Good source for info on healthy supplements

Psicodom

Hey team, any good websites you would recommend for good information on vitamins, minerals and other supplements such as probiotics ? I just want somewhere I can research by my own, trust and use it as a base for informed talking with health providers - true nerd fitness way!!!

I read a lot of lists on men's health mag, men's fitness mag, lifehacker, etc... but I wonder if there is a more authoritative place, or a more general public education place -  less commercial and more independent? It seems that sources for a specific recommendation are many times a industry trade association, pushing big doses. 

Tks

• Like 1

Regarding specific brands/products, in Germany we have the "Kölner Liste" (Cologne list), which lists products that are regularly tested for contamination with forbidden substances. These products should be safe to take and checking with the Kölner Liste should reduce the risk of getting accused of doping accidentally, only because you took a contaminated product or one where you didn't understand the label...
An entry on the Kölner Liste does NOT, however, say anything about the usefulness of the supplement. It only states that the tested batches were free of doping substances.

Your national andi-doping agency perhaps offers a similar service. In any case, the guys from the olympic centre Rhineland also have an english version of their site: http://www.koelnerliste.com/en/cologne-list.html

• Like 2

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

On 1/20/2017 at 4:42 AM, turboseize said:

Regarding specific brands/products, in Germany we have the "Kölner Liste" (Cologne list), which lists products that are regularly tested for contamination with forbidden substances. These products should be safe to take and checking with the Kölner Liste should reduce the risk of getting accused of doping accidentally, only because you took a contaminated product or one where you didn't understand the label...
An entry on the Kölner Liste does NOT, however, say anything about the usefulness of the supplement. It only states that the tested batches were free of doping substances.

Your national andi-doping agency perhaps offers a similar service. In any case, the guys from the olympic centre Rhineland also have an english version of their site: http://www.koelnerliste.com/en/cologne-list.html

We honestly have very little regulation on supplements in the US..as in, pretty much nothing.

That said, I've been on the lookout for a supplement manufacturer on the Cologne List that sources from Germany, makes supplements pure and in bulk for purchase by individuals.  For comparison I'm presently using www.bulksupplements.com for my supplements, their quality is decent but manufacturing is in China which worries me.  I'm trying to find their german equivalent.

To the OP:

The list of supplements that have been proven to work is actually pretty small, there is a lot of stuff on the market that does nothing for you.  There is also quite a bit that is dangerous.

Your first goal should be to have a locked in diet.  A lot of people look to supplements to replace things in their diets or fill in holes and that's a terrible waste of money.  If you're looking for anything based around nutrients, I would only recommend doing so if you have a deficiency that can't be made up elsewhere (Iron for example is hard for some people in some regions of the world).

All of that said, you can usually just google something like "creatine monohydrate study" or "dextrose supplementation dosages" and get hits on actual studies where you can read exactly what was done, and what the results were.  Anything you read that is produced by a supplement manufacturer is going to be all hype, at the end of the day their goal is to sell you stuff and the more they sell you the better.

I have found that for the most part, articles on www.bodybuilding.com are decently accurate.  They tend to summarize things quite well without getting too lost in the details.  I usually use that as my starting point.  I wouldn't necessarily trust them on dosage recommendations, I've found that while some articles have been updated with dosages that follow current studies they've got quite a few others that haven't.

When in doubt, if you've got a question about a particular brand, supplement, or ingredient feel free to post up about it here and we'll help you out and provide resources.

• Like 1

Re supplements made in Germany: 

Creatine: you could look for the "creapure" trademark. That stuff is made by AlzChem AG (formerly SKW Trostberg) in Germany, but sold by many different brands around the world in their own packaging. Costs quite a bit more than the chinese stuff, but  worker's wages in Bavaria also tend to be a bit higher than in China... 

Protein: I do not know for sure, but there are rumors that MyProtein get's the major part of their whey and casein powders from Sachsenmilch AG (which was aquired some years ago by the Theo Müller holding). Keep brexit in mind, nobody can say if and how that might influence suppy chains.

• Like 1

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

Hi there. My dear friend recommended me lately one cool website. They have a wide range of diet supplements and I'm gonna try it out. I am still not 100% convinced if it's gonna work perfectly, so it would be great if any of you have tried it before and can give me your opinion? Thank you. All the info is here 

• Like 1