• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan - tough Taddea

I have somehow jacked up my shoulder. This happened on Friday and I thought it was doing fine and then I pushed off of it getting off the floor yesterday and it tweaked it. And then benching made it worse. So chances are I'll have to skip barbell club on Wednesday. But I can still go to my local gym and do mobility, cardio, and squats. And squats are my weakest lift so I can try not to cry about my shoulder. I think it should be okay by Saturday for our next session. 

Barbell Club (Week 3)

Monday, February 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM

I had to skip my upper body accessories, of which most of them are. 

Mobility Warm-Up

Set 1: 15 min

Squat

Set 1: 45 lb × 5

Set 2: 65 lb × 4

Set 3: 65 lb × 4

Set 4: 65 lb × 4

Set 5: 65 lb × 4

Bench Press

Set 1: 45 lb × 5

Set 2: 55 lb × 8

Set 3: 55 lb × 7

Set 4: 55 lb × 6

Set 5: 55 lb × 5

(Sets of 8 should have been easy but they were fucked.) 

Deadlift

Set 1: 135 lb × 4

Set 2: 135 lb × 4

Set 3: 135 lb × 4

(Somehow these felt easy *eye roll* wtf, body?)

TRX Reverse Lunge 

Set 1: 8 reps (per leg)

Set 2: 8 reps

Cycling

Set 1: 4 min

Notes: HIIT 10 seconds on 20 seconds off

I'm also still unclear about when you are supposed to ice an injury and when you are supposed to use heat. I used the google and it was still unclear. 

P.S. BOOK CLUB STUFF. The book for March that I requested a week ago still isn't being transferred to my library. Yet the book for April I requested yesterday is already "in transit". The April one is Don Quixote which is like 900+ pages, so I guess that is okay. But still, GRRRR. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm also still unclear about when you are supposed to ice an injury and when you are supposed to use heat. I used the google and it was still unclear. 

P.S. BOOK CLUB STUFF. The book for March that I requested a week ago still isn't being transferred to my library. Yet the book for April I requested yesterday is already "in transit". The April one is Don Quixote which is like 900+ pages, so I guess that is okay. But still, GRRRR. 

Ice and ibuprofen to bring down swelling, heat to relax the joint; that's why my chiro yells at me anyway. He also warns that head on your spine can exacerbate a misalignment issue, but if it's a tissue thing, just do cycles of ice and heat and keep up on your pain killers.

Library woes. My hold on guards guards is still out. Think it'll come in on time for the NF book club? 

4 hours ago, Laghail said:

Ice and ibuprofen to bring down swelling, heat to relax the joint; that's why my chiro yells at me anyway. He also warns that head on your spine can exacerbate a misalignment issue, but if it's a tissue thing, just do cycles of ice and heat and keep up on your pain killers.

I don't know if it's swollen or not, I mean I can't see my back. It hurts to move my shoulder, primarily if I move it backwards, like I'm trying to make a tight back for lifting. I assume it's a muscle issue and not a joint issue. Mainly I just need to not be stupid and give it adequate rest. Like the rest of us I hate when I can't lift. 

4 hours ago, Laghail said:

Library woes. My hold on guards guards is still out. Think it'll come in on time for the NF book club? 

4 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

raw

I don't know what that book is but I assume it must be something super nerdy if you haven't received it yet. Like SUPER nerdy. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I don't know what that book is but I assume it must be something super nerdy if you haven't received it yet. Like SUPER nerdy. 

the look was because that was December's book for the NF Discworld book club. It's February.

Guards! Guards! is a Terry Pratchett book from the ever abundant Discworld novels. Just started into it when NF made a book club for them but i think most nerds read them at like age 13.

• Like 1

My shoulder feels 25% better today. It's telling me that if I don't do anything stupid, you know, like pick up and move heavy things, I should be fine to go lift on Saturday.

So, as much as it pains me, I'm just going to do mobility and cardio tonight. I'm not even going to squat, sigh. I has the sads, but I want it to heal quickly. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

So, as much as it pains me, I'm just going to do mobility and cardio tonight. I'm not even going to squat, sigh. I has the sads, but I want it to heal quickly. 

That really sucks... :( But listen to your shoulder... Let it heal first and then lift aaaaaaall the stuffs. 

Yay for it feeling better though! :D 

58 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

That really sucks... :( But listen to your shoulder... Let it heal first and then lift aaaaaaall the stuffs. 

QFT!

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My shoulder feels 25% better today. It's telling me that if I don't do anything stupid, you know, like pick up and move heavy things, I should be fine to go lift on Saturday.

The smart route is the way to go, I took the other route and there is a detour with a chiropractor and icing every night for 3+ weeks and still no OHP involved... :(

4 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

QFT!

2 hours ago, TiffanyD said:

The smart route is the way to go, I took the other route and there is a detour with a chiropractor and icing every night for 3+ weeks and still no OHP involved... :(

It's actually feeling even better now than it was when I woke up. So I am hopeful I didn't do anything major to it. And I really really don't want to have to stop benching for a while, so I'd rather just let it rest. 

I debated ice vs heat and went with heat and at the least it didn't make it worse. 

I'm wondering whether I should eat more for 2 weeks to help it heal or if that is not really necessary since it isn't a major injury. I'm not talking about a mini-bulk, I just mean slowly increasing calories into a maintenance (tracking with the scale) and then back down again. 

I googled just out of curiousity and I'll be reading these two things from precision nutrition: 

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-for-injury-part-3 

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-for-injury-recovery-infographic

• Like 2

Ugh shoulders :( I Hope yours feels better soon. Even squatting hurts the shoulder for me so it is somewhat involved (Well, unless you use that other special bar whose name I forgot)

On 2/14/2017 at 2:36 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I don't know if it's swollen or not, I mean I can't see my back. It hurts to move my shoulder, primarily if I move it backwards, like I'm trying to make a tight back for lifting. I assume it's a muscle issue and not a joint issue. Mainly I just need to not be stupid and give it adequate rest. Like the rest of us I hate when I can't lift. 

I'm sorry! Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It's actually feeling even better now than it was when I woke up. So I am hopeful I didn't do anything major to it. And I really really don't want to have to stop benching for a while, so I'd rather just let it rest. 

I debated ice vs heat and went with heat and at the least it didn't make it worse.

Yay!

I gave in to my rough day yesterday and picked up a pizza. I was fine with it. What's one time of an extra 200 calories? Until I weighed myself this morning and gained 2# of bloat overnight. Now I kind of regret it. And my pants are uncomfortably tight. This is how I feel right now:

13942371271b75ef1adace328e2c0808.jpg

#pizzagains?

18 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Poor shoulder :(

11 hours ago, Haikoo said:

Ugh shoulders :( I Hope yours feels better soon. Even squatting hurts the shoulder for me so it is somewhat involved (Well, unless you use that other special bar whose name I forgot)

11 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I'm sorry! Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

Yay!

Thanks. I just wish I had a better sense of what I did to it. Oh well, at least it doesn't feel like it will be a long lasting injury. 

• Like 3

I'm making beef stew in the crockpot right now (I mean it's in the crockpot and I'm at work) and if I don't type it up I'll never remember what I put in there later: 

2.5# of beef cut up into chunks ( I think, I forgot to weigh it.) 

3 cups of water

2 beef bouillon cubes

3 tb of tomato paste*

1 tsp of garlic powder

1 tsp of onion powder

1/2 tsp of pepper

1-2 tb of rosemary (had some in the freezer, frozen, chopped up from fresh) 

2 tb of worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup of red wine

1 onion chopped

2 giant stalks of celery chopped

2-3 potatoes chopped

small bag of baby carrots

1 cup of frozen peas

(added at the end to taste: salt, balsamic vinegar, some extra tomato paste)

*instead of freezing leftover tomato paste in the silcone ice cube tray, I've taken to putting it in a quart freezer bag and freezing it into a flat sheet. It's easy to break off chunks and I don't have to deal with freezer burn on cubes. So all tomato paste use is an estimate. 

VACi2vl.gif 

• Like 5

I was looking for hiking groups and I found the local sierra club does 5 mile hikes around here regularly. But I think I should probably work up to that on my own before I join a group. i don't want hiking DOMS to break me for lifting. I just think being outsides periodically is good for my mental health. My hike last Sunday was a little over 2 miles. So maybe now I have goal? 

I looked at my steps/distance in my phone to track my hike this past Sunday. What is the best app for tracking hikes? I don't want anything super fancy, just distance/date/how long the walk took. 

Edited: found this list but still appreciate personal feedback ! http://www.atlasandboots.com/best-hiking-apps/ 

• Like 1

i used to use mapmyrun for walks/hikes/runs and that was fine but i have so little storage on my phone i deleted it. plus i think it's owned by under armor and i've been unhappy with that company as of late!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CourtnieMarie said:

plus i think it's owned by under armor and i've been unhappy with that company as of late!

me too!

I'm going to try AllTrails first, it lets you save routes at local parks and also walk the routes other people have saved. I also like that it lets you take pictures of your route and save them to your route. 

This is especially helpful as my local start park isn't like one big loop, it has all kinds of separate loops and turns and ways to get lost. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i used to use mapmyrun for walks/hikes/runs and that was fine but i have so little storage on my phone i deleted it. plus i think it's owned by under armor and i've been unhappy with that company as of late!

Do you hike or mainly run? I have trail running shoes from Asics that I use for outdoors, but I don't have any kind of hiking type boots. I assume if I progress from these simpler 2-3 mile trail hikes and start doing some of the kind of more intense hiking I will want hiking boots?

I've also heard about walking sticks. Which definitely would have been helpful last Sunday as I was going down half frozen/muddy hills. Keep in mind this is Michigan, so it's not like I'm climbing mountains. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Do you hike or mainly run? I have trail running shoes from Asics that I use for outdoors, but I don't have any kind of hiking type boots. I assume if I progress from these simpler 2-3 mile trail hikes and start doing some of the kind of more intense hiking I will want hiking boots?

I've also heard about walking sticks. Which definitely would have been helpful last Sunday as I was going down half frozen/muddy hills. Keep in mind this is Michigan, so it's not like I'm climbing mountains. 

i hike and "run"! i use my merrell men's barefoot run trail glove 2 shoes for pretty much everything. they take some getting used to as you can feel the rocks, etc sometimes through them.

if it's going to be really snowy or muddy out, i'll wear my LLBean snow sneakers or even just my duck boots as i'm so used to barefoot shoes.

i say go with what you are comfortable in.

8 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

... merrell men's barefoot run trail glove 2 shoes for pretty much everything.

I loved these shoes.  Use them for all my liftings.

1 minute ago, Br0din said:

yesssss! i bought three pairs once i realized how much i loved them. still working through pair 2! i hate trying to find new shoes that work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i hike and "run"! i use my merrell men's barefoot run trail glove 2 shoes for pretty much everything. they take some getting used to as you can feel the rocks, etc sometimes through them.

if it's going to be really snowy or muddy out, i'll wear my LLBean snow sneakers or even just my duck boots as i'm so used to barefoot shoes.

i say go with what you are comfortable in.

4 minutes ago, Br0din said:

Unfortunately anything barefoot style won't work for me outdoors. Because of my nerve damage every little thing is felt and can be painful. Like even when I step on an electrical cord in the house barefoot I am annoyed. HOWEVER, I hadn't considered the LLBean brand. So I'll check out what they have now. Thanks!