• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

What are some workout add ons that you guys think are a necessity for your martial art. From basic to advanced I want to put a list together of the things all monks think are important. This means anything you think overall for any martial art, or any that are specific to your style. Like upper and lower body condidtioning(locations and reasoning), Stretches (type and reasoning). It doesn't need to be long drawn out explanations but I'm a curious person. Thank you for your time!

Thanks Peeps!,

GodzillaofTokyo

Stance training.  If I were asked to recommend one thing to make any martial artists better, stance training.  Each style will be different on the stances, but training them is essential.  When you can sit in a horse stance for an hour, then you will have accomplished something.  Develops root, stability, balance, centeredness, leg strength, core strength, flexibility in the hips/kwa, focus, will, etc.  It will improve every aspect of your art.  Legs make everything else work.

i'm a judo/bjj guy with the odd training session in muay thai. So not really martial arts in the traditional sense but more sport-like I suppose. That said, strength and conditioning requirements tend to carry over really well across many endeavours, including normal day to day living.

Bodyweight only stuff: Pullups and chin-ups (pulling strength). Pushups, different types, eg. wide, narrow, staggered (pushing strength). Planks front, side (isometric core strength). Hips bridges (this is where all the power comes from so...). Squats and/or Lunges: do them explosively once in a while, experiment with different protocols. (again, the big muscles do the big work). Loads of burpees or Jumping jacks for the cardio if there is a requirement for that. 

5 hours ago, godjira1 said:

i'm a judo/bjj guy with the odd training session in muay thai. So not really martial arts in the traditional sense but more sport-like I suppose.

Just because it is not traditional, does not mean it is not an art :-)  and don't let guys like me tell you any differently.  

One of the things traditional styles will use for conditioning is weapons.  An hour with an 25lb Kwan Dao is serious workout.  Even a 4lb sword requires good fitness to use correctly (ask Tom Cruise about filming The Last Samurai!!).  Also, traditional styles used weightlifting (often oddly shaped stones or other heavy objects lifted in particular ways), weighted clubs, etc, etc. as well as holding postures for extended lengths of time (min to hours) and dynamic exercises (Forms, bodyweight exercises) to develop the body to be able to use they style correctly.  Sometimes, health took second place to ability, as some of these arts are designed to get young soldiers ready for the battlefield.  In more recent history, the black belt was often the point at which the body was conditioned enough to be able to learn (2-5 years of training). 

For the most part, modern training techniques have become more focused on general fitness and health (as long as you stay away from the extremes or professional fighting) and are as good or better than most "traditional" techniques.  Science is your friend in this.  If you are following a "traditional" path, pay attention to what you are trying to accomplish, because you probably will :-).  What you are doing might not be the best thing for you (I am thinking about a friend who studied in Okinawa and can punch through stone, but has serious arthritis in his hands because of the training) 

For fitness, look at the old guys (60, 70, 80 yrs old) in the style, are they healthy and happy?