The story behind your username

3 hours ago, Red1263 said:

You've got to be the only nerd I've heard of that said that you fell in love with Gollum.

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

Maybe I should have clarified that when I say I fell in love, I mean in the way I think he's adorable and needs a hug. Just like Skull Kid. :beguiled:

• Like 1

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome

Maybe I should have clarified that when I say I fell in love, I mean in the way I think he's adorable and needs a hug. Just like Skull Kid. :beguiled:

Ha ha ha! I take it that you have a heart for the broken and the lonely ones.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

21 hours ago, Trixie Falsae said:

I fell in love with Gollum when I watched Lord of Rings. He is precious to me. For years I referred to everything as being "tricky false-y" and was known to accuse people of being a tricksy false-y hobbitses. After a major life change I retired my old online handle and became Trixie Falsae online.

My "precious" little girl (pet rat) is called Trixieso I always think of her when I read your username.  She's bald so actually looks a bit like Gollum too, lol!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I really like Dragon Age :P

Okay, it's a bit more indepth than that.  I've dealt with more than a few injuries over the last decade and a bit, mostly my own fault from doing too much too soon.  Whenever I was laid up, Dragon Age became an escape from my reality.  I fell in love with the Dalish and their nomadic lifestyle, and their standoffish attitude kinda resonated with my cynical introversion.  So being 'Dalish' kinda became an internal promise to myself that just stuck.

I was honestly surprised I got the name, I thought it'd be taken already.

• Like 5

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

Oh I love this thread @Guzzi <3 thanks for starting a new one!!!

So when I first started here I just used my actual name, and was asking questions about how to get over gym fear. Once I got into lifting and was here for awhile, I decided I needed an empowering name to help my journey of finding strength. I'm a Minecraft junkie, and redstone is a difficult to find element that is basically the main power source for building machines and things, kind of like electricity. To get it, you have to dig deep down in the mines, just like I felt I was doing by looking inside myself for the strength I was seeking, both physically and in the courage department. So RedStone pretty much = my power source :D 

• Like 8
Oh I love this thread @Guzzi 

So when I first started here I just used my actual name, and was asking questions about how to get over gym fear. Once I got into lifting and was here for awhile, I decided I needed an empowering name to help my journey of finding strength. I'm a Minecraft junkie, and redstone is a difficult to find element that is basically the main power source for building machines and things, kind of like electricity. To get it, you have to dig deep down in the mines, just like I felt I was doing by looking inside myself for the strength I was seeking, both physically and in the courage department. So RedStone pretty much = my power source [emoji3] 

This. Excessively inspirational. Mine was also from a game, but the initial reason for it was to "Rise from the ashes" of a past that had threatened to tear me apart. I love your origin story!

• Like 1

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

7 hours ago, RedStone said:

Oh I love this thread @Guzzi <3 thanks for starting a new one!!!

So when I first started here I just used my actual name, and was asking questions about how to get over gym fear. Once I got into lifting and was here for awhile, I decided I needed an empowering name to help my journey of finding strength. I'm a Minecraft junkie, and redstone is a difficult to find element that is basically the main power source for building machines and things, kind of like electricity. To get it, you have to dig deep down in the mines, just like I felt I was doing by looking inside myself for the strength I was seeking, both physically and in the courage department. So RedStone pretty much = my power source :D 

2 hours ago, Fenyx said:

This. Excessively inspirational. Mine was also from a game, but the initial reason for it was to "Rise from the ashes" of a past that had threatened to tear me apart. I love your origin story!

^wot she said. :D 

I love the connection between your username and your personal journey, it's exactly why I (re)started this thread.  It's so interesting to read the backstory and get a glimpse into people's character. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

3 hours ago, Fenyx said:

That's familiar!!! I have many totems... one of my oldest is a phoenix ;) Beautiful.

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

^wot she said. :D 

I love the connection between your username and your personal journey, it's exactly why I (re)started this thread.  It's so interesting to read the backstory and get a glimpse into people's character. 

You guys are awesome :D <3 I love the idea that we get to give ourselves these names... words can have so much gravity and I know it's been important for me to swap out words when talking about myself to try to make a negative a positive, and I've definitely heard of nerds overcoming major sea changes in their lives and doing a name change along with them. It's a beautiful thing to be able to write your own inspiration and destinies AND I LOVE ITTTTTTT :P:P:P 

• Like 1

Well Ollie is my name, so that part needs no explanation.

Brobarian... well the whole bro culture thing amuses me a bit. But mostly I've been on a big Conan the Barbarian kick lately. I do feel like the way the character is written is a little closer to where I want to be. Stoic and direct. An (mostly) honest brute. True to his nature. I suppose it's to act as a reminder of "my character."

• Like 4

Mine is based on a song I made up to sing whilst walking. I like the sound of it enough that it was the first thing I thought of when I hit these forums. I'm also prone to using bits of it as challenge post titles because... reasons. ;)

Spoiler

There’s a light in the limbs of the old oak tree,
Where they hung the mutineer Jones.
There’s a light in the limbs where none should be,
And a rattle of unquiet bones.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!
Bones lie buried in Herington Hill!

The sun burnt red when he went to sea,
An omen as dark as the night.
The sun burnt red and the winds blew free,
As he followed them into the light.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

And when he returned on the wind and the wave,
Alone on the deck of the Spry
And when he returned it was straight to the grave,
In Herington Hill he resides.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

Not a word did he speak, from the ship to the tree,
Those fleeting last moments of life,
Not a word did he speak, nor did offer a plea,
For the care and support of his wife.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

She watched him rise and she watched him fall,
At the hands of family and friends,
She watched him rise and she watched him fall,
And she vowed she would have her revenge.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

They laid him down in a pauper’s grave,
And covered him deep with stones.
They laid him down, but he won’t stay laid,
Because of the widow Jones.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

She called him back from the shadowed lands,
Where the spirits of murderers roam.
She called him back and she took his hand,
And they walked out into the foam.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

And the town that was by the edge of the sea,
Lies empty it’s denizens fled.
And the town that was will nevermore be,
For it harbors the wrath of the dead.

Bones lie quiet!
Bones lie still!

There’s a light in the limbs of the old oak tree,
Where they hung the mutineer Jones.
There’s a light in the limbs where none should be,
And a rattle of unquiet bones.

• Like 5

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

Old school SNES game called Arcana.  For some reason, the game really caught on with me.  I think it was the first RPG I ever played so that could be a big reason.  Rooks was the main character.  Oddly enough, I actually liked the character named Darwin more, but whenever I use that name people assume I'm a big fan of Charles Darwin (I'll state that I'm neither a fan or a hater of him), plus Darwin was taken on a lot of forums and such.  I eventually switched to Rooks on most of my forums / logins.  

• Like 4
13 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Mine is based on a song I made up to sing whilst walking. I like the sound of it enough that it was the first thing I thought of when I hit these forums. I'm also prone to using bits of it as challenge post titles because... reasons. ;)

That's a great song!

• Like 1

Mine is based on Arkham Asylum from the Batman series. It's kind of been my go to username on like every site for my entire life because it encompasses my love for Batman and all his villains in one simple word.

On sites where Arkham is taken, I usually go by ArkhamHorror, so it's anyone's guess whether I'm referring to Batman or Cthulu at that point. lol

• Like 4

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

20 hours ago, Machete said:

it came from a '90s erotic movie, rather than the Danny Trejo character.

OMG DUDE I'M DYING :D:D:D 

• Like 1
Mine is based on Arkham Asylum from the Batman series. It's kind of been my go to username on like every site for my entire life because it encompasses my love for Batman and all his villains in one simple word.

On sites where Arkham is taken, I usually go by ArkhamHorror, so it's anyone's guess whether I'm referring to Batman or Cthulu at that point. lol

I LOVE the Arkham series! I like you already! Although I haven't played Arkham Origins yet...

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

43 minutes ago, Red1263 said:

I LOVE the Arkham series! I like you already! Although I haven't played Arkham Origins yet...

Yes! They're awesome! Honestly, I have to catch up on that series too. I wish I'd played them all already, but life gets in the way. ;c

Eventually I'll get around to it though! haha

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

Yes! They're awesome! Honestly, I have to catch up on that series too. I wish I'd played them all already, but life gets in the way. ;c

Eventually I'll get around to it though! haha

I'll admit I'm not too fond of people being permanently dead in the batman lore, I'll love how these guys tell the story.

And those Riddler challenges! Gah! They wreck my brain! >.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

'Rostov' is the name of one of the families in Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' and also the name of at least two towns in Russia, which is probably not a coincidence. Can't remember anything about the characters, but I liked the name. Think I first used it for a D&D character in a campaign many years ago and I've used it for various forums, in other RPG campaigns, and in some MMORPGs. I've got about five or six of these kinds of names that I've picked up from one place or another over the years, and when I can't be bothered to think of something new or original, I tend to go back to my list and pick one out.

• Like 3

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

'Rostov' is the name of one of the families in Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' and also the name of at least two towns in Russia, which is probably not a coincidence. Can't remember anything about the characters, but I liked the name. Think I first used it for a D&D character in a campaign many years ago and I've used it for various forums, in other RPG campaigns, and in some MMORPGs. I've got about five or six of these kinds of names that I've picked up from one place or another over the years, and when I can't be bothered to think of something new or original, I tend to go back to my list and pick one out.

War and Peace is on my Reading To-Do list. How is it?

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Red1263 said:

War and Peace is on my Reading To-Do list. How is it?

I read it partly because it was the go-to reference for a long book and partly because I was interested in literature from other countries. I can't remember very much about it, to be honest, but I remember being struck by how different a country and a time it was. The effect and role of religion (Russian orthodox v. Catholicism) in society was very striking, and remember being struck by the fact that it was illegal (and considered incestuous) for a man to marry his sister-in-law's sister, or a woman to marry her brother-in-law's brother. Two siblings can't marry two siblings, if that makes sense, and that's a major plot point. But I really remember very little else - other than being disappointed by the ending, which (no spoilers) turns from being a novel into being an essay about history and historiography, arguing a case that was perhaps controversial at the time but is now widely accepted. As a reader you get the impression from the number of pages left that there's more to come, but actually that's it....

I've read a bit of Russian literature... Crime and Punishment, a few short stories, Cancer Ward (Alexander Solzhenitsyn), heard a few Chekov radio plays and seen Gogol's 'The Government Inspector' performed. I'd probably recommend Crime and Punishment above War and Peace, but they're very different books.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Haikoo began in my EQ2 days. It started with my love of words and poetry. I had a series of alts that were all named after various types of poetry and poetry related words. Haikoo was the first. I just randomly decided I wanted to spell it Haikoo instead of Haiku  and it stuck :D It became my main for SWTOR and also my main handle on everything after. Nerd Fitness sealed the deal. I basically just BECAME Koo. Nerds even call me that in person.  It's been so many years now, I don't think I could ever change it.

• Like 4

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge