• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Mark D

Overheard In The Gym

Recommended Posts

A couple weeks ago I was in the gym, doing my squats in the squat rack (because someone was using the one and only power-rack).  During my warm-ups the guy in the rack asked me if I needed a spot, I told him I didn't because I was on a deload, so I knew I could handle the weight.  Besides, squat rack.  He replied that he NEVER deloads.  I asked him how old he is, he replied "24".  I said to talk to me in 30 years (I'm 53), he'll be deloading.

 

Then during my work set he comes over and says to me "Dude, you got this, crush that weight, make it your BITCH".  I asked him not to talk to me during a set, it distracts me and I prefer to stay focused. 

 

The three most annoying people in the gym, the bro who curls in the power rack, the naked old man in the locker room who stands next to you and talks to you while you're sitting (putting his business in your face), and the guy who insists upon talking to you during a set.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who talks to people during their set? Has the world gone mad? 

 

I won't even go up to the paper towel and spray, that is near the squat rack, if the person is in the middle of a set, lest I disrupt their concentration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of similar to Mark D's unwanted mid-set encourager, I've had people play the unannounced uninvited spotter when I was doing dumbbell bench press before. Damn near dropped them because I wasn't expecting to be molested mid-set. If it was a bar crushing my neck I'd be grateful, but dumbbells? Nah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm usually one of the first few people to use the free weights area in the morning, and it's often messy from the previous night.  Towels everywhere, plates on the bar or the ground etc.   This one guy has taken it upon itself to tidy the place up.  Great.  But he will go right between the wall and the rack I am using, during my set, to pick up a couple of plates which I actually didn't move because I'll need them later on.  So not only is he disrupting my concentration, but I have to run after him to get the plates back.

 

Now it just bugs me to see him in the mirror walking all over the place moving things because I'm constantly worried about him coming too close or taking things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"Still using those."

Guy continues to approach.

"I'm not done with those yet, thanks."

Guy is still heading your way.

"We're good here, thanks!"

Guy walks past you, bends over to pick up plates

"HEY BUDDY! I'M STILL USING THOSE, LEAVE 'EM ALONE!!!"

Guy pulls out headphones, complains to management.

 

Edit: i keep trying to fix the spacing, $&?!ing tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 1:39 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Who talks to people during their set? Has the world gone mad? 

 

I won't even go up to the paper towel and spray, that is near the squat rack, if the person is in the middle of a set, lest I disrupt their concentration. 

 

 

Indeed, I stay FAR away from people mid-set.  I won't even change my weight plates if the person in the rack next to me is doing their set, because the racks are pretty close together and it's too easy to interfere with the moving barbell when you're between them, or even just to distract them because they know how close you must be to the end of the bar.

 

I also had someone (who actually WORKS at the gym) bump my barbell with a stability ball as she walked past carrying it, while I was bench pressing.  I nearly went off on her, the VAST majority of serious injuries in the gym happen on bench press, where the weighted bar is, you know, OVER YOUR CHEST AND THROAT.  She didn't hit it HARD, but enough that I knew she'd done it.  I was NOT happy that morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a more humorous note, I was listening to an episode of 99 Percent Invisible when they said "pencil is from the Latin for feather or tail, which is also where we get the word penis"...I had 300+# on my hands for a front squat when I heard that.  I put it back on the rack because I was laughing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year sometime our town got invaded my the army who were running urban exercises. Apparently a good number of them are SNAP fitness members in other cities (you can apparently use any snap fitness centre in the world once you're a member of one gym) because they all came in and bothered us. 

 

Anyway, my wife was squatting around 100kg at the time, and one of these army invaders decided to TAKE A PLATE OFF HER BAR BETWEEN SETS. When she chided him over it, his response was "but you're a girl, you won't use it anyway". She apparently actually growled at him to make him back off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Last year sometime our town got invaded my the army who were running urban exercises. Apparently a good number of them are SNAP fitness members in other cities (you can apparently use any snap fitness centre in the world once you're a member of one gym) because they all came in and bothered us. 

 

Anyway, my wife was squatting around 100kg at the time, and one of these army invaders decided to TAKE A PLATE OFF HER BAR BETWEEN SETS. When she chided him over it, his response was "but you're a girl, you won't use it anyway". She apparently actually growled at him to make him back off. 

 

I would have beat him with the plate.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

 

I would have beat him with the plate.

 

Yeah, just growling seems like letting the person off too easy for having insulted half the human population. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but needed to vent. People taking weights without asking are the bane of my life. Monday it happened 4 times on an hour. By the 3rd time if had enough of being polite and snapped. I was still in my warm up sets and he comes over and takes a plate I'm going to be using in about 30 seconds.

 

"I'm using that".

 

Quizzical look. "There's one over there".

 

"Then you use it. I'm using this one" 

 

More quizzical looks. "I didn't know".

 

"That's because you didn't ask!"

 

Still a look of confusion on this lads face, like the concept of asking is entirely alien to him.

 

15 minutes later someone else takes a 10 literally as I'm loading another 10 onto the bar! Same "I didn't know/you didn't ask" conversation ensued. Nevermind the Hulk, I almost went Malcolm Tucker on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spaceman! said:

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but needed to vent. People taking weights without asking are the bane of my life. Monday it happened 4 times on an hour. By the 3rd time if had enough of being polite and snapped. I was still in my warm up sets and he comes over and takes a plate I'm going to be using in about 30 seconds.

 

"I'm using that".

 

Quizzical look. "There's one over there".

 

"Then you use it. I'm using this one" 

 

More quizzical looks. "I didn't know".

 

"That's because you didn't ask!"

 

Still a look of confusion on this lads face, like the concept of asking is entirely alien to him.

 

15 minutes later someone else takes a 10 literally as I'm loading another 10 onto the bar! Same "I didn't know/you didn't ask" conversation ensued. Nevermind the Hulk, I almost went Malcolm Tucker on him.

 

It is amazing how many people don't know what asking is. My similar experience to this was a guy going to set up inside the squat rack, with me standing in front of the rack, with weight already on the bar, with my bag sitting in the middle of the rack (effectively ALL the signs that someone is using that rack). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have yet to have someone "accidentally" take over something I'm using at my current gym. The majority of the native free weights population seems to be considerate and prefer to be entirely left alone, which I appreciate.

 

With the exception of the weird guy who did very exaggerated shoulder fly sets while grunting loudly , right in front of the dumbbell rack. After his first set he leaned his hip against the preacher curl bench and flex his arms, while giving admiring stares to his own biceps. After his second set, he flex his arms more emphatically, and kept glancing over at the nearest female to make sure she noticed how buff he is.

 

Unfortunately, that was me. I was trying to do an incline chest press with dumbbells, and this guy was distracting, but more importantly, he made my inner Creep-o-meter go to full Red Alert. I don't think those were my pectorals he was staring at... 

 

I didn't bother finishing my set. I got up, put the weights back and took my things to a chest press bench in the opposite corner of the gym. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I have yet to have someone "accidentally" take over something I'm using at my current gym. The majority of the native free weights population seems to be considerate and prefer to be entirely left alone, which I appreciate.

 

With the exception of the weird guy who did very exaggerated shoulder fly sets while grunting loudly , right in front of the dumbbell rack. After his first set he leaned his hip against the preacher curl bench and flex his arms, while giving admiring stares to his own biceps. After his second set, he flex his arms more emphatically, and kept glancing over at the nearest female to make sure she noticed how buff he is.

 

Unfortunately, that was me. I was trying to do an incline chest press with dumbbells, and this guy was distracting, but more importantly, he made my inner Creep-o-meter go to full Red Alert. I don't think those were my pectorals he was staring at... 

 

I didn't bother finishing my set. I got up, put the weights back and took my things to a chest press bench in the opposite corner of the gym. 

 

Talk to the gym staff about it.  If he's doing it to you, he's doing it to all the ladies, and if all the ladies are creeped out, then they stop going and paying dues, and then the gym makes no money...  so gym staff know that kicking out 1 bad seed will be better for them in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to report him, if I see him again, for just the reasons you mentioned. After I finished my workout that day he completely slipped my mind until now. (As you can tell, he didn't creep me out very much once I was no longer next to him.)

 

I normally go to the gym later in the evenings, and if you've ever been to a gym around 9:00 PM or later, you've probably noticed that the later time tends to attract the kinds of people who really want to be left alone with their workout. So we leave others alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

At the gym right now. As I type this, some poor misguided idiot is doing barbell curls in the squat rack. 

 

I thought that was an urban legend. 

Nope! Those people are real.Just look for  'curls in the squat rack' on google images, you'll find plenty of photo evidence.

 

Curl bros tend to look like this:

Related image

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

Wait, so it's not leg day even if you curl in the rack? Shiiiiit.

 

Just leave your working squat weight on the bar.  It's my curls weight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Br0din said:

 

Just leave your working squat weight on the bar.  It's my curls weight!

 

I have my new lifting goal. Become strong enough to squat a weight Bro0din can't curl! :devilish:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back to the gym last night after an 18 month lay-off.  It's a good gym, plenty of free-weights and room and round the corner from my accommodation (I work away from home) and people in the main seem cool.

 

To get back into things I just did an active warm-up (Steve's!) and then did barbell complexes with the olympic bar.  

 

As I'm walking back to the corner where the bars are stored, which is next to the dumbbell rack, some bloke sees me in the mirror carrying the bar (even makes eye-contact) continues to walk to the dumbbells, picks up a pair and starts knocking out curls RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE I OBVIOUSLY HAVE TO PUT THE BAR.

 

Normally I give people a ton of room when they're working out but I'll be damned before I was going to this time.  Practically knocked him out the way putting it back.

 

I can almost understand wanting to grab some dumbbells quickly, instead of waiting like 30 seconds, but to not move away - Dude, there's 20 metres of space to your left.  MOOOOOVEEEE!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now