• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heidi

Heidi: Frost

Olive tree adoption sounds like a great alternative agricultural business plan.

*Makes mental note to gift Heidi some olive oil when she visits*

• Like 1

This morning on the way to school, Vivian started talking about Washington DC, and by the time we were done, she was astonished to find out that we could just get on a train and go there. 

Well.

You know what had to happen.

We now have train tickets and a hotel for the first weekend of Spring Break to go to the capital, and I'm putting together a Travel Booklet, a folder complete with ticket and hotel information, a packing checklist and a list of cool things (with pictures, of course) to do while we are there. I'm hoping she likes it and gets excited.

• Like 5

Well, to be fair, I get to go too. :)

I'm looking forward to the carousel on the Mall, the Lincoln Memorial, the national gallery, and the Smithsonian Castle, just for starters.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2017 at 5:55 PM, Heidi ☯ said:

Hey, @DarK_RaideR -- want to set up a Goodies From Greece subscription? I'll come and help!

Not sure purchasing price and shipping leaves any profit margin, it's only worth it if you're producing the goodies yourself. I just offered to help you (and Vivian) as a friend, can't see it happening on a business scale.

Enjoy your time in DC and make sure to post plenty of photos!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 3:51 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Enjoy your time in DC and make sure to post plenty of photos!

We won't be going to DC until next month -- I wanted to be able to stay a bit longer and take advantage of Spring Break. It's that time of year when I start planning the vacations, and I'm looking forward to many small trips between now and September.

The weekend was a delight.

The first crate from Puglio is here, and Vivian and I had fun unpacking it.
Confession: I'm kind of in love with the crate.

Yes, that is me in my nightgown; don't be judgey.

20170302_180518.jpg

20170302_180450.jpg

20170302_180713.jpg

We had an extra hour to visit on Friday

So we spent some quality girl-time together in one of our favorite ways, at the library of my alma mater. The view of the building below is from the library window and is the building where I spent most of my time while in school. It's called Pleasants Hall, and I kind of get nostalgic about it.

IMG_20170303_163400.jpg

IMG_20170303_162946.jpg

IMG_20170303_163348.jpg

After her bath last night, Vivian asked to learn to knit. So of course I got her all set up and walked her through it. She's a natural, actually, and has quite the knack.

It was a lovely weekend, with time for playing with neighborhood friends on Sunday evening after rest time Sunday afternoon. Church was wonderful and centering as always. We made traditional Irish soda bread (no yeast, four ingredients, simple as can be and oh-so-delicious) that turned out Just Right for everything, but especially for French Toast.

Life is good.

20170305_193437.jpg

• Like 4

You know that the Universe loves you and wants you to be happy when it starts answering your prayers.

Caveat: This one gets long.

Grab some tea and put on some nice music.

Feel free to come back and read it at a later time.

My feelings won't be hurt, I promise.

Lately, I've been praying for the ability to be calm in extremely chaotic, stressful, and personal situations that seem to happen so often, and during which my emotions go all over the Unhealthy Map, wrecking my peace of mind and playing havoc with my physical system.

So yesterday, in a renewed commitment to self-care, I went back to my regular Tuesday routine: acupuncture, therapy, sauna. How blissful and restorative. Then it happened: two women in the sauna that I had never seen before had stuff spread everywhere -- phones with house music cranked to full volume, water bottles, unused headphones and hair bands, towels. I navigated the explosion of personal affects and sat down on the bench. The one woman spoke to me, "Someone's sitting there." I was confused, because, clearly, I didn't bump into anyone as I took my seat. "She just went to get some water." I continued to say nothing. "That's her phone," the woman said, gesturing  well-manicured, glittery nails to the device blaring house music. She looked at me pointedly. "This is me not saying anything," I said calmly. "It's harder than you might think." I closed my eyes again. "This is me not saying anything about you being in here with no clothes on," she said in an openly hostile and disapproving tone of voice. I opened my eyes and looked at her to figure out if she was serious. Not only was she serious, she was staring a challenge at me, clearly expecting a response. "Oh." I said. I closed my eyes again. (For the record, I was covered with a towel, but that's not exactly required. You can be buck-ass naked if you choose. I like that.) She proceeded to go on a tirade about how no one wanted to see my naked self. I didn't say anything.

The woman of the personal effects came in, took one look at me, and proceeded to get huffy. The other woman started telling her about how she told me not to sit there but how I said I didn't care. All this conversation had to happen at top volume to be heard over the music, of course. When the conversation was getting nasty-personal about how I looked and behaved and didn't have the right to sit in the one place where there wasn't any stuff, I felt my inner panic routine ramp up. But then, I saw the middle-school moment for what it was -- completely unrelated to me and really sad -- and it derailed altogether. By realizing I didn't have to participate in this little drama-fest, it didn't take long for my heart rate to come back down (FitBit had it at 188 at the peak-my max is considered to be 178) and the fluttering in my chest to subside. I started breathing normally again, just in time for them to decide to run me out of the sauna by dousing water on the rocks repeatedly and turning the music up even louder and -- dig this -- singing along. Yeah, I still didn't care. 

Even after the second bucket of water was dumped, one ladle at a time, my heart rate didn't go anywhere near what it was when they were being all MeanGirl about the whole thing. Of course, it really did get hot in there, and they had to take breaks -- once to get more water for the rocks and twice to go tell the manager that I was *gasp* in there without anything on under my towel. The second time, the counter person came in to see what was up. I waved and said "Hi, Sarah." She looked at me long and hard, told the women that I was perfectly fine the way I was (duh!!!), waved and left.

See there? That's the Universe giving me the opportunity to get what I asked for -- peace and serenity in the face of toxicity. 

I just had to step up to the plate.

Bonus: I got a really good steam room workout without having to leave the sauna, even though the steam room is down for repair this week. 

Thanks, Ladies!!

• Like 4

You're my hero Heidi. Opting out of a cycle of pain, it's amazing to recognize that's an option. Often a struggle for me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Often a struggle for me.

Thanks, @Laghail. It's the biggest part of the struggle for me, too!

Fortunately, once identified, I can focus more exclusively on this.

Stay tuned! I'm thinking of making this a big chunk of my next challenge!

Holy time-warp, Batman!

The challenge is nearly over!!

Wait -- let me go back and look at what I wrote (that was, like, so many weeks ago!!) . . . 

• Like 1

It's a couple days early for the wrap-up, but we all know how weekends are for me. I went back and reviewed the goals and made notes on where I am in relation to them. All in all, it's been an excellent challenge and one filled with joy and companionship, with plenty of opportunities for finding and keeping my center. Thanks for being here with me.

1. Act (daily elements) - keeping in action to sustain the healthy foundation. Improvements are bonus, a happy accident of continued use over time.

1. Morning walk -- 20 minutes - not nearly. I think it happened twice, but given the surprise heart issues, i'm glad that i'm going to the gym regularly again at all.

2. Steam room and sauna meditation -- 20 minutes - this is back in play, and i love it.

3. Hydrate -- 2+ litres throughout the day - still no coffee, but i could do with adding a glass of water here and there

4. Sleep - 9p.m. to 5 a.m. - doing really well about this lately

5. Journal -- this was a big success. I like keeping my journal and I notice that on days that I make time to write I am much more centered.

2. Connect (daily elements) -- nurture and be nurtured by my community

1. Meetings daily -- this was ambitious. I think two or three times a week is just right, as long as I choose meetings where I feel connected. It's a case of quality over quantity.

2. Call Paula daily - and in the course of this challenge, I have changed sponsors.

3. Call Vivian daily -- DONE! and of course I love it.

4. Friends group weekly -- DONE except for the week of rest, following the heart episode.

5. Monthly newsletter thought of the day -- well, not quite the way I had envisioned it, but it's coming into a space that I really like.

3. Sustain (weekly / monthly elements)- these are the things that keep me centered and whole, no matter what life throws at me. And trust me, life has a wicked curve ball these days.

1. Katrina - weekly therapy -- all but one, when I got the heart monitor, so that is all good.

2. Greg - weekly acupuncture -- getting better about this. I saw him twice this challenge.

3. Sunday - weekly reset routine -- doing great at this and it makes a huge difference

4. Erin - monthly yoga therapy - I saw her at the beginning of the challenge!

5. Candy - monthly hair appointment -- what's not to love about my hairdresser? She's fantastic.

4. Freedom -- leveling up on financial freedom is a huge deal for a reason. It takes a lot of willpower over time, but it reaps long lasting rewards.

This got totally changed around, as things sometimes do. I'm glad I have the flexibility to respond, to make a better decision and change course.
  • Like 5