• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

deftona

Deffy Eats Her Way Around The World - Deffy's Recipe Book

deftona   

Hello! Those who don't know me, I am Deffy and I want to cook and eat an authentic dish from every country in the world. This is actually a project I started a couple of years ago but I kept all the recipes on my laptop and my laptop died and I think you know where I am going with this. I have tried to make this a blog a couple of times and I just cannot be arsed and the blog falls into decay but for some reason I can keep up with all my Nerd Fitness stuff so it makes sense to do this on here instead. 

The Rules: 

I will be cooking the dishes on a Wednesday where possible because why would I miss that sort of alliteration? So on World Food Wednesday (glorious) I will pick a country at random, research the culinary influences and try to make a dish as authentically as possible using ingredients that can be sourced in England and adapted to my own needs and abilities. The list of countries has been populated from Wikipedia and by a country, I mean a sovereign state and member of the UN in it's own right (Yo Pointless fans). I am not trying to wade into any political debates here, it's just a bit of fun. There are 195 countries on the list - 193  UN member states and 2 observer states. I have already cooked some dishes from some of these countries because I have done this before and I think I completed about 30 countries but just so it is all together, I am going to do them all again. The country will be picked at random using a random number generator and I have to try to make something that I haven't eaten before, or I haven't made myself yet. 

The Country List

1. Afghanistan
  2. Albania
  3. Algeria
  4. Andorra
  5. Angola
  6. Antigua and Barbuda
  7. Argentina
  8. Armenia
  9. Australia
  10. Austria
  11. Azerbaijan
  12. The Bahamas
  13. Bahrain
  14. Bangladesh
  15. Barbados
  16. Belarus
  17. Belgium
  18. Belize
  19. Benin
  20. Bhutan
  21. Bolivia
  22. Bosnia & Herzegovina
  23. Botswana
  24. Brazil
  25. Brunei
  26. Bulgaria
  27. Burkina Faso
  28. Burundi
  29. Cambodia
  30. Cameroon
  31. Canada
  32. Cape Verde
  33. Central African Republic
  34. Chad
  35. Chile
  36. China
  37. Colombia
  38. Comoros
  39. DR Congo
  40. Congo
  41. Costa Rica
  42. Croatia
  43. Cuba
  44. Cyprus
  45. Czech Republic
  46. Denmark
  47. Djibouti
  48. Dominica
  49. Dominican Republic
  50. East Timor
  51. Ecuador
  52. Egypt
  53. El Salvador
  54. Equatorial Guinea
  55. Eritrea
  56. Estonia
  57. Ethiopia
  58. Fiji
  59. Finland
  60. France
  61. Gabon
  62. The Gambia
  63. Georgia
  64. Germany
  65. Ghana
  66. Greece
  67. Grenada
  68. Guatemala
  69. Guinea
  70. Guinea Bissau
  71. Guyana
  72. Haiti
  73. Honduras
  74. Hungary
  75. Iceland
  76. India
  77. Indonesia
  78. Iran
  79. Iraq
  80. Ireland
  81. Israel
  82. Italy
  83. Ivory Coast
  84. Jamaica
  85. Japan
  86. Jordan
  87. Kazakhstan
  88. Kenya
  89. Kiribati
  90. North Korea
  91. South Korea
  92. Kuwait
  93. Kyrgyzstan
  94. Laos
  95. Latvia
  96. Lebanon
  97. Lesotho
  98. Liberia
  99. Libya
  100. Liechtenstein
  101. Lithuania
  102. Luxembourg
  103. Macedonia
  104. Madagascar
  105. Malawi
  106. Malaysia
  107. Maldives
  108. Mali
  109. Malta
  110. Marshall Islands
  111. Mauritania
  112. Mauritius
  113. Mexico
  114. Micronesia
  115. Moldova
  116. Moldova
  117. Monaco
  118. Mongolia
  119. Montenegro
  120. Morocco
  121. Mozambique
  122. Myanmar
  123. Namibia
  124. Nauru
  125. Nepal
  126. Netherlands
  127. New Zealand
  128. Nicaragua
  129. Niger
  130. Nigeria
  131. Norway
  132. Oman
  133. Pakistan
  134. Palau
  135. Palestine
  136. Panama
  137. Papua New Guinea
  138. Paraguay
  139. Peru
  140. Philippines
  141. Poland
  142. Portugal
  143. Qatar
  144. Romania
  145. Russia
  146. Rwanda
  147. Saint Kitts and Nevis
  148. Saint Lucia
  149. Saint Vincent and The Grenadines
  150. Samoa
  151. San Marino
  152. Sao Tome and Principe
  153. Saudi Arabia
  154. Senegal
  155. Serbia
  156. Seychelles
  157. Sierra Leone
  158. Singapore
  159. Slovakia
  160. Slovenia
  161. Solomon Islands
  162. Somalia
  163. South Africa
  164. South Sudan
  165. Spain
  166. Sri Lanka
  167. Sudan
  168. Suriname
  169. Swaziland
  170. Sweden 
  171. Switzerland
  172. Syria
  173. Tajikistan
  174. Tanzania
  175. Thailand
  176. Togo
  177. Tonga
  178. Trinidad and Tobago
  179. Tunisia
  180. Turkey
  181. Turkmenistan
  182. Tuvalu
  183. Uganda
  184. United Arab Emirates
  185. United Kingdom
  186. United States of America
  187. Uruguay
  188. Uzbekistan
  189. Vanuatu
  190. Vatican City
  191. Venezuela
  192. Vietnam
  193. Yemen
  194. Zambia
  195. Zimbabwe

tumblr_nokdne7zKr1uncbwko1_400.gif

• Like 8

deftona   
Just now, LadyShello said:

I'm here to spectate.  

I haven't even publicised this yet! I think you must be following me ;) 

deftona   
1 minute ago, LadyShello said:

Mwahahahaha.  My phone notifications are different than the ones I get online.  It told me you were here.  

paranoid.gif

• Like 2

deftona   
1 minute ago, Terah said:

Such a cool challenge. 

Following

Well I guess I know how to find out who my stalkers are now :P 

• Like 2

deftona   

Week One - Djibouti

djibouti-flag.gif

djib-LMAP-md.png

For Djibouti I cooked Fah-fah (boiled beef soup) with Lahoh Sana'ani which is a cross between a flatbread and a sourdough pancake. I made a start on the Lahoh Sana'ani on Monday since the starter needed to ferment for three days. I began by mixing together plain (all purpose to those over the Atlantic) flour with wholewheat flour, water and yeast. I left it on the counter to ferment and it made my kitchen smell like beer which is always good. 

First I made the fah-fah with the following ingredients:

IMG_20170209_151625379_zps8pukqmip.jpg

And I began by browning the beef (1), then the vegetables (2) and then I added everything to my slow cooker (3), covered it with water, seasoned it and cooked it on high for four hours.

IMG_20170209_152429753_zpsjw36u6z7.jpgIMG_20170209_153134780_zpsdxjzvvtu.jpgIMG_20170209_153443551_zpshtxmzoze.jpg

Then I made a start on the Lahoh Sana'ani by combining the following ingredients (the liquid in the tub is the starter), working it into a dough and kneading it for 5 minutes. I then left it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes while I got a workout in :) 

IMG_20170209_154811821_zpsozypxqbz.jpgIMG_20170209_160008674_zpstxvqu85i.jpg

When it had risen, I combined 1/4 cup of plain flour and 3/4 cup of water and brought this mixture to a boil until most of the liquid had evaporated. I added this hot paste to the risen dough and mixed it in (1). I then added more hot water (2) and whisked it into a batter (3), then left the mixture to ferment for another 30 minutes and when I returned there were little bubbles all over the surface of the batter (4)

IMG_20170209_181606920_zpsccnwkxy0.jpgIMG_20170209_181726503_zpspxjr17rx.jpgIMG_20170209_182109131_zpspdojbgb8.jpgIMG_20170209_190054804_zpsqkeewfi2.jpg

I oiled a frying pan and cooked the Lahoh Sana'ani one at a time on one side only until the batter had cooked on the top. They looked like crumpets as they cooked but they tasted a little like beer - they were delicious. I served the pancakes with the soup and it was really good - the soup was nicely spicy and really warming. I read that lahoh sana'ani were good hot with honey on so I saved half of one and tried it like this. It was so tasty, I have one left over for my breakfast tomorrow morning. 

IMG_20170209_190823792_zps7g8oewl4.jpgIMG_20170209_192811343_zpsouspvnqj.jpg

The meal was really good and the recipe I was working off for the fah-fah was supposed to serve four so I halved it to serve 2 but there was still far too much for two of us. We have more for the freezer for another day and the meal came in at 230 calories for the bowl of fah-fah, with another 283 calories for two pancakes. 

The recipes were adapted from here and here.

Next week: Ireland! 

• Like 3

deftona   
2 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

I'll say that boiled beef soup does not sound appetizing at all.  But the pics make up for the name.  And I really want to try that bread. 

It doesn't sound great but it was full of flavour. It had chilli, garlic, onions, salt and pepper for seasoning and since I did it in the slow cooker the meat was so tender it just melted in my mouth. It was a light, brothy soup, probably more of a stew and it was bursting with freggies which is always a plus!

• Like 2

zenLara   
On 6/2/2017 at 5:42 PM, LadyShello said:

I'm here to spectate.  

I'm here to criticize her when she finally cooks a mixed paella, or worst, with chorizo :lol:

Def, I can see in the pictures you have a gas kitchen. I miss them so much. It is very difficult to find them now in spanish kitchens, everywhere there is this glass-ceramic thing. I don't mind what they say, they don't cook the same :( 

• Like 1

deftona   
1 hour ago, zenLara said:

I'm here to criticize her when she finally cooks a mixed paella, or worst, with chorizo :lol:

Def, I can see in the pictures you have a gas kitchen. I miss them so much. It is very difficult to find them now in spanish kitchens, everywhere there is this glass-ceramic thing. I don't mind what they say, they don't cook the same :( 

Like I would risk adding chorizo to paella! I'd never be able to show my face in Spain again!

And I do have a gas hob (but an electric oven) and although we had a gas one when I was younger I have had electric or convection hobs ever since so I was a bit wary of cooking with gas but I really love it, it does cook much better and it's good that I can char peppers right over the flame now. I don't think I would go back to electric or convection, gas all the way. It's against building regulations to have gas cookers in apartments or flats here so I am just glad I live in a house or I wouldn't have a choice in the matter.

• Like 2

zenLara   
5 hours ago, deftona said:

Like I would risk adding chorizo to paella! I'd never be able to show my face in Spain again!

omg, did he actually do that??!!! LMAO!! And if it was true spanish chorizo that must have ruined the whole thing! 

I'm not surprised about the death threats. I was born in the region where the paella originated and for some people there it is not a dish, it's a religion. In fact, there is a lot of resentment from the region to the rest of Spain, because they began to do this s*** that is mixed paella (paella mixta), and they rage against those that say they've prepared paella when in fact it is rice with vegetables and meat (now you will say: but isn't paella just rice with vegetables and meat? Never, ever, if you want to keep your life, ask that question to a valencian).

I must admit that I myself have been offered to eat paella somewhere outside the region and when I've looked at the thing I've said "oh, yes, sure, paella. I'm not touching that".

It was @Owlet who wanted to know fun facts about Spain? You've got one: there's a heartbreaking drama that divides Spain in two sides: the ones owning the secrets to the sacred paella, and the ones trying to intoxicate innocent tourists with their rice abominations.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, deftona said:

And I do have a gas hob (but an electric oven) and although we had a gas one when I was younger I have had electric or convection hobs ever since so I was a bit wary of cooking with gas but I really love it, it does cook much better and it's good that I can char peppers right over the flame now. I don't think I would go back to electric or convection, gas all the way. It's against building regulations to have gas cookers in apartments or flats here so I am just glad I live in a house or I wouldn't have a choice in the matter.

What I've learned today:

• hob = stove? 
  • paella is clearly not rice with vegetables and meat and I've likely never actually eaten paella but only rice abominations. 
  • Like 5

zenLara   
1 hour ago, Terah said:

I thought paella was yellow rice with left over sea food in it?

you're making little valencian angels cry

• Like 3

Owlet   
5 hours ago, zenLara said:

It was @Owlet who wanted to know fun facts about Spain? You've got one: there's a heartbreaking drama that divides Spain in two sides: the ones owning the secrets to the sacred paella, and the ones trying to intoxicate innocent tourists with their rice abominations.

giphy.gif

You weren't kidding about drama

• Like 3

deftona   
6 hours ago, zenLara said:

omg, did he actually do that??!!! LMAO!! And if it was true spanish chorizo that must have ruined the whole thing! 

I'm not surprised about the death threats. I was born in the region where the paella originated and for some people there it is not a dish, it's a religion. In fact, there is a lot of resentment from the region to the rest of Spain, because they began to do this s*** that is mixed paella (paella mixta), and they rage against those that say they've prepared paella when in fact it is rice with vegetables and meat (now you will say: but isn't paella just rice with vegetables and meat? Never, ever, if you want to keep your life, ask that question to a valencian).

I must admit that I myself have been offered to eat paella somewhere outside the region and when I've looked at the thing I've said "oh, yes, sure, paella. I'm not touching that".

When Spain comes out, I am going to wade into this hot debate all guns firing and ask you for a proper recipe for paella because I have never been to Valencia therefore I suspect I may have only had rice abominations too but I would very much like to try the real thing.

5 hours ago, LadyShello said:

What I've learned today:

• hob = stove? 
  • paella is clearly not rice with vegetables and meat and I've likely never actually eaten paella but only rice abominations. 

A hob is the top part of the cooker. Whether that's a stove or not, I have no idea!

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

FOLLOWING!!! I'm too late to be a stalker, but just in time to be a fangirl!

Also, that dish looks delicious!!! YUM

Welcome! And thanks, it was! 

1 hour ago, Rab397 said:

I WANT YOU TO MAKE SNERT

I have no idea what this is but okay :)

3 hours ago, Terah said:

I thought paella was yellow rice with left over sea food in it?

Damn. Shots fired ;)

• Like 2