Turning back the clock

16 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Apparently I t's all part of accepting my limits and choosing which things to do and knowing which I will just have to acknowledge that I can't do right now.  I'm not the best at that bit though, lol! :D  

I'm not the best at this either! I think that's a common thread here at NF. :) have you heard of the spoon theory? it's a helpful way to look at limitations, especially when it's physical based on your health or pain.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

On 1/30/2017 at 0:14 PM, Guzzi said:

I will track these using the pictures rather than the scale number.  I'm deliberately weighing myself in kilos so that I can't get hung up on the number.  Kilos mean nothing to me. :D 

I think thats an awesome idea! :) I too get hung up on numbers, and its great that you are setting yourself up to be as successful as possible! You have been such a support to me on these forums and I am so appreciative. I hope I can support you too! 

• Like 1

"We all went out for a meal last night to celebrate Colin's birthday and I was pretty good yesterday so I was able to dress up and even put on some make-up! :o"

Okay, going from the pictures you posted in your first post that you wanted to get back to, you look exactly the same if not happier!! You are beautiful, and Its awesome your boyfriend knows how lucky he is :) You seem to be thriving! 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, taymonsta said:

I think thats an awesome idea! :) I too get hung up on numbers, and its great that you are setting yourself up to be as successful as possible! You have been such a support to me on these forums and I am so appreciative. I hope I can support you too! 

Aww, thanks Tay!  That's really nice of you.  :redface-new:

16 hours ago, taymonsta said:

Okay, going from the pictures you posted in your first post that you wanted to get back to, you look exactly the same if not happier!! You are beautiful, and Its awesome your boyfriend knows how lucky he is :) You seem to be thriving! 

Eeeeeeeeeeek!  Compliments, my mortal enemy!  Must maintain composure...  

post-32278-doctor-who-OH-NO-YES-NO-gif-I

Thank you Tay, that's a lovely thing to say.  I have to admit, I have been a lot better the last few weeks and that night  we went out for a meal, I actually felt a bit like my old self.  It was really nice.  Going out just wouldn't have been possible last month, never mind getting dressed up, so fingers crossed that this is the start of an upward trend. :) 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 16/02/2017 at 8:12 PM, Mr.Six said:

Definitely true.  Other than being a mentor on the forums and seeking fun, what kind of self-care do you do?

Tbh, I've been pretty poor with that. I had a good routine going after my last challenge but it kinda fell away again what with things getting so bad for a while there.  I'm thinking of "officially" working on some of it during the next challenge, and unofficially between now and then (without too much pressure).

Ok, I thought about this and decided to try and do a little more to look after myself and posted a challenge thread after all.  If I feel it's too much at any point then I'll pull the pin but for now I'm giving it a shot.

On 17/02/2017 at 1:23 PM, karinajean said:

I'm not the best at this either! I think that's a common thread here at NF. :) have you heard of the spoon theory? it's a helpful way to look at limitations, especially when it's physical based on your health or pain.

still haven't had a chance to read this but thank you so much!

... You seem to be thriving! 

This comment started me thinking, and I've been pondering the difference between how things appear online and how they are in the real world, all day.  

When I first joined there were people who were veterans, with thousands of posts to their names, and I looked up to them because I thought that they had so much experience.  Being very active on the forum doesn't mean that you are someone to aspire to, possibly even the opposite, since any time you spend on here is time that you aren't "out there" enjoying life.  I'm always quite amused by the contradiction in this.  Similarly, the person who can give you lots of advice about diet, exercise and fitness isn't necessarily slim and athletic.  Plenty of people on here have built up a huge amount of knowledge and experience on the subject, but that doesn't mean they have been able to apply it to themselves.   Lots of people have gregarious on-line personas but suffer crippling social anxiety in real life.  The internet gives us freedom to be someone other than ourselves, or maybe just a better version of ourselves.  

It made me wonder...  Do I really seem like I'm thriving?

I'm quite active on here right now but that's because I have a lot of time on my hands where I can't really do much else.  When I post on here about something that I did, I don't mention that it might have been the only thing I managed to do that day.  I don't post about the pain, the exhaustion, the frustration (at least I hope I don't!) because I want to focus on the good bits and find the positive where ever I can.  What I guess I'm trying to say is that if I can make other people think that I'm really doing well, then I'm doing it right.  I'm building my persona back up and making her seem like she's this great person.  The next step will be convincing myself that I really am her.  That bit might take a while longer but I'm working on it. :) 

Thank you Tay.

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

On 2/18/2017 at 10:55 PM, Guzzi said:

When I first joined there were people who were veterans, with thousands of posts to their names, and I looked up to them because I thought that they had so much experience.  Being very active on the forum doesn't mean that you are someone to aspire to, possibly even the opposite, since any time you spend on here is time that you aren't "out there" enjoying life.  I'm always quite amused by the contradiction in this. 

I second this, although coming from a different perspective which is the NGO I was a part of. People who have thousands of posts or events in their history generally fall into two categories - those who are indeed very experienced because they have made the most out of their participation within the organisation, weaving it with their outside experience and enriching both themselves and the organisation, and people who just have spent a lot of time within the organisation, they have incorporated a lot of organisation "culture" and you want to take what they rather critically because some tend to become very narrow-sighted as a result, repeating common misconceptions that arise in any closed environment. 

Also, on a personal level - being completely honest the reason I am here is because my support network on everything that is fitness sucks. Not that I don't have friends or acquaintances, etc. Some are even gym-goers, but in terms of a proper community dedicated to one objective where everyone supports each other - nope.

Similarly, the person who can give you lots of advice about diet, exercise and fitness isn't necessarily slim and athletic.  Plenty of people on here have built up a huge amount of knowledge and experience on the subject, but that doesn't mean they have been able to apply it to themselves.   Lots of people have gregarious on-line personas but suffer crippling social anxiety in real life.  The internet gives us freedom to be someone other than ourselves, or maybe just a better version of ourselves.  

The question here though is whether this matters? We tend to say "those who can't do, teach", and it is meant in a negative sense. I think though, that it is the wrong attitude. People for whom something comes naturally are often horrible teachers, because they never had to break down their success to their basic mechanics. That is why underachievers often are the best at teaching, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

It made me wonder...  Do I really seem like I'm thriving?

I'm quite active on here right now but that's because I have a lot of time on my hands where I can't really do much else.  When I post on here about something that I did, I don't mention that it might have been the only thing I managed to do that day.  I don't post about the pain, the exhaustion, the frustration (at least I hope I don't!) because I want to focus on the good bits and find the positive where ever I can.  What I guess I'm trying to say is that if I can make other people think that I'm really doing well, then I'm doing it right.  I'm building my persona back up and making her seem like she's this great person.  The next step will be convincing myself that I really am her.  That bit might take a while longer but I'm working on it. :) 

I find it very inspirational that you can do that. I can't, I feel like I would be selling a sham if I did it. I want people to realise I struggle that sometimes I only manage to do one thing but keep going on. I feel that sometimes, because there are so many internet personas showing just the best sides of themselves, other people tend to be discouraged, because they feel they have to be like that all the time. When it could not be further from the truth. :)

That is just me though, I realise that there are also a lot of people that need heroes, inspirational figures that never fail, to look up to. So it is good that there are also people providing that image that they can turn to.

In any case, for you personally, I am glad that you are focussing on the positive and I do hope that strategy works!

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

23 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

Also, on a personal level - being completely honest the reason I am here is because my support network on everything that is fitness sucks. Not that I don't have friends or acquaintances, etc. Some are even gym-goers, but in terms of a proper community dedicated to one objective where everyone supports each other - nope.

Oh God yes!  When I started going to the gym as part of my recovery I would come home so full of excitement - "Guess what!  I deadlifted 17kgs today!" and he could not have been less interested.  Mots of the time when I said that I had done a deadlift he would ask "Is that the one where you lift it over the head?"  I swear he was doing it deliberately to undermine me.  *sigh*  And there was no one else apart from the other girls at the gym who understood what the heck I was talking about.  

Then my sister introduced me to NF and this place became a haven for me, somewhere that people would understand and support me.  I supect there are a lot of others who feel the same. ;) 

The question here though is whether this matters? We tend to say "those who can't do, teach", and it is meant in a negative sense. I think though, that it is the wrong attitude. People for whom something comes naturally are often horrible teachers, because they never had to break down their success to their basic mechanics. That is why underachievers often are the best at teaching, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Oh I totally agree.  I remember someone posting on here about a "skinny" co-worker giving them unsolicited (and horrible, faddy) advice about how to lose weight, when they themselves had a really good understanding of diet and nutrition but were just struggling to beat the cravings and lose weight.  He tried to explain to her why her faddy diet was a terrible idea for long term weight loss but she wouldn't listen, because obviously he couldn't know anything on the subject, right?  He was really annoyed (and quite rightly) at this woman for dishing out bad advice and acting as though she must be right just because she weighed about 2st.  

It was actually this that I was thinking about when I wrote about people not being able to apply the knowledge to themselves.  It wasn't a criticism in any way, just a musing on how we can appear so different online because the preconceptions or barriers have been removed.  I think it's a good thing for a lot of us, we can use our online personas to build our confidence, and it can help us IRL too.  At least, it did for me.

I find it very inspirational that you can do that. I can't, I feel like I would be selling a sham if I did it. I want people to realise I struggle that sometimes I only manage to do one thing but keep going on. I feel that sometimes, because there are so many internet personas showing just the best sides of themselves, other people tend to be discouraged, because they feel they have to be like that all the time. When it could not be further from the truth. :)

Hmm, very good point.  I dislike all the fakeness on instagram and facebook and whatever, where people will go into a bar just to get a photo taken there so they can post "having a few drinks at ..."  even though they weren't, or some such rubbish!  People feel the need to create a life on social media that just isn't true to feel like they have value.

I suppose I'm doing a similar thing, though what I'm trying to do is to focus on all the good things, the happy things, because I want to be that person again, the happy, smiling person.  I don't want to focus on all the negatives, because I've had enough of them! :D   I'm usually a very optimistic and resilient person, but the last two years really broke me mentally.  I couldn't cope and eventually I accepted that I needed help and was prescribed antidepressants and counselling , though the NHS being so over stretched I had to pay for the counselling privately.  Ugh!

The other thing, I suppose, is that I feel like people don't want to hear about when you're in pain and how bad it is.  I'm sure you've experienced this yourself, people stop phoning you and when you speak to anyone you can see that they become... I dunno, bored?  Uncomfortable?  You can see them thinking "Why did I ask!" when you give an honest answer to "How are you?"   People only really want to hear about the plucky fighter who still has a smile on their face despite all the pain.  In some ways I feel like I can't be honest about how bad things are because people would get fed up of hearing it and I wouldn't get the support that I do right now.  But it is mainly that I don't want to focus on the bad bits.

On that though... How are you, really?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Guzzi said:

People only really want to hear about the plucky fighter who still has a smile on their face despite all the pain.  In some ways I feel like I can't be honest about how bad things are because people would get fed up of hearing it and I wouldn't get the support that I do right now.  But it is mainly that I don't want to focus on the bad bits.

I grew up in a household where my depression was treated like a joke and the expectation was that I'd just push on with a smile.  I've come to believe that it's our trials and struggles that define us.  Our pain and scars reveal our true selves, even if the world wants a candy coated reality.  People love to see triumph, but the reality is that life involves a lot of mire and struggle.  Sharing that struggle, bad days included, is always welcome in my book.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:55 PM, Guzzi said:

The internet gives us freedom to be someone other than ourselves, or maybe just a better version of ourselves.

Or, it lets you be yourself. Your real self. The one you don't know how to show in person because you don't have the confidence to let people see what really makes you tick. I say bless the Internet. For all the bad out there, and we all know there's a lot of it, there are so many hobbit holes like this one that save people... probably daily. It's hard to explain to someone who's never participated, but this is as real as life gets when you're pouring your soul out and have people engaging you because they feel the same way too. Here's to each of you, the real you, the best you.

• Like 3

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

On 21/02/2017 at 10:23 AM, Guzzi said:

Oh I totally agree.  I remember someone posting on here about a "skinny" co-worker giving them unsolicited (and horrible, faddy) advice about how to lose weight, when they themselves had a really good understanding of diet and nutrition but were just struggling to beat the cravings and lose weight.  He tried to explain to her why her faddy diet was a terrible idea for long term weight loss but she wouldn't listen, because obviously he couldn't know anything on the subject, right?  He was really annoyed (and quite rightly) at this woman for dishing out bad advice and acting as though she must be right just because she weighed about 2st.  

It was actually this that I was thinking about when I wrote about people not being able to apply the knowledge to themselves.  It wasn't a criticism in any way, just a musing on how we can appear so different online because the preconceptions or barriers have been removed.  I think it's a good thing for a lot of us, we can use our online personas to build our confidence, and it can help us IRL too.  At least, it did for me.

Ah! That's interesting. Definitely refreshing to see someone has similar thoughts to mine. :)

Hmm, very good point.  I dislike all the fakeness on instagram and facebook and whatever, where people will go into a bar just to get a photo taken there so they can post "having a few drinks at ..."  even though they weren't, or some such rubbish!  People feel the need to create a life on social media that just isn't true to feel like they have value.

Don't get me started on instagram. Just don't...

I suppose I'm doing a similar thing, though what I'm trying to do is to focus on all the good things, the happy things, because I want to be that person again, the happy, smiling person.  I don't want to focus on all the negatives, because I've had enough of them! :D   I'm usually a very optimistic and resilient person, but the last two years really broke me mentally.  I couldn't cope and eventually I accepted that I needed help and was prescribed antidepressants and counselling , though the NHS being so over stretched I had to pay for the counselling privately.  Ugh!

I don't really think so - I mean, on the outside, it may appear that way, but the purpose is different. "Look at these drinks I am having..." is seeking validation tha tyour life is awesome, or giving the appearance that it is. You are doing this as a way to recover. It is not the same thing.

The other thing, I suppose, is that I feel like people don't want to hear about when you're in pain and how bad it is.  I'm sure you've experienced this yourself, people stop phoning you and when you speak to anyone you can see that they become... I dunno, bored?  Uncomfortable?  You can see them thinking "Why did I ask!" when you give an honest answer to "How are you?"   People only really want to hear about the plucky fighter who still has a smile on their face despite all the pain.  In some ways I feel like I can't be honest about how bad things are because people would get fed up of hearing it and I wouldn't get the support that I do right now.  But it is mainly that I don't want to focus on the bad bits.

Oh god, yes. I hate it as much as the Instagram fakeness.

It is actually an issue I have too and that I really dislike about myself - I have a very short attention span and a tendency to quickly analyse and look for solutions. So, when people around me start venting, I will be genuinely listening while I try to understand what issues are plaguing them. However, as soon as the person switches from explaining their problems to just venting, going on about how sad they feel, etc. etc. and repeating themselves, I find myself zoning out. And I really dislike it, because I want to know what is wrong with people's lives, I want to know the honest answer to "How are you?" However, I find myself unable to provide the support needed. :/

However, then there are those who don't just look bored but have a genuinely horrified look on their face when you start being honest. Those people can go fuck themselves.

On 21/02/2017 at 4:34 PM, Mr.Six said:

I grew up in a household where my depression was treated like a joke and the expectation was that I'd just push on with a smile.  I've come to believe that it's our trials and struggles that define us.  Our pain and scars reveal our true selves, even if the world wants a candy coated reality.  People love to see triumph, but the reality is that life involves a lot of mire and struggle.  Sharing that struggle, bad days included, is always welcome in my book.

This is the most beautiful way I have found to represent this concept:Kintsukuroi-Collage.jpg

14 hours ago, J3NN said:

Or, it lets you be yourself. Your real self. The one you don't know how to show in person because you don't have the confidence to let people see what really makes you tick. I say bless the Internet. For all the bad out there, and we all know there's a lot of it, there are so many hobbit holes like this one that save people... probably daily. It's hard to explain to someone who's never participated, but this is as real as life gets when you're pouring your soul out and have people engaging you because they feel the same way too. Here's to each of you, the real you, the best you.

There is some truth to that, but I don't fully believe it. Some of us, yes, we allow our real selves to be shown here, others... less so. But then again, that is because my cynical side is rearing its head. You are all saying beautiful and wise things so I will stop talking now before I ruin it. :)

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

On 21/02/2017 at 10:37 AM, zenLara said:

Glad to see you around!

Hey Lara!  I'm glad to be back.  I'm not able to come on as often as I'd like - painkillers messing with my head, exhaustion, 3 children (part time), I've really struggled to catch up with everyone.  You are on my list to catch up with, soon. :D 

On 21/02/2017 at 3:34 PM, Mr.Six said:

I grew up in a household where my depression was treated like a joke and the expectation was that I'd just push on with a smile.  I've come to believe that it's our trials and struggles that define us.  Our pain and scars reveal our true selves, even if the world wants a candy coated reality.  People love to see triumph, but the reality is that life involves a lot of mire and struggle.  

I am with you 100% on this!  I really feel that my (physical) scars are something that tells the story of who I am and what I've been through.  I might not want to deliberately show them off, but those who know me know what those scars mean, they mean I survived, against the odds.  As for my mental scars, my past has shaped me into the person I am now.  Without all the shit I went through as a kid, and the aftermath that lasted until I was in my mid 20s, I wouldn't have the understanding and compassion that I do now.   I wouldn't be the person that I am now.

Someone once asked me "If you could go back and undo it all," meaning the accident and my husbands death "Would you do it?"  I really don't think I would.  Those two events reshaped my life, and they made me a stronger person with a better grasp of what was important in this life.  I don't think I would want to go back to being the person I was before.  I like me as I am now. :) 

On 21/02/2017 at 3:34 PM, Mr.Six said:

Sharing that struggle, bad days included, is always welcome in my book.

Thank you.  That is such a nice thing.

On 22/02/2017 at 5:00 AM, J3NN said:

I found the confidence to be myself in real life because of the support and affirmation that I got by being myself on here.  I had always been very insecure and I wasn't really able to be myself for fear of rejection.  For me, this place was a genuine life saver.  I think it's very true that without this community to support them, many of our members would be in a very bad place right now.

19 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

However, then there are those who don't just look bored but have a genuinely horrified look on their face when you start being honest. Those people can go fuck themselves.

Haha!  The "Oh fuck, get me out of here" look.  I've seen it a fair few times too.  

One of the most aggravating for me is when people try to brush what you're going through aside and start trying to tell you "cheer up, it's not all bad" or "you've got to look on the bright side/you've got to stay positive".  Why the fuck ask me how I am if you're just going to belittle it and tell me that it's not "that bad"?  What the fuck do you know about it, have you ever gone through it???  This is how I feel right now and my feelings are valid, so fuck you!

Gosh, you'd think I was a foul mouthed, angry dock worker from that. :D  But it's true, people really don't want to hear about it when things aren't going well. 

19 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

This is the most beautiful way I have found to represent this concept:Kintsukuroi-Collage.jpg

This is beautiful!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Gosh, you'd think I was a foul mouthed, angry dock worker from that. :D  But it's true, people really don't want to hear about it when things aren't going well. 

You're not??

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

On 17/02/2017 at 1:23 PM, karinajean said:

Oh my gosh!  I just got around to actually reading this and it is exactly what it is like!  I've just never mastered the "count your spoons for the day" bit. :D 

• Like 1

On 23/2/2017 at 4:59 PM, Guzzi said:

Someone once asked me "If you could go back and undo it all," meaning the accident and my husbands death "Would you do it?"  I really don't think I would.  Those two events reshaped my life, and they made me a stronger person with a better grasp of what was important in this life.

You're such a brave person.

And you have given me a lot to think about.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, zenLara said:

You're such a brave person.

And you have given me a lot to think about.

Oh stop it you! :P  It's very true that we really "don't appreciate anything until we've lost everything" - Belle, from Beauty and the Beast.  I have a friend who's in a horrendous situation, she took ill and went from being independent and self employed to being in a wheelchair with little use in one of her arms, her husband left her, and she was completely dependent on carers.  She has multiple seizures a day and can't really be left on her own. :(  But she says the same thing, it's made her who she is, and at the very least it brought about the end of a bad relationship.  She's now married to my friend Armando, and has the worlds most amazing service dog!  She is probably the bravest person I know. :love_heart: 

I will try to write a proper update later, there's things I want to share, but tiredness is getting the best of me right now. 

• Like 3

My best friend had a rat in high school and it was a pretty amazing pet.  It also met an unusual and most spontaneous end...but that is a story for another time.

Is this another time yet? :lol: 

So.....  A proper update. 

My plan to accomplish this involves:

No. 1 - Post monthly progress pics

Coming shortly!  February is almost over.

No. 2 - Post my food accomplishments

One of my goals for my challenge has been "no sliced bread" which has been really good, it's stopped me from relying on sandwiches and such, which in turn has meant that I've eaten better as a result.  Score!  I'm not sure yet if this will have a negative impact on my waistline, I will just wait and see if the downward trend continues or not before making any judgements. Which, considering I only weigh myself once a month, could take a while. ;) 

I try to work around my limitations, so I keep a lot of things in shock that make cooking easie.  One of the things that I had in the cupboard was a pot of instant spiced couscous with lentils, you literally just pour in boiling water, leave it for 5 mins and ta-dah!  This came in very handy for lunch one day when the fridge was bare and I really didn't want to fail my goal and make a sandwich.  I remembered about the smoked mackerel fillets I had in the freezer so I had a quick google to see what I could do and I found this recipe for Peach, Mackerel and Green Grains, which got me thinking.  

I remembered the couscous lentil pot in the cupboard, there was some salad leaves in the fridge (and a bag of pea shoots) and some beautifully ripe nectarines in the fruit bowl.  I present to you my lunch: smoked mackerel with nectarines, pea shoots, with spiced couscous and lentils.  

6f239e10d8bdfaa49c0f98db4d97ac34.jpg

It looks and sounds like something you'd order from a bistro But it was super simple and easy to make.  Thank you Google! :encouragement:  

I had been hankering after my mums home made spicy tomato soup so when a friend came round for lunch one day, she helped me make a pot, but without the spicy bit.  She has a condition where certain foods dissolve her tongue (ouch!) so chillies are a no go for her.  I had a bag of ready chopped soup veg (carrots, celery, leeks and kale) so basically all we needed to add was some stock, 3 tins of tomatoes, a little sugar and some herbs, we got at least 6 bowls of soup out of it!  Tthere was some additions made on day 2 to pep it up and make it go farther, some chorizo and some beans, which made it very filling.

I also convinced Colin to help me make Kale, Feta and Filo Pie, against his better judgement apparently.  Which is super easy to make and really tasty, even for greenaphobics like Colin. :D  I didn't have any cherry tomatoes so I used sundried ones instead.  Like I said, well stocked cupboards. 

5554da0bcab6523014af54ced8cf1ef1.jpg

No. 3 - Be active on the forum

Meh, this one I've not been so hot on this last week or two, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.  You only get so many spoons a day, huh @karinajean?  **wiggles eyebrows**  It's not something that most people would think of as a "spoon" but writing this post has taken me since yesterday, I started writing it just after submitting my last post.  It takes a lot of brain power to write something like this (for me anyway) and I tend to just write small sections at a time.  It can take a while, lol!

im-slow.jpg

No. 4 - Search out opportunities for fun

THERE HAS BEEN FUN EVERYBODY!!!  

tumblr_inline_ohqw5wjsZS1qc4dlx_500.gif

I'm late in posting about it but since the purpose of this is to keep the fun things in my thoughts then it's all good. 

A couple of weeks ago we went into town, for my physio I think, it was one of my best days, the sun was shining and I was feeling really good.  I had to go to the bank so we were on the high street and on a complete whim I said to Colin "let's go for a coffe" so off we went arm in arm, it sounds romantic but it's really so that I only have to use one crutch, to the lovely little Peerie Shop Café.  We didn't get coffee in the end, since it was coming to lunchtime we opted to have our lunch in the cafe.  This might not sound like much but I was sitting there with a daft grin on my face, it was so nice to do something so normal and to feel so good while doing it.  I really was taken away from it all for a while and just enjoying being with the man I love on a lovely sunny day.  - Dix points!

ten-points.jpg

We have been out to 2 different Up Helly Aa celebrations.  The link there takes you to the page about the capital (Lerwick)'s celebration but every area has their own, there's 11 of them between January and March.  There is a lot of festivities surrounding each one but we just went and watched the torchlight processions (not torches like you normally use, we're talking fence posts topped with paraffin soaked hessian) and the burning of the galley, which for the Noth Mavine celebration, was done in a loch and the galley pulled out to sail across the water aflame.  This is then followed by a night of dancing and singing, and a LOT of drinking!  You've gotta give it to these Shetlanders, they sure know how to throw a good party.  I'm hoping to be able to join in sometime, maybe next year if things go well with this next op, huh? :)  That would be nice. 

• Like 7

Well done, Guzzi!  

raw

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

On 2/26/2017 at 0:59 PM, Guzzi said:

We have been out to 2 different Up Helly Aa celebrations.  The link there takes you to the page about the capital (Lerwick)'s celebration but every area has their own, there's 11 of them between January and March.  There is a lot of festivities surrounding each one but we just went and watched the torchlight processions (not torches like you normally use, we're talking fence posts topped with paraffin soaked hessian) and the burning of the galley, which for the Noth Mavine celebration, was done in a loch and the galley pulled out to sail across the water aflame.  This is then followed by a night of dancing and singing, and a LOT of drinking!  You've gotta give it to these Shetlanders, they sure know how to throw a good party.  I'm hoping to be able to join in sometime, maybe next year if things go well with this next op, huh? :)  That would be nice. 

One thing I'm learning and loving about these forums is how awesome it is to be connected to people across the globe. Learning about different cultures and especially their traditions and celebrations is so awesome. This may be "normal" for you, but I appreciate you sharing it here and exposing me to new things. One sadness about the melting pot of America is that traditions have been lost along the way. Sure we have our fireworks and barbecue on Independence Day, but counter that with the commercialization of everything else....Anyway...just thank you for sharing!

Here's a special nod to you participating next year!

• Like 2

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

On 2/17/2017 at 5:23 AM, karinajean said:

Okay, I just read this too...  I read this trying to understand a new friend's plight, and I think it has given me a much broader understanding... working in a healthcare environment, we are surrounded by people everyday that need our help, this puts into perspective how it's not just clinical care that they need. Anything we can do to assist them could be the difference in the rest of their entire day. Thank you for sharing!

J3NN

5 hours ago, J3NN said:

One thing I'm learning and loving about these forums is how awesome it is to be connected to people across the globe. Learning about different cultures and especially their traditions and celebrations is so awesome. This may be "normal" for you, but I appreciate you sharing it here and exposing me to new things. One sadness about the melting pot of America is that traditions have been lost along the way. Sure we have our fireworks and barbecue on Independence Day, but counter that with the commercialization of everything else....Anyway...just thank you for sharing!

Here's a special nod to you participating next year!

Oh don't worry, it's not "normal" for me either, lol!  I'm from the west coast of Scotland but I moved to Shetland in January 2015, it's all still an amazing spectacle to me.  Up Helly Aa really is bigger than Christmas here, at least when you consider that the Lerwick Jarl (the leader of the viking "Jarl (pronounced yarl) squad") has to wait 15 years between being picked to be a Jarl and his turn coming.  It's insane!  They will then spend the 2 years before their turn hand crafting every single piece of their kit, from axes, helmets and shields to their clothing, and the boat, or "gally" - which they tow through the streets of the town surrounded by the torchbearers, then of course it gets burnt, after all that hard work!

Yes the whole world is getting smaller and, it seems, less interesting.

• Like 1

Monthly progress pics - 1st of February to 1st of March

Front

6a17c558d1251823599ba5b8757a8cfd.jpg

Side

7b940248849df2aa11a701ecd004c803.jpg

Back

f020f2bf473968ac9c7d17ca82e4ad6b.jpg

February Weight 68.3kg

March Weight 68.3kg

There's no real difference between February and March, either in the actual weight or the photos but it's out there for everyone to see.  Accountability for the win!

• Like 4