout.  Or at least dent it slightly. 

• Like 2

Oh no sorry. Take care and feel better soon.