• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vibrantella

Vibrantella Gets Strong

Hello Warriors, can I quest with you this challenge?

I’m a Druid by calling, but have been developing a fitness habit in the last 6 months or so, since starting the NF challenges.  I have recently started Stronglifts 5x5, and who else to run with in order to get better at lifting than the Warrior Guild?  I'll need all the help and advice you can spare.

Some background: I’m 46, 175 cm and at BMI of around 28.  Two years ago, my BMI was 40 and I got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  I managed to reverse it and shed 30-odd kg of unwanted fat using a very low carb diet, which morphed into keto.  I also started walking to work (a.k.a. Mordor) and doing some Tabata kettlebell swings, and a few months ago I joined a gym.  I got a personal trainer to teach me how to lift with good form, and he also showed me the machines, etc., but now I’m on my own.

I’m a RMT though don’t practice professionally at this time, and also do energy and meditation work.  Oh, and I’m currently doing an MA in Classical Studies.

So, with my overall goal being the continuing improvement of health and body composition, here is my challenge:

1.  Ketogenic diet with Intermittent Fasting - weekly average of 25 carbs and 70 prots per day

2.  Stronglifts 5x5 three times per week.  I’m currently (beginning of Week Zero) at

42.5 kg squat,

22.5 kg bench press,

32.5 kg barbell row,

20 kg overhead press,

50 kg deadlift

3.  Continue Walking to Mordor.  I’m about 500 km away from Rauros, which should take me 3-4 months.  Losing some jewellery in Mount Doom by the end of the year, I hope!

4.  At least 20 mins per day of Reiki/meditation/energy work

5.  Some kind of regular (at least weekly) stretching or foam rolling routine - I'm starting to feel the need!

So, this is my Warrior Challenge.  I always wanted to shout this, even though I'm more of an Amazon than a Dwarf:  "Baruk Khazad!  Khazad ai menu!" :D  Let's do it!

• Like 10

Thanks @RedStone and @AugustaAdaByron

25 minutes ago, RedStone said:

How long have you been doing SL?

A week and a half... :D But I have been learning how to lift for a couple of months, that's why my starting squat and deadlift were higher than recommended.  My upper body is definitely weaker, so that's going slowly.

• Like 4

Thanks @Blocky and @CJ the (soon-to-be) Mighty!

Yesterday was the B routine of stronglifts:

squats:  warm up - 2 x 5 just the bar (20 kg)

squats: 5 x 5 at 45 kg

OHP: 5 x 5  at 20 kg (just the bar - last time I failed rep 5 in sets 4 and 5)

deadlift: 1 x 5 at 52.5 kg  (forgot to do a warmup, and that's probably why I felt I could do another set - decided against it, because I feel quite knackered as it is, going at it every other day)

I'm adding fractional plates, 1.25 kg, as I'm a girl! ;) I also had a nice 10 mins in the sauna to relax.

Then, later in the night, I woke up full of beans and couldn't go back to sleep for an hour or so!  This has happened to me once before, when I first started going to the gym, and I'm not really sure why.  Possibly a cortisol kick as I didn't have dinner (I lift on my fasting days, when I eat only a light lunch anywhere between 11am - 2pm, and go to the gym at 5pm) - though I checked my blood glucose and it was fine.  Another possibility is that magnesium really does something - I ran out of it this weekend and haven't ordered more.  Maybe I should...

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

3.  Continue Walking to Mordor.  I’m about 500 km away from Rauros, which should take me 3-4 months.  Losing some jewellery in Mount Doom by the end of the year, I hope!

lol. hopefully only a ring. 

6c55b818ed84b8554623d810b4fd643f.gif 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, RedStone said:

SAUNAS ARE THE BESTTTTT!!!!

That was one of the main reasons I joined this particular gym.  :D  The others were:  i) it's local, and ii) it has the largest number of lifting racks I've seen in a local gym (i.e. more than one)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

That was one of the main reasons I joined this particular gym.  :D  The others were:  i) it's local, and ii) it has the largest number of lifting racks I've seen in a local gym (i.e. more than one)

UGH I so miss my spa gym!!! Steam room/sauna/hot tub and lovely waterfall things and beautiful tile locker rooms. I had a crazy life thing happen and had to switch to the gritty garage gym I'm at now, and even tho that's resolved, I have to stay there cause my coach is great lol Take a sauna for me sometime!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks, @Dagger and @EternalJourno!  I suppose I could become a Warrior Druidess :D

Yesterday was the A routine, which looked like this:

squats; warm ups - 2x5 at 20 kg

squats: 5x5 at 47.5 kg

bench press warm ups - 1x5 at 20 kg

bench press: 5x5 at 25 kg

barbell row warm ups - didn't have time

barbell row: 5x5 at 35 kg

All interspersed with static stretches, especially between the squats as the last few days I had a stiff groin (oooh, Matron!) 

Image result for gif ooh matron

Two conclusions:

1.  I have to make some sort of a table/spreadsheet to record the weight progression (I don't think the existing apps would be good for me)

2.  I need to expand my repertoire of stretches - I am SO bored between the sets!  The wait is the worst thing about stronglifts!  And I tried to shorten the rest periods, but then I can't perform the full number of reps/sets. 

Oh, and I slept great last night, if not enough (went to bed later than usual)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Two conclusions:

1.  I have to make some sort of a table/spreadsheet to record the weight progression (I don't think the existing apps would be good for me)

2.  I need to expand my repertoire of stretches - I am SO bored between the sets!  The wait is the worst thing about stronglifts!  And I tried to shorten the rest periods, but then I can't perform the full number of reps/sets. 

Oh, and I slept great last night, if not enough (went to bed later than usual)

I think you should check out the Strong app! I have it and love it. I can create any custom exercise i want (DB, barbell, cardio, bodyweight, machine assisted etc). And it tracks all weight progression and PRs in various charts and reports. This is NOT the Stronglifts app, it's one simply called Strong. If you let me know what function you want I can try to get a screen shot to post here for you and see if it will work for what you need. 

Unless you love spreadsheets, they by all, means, go for it. 

No, I do not get paid to promote, Strong, I wish. Need to get that IG going so I can try for this goal. ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Thanks, @Dagger and @EternalJourno!  I suppose I could become a Warrior Druidess :D

HECK YEAH! I think most of us have a little bit of different guilds in us ;) I'm somewhere in the Warrior-Monk-Ranger-Assassin-Adventurer class myself LOL

I'm an analogue girl when it comes to tracking my progress, I have notebooks I bring to all lift sessions. I relied on it super heavily in the beginning, but now I'm mouch more familiar with where I'm at and what I have to do in terms of progressions each time. It gets easier ;) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think you should check out the Strong app!

Thanks, but it's not available for android :(

At the moment I'm recording it in my BuJo, but in my dailies.  I want to make a table/spread or something...

• Like 1

The challenge is going well! :D I weighed myself this morning and the evil scale is going in the right direction, for a change! 

Yesterday I did the routine B:

squats:  warm up - 2 x 5 just the bar (20 kg)

squats: 5 x 5 at 50 kg

OHP: 5 x 5  at 22.5 kg  - failed on the last rep of the last set! That means this weight will be repeated next time.

deadlift: warm up - 2 x 5 at 25 kg

deadlift: 1 x 5 at 55 kg

Spent about 15 mins in the sauna afterwards, and back home I applied some HM Mg oil all over my legs and upper arms - slept like a baby!  Which is nice, seeing that I've been rather stressed due to lots of social occasions in the past week, including hosting a family member then some friends in our spare room.

• Like 6

Following! I've been easing back into the gym routine and will be doing the SL program in another week or so. Twice a week, though, I don't seem to recover fast enough and beat myself up a bit the last time I tried to lift 3x a week.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 3:25 PM, Vibrantella said:

The challenge is going well! :D

Glad to hear it! Even better considering the circumstances you outlined. Social occasions can definitely take things sideways at times.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 9:25 AM, Vibrantella said:

Spent about 15 mins in the sauna afterwards, and back home I applied some HM Mg oil all over my legs and upper arms - slept like a baby!  Which is nice, seeing that I've been rather stressed due to lots of social occasions in the past week, including hosting a family member then some friends in our spare room.

YUSSSSS mischief stress managed!

• Like 2

Week Zero recap:

1.  Ketogenic diet with Intermittent Fasting - weekly average of 25 carbs and 70 prots per day

Excellent: 23 g carbs and 70 g prots, despite (or perhaps because) of my cooking 2 three-course dinners for family and friends.  Also a huge fry-up on a Saturday morning (American pancakes, bacon, mushrooms, spinach and fried eggs - I don't eat the pancakes nor maple syrup/jams, but Mr.V and the guests appreciated them!)

2.  Stronglifts 5x5 three times per week.  

Yes!  :D 

3.  Continue Walking to Mordor.  

I's my regular walk to work and back, but this week I've even managed to get up from the sofa on a Saturday...

4.  At least 20 mins per day of Reiki/meditation/energy work

This has slightly taken a back seat, have only done 3 sessions (though 2 were extra long)

5.  Some kind of regular (at least weekly) stretching or foam rolling routine - I'm starting to feel the need!

One foam rolling session, one mini-Pilates session, and Mr.V has stepped up his back massage game! :D 

Week 1, however, has not started perfectly, as I went to the gym fasted (didn't have time to eat and wasn't really hungry) and felt weird.  Not completely weak and dizzy, but somewhat spaced.  I managed a good squat, failed on the last rep of sets 3-5 with the bench press, and dropped the weight after the third set of rows. :ambivalence:  That was it, and I went straight home (didn't feel like the sauna either).  I checked my blood sugar as soon as I got home, but it was fine and dandy, and I wasn't even hungry.  I still ate a meal, and felt OK, if slightly embarrassed.  I don't think I'm going to experiment with fasted workouts in the future!

• Like 7

On 2/14/2017 at 11:58 AM, Vibrantella said:

Week 1, however, has not started perfectly, as I went to the gym fasted (didn't have time to eat and wasn't really hungry) and felt weird.  Not completely weak and dizzy, but somewhat spaced.  I managed a good squat, failed on the last rep of sets 3-5 with the bench press, and dropped the weight after the third set of rows. :ambivalence:  That was it, and I went straight home (didn't feel like the sauna either).  I checked my blood sugar as soon as I got home, but it was fine and dandy, and I wasn't even hungry.  I still ate a meal, and felt OK, if slightly embarrassed.  I don't think I'm going to experiment with fasted workouts in the future!

Well, now you know. :)

Sounds like Zero Week went well. :D

• Like 1