• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vibrantella

Vibrantella Gets Strong

On 2/14/2017 at 5:58 AM, Vibrantella said:

Week 1, however, has not started perfectly, as I went to the gym fasted (didn't have time to eat and wasn't really hungry) and felt weird.  Not completely weak and dizzy, but somewhat spaced.  I managed a good squat, failed on the last rep of sets 3-5 with the bench press, and dropped the weight after the third set of rows. :ambivalence:  That was it, and I went straight home (didn't feel like the sauna either).  I checked my blood sugar as soon as I got home, but it was fine and dandy, and I wasn't even hungry.  I still ate a meal, and felt OK, if slightly embarrassed.  I don't think I'm going to experiment with fasted workouts in the future!

This is how I feel when I workout fasted! Like I'm kinda floating around and my body doesn't do things I ask it to...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PollyannaAgain said:

This is how I feel when I workout fasted! Like I'm kinda floating around and my body doesn't do things I ask it to...

Yeah, I didn't like that feeling!

Much better today, had my session about 3-4 hours after a meal.  I'm really, really pleased that I squatted 55 kg and deadlifted 60!

• Like 4

On 2/14/2017 at 5:58 AM, Vibrantella said:

Week 1, however, has not started perfectly, as I went to the gym fasted (didn't have time to eat and wasn't really hungry) and felt weird.  Not completely weak and dizzy, but somewhat spaced.  I managed a good squat, failed on the last rep of sets 3-5 with the bench press, and dropped the weight after the third set of rows. :ambivalence:  That was it, and I went straight home (didn't feel like the sauna either).  I checked my blood sugar as soon as I got home, but it was fine and dandy, and I wasn't even hungry.  I still ate a meal, and felt OK, if slightly embarrassed.  I don't think I'm going to experiment with fasted workouts in the future!

I had a similar experience. I went from doing fasted circuit workouts to doing fasted lifting + circuit workouts and developed what I called the zombie fog - AKA - walking around in a daze before I could get some food in me! Now I prefer to train in the afternoon, after 3/4 of my cal intake for the day. waaaaay better for me ;) 

Otherwise, sounds like the challenge is off to a great start! :D:D:D 

• Like 2

Week 1 recap:

1.  Ketogenic diet with Intermittent Fasting - weekly average of 25 carbs and 70 prots per day

Averaged 24 g carbs and 75 g prots, very good

2.  Stronglifts 5x5 three times per week.  

Is happening, even though it's been a bit wobbly strength-wise (pre-sharks, maybe?).  I also got mega-jel when a guy asked to go in between my sets to squat my 57.5 kgs as warm-up!!!  Saw him lift 160 kg as a 1RM, good job, but I felt a bit crest-fallen...

3.  Continue Walking to Mordor.  

Happily! :D 

4.  At least 20 mins per day of Reiki/meditation/energy work

This seems to be getting worse as I don't need it as a procrastination crutch! ;) My work hours were different last week, though, and we were busy/away at the weekend, so hope this week is going to improve...

5.  Some kind of regular (at least weekly) stretching or foam rolling routine - I'm starting to feel the need!

10 dedicated minutes of stretching at home, twice last week (I also stretch calves/quads/hams/flexors between squat sets)

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Is happening, even though it's been a bit wobbly strength-wise (pre-sharks, maybe?).  I also got mega-jel when a guy asked to go in between my sets to squat my 57.5 kgs as warm-up!!!  Saw him lift 160 kg as a 1RM, good job, but I felt a bit crest-fallen...

The only person you need to compete against is yourself. And you are getting stronger all the time!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

The only person you need to compete against is yourself. And you are getting stronger all the time!

QFT and it's all relative!! How big was this guy? How long has he trained? Ain't no thing, you do you and you're doing great :) 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I know, I know - until a couple of months ago I couldn't even lift the bar!  I have made progress, and it's not negated by other people's achievements.

5 hours ago, RedStone said:

QFT and it's all relative!! How big was this guy? How long has he trained?

He wasn't even that big, actually, and barely any taller than me!  He looked very fit, though - I should have asked him about his training.

• Like 4

OK, yesterday at the gym, two things, that had been building up, reached their pinnacle and converged:

1.  All the lifting racks were full, with doubles, i.e. people going in between each other's sets

2.  I was bored with the stronglifts.  There, I said it!  I like lifting, but I'm bored when I have to wait between sets - and I've reached that level with 5x5 where the weight it so heavy I can barely move it, and then I need 3-5 minutes to attempt the next set.

So, I had a break from stronglifts and did a machine workout, and it was a breath of fresh air!

Leg press 85 kg, 3 x 8

Glute extension 45 kg, 2 x 10 each leg

Glute lift 35 kg, 2x8 and 37.5 kg, 1x6

Assisted pull-up, 47kg, 3 x 8

Chest fly, 35 kg, 3x8

Row 35 kg, 3x8

It was fun and fast, still challenging but not soul-destroying, and I didn't feel I was wasting any time :D

Now, I hope to be able to return to stronglifts 5x5 next time (on Monday).  However, if all the racks are full, maybe I'll have to re-think my gym arrangement...  When I first approached the idea of weights, my plan was to join a gym and get a personal trainer to teach me to lift safely and with good form, after which I would buy my own equipment and lift at home.  Well, I grew to like the gym, and the space that was supposed to be the home gym "mysteriously" turned into a DIY workshop.  But now that I have started to experience overcrowding in the gym, maybe I could revisit this original idea...   We'll see.

• Like 5

Week 2 recap:

1.  Ketogenic diet with Intermittent Fasting - weekly average of 25 carbs and 70 prots per day

Averaged 20 g carbs and 71 g prots, excellent

I only went to the gym twice this week, due to a scheduling conflict with the sharks ;) .  The second time, though, wasn't even for stronglifts, as detailed above.  I still give this a passing grade, as the challenge for me is to improve my fitness, and even machine work helps.

Total of 37.16 km in the week

Slight improvement there, but still not hitting the daily target.  Had guests to stay again, but it's not really an excuse.  I did sleep/nap more, so that is a plus!

5.  Some kind of regular (at least weekly) stretching or foam rolling routine - I'm starting to feel the need!

Mini-Pilates (YT) session on Sat

• Like 3

How far are you into your journey to Mordor? It seems like a creative goal that people are working on. I've tried to do it before but couldn't keep up with the tracking (with all the other tracking I'm already doing).

How are you liking the keto? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

How far are you into your journey to Mordor? It seems like a creative goal that people are working on. I've tried to do it before but couldn't keep up with the tracking (with all the other tracking I'm already doing).

I'm more than half way there (current total distance travelled is 1641.32 km)! :D If you already track steps or miles/km (I have a GPS tracker app on my phone) it's super easy - just fill the spreadsheet available in this PVP Challenge thread:  Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2017)

How are you liking the keto? 

I love keto! :D  Meat, veggies, bacon, and lots and lots of butter - what's not to love?

Ron Swanson Best Quotes – Parks & Recreation Series Finale ...  I've been on LC non-stop for almost 2 years, the last 6-7 months down to keto.  However, even in the past, when I was yo-yo dieting, only low carb could get me to shed any fat.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

However, even in the past, when I was yo-yo dieting, only low carb could get me to shed any fat.

I have found this to be true as well. If I stay LC, then it doesn't seem to matter how many calories I actually eat, I still lose fat. It's something I'm going to stick with for a while.

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, Vibrantella said:

I don't think I'm going to experiment with fasted workouts in the future!

Yeah, I kinda did. ;) 

It wasn't that bad, actually!  :D  OK, I deloaded a bit - down to 50kg squats, 22.5kg OHP and 60kg DL, but I would have probably done the same even had I eaten.  I was starting to feel too beat up from adding weight every other day.  The session went well - I felt strong and focused, and had a nice meditation in the sauna afterwards.  So, my stronglifts 5x5 challenge goal is slightly modified, so what?  The important thing is that I am developing a fitness habit, I'm lifting weight and improving my strength.  Not to mention my body composition...

Speaking of, I'm considering doing a DEXA scan, to see exactly where I am with body fat, lean mass and bone density.  Actually, they offer a package of 2, so I could monitor any improvement within the 9 months or so.  Is it really necessary?  Probably not, but it is a tool that could assist me in my quest for better health and improved body composition.  Has anyone here done it?

• Like 5

I'm super stoked that I managed to complete the deadlift challenge at the advanced level (female)!  That meant that I changed my stronglifts again - the normal pattern is just one set of 5 DL after 5x5 squats, but I went straight to the DL after a warm up and did 12-12-13-10 at 40 kg in 5 minutes.  Which was WOW! :D

Also, this morning the evil scale showed a drop to the lowest weight since, I don't know, probably the last millenium! :D Making my total weight loss 38kg or over 80 lbs in almost 2 years.  Nice!

Another win - the epic beetroot chocolate LC cupcakes I made earlier are actually mega tasty!

• Like 7

What an amazing day! Deadlifts AND a scale victory. Deadlifts are kind of a great way to celebrate a scale win, don't you think?

Is is there a recipe link for those amazeballs muffins?

• Like 2

Is is there a recipe link for those amazeballs muffins?

I used this Jamie Oliver recipe, halved, but replaced sugar with Xylitol.  Hardcore keto! :D

Deadlifts are kind of a great way to celebrate a scale win, don't you think?

It was actually the other way round, I did the deadlifts yesterday, and was rewarded by the scale this morning ;)  Either way, can't complain!

• Like 4

Week 3 recap:

Great results with reaching my lowest weight in years - average daily carbs were 20 g, and protein 72 g

Well, I went to the gym 3 times and lifted weights.  One of those sessions was not actually stronglifts, as I completely bypassed the squats in order to be able to crush the deadlift mini :D (I still can't quite believe it myself!)

Is happening as normal

Great improvement here, doing daily sessions at home and walking meditations on top

I forgot!  Obviously don't need it that much any more... ;)  Also, was busy at the weekend when I usually do a short session.  Am still stretching between the sets in the gym, but would like to build more of a habit with this.

• Like 8

Great job on week 3! I also struggle with getting my stretching/mobility in! It's hard to add a new habit to the routine. 

• Like 1

Heh, got chatted up by 2 guys today at the gym! :D  Personal trainers trying to get me to hire them, obv.  It's the first time this has happened, and I just realised why - I went to the gym half an hour later than I usually do, so stayed till after 6pm, which must be when their shift begins.  Well, I hope that's the reason, rather then my looking like a clueless fat newbie ;) (I know that's not it, I squatted 50 ks and deadlifted 70 :D )

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Well, I hope that's the reason, rather then my looking like a clueless fat newbie 

It's NEVER because you look like a clueless fat newbie and always because they need clients. ;) 

• Like 2