• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Voider

Noob advice for liver please

Hey all,

So i'm sorry in advance if this has been covered before but I had a scout around and didn't see anything :D 

I am VERY new to paleo and I have read a lot about liver being fine and highly endorsed (in moderation) from some blogs and less excitement from others, I could only find chicken livers locally so far, cooked some up and enjoyed it well enough.

My question is what are the thoughts of you guys? How much and how often is normal, safe, healthy etc. for liver? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks! :D 

Growing up in the UK, lamb's liver, bacon and onion gravy was a pretty regular meal for us.  I've never heard anything about it being unsafe in high quantities?  I mean, moderation and all that, but I'm pretty sure we'd have liver once or twice a week without any problems.

Never had chicken liver, I don't know if there's all that much difference on the health spectrum between the two.

• Like 1

Liver is very rich in vitamin A, which can cause liver damage and bone loss if taken in (way!) too high quantity.  I believe chicken liver contains the least vitamin A.

Full disclosure: I know this because I fed my ferrets offal and regulated their liver intake for just those reasons :D

I'm also from France, we like our chicken liver.

• Like 1

Apart from polar bear liver (which I'm sure you're not eating) and a couple of other not-usually-used-for-food species such as huskies, you'd have to eat an inordinate amount to poison yourself so I wouldn't worry too much.

Beef liver is usually easy enough to find and is particularly good when cooked with onions and mushrooms.

• Like 2