Yet another newcomer...

Hello all.

I'm 33, and aside from a couple of weeks in my university days I've never been to a gym. They've never appealed. I've never been happy with my general fitness but I've never really known what to do about it, and gyms confuse me. Too many machines, no real instructions and everyone there already looking bulky and a little scary. Shy little me did well to last two weeks!

I've decided it's time to do something about my fitness. I could be a lot worse - I can run up a flight of stairs and merely breathe a little faster - but I lack endurance and my upper body strength isn't even enough to do a pull up. I know I can change that, but I need inspiration to keep going. Regular training doesn't seem to do anything for a long time and it's very easy to think "I'm too tired to bother tonight". And the next night. And after that you might as well give up, right?

So I've joined the rebellion. I need something to keep me focused. And, hopefully, to give me some advice. I know nothing about exercise regimes. I don't know a lift from a squat. I certainly don't know what I should be doing, how often, how many. Where do I start?

I could tell you a lot more about me - my dreams, my ambitions, my strange life - but all in good time, I think. Let's keep it simple for a first date.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

You've got me intrigued now. Can we have a second date? Tell me about your dreams and strange life!

But I guess first, I should have said "Welcome!" This is definitely a good place to run across. There are plenty of people around to help you get going and keep you motivated. When the next 6-week challenge rolls around, that should help too :)

As far as where to start, Steve has some free resources, among which are a few free workouts. Depending one what equipment/facilities you have available to you, you might start with the beginner body weight workout. If you're looking for something more, you could probably go with one of the guides for purchase in the NF Store.

Hope some of this helps. If you need more, feel free to ask!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

welcome! keep an eye out for the next 6 week challenge and set yourself some goals, its a great way to stay motivated! You'll get there with your pull-up! I'm almost at my first push up from zero upper body strength so its definitely do-able!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Equipment available - er, me. I have no fitness equipment of any kind. I'm guessing I can improvise something with weights until I have a routine in place, and I'm happy to invest in something if I'm going to use it.

My aims are fairly simple:

1. Lose the belly. I've never been more than a few pounds overweight but they seem to cluster there.

2. General fitness. I want to be able to make a light run last longer than a few minutes.

3. Upper body strength. My legs are pretty strong but I have weedy arms and shoulders.

My other main aim in life is to start my own business. Technically I've done this already - I provide a proofreading service to non-native English speakers, which provides me with a little extra pocket money - but I'm never going to get rich from that. I have some talent as a writer, and I want to make better use of that. I'm planning something in that direction too.

Will definitely look at the beginner workout - that sounds about my level!

Okay, so I've looked at the beginner workout. Thank you, Steve Kamb! I actually think this is achievable. I'll have to build up to the push-ups (could never do those!) but the rest... should be fine. Three circuits might be pushing it to start with though - I'll have to wait and see.

Okay, so I've looked at the beginner workout. Thank you, Steve Kamb! I actually think this is achievable. I'll have to build up to the push-ups (could never do those!) but the rest... should be fine. Three circuits might be pushing it to start with though - I'll have to wait and see.

Start with whatever you can. Some people just aim to complete one full circuit to begin with. I've never been good at push-ups either, but modifying them (from the knees or against stairs/furniture) definitely helps to get better at them :) Something I've learned in CrossFit is to never be afraid to modify - that mean's you're smart.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

What is CrossFit?

I am already planning to modify the push-ups and I'm not sure about the plank yet - my back may not thank me for it. I'll see how I go and do no more than I'm able to, but the aim is to build myself up. Being able to do push-ups is a big goal for me. And pull-ups.

CrossFit is... a strength and conditioning workout program. It's kind of a community/group things thing and the workouts are laid out for you. It's all the rage ;)

Push-ups and pull-ups are a real struggle for me too. Those are some of my goals also. There are also plank mods ;) Just make sure your strengthen your abs and back equally and you should be fine.

What is CrossFit?

I am already planning to modify the push-ups and I'm not sure about the plank yet - my back may not thank me for it. I'll see how I go and do no more than I'm able to, but the aim is to build myself up. Being able to do push-ups is a big goal for me. And pull-ups.

Actually, once you try it, I think you'll find that you engage your abs a lot more than you'd expect. It takes a lot of core strength to hold your body in a straight line. If you can do it parallel to a mirror you'll find it easier to see if you have good form.

I used to love push-ups. There was one glorious day when I did something like 65 of them in a minute and a half, but I was 22 and in the Army. Ah, the glory days.

I still like them, in theory. I'd like to be able to do them properly, but I need to work up to it, just like you will. Can't wait to hear how you do!

Just finished my first circuit and typed it up on my blog. Keeping a blog would be almost as astonishing an achievement for me as getting fit - I've never managed either for more than a short period before.

Can you view my blog from here?

Thanks, GoToTheGround - I'll take a peek at that next.