• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heidi

Heidi: Frost

frostD02162004B.jpg

|  Frost, or Isa, the Rune of Ice

Attention to small things gives us real results in large things.
This is my Why, and the Tao is my Way. The Rune Isa indicates stillness and reinforcement, a great theme for me this round.

I'm going with a 3x5 (+1) for this, three goals with five elements each plus one life goal.

1. Act (daily elements) - keeping in action to sustain the healthy foundation. Improvements are bonus, a happy accident of continued use over time.

1. Morning walk -- 20 minutes

2. Steam room and sauna meditation -- 20 minutes

3. Hydrate -- 2+ litres throughout the day

4. Sleep - 9p.m. to 5 a.m.

5. Journal

2. Connect (daily elements) -- nurture and be nurtured by my community

1. Meetings daily

2. Call Paula daily

3. Call Vivian daily

4. Friends group weekly

5. Monthly newsletter thought of the day

3. Sustain (weekly / monthly elements)- these are the things that keep me centered and whole, no matter what life throws at me. And trust me, life has a wicked curve ball these days.

1. Katrina - weekly therapy

2. Greg - weekly acupuncture

3. Sunday - weekly reset routine

4. Erin - monthly yoga therapy

5. Candy - monthly hair appointment

4. Freedom -- leveling up on financial freedom is a huge deal for a reason. It takes a lot of willpower over time, but it reaps long lasting rewards.

1. Assess the landscape -- so much has changed since October that it needs a thorough reevaluation (Week 0-1)

2. Plan (Week 2-3)

3. Execute (Week 4)

1. Weekly

2. Monthly

3. One-offs

Challenge Item

TOTAL

Week 0

2/05-2/11

Week 1

2/12-2/18

Week 2

2/19-2/25

Week 3

2/26-3/05

Week 4

3/6-3/12

Morning Walk

/35

Sauna meditation

/35

Shower and dress for the day

/35

Hydrate

/35

Sleep

/35

Journal

/35

Sunday reset routine

/5

Meeting

/35

Paula

/35

Vivian

/35

Friends

/5

Katrina

/5

Greg

/5

Candy

/1

Erin

/1

• Like 4

I missed the morning walk and gym trip, and spent the time with my feelings all in a knot, trying to make sense of my world. It's not always as easy and peaceful as we want it to be. By the time lunch rolled around, I was almost calm again.

Week 0, Day 1: Getting My Feet Under Me.

• Like 1

I am just about over myself now, and ready to go home.

Today I have applied for two different teaching positions for the evenings and weekends, and listened to the first half of the first week's lecture for the geography class. (Sorry, it's not available for posting -- it's really cool!!)

I've also set up a wholesale account with Frontier Natural Foods Co-op and done some research for what to offer in a brick-and-mortar location.

I contacted my local representative about an abandoned location on the nearby greenway, and hopefully I can see what is what about getting the right to purchase it for the community center with natural food store / local produce market.

I also worked nearly ten hours, so I'm pretty depleted.

I'm ready for a meeting followed by a sauna and then home to rest.

• Like 1

I made the morning walk and gym trip, mostly because we set the alarm 30 minutes earlier. In a moment of nostalgia, we hit the stationary bike for 20 minutes (4 miles for me) before a fifteen minute walk (I'm guessing a half-mile or so). I forgot how much I loved the bike -- it was my first introduction to cardio in Nov. 2012 and I missed it more than I realized. By the time I hit the sauna, I was feeling it, and that's the way it should be. All the rest of the day can spin apart -- I was centered by the time I was done with the shower.

I might go to acupuncture today, which is my usual schedule, but it's WayAcrossTown and cuts into my work schedule (which took a hit for time out to heal after court). Nonetheless, until I start doing it, it isn't going to get done. And the schedule will get managed -- it always does.

The women's meeting last night was just as healing as always, and it continues to be a real help during these times of emotional discomfort and anxiety. I have pretty much got my meetings down to a routine again, which makes a big difference in my world (Mon, Wed and Sun), which allows me to focus on something else without feeling guilty or worried.

May you have peace in your day.

• Like 1

I spent the early morning with Erin, my yoga therapist.

The gym will happen after work, before the nightly call, which is before the meeting.

I rescheduled the Dangerous & Potentially Life-Threatening financial meeting for next week (Thursday 2/16 at 2 p.m.) since i need more time at the office this week, and the initial payment isn't in the account yet.

I have an annual physical tomorrow morning at 08:30.

I am working on setting up a family calendar that will integrate with the meal plan (that will integrate with the recipe box, of course).

Lots of water today.

• Like 1

I went to the bathroom just now and discovered that my pants have been on backwards all day.

That's a stone-cold talent, right there.

• Like 2

I hit the gym after work yesterday and biked 4.5 miles in 20 minutes before hitting the steam room, sauna and shower before a meeting.

At home, I yawned through dinner and cards and was out before the lights were off, but totally content and peaceful.

Life is good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Yay! Terrific news!

Agreed!

And I get to go pick her up this afternoon, so the timing couldn't be better.

Thank you for all your love and support.

Good wishes matter more than we think.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Uruza the Remorseless said:

I like how you keep track with the brief updates. 

Following!

Welcome, @Uruza the Remorseless. I find that brief updates and little tracking works best for me.

Which verse is it in the Tao that reminds us to solve problems when they are small?

I forget.

I took advantage of the sauna last night while Vivian was in swim lesson, and it was wonderful.

Yesterday the doctor took blood for tests, took another abdominal xray to check in with that, and then gave me a B12 shot and a flu shot. I'm to go back every month for B12, take B12 over the counter daily, and take lots of D (Speaking of which, let me just grab that right now. Done.) I'm also supposed to take magnesium and inulin (magneseum taken; inulin and B12 on the way.) I was pretty wiped out by the time we got home, and playtime with Vivian was a fairly quiet affair, though we both seemed to really enjoy it.

I have a bunch of classwork still to do, but I made a couple decent blog posts so far, with pictures, so I'm about halfway there, and the class week runs from Thursday - Wednesday, so it's all good.

The big news is that the mill is coming. We ordered it yesterday, and today we are putting in the order for a bunch of different grains and wheat berries -- we will be able to mill our own multi-grain, whole wheat, and ancient wheat (kamut and einkorn) flours. I'm super excited about this. Stay tuned -- there will likely be pictures on Wednesday and all next week (I'm taking the weekend and Monday off, so apologies in advance for my absence).

Things continue to come to light this week about the necessary self care. The message is coming through.

• Like 1

How exciting! What kind of mill did you get? I remember grain mills in the 90's before the "whisper mill" was a thing, and it'd sound like an airplane was taking off in the kitchen. But good ol' kamut biscuits were worth the trouble. There's nothing like that corn flour taste but rice flour texture.

• Like 1

@Laghail, we decided to go with the KoMoXL Plus -- the motor won me over. I'm a little intimidated at the thought of the sound -- I'll keep you posted! Vivian's birthday is Thursday and I am looking forward to being able to choose the soft winter white wheat and set the mill to super-fine for the flour for her cake (the kitchenaid mill attachment is great, but it just doesn't have the superfine setting for pastry flour -- and it's  s l o w ). We are also making a cake to celebrate a big occasion in a friend's life on Wednesday, so the delivery of the mill and the five kinds of wheat on Tuesday will be quite the event.

I'm wondering how it will affect all sorts of things, and my mind is dancing with possibilities.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heidi ☯ said:

I'm wondering how it will affect all sorts of things, and my mind is dancing with possibilities.

You're going to have so much fun with this mill! Try cutting golden '86 with brown rice for crusts or any baking soda leavened quick breads, it yields a pale, flaky finished product and my mouth is watering remembering the last time I had it.

• Like 1

Also, the kamut is an ancient oriental wheat from what was once called Persia, Iran now. We are excited about the health benefits in this and in Einkorn, which has lots of nutrients and the highest antioxidant of any wheat. Pretty cool, in theory, but taste is everything. So far my taste test of the Kamut (Khoresean) have been met with smiles and requests for second helpings.

:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laghail said:

You're going to have so much fun with this mill! Try cutting golden '86 with brown rice for crusts or any baking soda leavened quick breads, it yields a pale, flaky finished product and my mouth is watering remembering the last time I had it.

You're going to have to come help with the recipes -- how far away do you live from Virginia? :)

• Like 1

The weekend was filled with highs and lows -- lots of emotional discomfort moments around some really fine patches of peace and warmth and connection, almost like sun breaking through the storm. 

I haven't been to the sauna since Saturday, just before we went to a lovely dinner at a freshly made pasta place before hearing a symphony orchestra concert.

The mill came on Monday, and we made a batch of bread from the hard red and a cake for trifle layers for a celebration on Wednesday night.

I feel super disconnected, but it will get better.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jittersthe.Clown said:

spn-sorry-i-m-late-o.gif

But I'm here for this adventure

Good to have you along for the ride, @Jittersthe.Clown

And thanks for the reminder that I need to catch up on Supernatural! I quit watching after 

Spoiler

Bobby died. Then I picked it back up long enough to go through the leviathans and the haunted flask, and then it just got to be sort of impressed with itself and i stopped again.

This week is terminally weird for me so far, and there isn't any chance of it clearing up any time soon. Challenges include that my therapist is not feeling well and was out of the office yesterday. This would usually not be a big deal, but I had been subconsciously counting down to seeing her this week. I am ok enough, and went home and enjoyed the extra time to myself. (DOH! I could have been watching Supernatural!!) 

Also, the classwork is hard to work in (scheduling) and is hard to work on (my mental bandwidth is full of line noise and I can't seem to get it to clear). On the upside, I've written the paper for this week and posted it before it was due (with minutes to spare!!). It's not my best work in a lifetime, but that's ok. Today I have to write a response to each of the other posters, which kind of weirds me out, since the deadline was noon (I posted at 11) and at 1:30 when I checked, there were only two other responses (total of six of us in the class). I'm not certain what the expectation on me is concerning the students who posted late, if there are any.

My soul is quiet, detached and withdrawn. (I accidentally typed witchdrawn, which might be my coolest typo yet -- now I have to go write about that.)

• Like 3