• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mark D

Overheard In The Gym

On 1/13/2019 at 7:02 PM, scalyfreak said:

I know, this is an old thread and I apologize for bumping it. However, now that I have completely calmed down and moved on from this conversation I want to share it, as a cautionary tale on what not to say to a female stranger in the gym locker room.

Spoiler because someone said something about my physical appearance that is not a positive thing to say, and because I wasn't very nice to them in return.

Reveal hidden contents

I, Just. Wow. No words.

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I, Just. Wow. No words.

I am still mind-blown about how she thought that was okay.

I have decided to make this my new low mark for gym visits. No matter how bad they get, at least they won't be this bad...

On 1/14/2019 at 3:02 AM, scalyfreak said:

Hide contents

My relaxing unwinding time was interrupted by a cheerfully happy lady, who asked me when my baby was due?

This is why we need a “mad-as-Hell” button, “sad” and “confused” just don’t quite cut it. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2017 at 5:38 PM, Basement Cat said:

Nope! Those people are real.Just look for  'curls in the squat rack' on google images, you'll find plenty of photo evidence.

Curl bros tend to look like this:

Related image

Image result for curls in the squat rack

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bumping this again.

A few months ago, when I WAS 3-4 months pregnant (and therefore a hormonal rage monster), I overheard a guy say to the slightly-built young woman he was climbing with an trying to impress, that most women should only weigh about 120 lbs. That 140 was like "Mississippi fat" or something (insert your southern slur here). Now then. I was packing up and feeling very fatigued. Very. And I clock about 135-140 non-pregnant and that particular day was probably barely over 140 (1st trimester gave me no appetite and had my face looking real bony). I literally turned around and had to hold myself back from assaulting  this guy. There was some angry crying when I met my husband outside. The sheer ignorance of women's strength and body types was amazing. And then there were my hormones. He got lucky.

The flip side of that is that these days, if I ask to open the window or something while powerlifting in the weight room no. one. will mess with me. The baby bump + barbell combo scares the hell out of people.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

The baby bump + barbell combo scares the hell out of people.

I bet! Are you planning to combine the barbell with a baby carrier once the baby bump is a thing of the past?

Also, fuck that guy. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that my skeleton and my vital organs, including my skin and the mammary glands on the front of my chest, combine to weigh more than 120 lbs.

41 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

A few months ago, when I WAS 3-4 months pregnant (and therefore a hormonal rage monster), I overheard a guy say to the slightly-built young woman he was climbing with an trying to impress, that most women should only weigh about 120 lbs. That 140 was like "Mississippi fat" or something (insert your southern slur here).

What an unmitigated wanker. Yes, all women, regardless of whether they're 5'1" or 5'11", marathon runners or powerlifters, 18 years or 55, regardless of genetics or the size of their frames,  should weigh 120lb. For the personal viewing pleasure of some random male who  gets to live in his body without becoming a public display open for public commentary by shallow, self-interested people who give zero shits about his wellbeing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Harriet said:

What an unmitigated wanker. Yes, all women, regardless of whether they're 5'1" or 5'11", marathon runners or powerlifters, 18 years or 55, regardless of genetics or the size of their frames,  should weigh 120lb. For the personal viewing pleasure of some random male who  gets to live in his body without becoming a public display open for public commentary by shallow, self-interested people who give zero shits about his wellbeing. 

No, no, don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel...! :P 

I  feel a little bad for the young woman he was trying to impress though. I hope she didn't take those words to heart! :unsure:

• Like 2

She was of a pretty petite build. The reason it came up in the first place was they were discussing the use of sand bags for anchoring light belayers.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, scalyfreak said:

the barbell with a baby carrier once the baby bump is a thing of the past

We shall see! We definitely have people plunk the car seat on the floor in the climbing gym, or have them in a carrier while belaying a top-rope climber. I think I'm going to enjoy being able to sweat and cool off more effectively while lifting, so the car seat sounds better in the weight room than the carrier. And I wouldn't belay a lead climber with a baby on me - to much opportunity for shocking or jostling. But our gym (if not that particular idiot client) has been super welcoming of me and my pregnancy. Just yesterday I had a long chat with one of the guys who builds real cross-training programs for climbers and coaches clients in the weight room - it was a really pleasant, nerdy discussion. No a single person who actually works there has been anything but stoked to see that I'm still doing stuff. (Although I did have to stop climbing at 33.5-ish weeks because the harness I was using stopped agreeing with me. So it's just been lifting from there out.)