Shoe Rotation Question

I know rotating shoes is supposed to help decrease injuries but How exactly do you go about rotating your shoes? Do you wear one pair one week and the next the next week? Switch every run? Also do you buy two of the same shoe (ie asics cumulus) or two different shoes (brooks ghost and asics cumulus)? Right now i only own one pair and am hoping soon to beable to get properly fitted but I wear a woman's 12 with narrow feet and high arches so finding even one shoe that works is a serious challenge. Thank you for your help.

9 hours ago, Scatterbunn said:

I know rotating shoes is supposed to help decrease injuries but How exactly do you go about rotating your shoes? Do you wear one pair one week and the next the next week? Switch every run? Also do you buy two of the same shoe (ie asics cumulus) or two different shoes (brooks ghost and asics cumulus)? Right now i only own one pair and am hoping soon to beable to get properly fitted but I wear a woman's 12 with narrow feet and high arches so finding even one shoe that works is a serious challenge. Thank you for your help.

There is no specific science behind shoe rotation. The concept is that always running in the exact same shoe can increase the chances of repetitive motion injuries. Using 2 or 3 different pair of shoes allows you to decrease the possibility that because every model of shoe is slightly different and exercises you in a bit different way. Same brand is fine but must be different models to gain the benefit. I like to wear my New Balance 1080s on my long runs (Sat) and Saucony Kinvara's (or if the mood strikes me, Altra Instinct 3.5s) on my shorter Mon and Wed runs. Some people switch off every other run. Others just grab the shoe that fits their mood.

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

What I try to do is get a sense of when one pair is reaching the end of its useful life, get another pair, and then gradually break or ease them in and the old pair out so there's no point where I've got a useless pair and a brand new pair. What I *actually* end up doing is getting a new pair, being amazed how much better they feel, and retire the old ones almost straight away.

I'm currently on the last of four pairs of identical shoes. Bought the first pair full price brand new, picked up another two as part of a mad clearance offer, then found a fourth in a different clearance as pair two was wearing out. One, two/three, and four were different colours, but the same underlying shoe. Something I noticed was that pair three didn't seem to last very long at all - though I did run two marathons in them. I read somewhere that sometimes older clearance stock won't last so long because they've been passively degrading in the box, but I've also read that's a myth. So... no idea.

I'm tempted to think that it doesn't really matter a great deal as long as you've got at least one pair of comfortable shoes that fit. Probably is a good idea to ease out one pair and ease in another as I try and fail to do, but I'm not convinced that any benefit from having multiple pairs on the go at any one time is all that important in the grand scheme of running.

I suppose it depends how much money you're willing to spend on shoes and what kind of choice your feet type/shape gives you. I've got quite flat feet, and usually when I'm shoe shopping there's one clear 'winner' and perhaps one other that 'would do'. Think I'd rather run in the best fit rather than rotate to a less good pair, but if I had nice neutral vanilla feet where lots of shoes fitted equally well I might be more tempted to have several on the go...

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

2 hours ago, Rostov said:

I suppose it depends how much money you're willing to spend on shoes 

There is no additional cost to wearing multiple pairs of shoes. If 1 pair lasts you 300 miles, 2 will go for 600 total.

Here's some info on it....

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk

It sure can't hurt and it's rather pleasurable to have a different shoe feel from run to run IMO

• Like 2

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Thanks for the link, that's interesting reading and it looks like I'll have to rethink things. I do wonder what the effect of defining injury as narrowly as a single day is - perhaps that's a good thing as it will capture niggles and tweaks, but maybe it's the more serious injuries that we're interested in. I've have a read of the original paper and I don't have the background to understand the stats, but I couldn't help wonder if the kinds of people who are less likely to get injured are the kinds of people who rotate shoes. Also interesting is the finding about injury reduction and playing other sports/cross training.

I suppose it's no more expensive overall, but it is an upfront cost, at least until you've got shoes in and out of rotation. As to whether it can't hurt.... well, I suppose it depends on finding a second or third pair of shoes that feel right. But I'm going to go and have a look for a second pair and try rotating...

• Like 2

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

11 hours ago, Scatterbunn said:

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can find at least two shoes that will work, though I will probably not be able to afford (budget) to buy both at the same time. Worst case scenario would be one good shoe and a "sub optimal" shoe for shorter runs.

This is what I do.  My more comfortable shoes are closer to minimalist but not suitable for the long run. I have my Saturday long run shoes and my weekday shoes.

Interesting reading. Now I have an excuse to pick up those five-finger trail runners I've had had my eye on for a while.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)