• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone is F*ing Strong Enough

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

POPS IS OUT AND OKAY!!! From what I understand, this procedure is only a problem during the operation, not after, so i'm gonna go ahead and say

RedStone is fucking relieved.

nnoOWWR.gif

That's great news!

My dad had a pacemaker put in last year so yeah, I understand the worry. (Except he didn't tell anyone till afterward... And didn't really explain that it was preventive until I saw him a month or two later. My family is not known for good communication.)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

That's great news!

My dad had a pacemaker put in last year so yeah, I understand the worry. (Except he didn't tell anyone till afterward... And didn't really explain that it was preventive until I saw him a month or two later. My family is not known for good communication.)

Like for the relatable. Do you hug them or kill them, for srs? 

Good news, Redstone. The scariest bit has passed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

That's great news!

17 hours ago, Urgan said:

Like for the relatable. Do you hug them or kill them, for srs? 

Good news, Redstone. The scariest bit has passed.

Seriously, that's so unnecessary :( As difficult as the whole thing was leading in (I think maybe I was a touch in denial) I would absolutely prefer to know! We've had some secrets come out over the years but never about health. I would be fucking furious.

12 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Excellent news, Red!!!!

Thanks guys :) I can't tell you how relieved I am. Oh wait, I probably can. SO RELIEVED. 

Yesterday was weird, I was kind of in a dream state for a good part of it and productivity took a flying leap. Somewhere around midday I listened to a friend, and, other than an appointment with a realtor, let myself have the rest of the day. I did all the laundry while watching cartoons, cleaned up a surface in the bedroom that has been cluttered for MONTHS (omg so much better @StarGazer ) and talked to my dad for awhile once he had come to. 

Meal plan was intentionally lowish carb and cal because last night was the TSA awards dinner, cause apparently that's a thing. I dressed up, curled my hair, felt like a million, and ate copious amounts of pasta and steak like an asshole. Oh yeah... and tiramisu ;) I got to meet a lot of the people that train there at different times than me... (5am? WTF even is that??) and... I have to admit, kind of enjoyed being objectified and flirted with. Is that super wrong? It sounds slightly wrong... but... here we are. I mean come on... who doesn't like being told that they're hot and I never would have put you close to 40, maybe late 20s... and all in the same sentence as, oh you're the lifter! Hey, she deadlifts what?! Okay, okay, brag aside, socialing was super fun and I put out the feelers for folks to run OCRs with me. I plan to continue this campaign whole heartedly until it works dammit. I'm going to ask Lou if I can post events like that and PL meets and stuff on the FB group.

_____

SO speaking of which, this is kind of important and I wonder if my lifting crisis of faith is over? An upcoming warrior dash near me popped up on my FB feed AND I GOT SO EXCITED. It looked super fun and silly with mud and feats of strength and viking hats and beer. But it's also a week after the meet I was looking at for May. Then I got really sad. I immediately felt a similar sensation to being restricted in my diet... I can't do the fun thing because of training XYZ feeling XYZ energy, recovery, etc. etc.

The more I thought about it, the more I asked myself... why do you have to train so seriously for PL comps? Why does that have to take priority over everything else? Why can't everything happily coexist and do all the things and be fit enough to be able to go and enjoy and have the fun? I don't have national or international aspirations for competition really, I just want to be strong as I get older so I can continue doing all the fun things. So why compete at all then? Well, it's a rush for sure, challenging, and good to push myself on occasion - and super awesome to be thrown into the community of people who also love the lift life. I think I went a little cray last time around because of my bad all or nothing relationship with competition. I lost sight of why I actually do what I'm doing and felt crushed by it.

SO. TLDR: I took a look at other dates for comps. There's another one in driving distance a few weeks earlier in May, so if I want, I can do that. But I do NOT have to arrange my life around it. I do not have to go to extremes. I do not have to treat competition as #1 priority because in reality, it's just not. Not for me. Maybe I'll even do it later in the summer IDK, and I'm not going to stress it right now.

I can love lifting and not love the sport of powerlifting above all else, and thats okay and doesn't mean I don't belong here.

This statement makes me extremely happy :) 

And.... the tiramisu, of course.

(especially for you @AugustaAdaByron

hhT4bTNl.jpg

• Like 14

Great news about your dad!

12 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I can love lifting and not love the sport of powerlifting above all else, and thats okay and doesn't mean I don't belong here.

I hope so, as I know nothing about the sport of powerlifting, yet I feel welcome here :) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RedStone said:

The more I thought about it, the more I asked myself... why do you have to train so seriously for PL comps? Why does that have to take priority over everything else? Why can't everything happily coexist and do all the things and be fit enough to be able to go and enjoy and have the fun? I don't have national or international aspirations for competition really, I just want to be strong as I get older so I can continue doing all the fun things. So why compete at all then? Well, it's a rush for sure, challenging, and good to push myself on occasion - and super awesome to be thrown into the community of people who also love the lift life. I think I went a little cray last time around because of my bad all or nothing relationship with competition. I lost sight of why I actually do what I'm doing and felt crushed by it.

My thoughts:

• PL doesn't have to be the only thing. But it's a matter of determining what is your priority. If your priority is to do multiple things and have fun doing it, then do it! 
  • The reason to compete or to do warrior dash or any other event is to have a goal. Working towards goals is important. But you have to figure out what the goal is. Is the goal of competing to have fun and challenge yourself, or is the goal to be an elite lifter? Your goal will determine what your training will look like. 

Am I rambling? Maybe. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Knowing yourself is paramount in an environment that would kinda like you to adopt their priorities--good enough priorities, sure, but not YOURS. You sure can lift and not compete (all the time).

Or else I am in some kinda trouble over here...

• Like 4

Yup, slowly turning to a Ranger :P

Joking aside, competitions are cool for pushing yourself and seeing where you stand in comparison to the rest of the pack (same way I'm doing the CF Open even though I suck). If however it gets more stressful than fun, it's a sure signal to take it easy. Unless you're a professional athlete, of course.

Also, you're pretty hot and look way younger than you actually are B)

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Great news about your dad!

I hope so, as I know nothing about the sport of powerlifting, yet I feel welcome here :) 

<3 Thank you! And yes, it's totally absurd and sad that I realize it's a big part of my issue LOL I didn't know it was a sport when I first started, and I'm not 100% sure where this nonsense in my head started, but it has a everything to do with life long insecurities and not the excellent folks here.... read: I'm worthless unless I am a champion, I am unloved unless I achieve. FALSE. Truth? I am not left out because I have my own desires and goals, and they are not invalid because they are different.

24 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My thoughts:

• PL doesn't have to be the only thing. But it's a matter of determining what is your priority. If your priority is to do multiple things and have fun doing it, then do it! 
  • The reason to compete or to do warrior dash or any other event is to have a goal. Working towards goals is important. But you have to figure out what the goal is. Is the goal of competing to have fun and challenge yourself, or is the goal to be an elite lifter? Your goal will determine what your training will look like. 

Am I rambling? Maybe. 

GOALS: Have a good time, all the time. Be physically capable of this as I age, seeing as how much of what I find fun involves athletic and physical endeavors.

24 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Knowing yourself is paramount in an environment that would kinda like you to adopt their priorities--good enough priorities, sure, but not YOURS. You sure can lift and not compete (all the time).

Or else I am in some kinda trouble over here...

But the Kool Aid is delicious! 

jPlcvv0.gif

Ah, but yes. This is an acute observation that I will be sharing, your words are pretty. It's something there has been a fair bit of dialogue about... and I'm grateful that I have this space to talk things out... the second I wrote it I finally had an inkling about what has been twisting me up since the meet. Glad to have something to chew on...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Yup, slowly turning to a Ranger :P

Joking aside, competitions are cool for pushing yourself and seeing where you stand in comparison to the rest of the pack (same way I'm doing the CF Open even though I suck). If however it gets more stressful than fun, it's a sure signal to take it easy. Unless you're a professional athlete, of course.

Also, you're pretty hot and look way younger than you actually are B)

Hehehe... I seriously just blushed down to my toes :redface: :redface: :redface: 

EtGeE6t.gif

I think the competition issue comes from, well, my competition issues lol I was a competitive gymnast with a low national ranking and I kind of hated it. My parents saw potential early on, and my coaches saw my size/power ratio and everyone sort of pushed me into it... I loved doing gymnastics but hated competition... then again, I got validation from mom and dad and coaches and strangers when I did the thing, so I was pretty torn up about it, training 6 days a week and loving/hating it. So now, as an adult, I feel the pull from knowing - yes, competition makes me hella stressed >vs< you're an adult now and you can do it on your own terms, you can overcome the stress as a mental challenge and just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm hoping that acknowledging that my goals don't involve working towards rankings or being an elite lifter is helpful in the enjoyment factor... :P Time will tell! I figure the best thing I can do is keep exploring and seeing where the cards land.

• Like 6

Parents pushing children is a huuuuuge topic. Skipping that one for now so we don't derail the discussion, being a mediocre crossfitter I've been through a similar headspace. Mainly wondered what's the point since I'm not competitive and will never be good enough. By know I've come down to two conlcusions. One, I need competitions to keep me in line. Preparation isn't a burden to me, it's a purpose that gives me focus to stay at it instead of "generally training". My best results so far have come while preparing for something (No1 being before my first ever OCR) and my worst slips when I thought that I had everything figured out. Two, I've decided that my only opponent is me. If I do better than the previous time, if I finish feeling like I'm about to die thus knowing I gave it my everything, I'm satisfied.

Just my $0.02

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Parents pushing children is a huuuuuge topic. Skipping that one for now so we don't derail the discussion, being a mediocre crossfitter I've been through a similar headspace. Mainly wondered what's the point since I'm not competitive and will never be good enough. By know I've come down to two conlcusions. One, I need competitions to keep me in line. Preparation isn't a burden to me, it's a purpose that gives me focus to stay at it instead of "generally training". My best results so far have come while preparing for something (No1 being before my first ever OCR) and my worst slips when I thought that I had everything figured out. Two, I've decided that my only opponent is me. If I do better than the previous time, if I finish feeling like I'm about to die thus knowing I gave it my everything, I'm satisfied.

Just my $0.02

Yeah, when my head is straight I definitely feel the drive towards besting the last personal best and that is GOOD. Perfect way to stay goal oriented and inching along without driving myself nuts in the process. When I really think about it, what I seem to REALLY LOVE is the day to day grind, getting in there, spending the hours in the gym or outside,  just moving... living that life...

At the end of last year I had decided I was going to break up this year's training blocks to focus on different activities I wanted to try. I was already committed to the PL comp, but this first wave was to be for OCRs with the Spartan already booked in June. After the meet, I totally lost sight of that and became fanatical about my failure. (Not failure! At all! But it felt like that...) I feel like the fog is starting to clear and I'm remembering the original plan LOL

Yes, I absolutely can book competitions during the peak part of my cycle since I do those regardless... no, I can not measure my worth against them, and #1 priority should be to have fun with them. (Maybe I should arrange these always with nerds!!!) I just have to remember that if I'm showing up and working hard... that's where my goals lie. Always working towards a better me. (DAMN that feels corny :P)

0AeQGqF.gif 

• Like 4

So much to like here.    Good news on Dad!   Much relief.    Epiphany on thoughts and stuff.   Slowly becoming ranger.  (Yesssss.)  Looking younger than you are.  (highfives).   And oh god that tiramisu.     Apparently I should go to Tank's thread for the entree, and yours for dessert.   I am doomed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Maybe. Sometimes the reason is to have something to work towards. But sometimes... IT IS JUST FOR FUN.

And that is ok.

just-have-fun.gif

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

So much to like here.    Good news on Dad!   Much relief.    Epiphany on thoughts and stuff.   Slowly becoming ranger.  (Yesssss.)  Looking younger than you are.  (highfives).   And oh god that tiramisu.     Apparently I should go to Tank's thread for the entree, and yours for dessert.   I am doomed.

YAAAAY HAIIIIIII 

Donuts and poptarts mostly :D But I got em!!!

1 hour ago, raptron said:

But sometimes... IT IS JUST FOR FUN.

And that is ok.

How did I forget this? I can't believe I forgot this. Please smack me around next time I forget this :P 

SUDDEN BRAIN FART: Andy Dwyer/Chris Pratt CareBear Fun Totem. There's a whole lot of silly/smart/goofy/fitness/fun in there. When I'm stressing over my workout I can ask myself - what would Andy Dwyer do? 

EYCIlWH.gif 

And when I'm rocking it hard and testing my limits? Well, you know the Pratt is up for it...

DUcMq0Q.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sjard said:

Wooohoo f*ing RedStone is in da house!

ULEegzZ.gif

And I missed you earlier! Short answer, no, I have never worked as a ninja. Long answer, yes. Yes I have... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Your journal looks beautiful. I just had to like it.

Oh, and you look beautiful, too. Keep that smile. =)

You're amaze girl <3 Very happy to see you and I hope you're feeling better!!! :):):) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedStone said:

This!  Totally this. I have been here (NF) a long while, but it took years to convince myself (or for fellow nerds to convince me) to try weights. When I finally did start again for real, I LOVED it. But I'm not the intense macro counting program following variety of warrior. In fact I've never considered myself a warrior and don't really feel like I fit in the warrior forum (I've always rangered) but the lifting is probably my favorite.  I just started again and it's basically starting over from bar for me (*cry*) but at least I started. 

I'm with @raptron - I just want to have fun!!!

• Like 2

Tiramisu! <3 Now you've got me thinking about what kind of cake I want for my birthday. :P

Those are also some really good insights.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Tiramisu! <3 Now you've got me thinking about what kind of cake I want for my birthday. :P

Those are also some really good insights.

Ooooo yes, TREAT YO SELF!!! It's so good to be able to talk things out with people who get it. I feel like even when I'm at a low I can work things out here and before I know it I'm back on my sunshine feet. Amazing the difference a day can make!!

8 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Jep, I'm feeling better. Signing up for duty. ^^

Are you in for some more art this month?

Oh good :) Finally! This winter will not end LOL

I'm always up for art! Started a Bujo last week and treating that with special care... may have to include some pages ;) Also doing some drawings for a Shadowrun game so maybe that too :D 

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Cake.

Yes? Please?

5xj1Vbi.gif

• Like 1

AIGHT. I'm still soul searching, but feeling peaceful about it. Zero week remains focused on remaining focused. SO. Back to business!

Workouts are getting longer, 1.5 - 2 hours now, I assume cause hyper wave, and I'm cool with that. I want to take my time with this phase and get as much information from my body as possible while the weight is light enough. There are some mental barriers, but it's cool to be working through them.

T&F

2X Activation Circuit

12X Banded GMs

12X Banded Dislocates (I always do like 3easi side to side also)

12X Banded Face Pulls

10X X Bodyeasi

Deficit Deadlifts

(Excellent form correction on depth of hips)

5X 95#

4X 115#

3X 135#

AMRAP-3

8X 150#

8X 150#

Hi Bar Squat

5X 65#

5X 95#

AMRAP-3

10X 120#

10X 120#

Wide Grip Bench

5X 45#

5X 65#

6X 75#

6X 75#

Hi Bar GMs

5X 75#

3X 95#

10X 120#

10X 115#

(I was afraid I took the first set poverty and deloaded. They felt the same, but I shot video of 115 and it looked ok. Won't deload next time.

Abwheel

3X 15

Superset

Hanging Crunch

3X 15

So that was fine. Today is snow day in the north east and we're no exception. Very strange because yesterday was so warm it was tank top outside and ranger panties at the gym. But at least we knew it was coming. Here's a comparison from the same spot lol:

qt3J24bm.jpg 4A4sOYMm.jpg

• Like 7