The story behind your username

Because I go where the work is, I've lived in 9 different cities in the past 10 years. "J" is the first letter of my first name.

• Like 3

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

On 05/08/2017 at 3:01 AM, VanGrrl57 said:

My username is one I have had for a while now. I am a full-time RVer and I live in my 1988 modified Chevy Astro Van. I belong to several RV sites and I'm 60 years old. Hence, VanGrrl57.

VanGrrl57

Ha!  This is awesome!!!  Can i be you when I grow up?  Please?  :D 

On 05/08/2017 at 3:59 PM, Juni0r83 said:

My dad and I share the same name. As a child I was referred to as "little Ian".

This is really common in Scotland, where I live, and you either get called different variations of the name (James, Jamie, Jim, William, Willie, Bill) or its "wee Ross and Big Ross.  No one ever, ever uses junior, I don't know why. :confused: 

My dad is Willie Miller, son of Bill Miller, one of my older cousins is William, and I don't know how many previous generations were "Willies" **snigger** too.  Apparently they took it quite seriously and my Granny (dads mum) wouldn't speak to my mum for weeks when she announced that my brother was going to be called Jonathan, not William.  

I kid you not that I also know 3 generations called Neil McNeil. **facepalm**.  Why would you do it, really? :D 

So, in most places online, Juni0r83 (0 for the o to distinguish me from the many people who call themselves Junior, and 83 because it's the year I was born) is the name I go by.

It's a name I continuously look at as something I should probably update one day, because I'm a man in my mid thirties, and Junior really feels like the sort of name you give a teenager, or young adult, and would mostly be used in a condescending way. I don't know. It's something I think about anyway.  

You're a year older than me, I'm an 82 vintage. ;)  

Its funny, but even though we all know that people can pick any picture they want as an avatar and that it isn't necessarily representative of them at all, you still respond to the visual que.  I can honestly say that I was mildly surprised to find that you are only a year older than me.  I've always thought of you as a strong, accomplished lifter (like your avatar), and a knowledgable, competent person, I guess that made me think that you were older (wiser?) than me even though the 83 bit should have been a giveaway. :D 

Just thought id share that with you, so you can see it from a different perspective. 

On 06/08/2017 at 8:38 AM, Nomad Jay said:

Because I go where the work is, I've lived in 9 different cities in the past 10 years. "J" is the first letter of my first name.

I had wondered about your username.  Plus your avatar always makes me smile. 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

This is really common in Scotland, where I live, and you either get called different variations of the name (James, Jamie, Jim, William, Willie, Bill) or its "wee Ross and Big Ross.  No one ever, ever uses junior, I don't know why. :confused: 

My dad is Willie Miller, son of Bill Miller, one of my older cousins is William, and I don't know how many previous generations were "Willies" **snigger** too.  Apparently they took it quite seriously and my Granny (dads mum) wouldn't speak to my mum for weeks when she announced that my brother was going to be called Jonathan, not William.  

I kid you not that I also know 3 generations called Neil McNeil. **facepalm**.  Why would you do it, really? :D 

Yeah, my dad was born in Kirkaldy. His granny was very angry that he wasn't named John as our family has an alternating pattern for first born sons (John, james, John, Ja,es, etc). Technically I think the tradition was upheld, Ian is Gaelic for John after all.

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

You're a year older than me, I'm an 82 vintage. ;)  

Its funny, but even though we all know that people can pick any picture they want as an avatar and that it isn't necessarily representative of them at all, you still respond to the visual que.  I can honestly say that I was mildly surprised to find that you are only a year older than me.  I've always thought of you as a strong, accomplished lifter (like your avatar), and a knowledgable, competent person, I guess that made me think that you were older (wiser?) than me even though the 83 bit should have been a giveaway. :D 

Just thought id share that with you, so you can see it from a different perspective. 

Are you sure that isn't a year younger?

But I get what you mean. I don't tend to respond to icons so much as vocabulary and sentence structure (which gets super confusing in an international group like this one) as well as the amount of advice the provide. More helpful, probably older right? Except I didn't start lifting until I was 31, I've seemed pretty young based on that criteria for most of my time here... 

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Akira Kurusu is the protagonist of Persona 5. A game that has had a major effect on me. It has reshaped my beliefs on time management, people management, etc. What shines out is that he has been wronged by the world and has immense social pressure onto him but has chosen to rebel. His archetype is The Trickster. The trickster seems to be a comedy of opposites. For every good aspect of his persona there is an equal and opposite aspect. In religious stories his role is very diverse. He is the breaker of taboos. He provides comic relief to a religious myth. And he will pull off elaborate schemes to teach a moral lesson or expose the folly of men.

He  is everything I wish to embody :)

Highly recommended to watch this video

• Like 1

Oh my goodness I thought I had posted here and I did not. So Jess is my name, and I've always referred myself to a jack/jill of all trades and am a strong believer in multipotentialities (because I am a hobby hoarder). So eventually I just stopped using jack and jill and put my own j starting four letter nickname in.

• Like 5

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Oh my goodness I thought I had posted here and I did not. So Jess is my name, and I've always referred myself to a jack/jill of all trades and am a strong believer in multipotentialities (because I am a hobby hoarder). So eventually I just stopped using jack and jill and put my own j starting four letter nickname in.
Multipotentialites is my new favorite word

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

During my brief stint in college I went to a costume party and decided to actually make Captain Fantastic. So I got a red morp suit and hot glued a big C F on the chest, got some blue high tops, blue fingerless gloves and a blue bath towel and put them all together to create Captain Fantastic! I also bought superman undies and wore them inside out but my girlfriend at the time demanded I put some shorts on instead. 

Dont believe you. We need proof. [emoji14] 
Took some time but i found onec586fbf1c69fa7f66be0a213ad24d07b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's neat, and so are you

On 8/10/2017 at 11:44 PM, Guzzi said:

I had wondered about your username.  Plus your avatar always makes me smile. 

Yeah, I love the Muppets (with the exception of the 2015 series. That was a travesty) and Sam is such an under-rated character.

• Like 1

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

On 16/08/2017 at 3:50 PM, Captainfantastic said:

Dont believe you. We need proof. emoji14.png 
Took some time but i found onec586fbf1c69fa7f66be0a213ad24d07b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is awesome!  I applaud you, Sir!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I'm kinda jealous of the stories behind usernames here. Some pretty epic stuff. Mine is fairly straightforward: it's from the LOLCats equivalent of the Devil. I picked it because I used to live in my parents' basement and one of my childhood nicknames was 'kitten' (sometimes 'pink kitten', ugh), so there we go.

I used to be called silver rapier because I used to fence, as in sword fight, and silver is my favorite metal, but I gave up the sport a long time ago.

• Like 3

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Oh man, now I'm wishing I had put a little more thought into my name. All these stories are awesome. 

Mine is, I have always been in love with space. Studied Astronomy in High school. Even had the standard glow in the dark Moon, stars, and planets on my ceiling when I was younger. Thus Galaxy. And Orchid is my favorite flower. Even keep one on my desk at work now that I'm older. Fake of course, because I don't think I could afford to replace them every few days. But then, after I picked the name, I googled it. Turns out there is a Galaxy Orchid, and it's my favorite colors! So that was the deciding factor for me. GalaxyOrchid it was.  

• Like 3

Character: Here

OLD, but relevant - Original Battle Log

Current Challenge: Here

On 5/27/2017 at 0:03 PM, Guzzi said:

But which Royal family?

^^That's a disgusting UK tv show called The Royle (pronounced royal) Family

Not that one! lol

Not sure why I didn't see this at the time tho sorry! 

But yeah my gma was like 12th cousin to the queen of England or something iirc lol

Leon, the Roach King - Troll Ranger - 5' 4"  214 lbs

"Of course it's not going to be easy, why would it be easy when it can be hard?"

Challenge 24 - [Rex's Ninja Training]
[Kingmaker Questline]

6 hours ago, Basement Cat said:

I'm kinda jealous of the stories behind usernames here. Some pretty epic stuff. Mine is fairly straightforward: it's from the LOLCats equivalent of the Devil. I picked it because I used to live in my parents' basement and one of my childhood nicknames was 'kitten' (sometimes 'pink kitten', ugh), so there we go.

I used to be called silver rapier because I used to fence, as in sword fight, and silver is my favorite metal, but I gave up the sport a long time ago.

Although Silver rapier, sounds like a superhero name (and an awesome one at that) you should be proud of yours. 

4 hours ago, GalaxyOrchid said:

Oh man, now I'm wishing I had put a little more thought into my name. All these stories are awesome. 

Mine is, I have always been in love with space. Studied Astronomy in High school. Even had the standard glow in the dark Moon, stars, and planets on my ceiling when I was younger. Thus Galaxy. And Orchid is my favorite flower. Even keep one on my desk at work now that I'm older. Fake of course, because I don't think I could afford to replace them every few days. But then, after I picked the name, I googled it. Turns out there is a Galaxy Orchid, and it's my favorite colors! So that was the deciding factor for me. GalaxyOrchid it was.  

Galaxy orchid sounds a lot like some super rare plant that blooms once in every 1,000 years. I like it! 

• Like 3

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

I like the tv show Dollhouse, and use Echo as a nickname in my name rotation (I have three names I rotate around). Echo was taken and as I was typing echo oceanic came in my head. I fused the o's, added an h for reasons I am unaware of, and boom.

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 8/31/2017 at 10:00 PM, Basement Cat said:

And it's been bothering me for so long that someone had stolen your avatar gif, only for you to now tell me that no, you simply changed names. Serves me right for not actually like, talking to people and stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

There are a lot of great stories behind these usernames!  I almost used something new and different; when I signed up I couldn't decide what to go with and you can only change once every 180 days so I ended up with this.  And by the time 180 days are up, I'm probably going to be too immersed in this identity here to want to change usernames without a major reason.  And note to self: when changing usernames, put "Formerly ______" in signature.

Sciread77 is actually my first post-college email address, from around 10 years ago.  It's a portmanteau of Science and Read, because I love both science and reading.  I'm embarrassingly clever. *turns beat red and hides*

I ended up using it for most of my health forum/login bits because a sizable chunk of the scientific literature I peruse is health-related.  It took me quite a bit of time to develop an appropriate skepticism of what I read and start to sort random "superfood of the week" crap out from evidence-based recommendations. My family, unfortunately, used to be avid Dr. Oz fans so growing up we chased stupid trends that were mostly snake oil sales pitches.  Ear candles.  Overpriced supplements.  Homeopathy.  Overpriced diet aids.  Supplements actually containing drugs but advertised as being "natural."  On that matter, "natural," "organic," etc marketing which sounds good but ultimately means little or nothing without appropriate regulation and QA testing.  

(I don't mean to start a flame-war or anything, but pseudoscience is a problem for our society and I tend to hate it).

I find that the username keeps the principles of science in the background of my mind, reducing (though probably not eliminating) the problem.  That sort of thing is a waste of money at best and dangerous at worst.  Things like fish oil have a lot of mixed research, but I've found that taking it substantially improves my joints and my doctors say it's not something harmful for a guy like me. On the other hand, the big HCG diet fad that went around a few years back really snagged my wife, sister, and mother's attention.  And it sounded good; a guy I know lost a lot of weight with it.  Until his health rapidly deteriorated. Turns out it's more or less a starvation diet masquerading dressed up in some pseudoscience.  

I seriously debated using an old SWRPG chat character of mine.  He was an alter ego for a long time, but he needs to be reinvented.  He was basically everything I was but magnified.  Which means he was in better physical shape but substantially worse mental shape.  I'm working on a rebirth, and he is the character on my NF character sheet.  

I've never really connected with the name of any D&D character I've had, although I love the game.  When the kiddos are a little older, I'm planning regular family D&D sessions.  

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I began this account as Lord Helix, which was a random nickname from Pokemon. 

With time, i started feeling a bit more humble, down-to-earth and kinda shitty, so the name Helix The Peasant started to feel more close to me. 
I even role-played the whole change as a transition during a few challenges. The picture of a typical villager fits the atmosphere. 

• Like 1

Vegan Bum Adventurer on a bike.

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Current

On 9/2/2017 at 10:39 AM, Adventuresarah said:

I used to do adventure races, so I came up with the name adventuresarah. I don't do them anymore, but I still like the name. 

What stopped you? 

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Well mine is from the first MMORPG I played (must've been 10 years ago or so), I created an archer and needed a name. I like lightning and an archer shoots arrows, so Shockshot seemed fitting.

A friend of mine actually liked the name so much, he "stole" it - so when you ever meet a Shockshot somewhere, it could either be him or me. ^^ Or whoever thought of that name as well, though I never have problems registering anywhere with that name except for websites he uses as well... So when I get that "username already taken" message, I ask him if that's him and usually the answer is yes. Kind of annoying.

Level 2

Human

Assassin/Monk

[Battle Log]

1 hour ago, Adventuresarah said:

I wanted to get really serious about mountain biking, so I cut out the kayaking and running.

Sounds like you just focus on mountain biking adventures

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler