Warrior Cardio: Tanktimus does 5x10

Last challenge I stalled on several of my lifts while testing my 1RM. I think several things contributed to this. I’m cutting slowly, and that can affect progression on lifts. I’m overweight, so cutting is going to take priority, I’ll take the gains where I can, but my waist needs to get smaller for long-term health, and I decided last challenge I’m playing the long game from here on out. What has happened so far is I’m stable on weight with my waist slowly going down, which I will gladly take as long as it keeps coming. Another factor I suspect is needing more lifting stamina. Therefore I’m going to do something I’m not going to enjoy that will be very helpful. I’m going to do a full four weeks of 5x10 on my lift days. I do a periodization plan that has you test your 1RM every seven weeks. The weeks normally fall like this

Week 1 5x10

Week 2 1x10 5x8

Week 3 1x10 1x8 4x6

Week 4 1x10 1x8 1x6 3x4

Week 5 1x10 1x8 1x6 1x4 2x2

Week 6 1x10 1x8 1x6 1x4 1x2 1x1(at current 1RM)

Then you test.

As I said, I’m gonna spend four weeks at 5x10 to build some conditioning that will build a base for the heavier weeks. I spent the last week of the previous challenge at a de-load 5x10, and I will spend week zero doing yoga and walking the whole time to give myself a rest. My goals are as follows

Image result for strength gif

Strength: 8 lift days. Pretty straightforward here. I will do Bench and Squat on Mondays or Tuesdays and Deadlift and OverHead Press on Wednesdays or Thursdays. The change will be all four weeks will be 5x10 as discussed above

Image result for flexible dog gif

Mobility: 6 NF Yoga workouts. I’ll do one session each of Water A and B, one sessions each of Fire A and B, and one Session of Star A and Yin. Last challenge I did Star B for the first time, I had to modify a lot more of that session than I did of Star A, so I’m going back to Star A for the time being to build some flexibility. I like rotating the sessions because it keeps me from getting bored and Water A and B are shorter, it’s nice having the option to do them on a rushed day.

Image result for walking gif

Walking: I have great places to walk, so it’s not hard to get out and do. There will be six walking days, a 2 mile, 4 3 mile walks, and a 4 mile walk are the goals.

Image result for cleaning gif

Domestic Rangering: Still the goal here to do laundry, clean bathroom and kitchen and mop and vacuum once per week.

Image result for eating gif

Eating: I will cook paleo and only allow myself two variances per week. This seems to be working, the trick is not to use a variance to go crazy. I’m going to track calories on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays. The goal is to track, when tracking I find I naturally keep myself on target.

Here’s what I’ll use in the signature instead of progress bars.

Strength: 8 Lift Days

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Mobility: 8 Yoga Days

Water A | Water B | Fire A | Fire B | Star B | Yin

Walking: 4 Walk Days

2 Miles | 3 Miles | 3 Miles | 3 Miles | 3 miles | 4 Miles

Domestic Rangering: Laundry, Mop, Vacuum, Bathroom, Kitchen 1x Week

LMVBK | LMVBK | LMVBK | LMVBK

Eating: Cook Paleo with only two variances per week

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _ |

• Like 22

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 2/2/2017 at 0:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I do a periodization plan that has you test your 1RM every seven weeks. The weeks normally fall like this

Week 1 5x10

Week 2 1x10 5x8

Week 3 1x10 1x8 4x6

Week 4 1x10 1x8 1x6 3x4

Week 5 1x10 1x8 1x6 1x4 2x2

Week 5 1x10 1x8 1x6 1x4 1x2 1x1(at current 1RM)

Then you test.

This is interesting.  Sure!  Whatever works it good!

On 2/2/2017 at 0:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As I said, I’m gonna spend four weeks at 5x10 to build some conditioning that will build a base for the heavier weeks.

This looks very good!  A 5x10 progression?  It is not quite as evil as a 10x10 progression, but it is still 50 reps!

And.  IN! :D

• Like 4

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Love the idea of "domestic rangering"!

Weird things happen when you google "ranger apron"

il_570xN.1048856762_9rot.jpg

• Like 9

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

On 2/2/2017 at 1:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Therefore I’m going to do something I’m not going to enjoy that will be very helpful.

Words of wisdom right here. Following again!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Following only to miss three pages of forum chat in a day and rush to catch up again HI!! :D

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

2 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

This is interesting.  Sure!  Whatever works it good!

This looks very good!  A 5x10 progression?  It is not quite as evil as a 10x10 progression, but it is still 50 reps!

And.  IN! :D

Glad to have you, your tales of misery with 10x10 will keep me going with 5x10.

2 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Love the idea of "domestic rangering"!

Weird things happen when you google "ranger apron"

il_570xN.1048856762_9rot.jpg

I have no words...

2 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Following!

Glad to have you!

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

shifty-cat-looking-around-paranoid-eyes-

So many numbers.

Following!

Yeah, I don't normally post that kind of stuff because it takes too long to post.

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

No cute gifs, but I'm here to follow this plan, and for chatting, mucho chatting :D

:D 

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Here again! :D

Glad to have The Mighty Deffy!

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Words of wisdom right here. Following again!

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

Following only to miss three pages of forum chat in a day and rush to catch up again HI!! :D

You can keep up, I know you can.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 2/2/2017 at 7:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The change will be all four weeks will be 5x10 as discussed above

You are so gonna regret this decision during your workouts, and you are so gonna love this decision in between your workouts. Here to see how this unfolds! 

• Like 10

... a little odd in the head ...

17 minutes ago, mr_willes said:

You are so gonna regret this decision during your workouts, and you are so gonna love this decision in between your workouts. Here to see how this unfolds! 

Right?! It's the "I hate this so much" during your workout, followed by "wow that was so fun/worth it" 10 minutes after completing said workout. 

I never keep up, but i shall stalk like a mighty ranger hunter (not to be confused with a hunter who hunts rangers...)

• Like 7
2 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Thanks, this is something I've avoided, but I know the benefits are going to be worth it.

2 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Right?! It's the "I hate this so much" during your workout, followed by "wow that was so fun/worth it" 10 minutes after completing said workout. 

I never keep up, but i shall stalk like a mighty ranger hunter (not to be confused with a hunter who hunts rangers...)

You're in on the first page, that's gotta be worth something.

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

That's a lot of lifting volume.  I'm interested to see how well it works for you. :)

Me too. I probably won't know till the next challenge.

1 hour ago, imprimis5 said:

I'm here for the recipes and to support! :-P

Glad to have you.

Today is a good day. Went to the PD Chaplain meeting, where I opened up some about all the emotional work I've been doing, and it helped. Did NF Yoga Water A for my workout today, which I needed. My posterior chain is happy with me right now. Lunch/dinner was a pineapple cucumber salad, dressed with honey, lime juice, salt and chili pepper spices. The main course was ground turkey, a diced shallot, coconut flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lots of jerk seasoning and a can of coconut milk. I put the coconut milk after everything else had pretty much cooked and let it reduce down. Very tasty. I don't plan on eating anything else, so here's the calories:

Totals 2,410 97 169 129 1,563 67  
Your Daily Goal 2,423 303 81 122 2,300 91  
Remaining 13 206 -88 -7 737 24  
  Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
  • Like 13

Current Challenge

Wow, I got to Tank's thread before it hit page 2! :D Following of course! Also, will be following your recipes with a closer eye, since this challenge I'm trying to add in a lot more Paleo to my diet. Also, that dog yoga gif is the best thing I've seen all day :) 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

Following again.....

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Following~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Wow, I got to Tank's thread before it hit page 2! :D Following of course! Also, will be following your recipes with a closer eye, since this challenge I'm trying to add in a lot more Paleo to my diet. Also, that dog yoga gif is the best thing I've seen all day :) 

I wonder how long it took to train the Dog to do that...

2 hours ago, Rinna said:

Following again.....

Glad to have you!

1 hour ago, Yasha92 said:

Following~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!

Current Challenge

I'm not really sure what your challenge is about because I was distracted by all those amazing GIFs ... but I gather it's about lifting really heavy things and eating really good food, so I'm here to follow!

tumblr_mt262nXc3X1s066hwo1_400.gif 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There will be six walking days, a 2 mile, 4 3 mile walks, and a 4 mile walk are the goals.

Finally following one of yours, also I thought you wrote 6 walks a day.

• Like 2

OCEAN RANGER

YOUTUBE ADVENTURES

2 X IRONMAN, 3 X half IRONMAN, 3 X GORUCK Challenge, 2 X GORUCK back to back, Way too many GORUCK lights

Following because awesome :D I like your lifting plan. I found that 5x10 became more bearable after the first week but happy to have it behind me now

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Looks like a solid plan!  The high volume work might not be much fun, but it should help you build up stamina and prevent injuries (assuming you're lifting a slightly lower weight with the high volume).

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

On 2/2/2017 at 1:04 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I’m overweight, so cutting is going to take priority, I’ll take the gains where I can, but my waist needs to get smaller for long-term health, and I decided last challenge I’m playing the long game from here on out.

I am in the same boat as you with all of this...its been hard getting out of warrior mindset of doing anything to improve main lifts which was mainly eat more. Now I want nothing more than to drop this gut and will take whatever lift progress does or doesnt happen.

Following along!

• Like 3

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1