Atrytone Buckles Down: Phase 2

So the point of Phase 1 was to see what worked and what didn’t. What I had an easy time with and what I just wouldn’t do. I had some ideas about how it would go and how I would frame this challenge in the occasion that everything went perfectly. Obviously it didn’t and as a result I’ve made a few adjustments. All things I can live with. Goal One went fabulously. I’m honestly impressed at how successful my tea solution was. I’m definitely continuing this goal. Goal Two had some ups and downs so I’ll be modifying my original intentions slightly but keeping part of the original plan. Goal Three was a hilarious and dismal failure so I’ll be trying something completely different from what I’d planned at the outset of Phase 1. Goal Four went decently but I feel as though there is room for improvement.

Goal One: Stop Eating Like an Asshole

Basically the same as last time, with one addition. As before I’ll reward/distract myself with tea to avoid breaking any of the segments when necessary.

i) Stop eating after 8 pm

ii) Stop eating for the sake of boredom

iii) Cut back the junk

iv) Three cups of coffee maximum per day - my coffee intake keeps creeping up every time I stop paying attention to it so that means I have to pay attention to it.

Goal Two: To the Fish and Back

While I didn’t manage to make it to the bridge and back everyday I was still significantly more consistent than I’ve been in the past with walking goals. So I’m going to up the distance like I originally intended but cut back the days slightly. The Fish is another landmark, approximately 2.5km away, so walking to it and back will give me about 5km. As I’ll be walking for a good hour or so I’ll only do this 5 times a week. No specific days (although the earlier I do it the better of course).

Goal Three: Physical Conditioning

I did not manage the Daily Mobility challenge very well so instead of doing it twice a day like I’d planned I’ll be doing something entirely different. As I’ll be going on a kayak trip over the Easter weekend (my Uncle is big on kayaking and invited me along - this will be the first time in more than a decade that I’ve been able to attend) I need to work on upper body strength. I remember the last trip mostly fondly but my arms and torso hated me after the first (and only - thanks weather) day. Not counting a bout of food poisoning I got I felt like I was going to die from my DOMS (not that I knew what it was called at that point). So there will be two segments to this goal because I love segments.

i) 100 pushup challenge - I attempted to do this along with one of Muir’s challenges but didn’t keep up with it despite my delight with my improvement. I’ll give it another go though. I’ll do the pushups on an M, W, F schedule. As my pushup abilities are feeble I’ll be doing the easiest difficulty and doing knee pushups if I’m unable to do proper plank form pushups.

ii) Core training - I haven’t 100% decided how I want to do this segment yet. I’ll start with this Darebee workout on a Tu, Th schedule. I might decide to change the workout or the days though. It depends on how I feel with this and the pushup challenge. I want to be flexible in my training so that I don’t get overwhelmed and just quit but I do know that I want to firm up my core for sure.

Goal Four: Don’t Let Fear or Common Sense Slow You Down

Almost the same as last time. Instead of doing things that scare or make me anxious 4 times I’m aiming for 6 times over the next 4-5 weeks. I also want to write a reflection about each thing. Why I feel uncomfortable doing it, how I felt while doing it, and a bit about the aftermath. Introspection is a good thing and sometimes writing things out helps me organize and process them in my head better than just dwelling on them does.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following again. I too have to cut myself off after that third cup of coffee

Like most things in life coffee seems best in moderation. :)

• Like 1

On January 9th I took waist and hip measurements in the hopes that Goal One would help make a difference and boy did it! My waist measurement went from 30.5" to 29.5" and my hip measurement went from 39" to 37.5". Nothing to sneer at in less than a month with very little change except for dietary habits.

Did my first day of pushups as well. Managed to get two (very shaky) plank form pushups in. The remaining 12 were knee pushups.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Atrytone said:

I did not manage the Daily Mobility challenge very well so instead of doing it twice a day like I’d planned I’ll be doing something entirely different. As I’ll be going on a kayak trip over the Easter weekend (my Uncle is big on kayaking and invited me along - this will be the first time in more than a decade that I’ve been able to attend) I need to work on upper body strength. I remember the last trip mostly fondly but my arms and torso hated me after the first (and only - thanks weather) day. Not counting a bout of food poisoning I got I felt like I was going to die from my DOMS (not that I knew what it was called at that point). So there will be two segments to this goal because I love segments.

i) 100 pushup challenge - I attempted to do this along with one of Muir’s challenges but didn’t keep up with it despite my delight with my improvement. I’ll give it another go though. I’ll do the pushups on an M, W, F schedule. As my pushup abilities are feeble I’ll be doing the easiest difficulty and doing knee pushups if I’m unable to do proper plank form pushups.

ii) Core training - I haven’t 100% decided how I want to do this segment yet. I’ll start with this Darebee workout on a Tu, Th schedule. I might decide to change the workout or the days though. It depends on how I feel with this and the pushup challenge. I want to be flexible in my training so that I don’t get overwhelmed and just quit but I do know that I want to firm up my core for sure.

Went kayaking over the weekend and remembered what a huge upper body workout it is! Following along to hear all about your adventures :)

• Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

10 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Went kayaking over the weekend and remembered what a huge upper body workout it is! Following along to hear all about your adventures :)

It really is, isn't it? What type of body of water were you in? I've only been sea kayaking myself.

7 hours ago, Atrytone said:

It really is, isn't it? What type of body of water were you in? I've only been sea kayaking myself.

This time around we went sea kayaking in the bay. The water was fairly flat but you have to generate all of the momentum yourself. On a river the current will pull your boat along to a point and you just help and steer, but then you have moments of high intensity work when you go through the rapids. I enjoy both :)

• Like 1

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

Don't Let Fear or Common Sense Slow You Down - Introspection 1

Spoiler

Today I did something that made me feel very anxious. I had a meeting with my boss to ask her if she would be willing to put me into touch with some of her contacts in a nearby (large) city. I'm not fully certain as to why this made me feel anxious. I suppose there was the risk that she would say no. I was asking because I'm thinking about going back to school and it's something important to me. If she had said no I could likely still find work but she's been in the healthcare industry for a couple decades and she can open doors for me that I didn't even know existed. I think I was also worried she'd think I was taking her and the work for granted. I was also nervous because I love my job and this is me taking steps to leave it. I also worry that I'll settle and become complacent. I would be content to do this work for the rest of my life but I know I would regret not pushing myself on. 

In the meeting I couldn't seem to make the words come out right. I wanted to explain that I loved my job, and I enjoy working in the healthcare industry. However, it's coming up on a year since I graduated and I need to find a lab to volunteer in before I'm in a good position to apply for grad school. I don't want to move away to do volunteer work unless I've managed to set up work in the city beforehand and that I'd love to continue my current work elsewhere. Would she be willing to put me in contact with her past colleagues to that end? It came out in a hodgepodge of the above but I'm not sure if I got my point across exactly. Not to mention she was worried I meant to quit on the spot which wasn't the case.

I'm glad I spoke with her and she was quite positive about it after I finished explaining myself. I still feel queasy about the whole situation though. I feel like I'm betraying everyone that works there. I feel like I should just accept it and stay there and be content. I guess I'm just worried I'm making a poor decision and that it's something I'll regret in the future.

• Like 2

Pushups again today! Of the 20 I did 3-4 (form was a bit off on one of them) were plank form pushups.

I went out today to get new jeans since my old ones are falling apart and a little too large(!!!) now. I found a couple pair that fit decently at a local thrift store and paid less than $10 for the both of them. I also went to our outdoor store and bought myself some synthetic pants that I can unzip into shorts for $95. Can we tell where my priorities are? Hahah. I chatted with the guy who owned the store for a bit and he randomly offered me a job. Not sure if I'll take him up on it yet but I'll consider it for sure.

• Like 2

Got in 24 pushups - 3 plank form. I'm actually a little excited because I managed 2 in a row today instead of them all being split between sets.

• Like 3

Feeling blah and bored is a bad combination for me. Just shoving food in my mouth - doesn't help that the staff room is full of snack food and I'm not in a position to make distraction tea. Thank goodness my break is almost over.

i'm trying to give up coffee myself. Following!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

11 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

i'm trying to give up coffee myself. Following!

Give it up? I can't imagine ever wanting to go that far (I did it once to see if I could and it was awful). 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:13 PM, Atrytone said:

Feeling blah and bored is a bad combination for me. Just shoving food in my mouth - doesn't help that the staff room is full of snack food and I'm not in a position to make distraction tea. Thank goodness my break is almost over.

Oh how I know those feelings! I actively avoid our break room at the moment because there is so much junk around and I'll know I'll be tempted. Luckily it's summer here so I can go for a walk outside instead :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Oh how I know those feelings! I actively avoid our break room at the moment because there is so much junk around and I'll know I'll be tempted. Luckily it's summer here so I can go for a walk outside instead :)

Our break room can go either way. There's nothing or a whole bunch. I'll just have to stay focused.

Got in 28 pushups today. The first two were plank form but that was all I managed today. I also went for my first 5k walk this challenge. It was nice but the last quarter was up a hill which was a little intense. I'm also currently on task with my coffee intake as much as it pains me.

Additionally I got a ton of laundry done which I've needed to do for a while. So today was productive.

• Like 2

So I just need to talk about something and my best friend is currently out of commission but don't read to much into the following.

Today at work I made a mistake. A small, easy to fix mistake but a mistake nevertheless. One of my biggest fears is failure because I feel like if I fail at anything people will think I'm worthless. That I'll actually be worthless. So I make this mistake and I start going about fixing it and my internal monologue of 'stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid' is less internal and more externally audible. And one of my coworkers over heard and laughed. And I was just so thankful. She's a nice lady so obviously she misunderstood my muttered commentary. I was just so glad she didn't realize I was calling myself stupid. She probably thought I was referring to the situation. 

I think the only thing worse would have been if she'd clued in to the depths my self loathing can go when I make a mistake (low blood sugar probably didn't help either).

I'm feeling better now though. So it's no big deal.

• Like 1

Going in to apply for a job I was offered last week. I haven't had a shift since mid-December at one of my jobs and part time hours at the other just won't cut it if I'm planning on moving come September. Which...I think I kinda am. There's nothing affordable here and I'm tired of living with my parents. There's not much affordable where I'm going either but at least I'll be able to further my education and career goals. It's time for me to move on with my life. I could be content doing the work I am now but it won't be enough. I won't be satisfied with this long-term. I'm already getting antsy.

• Like 2

Today I willfully cheated on my coffee intake. I kept it to just one extra cup though and given that there had to be at least another three in the carafe I'm calling that a...well not a win but certainly not a loss either.

I almost didn't do my pushups but since my exhaustion test is on Saturday I figured I'd better. Only got 28 again but I managed 3 plank form pushups in a row and 4 total. I feel like I should be going a little lower than I am but I'm struggling because I hate it when my arms give out. That's something I'm going to have to work on.

In other news I have a meeting tomorrow with my boss and supervisor about another position at work. So while it's a good thing it's probably going to rate an introspection. As will the job I applied for today. But I'll write that up tomorrow.

• Like 2

I managed 32 pushups today - 3 plank form. I have my exhaustion test tomorrow and given that my record so far has been 3 proper pushups in a row I doubt I'm going to reach the 16 suggested for the next part of the pushup challenge. So what I am going to do is give the exhaustion test my all and then I plan to go back to the beginning with my new total. Since at the beginning I was only able to do one pushup at best I've already improved. However, I don't see a benefit to trying to force myself to keep up to an unrealistic standard for my ability level. I'll improve at my own pace even if I wish it were faster than it's proving to be.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Atrytone said:

Since at the beginning I was only able to do one pushup at best I've already improved. However, I don't see a benefit to trying to force myself to keep up to an unrealistic standard for my ability level. I'll improve at my own pace even if I wish it were faster than it's proving to be.

There's a lot of wisdom in this.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I like the pushup part of your challenge :) my first NF workout was angry birds and I only ever did knee pushups... Sounds like you're making good progress!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There's a lot of wisdom in this.

I often have to write as though I'm talking about something separate from me, or as though I were giving advice to someone else, because I usually have a hard time following my own advice. It helps that I know no one here is judging me for not being instantly fabulous at All The Things.

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I like the pushup part of your challenge :) my first NF workout was angry birds and I only ever did knee pushups... Sounds like you're making good progress!

Thanks, I think my first NF workout was the Beginner Body Weight Circuit? But yeah pushups are brutal and I'm glad that I'm finally starting to get better at them. It's a difficult challenge and I most certainly will not have completed it in the 6 suggested weeks but hopefully I'll stick to it and get there.

• Like 2

Don't Let Fear or Common Sense Slow You Down - Introspection 2

Spoiler

So on Wednesday I went and applied for a job at a local outdoor store. I had been in there the previous week and the owner suggested dropping off a resume. I feel like there were a few reasons I was anxious about this. Firstly, I do already technically have two jobs - even if I haven't had a shift at one since mid-December. So I was worried that maybe I'd apply and get the job and then end up having to work too much. Which wouldn't be optimal. Then there was regular job application anxiety. I hate applying for jobs. You have such a brief window of opportunity to make a good impression and then you also have to hope your resume is professional and not too long or too short. If, after all that, you get the job it's usually two weeks of hell trying to learn all the policies and protocols and the little ins and outs of the specific job. Not to mention the anxiety that you might not get the job at all. No one likes rejection right?

I was pretty anxious dropping off my resume. I knew I probably made a blunder waiting a whole week (and given that I haven't been contacted yet...well I probably didn't get it). I dropped it off and explained my delay and thanked the staff member on duty at the time. I left and still felt pretty keyed up so I walked to a couple different places in town (the bank, the hardware store) to try and leech out some of my adrenaline. It took a while but by the time I drove home I had mostly calmed down. 

• Like 2

Week One wrap up post.

Goal One: Stop Eating Like an Asshole

I'm doing alright with this goal. There was only one day I overdid my coffee limit and that was a deliberate choice. I have been struggling with junk though. Lately the staff room is full of not great snacking options and I've been having a hard time overcoming the desire to nibble away at all sorts of sugary or salty treats that, while tasty, don't really contribute much health wise. I'm going to have to come up with a plan of action to deal with them.

Goal Two: To the Fish and Back

Well not a bad start I suppose. I did this walk 3 times last week. It would have been 4 but I had a coworker ask me to cover for her on too short of notice for me to squeeze a walk in. I'd have gone for the walk after work but it was late so I'll aim to do better this week. (Not today though because I think I'm fighting off some sort of throat bug or infection).

I'm muddling along with the pushup challenge. I was right in that I only barely managed 3 plank form pushups for my exhaustion test yesterday. I'll be starting from the beginning again and hope this time that I can get more plank form pushups than I did the first time around. I can see this being a long process but I want to stick with it. Expect this challenge to be in the next couple Phases.

I didn't do the core workouts I wanted to. So I'll try writing them down on my calendar for this week. It seems to be working for the pushup challenge. If nothing else it's a constant reminder that I want to Do Things. If I don't get it done by the end of this week I'll reassess.

Goal Four: Don’t Let Fear or Common Sense Slow You Down

Two introspection's down - four to go.

• Like 2