After a year-long hiatus from the Rebellion, I've made it back here to start my fitness journey all over again. Not by choice. 

The long version of the hows and why's are here if you feel like a read.

The short version;

Aussie Roller Derby player / hospitality professional. Broke an ankle, am now housebound. Gone from SuperActive to CouchSurfer. Non-weight bearing for another month on my right leg. Then have to learn to walk and skate and play and work all over again. Without my usual routine I've lost everything that defines me and I want it back. Starting from the beginning because if I have to sit on the couch like a sloth for another month I'm gonna lose it. 

Long Term Goals;

Walk again sans limp. completed 23/3

Be cleared to skate again. completed 19/4 

Skate a whole training session. Again, preferably without too much pain. 

Re-Pass my Minimum Skills. All of the skills a roller derby player needs in one simple test.

Play a full Roller Derby Bout. I'm aiming for September for this to become a reality. The long weekend in September is the state tournament for all the teams and I wanna play. I feel this also gives me more then ample recovery time to rehab my broken ankle and be able to skate safely on it without fear of re-injuring it or anyone else. 

Find a new job that I am excited for. Not hospitality. If further study is a thing then so be it. Not hospitality. Can't do it anymore. 

Feb 2017 Goals.

Spoiler

I will be taking on the Feb 4-week challenge, but I couldn't wait until then to begin. I started yesterday (1st Feb) doing the very basics because I need to do something. 

1. Watch 2 games of Roller Derby a week.

I can't skate but that doesn't mean I can't learn and participate in my sport. Watching games played by the pros is a good way to pick up strategies and plays that we can try in our own practice sessions. I aim to do this on Mondays and Thursdays, before I go to training. 

Bonus points; take notes while watching games. And at training. Write down things to try later once I can skate again. 

2. Do Body Weight exercises daily.

I'm not allowed to use my right leg so I've had to pick a few basic moves that I can do without it. Unfortunately this takes away most lower body exercises (although I'm all for suggestions!) that won't drastically increase my imbalance in leg strength. My upper body has always been a bit behind my lower body strength anyway so it seems like a good time to work on that and my core. Any increase in fitness will help my ability to be a kickass derby player when I get back. 

I've always been terrible at motivating myself to workout at home so I've had to start right at the beginning. Every day I'll be adding +1 reps to my workout, or +5 seconds to the two core holds I'll be doing. By starting with a workout that takes <5 minutes I hope to build the momentum to work up to longer workouts. 

The moves I'll be doing are;

Push Ups. But on one leg. The good leg.

Tricep Dips. I'll also be balancing on the one leg while doing these.

Clamshells. One each side. About the only leg / glute exercise I could think off that I didn't have to stand up for. 

Superman Holds. in 5 second increments. 

V-up holds. For some more complicated core work. also in 5 second increments.

3. Dynamic warmup before every workout.

Seems obvious, but it needs to be done. I'm not moving very much apart from my workouts so my limbs would probably appreciate the extra bloodflow. I use the dynamic warmup that we do before training, just balancing on my knee scooter instead of standing up.

Bonus points; do it more then once a day. Like after sitting down for a while. 

4. Be a responsible technology user.

Now that I'm housebound I've been using my spare time to catch up on the many video games I haven't finished / started. Which is great, but I need to look after myself while I do it. Taking breaks to eat food or do housework or stretch or go for a "walk" are all things I can do. I aim to have a 10 minute break for every hour of technology use. 

I can do this. I just need some external butt-kicking motivation and somewhere to track my goings on. And contact with the outside world is always nice too. xD

Mar 2017 Goals

Spoiler

So that was fun. This time around I am focussed more on getting my leg working, and working more on some writing that I always wish I was doing but instead put off for other things. Like social media. Bad. 

My goals for the next month/challenge are as follows;

CARDIO; 3x a week. On the stationary bike, in intervals. Increase intervals weekly.

PHYSIO; do what they say when I see them on Thursday. Do some derby ankle strengthening stuff I found on the internet until then.

WALK; continue logging daily steps, improve weekly. Resetting the counter to 0 and starting from wherever I end up at the end of this week to improve, as the last two weekends have been very step-heavy, not intentionally. 

MEDITATE; daily. Just for a few minutes. Either in the morning before getting up and doing anything, or in the evening before sleeping. 

WRITE; daily. I can either work on my sci-fi story in progress or journal about the day or vent about shit that's annoying me. Gratitude and successes are a bonus if I write about them. Ideally I will do this immediately after getting up (and drinking coffee... :P ) or before I hit the sack for the evening.

I also want to try keeping up the habits of getting up and away from my computer every hour and watching two roller derby games a week. Because Derby is fun and getting up is good for me. xD 

Apr 2017 Goals

Gym 3x Daily

Meal Prep 1x Weekly

Design Daily

Journal Daily

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Feb 1.

First day tackling this. Naturally super motivated to do all the things. 

BWs:

Warmup? Y

Push ups; 1

Dips; 1

Clamshells; 1

Superman Hold; 5s

V-up hold; 5s. 

Tech:

7 hours on. 50 minutes off. All was going well until my S.O came home and we watched Neftlix for 3 hours until bedtime without breaks. Tsk.

Stonie

They/Them

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Feb 2.

Day 2. still motivated. Got up earlier then I have been also (9am.)

BWs:

Warmup? Y

Push ups; 2

Dips; 2

Clamshells; 2

Superman Hold; 10s

V-up hold; 10s. 

Bonus:

Derby training started tonight, and while I can't skate, I can certainly join in with the end-of-training body weights sessions that are a new thing now. 

Push ups; 5 one-leg, 5 knee

30 sec one-leg plank

30s side plank (left side only)

30 sec backwards plank (bit like a v-up)

10 clamshells each side

Bonus Bonus: Took a few notes on the skills they were learning, like where weight transfer and how to bounce off a bigger blocker to use your momentum. 

Tech:

4.75hours of technology, 1.3hours of break time. Did a bit better today, walked away from the Xbox to have a shower, and later a nap.

Watched Derby? Y

VRDL v Rose City 2016 game.

Both teams jammers (point scorers) in this game do amazing whirlwind jumps on the edges of the track around the opposition, and I love VRDL's constant wall reforming. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 3.

Gotta do the thing. So I did the thing. After coffee. Sleeping better now I'm allowed to take my moonboot off when I'm being still. Like when I'm alseep. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push ups; 3

Dips; 3

Clamshells; 3

Superman Hold; 15s

V-up hold; 15s. 

Tech

8 hours of technology, 1.75 hours of break time. Did washing, ate food, did a little bit of extra self care (face mask, did my nails all sparkly) in between watching Dr. Who and playing pokemon. Even though I've seen it before, Tennant's leaving still made me shed a tear. xD

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 4.

Saturday. Weekends normally throw me because my S.O is home and I don't wake up at a usual time and we go do stuff. Did okay though. Nearly didn't do my body weight exercises after falling asleep on the couch at 8:30pm after dinner for a bit but knowing it wasn't going to take very long helped me get to it and get it done. 

(bonus) Derby

Spent 2 hours at a weekend bootcamp our team hosted for the players, a blocker from one of the best teams in the capital city came down to teach us lots of blocking and edgework stuff. I couldn't participate with the on-skates stuff but I could ask questions and take lots of notes. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push ups; 4

Dips; 4

Clamshells; 4

Superman Hold; 20s

V-up hold; 20s. 

Tech

2 hours of technology, 20 minutes of break.

Spent most of today out. Went to Bunnings, went food shopping. It took a bit more effort then usual to get around the shops and I was exhausted by the time we got home.

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 5.

Sunday. Got my workout done before going to boot camp for two hours 

(bonus) Derby

2 hours of taking notes at boot camp. Lots of team blocking drills and reforming and having basic stuff explained in a different way. T'was great.

Fitness

Warmup? Y

Push ups; 5

Dips; 5

Clamshells; 5

Superman hold; 25 seconds

V-up hold: 25 seconds. 

A fellow gimp (damaged roller derby player; we have a Facebook group and everything) found a really cool full-body workout in a chair that I can do instead of my body weights as a sort of sitting cardio workout. I plan on doing it if I plateau on any of my body weight exercises. I also have a list of yoga poses that I should be able to do without the use of my right leg if I need a rest day. I don't want to have a total rest day because I don't want to lose my streak of actually doing workouts. 

Tech

4.75 hours of technology. 1.5 hours of break time. Spent most of today away from home or doing gardening and napping. Tech time was spent on the internet and on my phone and watching Netflix. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 6.

Derby

Was supposed to watch a game online; didn't. Also didn't go to training because I figured they'd be re-capping the stuff from the weekend and I didn't want to sit there for 3 hours watching repeats. xD I've found a game to watch tomorrow so I can watch and take some notes as well. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push Ups: 6

Dips: 6

Clamshells: 6

Superman hold: 30 seconds.

V-up hold: 30 seconds. 

The first few push ups in my set felt much stronger today, just the last few felt a bit less strong. Dips felt good, I could do a heap more of those. The clamshells were just starting to make my butt ache too. The core holds are just starting to make me shake. Still feeling good, might not need a rest day for a few more days. Definitely going to keep going while I can. 

Tech

7.25 hours of technology, 1.2 hours of resting & breaks. Spent most of the day playing Realm of The Mad God (found it on Steam xD) and checking facebook and instagram. Remembering to have breaks made it more likely that I got up to do my body weight exercises while I waited for my 10 minute timer to tick down. I also remember to eat food. Otherwise I would just have sat all day in front of the computer and forgotten to eat and get up and stuff. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 7.

Derby

Watched a game I was going to watch yesterday. VRDL All-Stars vs Texas Texecutioners 2016

I try to watch a lot of VRDL's games because they are the top Australian team and also ranked #2 in the whole world of roller derby. This one was close. VRDL's wall kept getting broken up by Texas, which in a way was good because I was trying to see what they did when they reformed.

Bonus points: took some notes. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push ups: 4.5 X

Tricep Dips: 7

Clamshells: 7

Superman Hold: 35 seconds

V-Up Hold: 35 seconds. 

Failed my push ups so tomorrow is going to be a rest day from this. I'll do some yoga or maybe some chair-cardio. xD

Tech:

10 hours of technology, 1.4 hours of break time in between that. Got a bit carried away on RotMG in the evening but did get out of the house and plant some sunflower seeds, which I've been meaning to do since before I broke my ankle.

Bonus points: scrubbed my feet (the skin on my bung foot is a bit gross because it's hard to scrub around the healing scars) and did a face mask. Yay, self care!

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 8.

Derby

Bonus; Went to the monthly committee meeting. Mostly for the pizza.

BWs

Warmup? Y

Rest day. Did some yoga instead. 

Sunbird for 1 minute each side

Locust, held for 1 minute

Cat & Cow for 2 minutes

Seated Forward Fold for 2 minutes

Cobra for 1 minute

Legs-up-the-wall for 5 minutes. 

For total of 13 minutes of yoga. There were definitely a few sore muscles in there. My right hamstring and left groin especially. 

I will give my body weights session another go tomorrow. 

Tech

6 hours of technology, 1 hour of break time. Spent the first hour working on grants and committee meeting stuff. Then the next two working on coding a basic timer to count my technology sessions & breaks without me having to try and remember how many times I've stopped for breaks; for now I'm trying to remember to add it to a spreadsheet as I go. 

The rest of the afternoon was spent a bit on social media and mostly on RotMG.

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 9

Derby

Went to training for 3 hours. Helped with scrimmage jam timing and calling penalties. Also watched VRDL vs Bay City. It was a blowout game but I noticed some footwork stuff and blocking tactics.

Bonus points: took notes.

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push Ups: 5

Tricep Dips: 5

Clamshells: 5

Superman Hold: 25s

V-Up Hold: 25s

The push ups are still hard work. I filmed myself doing them today and my bum drops a bit on the way back up. So I think I'm going to continue increasing the reps if I fail, but do them in multiple sets instead of just doing the one set and then have a rest day every few days. Everything else is still easily do-able. 

Bonus: did off-skates fitness with the team at the end of training. A few more push ups, some planks & clamshells.

Technology

4.5 hours of technology, 40 minutes of break time. Spent another hour or so coding my internet break timer, an hour and a half of that was watching the game, half an hour in the morning on facebook and instagram while lying in bed, and the rest of the time playing RoTMG. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 10.

Derby

Did nothing. Nada. Well, did a little bit of committee stuff. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Pushups: 0

Dips: 6

Clamshells: 6

Supermans: 30s

V-up Hold: 30s

Did no push ups today because I did extra at training the night before, but thought I might as well do the rest of my workout. My push ups can just catch up when they are ready. xD

Tech

7 hours of computering, 1 hour of break time. Mostly RotMG, a bit of coding. The internet was crapping out on me due to the heavy rain and stuff so I couldn't download some stuff I needed to finish my timer thingy. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 11.

Derby

nothing today. 

BWs

Took a rest day.. We didn't get up until lunch time and then did very little, so I thought I might as well have a total rest day. 

Tech

8.5 hours of technology, 1.25hours of break. Watched a lot of TV and couch surfing. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 12.

First official day of the challenge today. Let's get on it.

Derby

nothing today. Didn't need to, it's sunday. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push Ups: 7 (incline)

Dips : 7

Clamshells: 7

Superman Hold: 35 seconds

V-up hold: 35 seconds.

Did incline push ups off the coffee table (about half a metre off the ground)

Tech

5 hours of technology, 1.2 hours of break time. it's hard remembering to get up and get away from the screens when the S.O is hard because we just couch surf indefinitely on weekends. xD 

In other news, I was tired all day today. Don't know why, no matter what I did I couldn't wake up properly. Must not have slept well. Probably didn't help that I woke up in a start when my sister banged on the door. To be fair though she brought baked goods. xD

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 13.

Derby

Managed to watch half a game on the internet before my service crapped out due to the bad weather, so this had to go on hold. I'll watch the rest of it tomorrow. 

Bonus: went to training, tried to be helpful, managed to join in with some of the off-skates fitness as well. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

Push Ups: 8 (incline)

Dips: 8

Clamshells: 8

Superman hold: 40 seconds

V-up hold Bicycle Crunches: 40 seconds

I wasn't feeling the v-up holds very much at all so I swapped to bicycle crunches after we did them at training and they were much harder. I think also I'm going to swap from supermans to just doing good ol' planks. 

Technology

6.25hours of technology. Did a bit of AS3 coding, watched Megamind on Netflix, watched a bit of roller derby, worked on some derby committee meeting stuff. 1.25 hours of break time. Doing exercise, reading some of my old sketchbooks, cooking food, drinking tea. The usual stuff. 

Stonie

They/Them

Good luck with your challenge!

Skateboarding always attracted me, but i have never tried it due to the "danger" of breaking another bone. I will ask you for help if i will buy a skate :P

• Like 1

"A single spark of passion can change a man forever
A moment in a lifetime is all it takes to break it"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lpKBtgNBhB25X29RhKQVD5QgbYu0xAo3Bbfzpsj4YOc/edit#gid=0 - My Life Roadmap, updating :D

Thanks Skomenk! I was on roller skates :P Which probably made the break worse with the extra leverage my foot had to bend in a way it doesn't. I think I'll just stick to skating on flat surfaces from now on. 

Feb 14.

Derby

Finished watching the game I started watching (Texas vs Angel City Big O 2016). It was interesting watching teams that aren't VRDL to see how they cope with blocking and re-forming and stuff. 

BWs

I ended up having a rest day as I was busy cleaning the house and cooking for valentine's dinner with my S.O. and I was a bit sore so I let myself rest. It's only my second total rest day since the 1st of Feb so I wasn't going to stress over it. 

Tech

7 hours of technology, 2hours of break time. Mostly just watched TV during the day while cleaning and cooking and stuff, then started playing Doom in the evening. Admittedly I stayed on Doom for a few hours straight but as I'd had extended breaks during the day I didn't stress. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 15. 

Derby

Just did a little committee stuff; started filling out a grant for some equipment we would like. 

BWs

Warmup? Y

bonus: did the warmup routine again later in the afternoon after sitting and playing Doom for a while. 

Push Ups: 9

Dips: 9

Clamshells: 9

Bicycle crunches: 45 seconds

Plank: 45 seconds

This was hard today. Not just "slightly more exhausting then usual" but hard. I think I need to warm up a bit more. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt the chair cardio routine I found on Facebook before I do the body weights part of my workout. I'm going out with Mum in the morning so it might not get done till later in the afternoon.

Tech

7 hours of technology, 1.6 hours of break time in between all that. Got carried away getting stuck on Doom. >.>

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 16. 

Spent all day out in town with my Mum shopping and eating and stuff and I was exhausted by the time I got home, so I had a nap and then headed straight to derby training. Basic things are all a bit more exhausting when you have a broken ankle. I didn't watch a roller derby game and I did no body weight exercises or chair-cardio today.

Derby

Was supposed to watch a game but didn't. Will make up for it tomorrow.

BWs

Warmup? X

Didn't do these either, like I said I would. tsk.

Tech

Just the one hour of watching TV / checking the internet after I finally go home from training. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 17.

Derby

Watched half a game in the morning before I left to go help a few league mates assemble some new loaner skates we bought as a league.

BW

Warmup? Y

Did chair cardio first in tabata intervals. 50 seconds on 10 seconds off. I was actually sweating by the end of it! It's been a while.

Push ups (incline): 10

Dips: 10

Clamshells: 10

Plank: 50 seconds

Bicycle Crunches: 50 seconds. 

Tech

4 hours of internet time, 1 hour of break time. I couldn't sleep so I got up again and worked on what I would like to one day be a book I write. xD

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 18.

Derby

Watched the last of the game I started yesterday (Rose City vs Minnesota Roller Girls) - didn't take notes, just enjoyed Scald Eagle's many apex jumps and beautiful toestop footwork.

BWs

Warmup? Y

I was sorer then I have been today so I did yoga tonight instead of doing bodyweights. Felt good. 

Sunbirds

Cat / Cow

Locust

Cobra

Child's Pose

Lying Knee Twist

Legs-up-the-wall

Shoulder stand

Tech

5.75 hours of technology. 1.2 hours of break time. Spent most of my internet time on Khan Academy, first watching some Javascript tutorials then when they started using fractions I got flustered I jumped to re-learning how-to do fractions. I think I've done more maths study tonight then I ever did in my entire schooling life. XD

Stonie

They/Them

Week 1 Wrap Up

Derby: 2/2

Didn't watch both games all at once but I watched 2 games over the week. I read something today about humans having something called "Mirror Neurons" which means if we watch lots of something we start doing the thing how we've seen it. Which I really hope is true, especially for my roller derby skills. xD I still feel motivated to be looking after myself and be a part of my league despite not skating so I hope I can keep this up and make a triumphant return to skating eventually. Derby has been my motivation to look after myself for so long I can't afford to lose it really :P

Bonuses: +2

Took notes while watching a derby game online.

Took notes at training.

Body Weights: 5/7

4 days of body weights, 1 day of yoga.

Two days where I struggled to fit exercise in with what I had planned. I was also sore and didn't want to push it too much, but with a bit of tweaking I should be able to do some sort of physical movement every day, even if it's not body weights every day. One more week of this and I may be changing it up depending on what my surgeon says when I see him in a week. 

Bonuses +1

Did a chair cardio session before one body weights session, I think it helped warm me up and get ready to do push ups and other stuff. 

Warmup: 5/7

I missed this on days I didn't do my body weights sessions. I should do this at some point during the day even if I take a total rest day.

Bonuses +1

I did do this one extra time during one day where I spent most of it playing Doom. 

Technology: 7/7

This is going well. I averaged 5 hours of technology and 1 hour of break time. Which is slightly better then I was aiming for. Remembering to get up and away from the computer or Xbox made it more likely that I would do my body weights and/or other fitness stuff, as well as general housework and eating food. I also started wanting to use my technology time more efficiently because I was actually tracking how long I was on there and didn't want to spend my whole hour scrolling mindlessly through Facebook. Which happened a few times, but I was mindful of it for a change. I'm interested to see how this continues in the next few weeks. 

Bonuses +3

Self-care: did a face mask.

Self-care: painted my nails.

Self-care: had a nap after an awful night's sleep. 

That was really a rather successful week. All of my quests are working together in a way I didn't intend but was pleasantly surprised about. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 19.

Derby:

Did nothing. 

BWs

Bad start to the week. Didn't do anything. got carried away on the computer. tsk

Tech:

5.75 of computer / TV watching time. Spent most of that on Khan academy learning about javascript programming and fractions. 

2 hours of break time. I had a nap and cooked food. 

Stonie

They/Them

Just had a moment of panic and self-doubt because I couldn't find my official league travel team uniform shirts (because they were buried in my wardrobe) - like some judgy gremlins had snuck into my house in the middle of the night and taken them away from me because I'm broken and not "on the team" and therefore no longer good enough. I earned my uniform with lots of hard work and thinking they were suddenly missing gave me a bit of a scare. Shut up self-esteem gremlins. Just because I'm broken doesn't mean I'm not still part of my team. They are hanging up in plain sight now so I remember why I'm taking the time to heal my ankle and look after myself - to get back into the shirt representing my league!

+1 to me for crushing that moment of self doubt. An injury like this before I joined roller derby would have put me in a bad place. 

Stonie

They/Them

Feb 20.

Back on track. All good. 

Derby:

Watched VRDL vs Angel City: Big O 2016. Was good. VRDL's defence looked rattled for a bit there. That doesn't happen very often. 

Bonus: Got my sausage sizzle volunteers organised and made a phone call about buying some sausages.

BWs

Warmup? Y

(incline) Push ups: 11

Dips: 11

Clamshells: 11

Plank: 55 seconds

Bicycle Crunches: 55 seconds

Bonus: did chair cardio first before body weights. Warming up before doing the body weights definitely helps (duh.)

Bonus +1: Did some yoga at training while I sat there. Sitting still is not easy for me anymore :P

Bonus Bonus: did another dynamic warmup at training also, with the team. 

I'll see how sore I am tomorrow. If I'm not sore I'll do another session; but otherwise I might just do the cardio and then some yoga. 

Technology

5 hours of technology, 1 hour of break time. Spent a bit of time working on committee stuff, then watched the derby game, then did a bit of javascript coding. Got up to eat, make tea, do exercise, have a shower. 

Stonie

They/Them