• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan - tough Taddea

Last night was (thai) curried spicy chicken with basil. I think the name is a misnomer because when I think curry I think indian, but what do I know. 

http://www.spiciefoodie.com/2013/12/03/curried-spicy-chicken-and-basil/ 

I cooked the chicken to get sear. Then did the pea pods and thick parts of green onion with the other half of the seasoning mix. Then added in the green onion, shredded carrot, basil, and baby spinach. Rice instead of noodles because we just had spaghetti on Tuesday. And then for no reason I added Sriracha because if anything is bae, Sriracha is bae. 

pBM7UU9QKeXWZgYYlmp3ZNbYU6IqeSCN3vVRy-0MXsBT0ejw7b_wj_ximUXD-tX5DGm6F4s8zP_aosgnd4U9ZdYG3e9lGXXOdQiRTxqYR7FUZrt3aE9ovG4Xd1wKKh7CGapX-AG7hOCKNBU5XPJ3yxG4BSfnu5bY0SS6pCE0-lGx-ycGmI-3ldqDp-fE_eByzfA--rDdxdkqSyiLsAWPo31q7IoEn8g5z59odRmS7ppVeeC6-BLSoZ5nIoedEUgjKjb9r3bEAnjA

Yes, cardio is BORING. Hence my doing Sunday hikes.

I'm trying to add in cardio Thursdays for 30 min and it didn't happen yesterday. I know it's cliche to say I will start next week, but I am really going to. It was so cold yesterday I just didn't feel like leaving the house after dinner. It'll be easier next winter when I'm in the "cardio Thursday" habit. It shouldn't be this cold again for the rest of this season.

I asked my bodybuilder buddy who helped me write my programming how often he does cardio when cutting this week. He told me 45 mins 4-5x/week. On top of lifting.

I tried it Thursday. 20 mins before and 20 mins after. Sucked. Was going to try to do so again today but I wasn't doing jack shit after doing the warrior mini.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

I asked my bodybuilder buddy who helped me write my programming how often he does cardio when cutting this week. He told me 45 mins 4-5x/week. On top of lifting. emoji52.png

I tried it Thursday. 20 mins before and 20 mins after. Sucked. Was going to try to do so again today but I wasn't doing jack shit after doing the warrior mini.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah but what percent body fat is your bodybuilding buddy? You can probably get away with doing a lot less than that. 

• Like 1

Bodybuilders, when cardio-ing, will often do a lot of time at quite a low intensity to try and preserve muscle mass. However... if you aren't planning to be a competitive bodybuilder then doing less time at a higher intensity will also work.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Yeah but what percent body fat is your bodybuilding buddy? You can probably get away with doing a lot less than that. 

Good point.  He's probably 15%...ish?  He hasn't competed in years. 

• Like 2

Saturday BB Club
Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Pause Squats
Set 1: 45 lb × 5
Set 2: 55 lb × 5
Set 3: 55 lb × 5
Set 4: 55 lb × 5

Do you want torture cardio? Then I highly recommend 3 second pause squats. It was haaaaaard yet satisfying. I kind of can't wait to be tortured again in a week. 

Feet Up Bench
Set 1: 45 lb × 8
Set 2: 55 lb × 10
Set 3: 55 lb × 9
Set 4: 50 lb × 9

MOAR cardio. My triceps died on me. May they RIP.

Hip Thrust (Bands)
Set 1: 10 reps
Set 2: 10 reps
Set 3: 10 reps

Notes: red band

Need to re-watch Brett's video on these. I felt a bit like I was hip flailing.

Lat Pulldown
Set 1: 60 lb × 10
Set 2: 70 lb × 8

Bird Dog
Set 1: 10 reps
Set 2: 10 reps

Sled Work
Set 1: BW (+135 lb) × 1
Set 2: BW (+135 lb) × 1

Per usual each rep is to one end of the indoor turf and back. I did push and then pulled it back behind me. I don't include the weight of the sled/poles/rope in my tracking. 

• Like 7

Last night was Saltimbocca (turkey) Meatballs with a bacon white wine sauce and mashed cauliflower. I added a little bit of potato to the mash for flavor and binding. 

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/10/turkey-saltimbocca-meatballs-low-carb-gluten-free.html

I did cook all the bacon until crisp but I decided to simmer the already cooked bacon in the sauce after for flavor. So it looks less done than it really was. There is also bacon in the meatballs!

fBpnrm71wk3sUJl4FfpXQ3R4UyIlnYN22NpyZhj_

Today is Sunday hike day, aka cardio time. And I need to do my mobility!!!

• Like 8

Whelp, I had a muscle spasm yesterday. It's a troublesome spot of scar tissue that sometimes causes me problems/SI joint pain. So I skipped my hike and I'm skipping the gym today. I am hopeful I can get back in there on Wednesday. I've troubleshooted this enough to know that some glute releases are usually the trick to becoming mobile again. 

I have a noon lunch meeting and then I'll probably go home after that to lay around with the heating pad and massage my butt. >.> 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Ouch!  A rest is definitely useful.  Feel better soon!

How do you do this?

I dig my fingers into the part of one's ass that is not bony and dig around deep till I find where it hurts the most and then dig and massage some more. Usually the next day I find relief. 

I think this is the piriformis, but I'm not an anatomy expert, I just go by feel. 

Edited to add: foam rolling and tennis balls don't work for me because you can't get in there properly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I dig my fingers into the part of one's ass that ...

You know, when you are just scanning over the preview list of the people you follow, this one tends to pop out. lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peelout said:

You know, when you are just scanning over the preview list of the people you follow, this one tends to pop out. lol

I'm glad I could pepper your day with some color. :devilish:

2 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

I see what you mean. Thanks for sharing!

No problem!

Back is like 80% better. i am hopefully I will be able to go the gym tomorrow even if it is just for accessories. 

Mobility since Sunday has basically just been lots of butt massage to try to release my glutes, but it's clearly working/worth it. Even though it's painful! If you have never tried to release your glutes, I don't recommend it. 

This is the last week of this challenge! 

Reviewing my goals for honing my focus this last week: 

Do the Program - this is been fine except for when injured but not my fault. Nothing to change for this week. 

Daily Mobility - I'm missing about 1x per week. I need to shape up with this for this week. And I'll need to repeat it next month. The habit just isn't there yet. 

Be frugal - a mostly A+ on this. But grocery spending is a little out of control this past week. I need groceries tomorrow and will tighten up the list. 

Work goals - To-do list and catching up on old email is going well. But I could still stand to focus better and avoid my phone/FB/NF more during work hours. I'm getting the work done but I could get MORE work done. My boss and I are discussing future work opportunities for me and if I tighten up my act I think it will happen. 

• Like 7

Quit being such a tight ass and stretch those glutes!

It's one of the areas I'm working on to improve my lotus pose for meditation. Pigeon pose FTW!

But agreed, it's a pain in the ass.

• Like 6

Saw a great work-related tip today about changing your self-talk. This could be about anything, but in my case it speaks to me about stopping thinking "I want to be badass at my job" and start thinking "I AM badass at my job" and then behave as such. 

tumblr_inline_mv4ffvIkID1rg0g8s.gif 

tumblr_ndx02oGVua1s9362xo1_500.gif

Speaking of asses... 

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

Quit being such a tight ass and stretch those glutes!

It's one of the areas I'm working on to improve my lotus pose for meditation. Pigeon pose FTW!

But agreed, it's a pain in the ass.

I am so terrible at pigeon pose. Once my ass cooperates I want to add this into my gym warm-up. Tonight will be the deep massages and then simple stretches/glute activation exercises. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Saw a great work-related tip today about changing your self-talk. This could be about anything, but in my case it speaks to me about stopping thinking "I want to be badass at my job" and start thinking "I AM badass at my job" and then behave as such. 

Speaking of asses... 

You read t-nation.com too?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Br0din said:

You read t-nation.com too?

You quoted too soon, I just added gifs! 

And no, I saw this on an article about strategies for working more effectively. 

If there is a pun about t-nation in your reply I missed it. Maybe I need more coffee? 

I can only assume they had an article about acting like you are a badass in your workouts instead of just striving to be one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Br0din said:

Nope,  This article was posted today.  I thought this was what you were talking about.  

I sort-of do that. When the going gets tough (cardio sucks, reps are heavy, having a bad day and don't feel like finishing my workout) I do self-talk about how far I have come in my fitness progress. I remind myself that I'm tough and I've survived things 1000000X worse (like death! CPR twice!) and I this elliptical machine/iron weight is no where near as a tough as I am and I am going to beat it. It doesn't usually involve a lot of cussing, but sometimes it does. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i pigeon pose for 30s-1m each side during my squat rest periods :D i hate wasting time.

look at you being all efficient and shit

7 minutes ago, ixaera said:

ugh glute spasm solidarity, hope it's lots better soon

thanks! it's more like a back spasm that is relieved via glute work. but I have all the back empathy for you. It was quite bad on Sunday. Luckily mine is a chronic issue I know how to tackle. I had spine physical therapy for it twice 'back in the day'.

I know your spine stuff has been terrible! 

giphy.gif 

• Like 1

My SI joint area is sore today like it's a regular flare up vs the full on muscle spasm that I actually experienced. So I'm going to go to the gym today. From past experiences the thing that aggravates it when I have a flare up is single leg work (lunges/steps/etc) so I'll avoid those today. Those would normally be in my program. I'll ask coach if I can do hip thrusts instead. 

Last night I made stuffed chicken with just random stuff I had in the fridge. Tofu, frozen spinach, green onion, cherry tomatoes (I pre-roasted them), garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and egg as binder. Side of sliced roasted sweet potatoes. The salad is bagged salad topped with avocado. Pre-prepared salad is kind of my go-to when I need a veg and the meal is already enough work as it is. 

Before you think all I do is cook complicated stuff... I eat the exact same thing for breakfast every week day. And then lunches are just dinner leftovers. 

This was the smallest piece of chicken because I was already full. I promise I'm eating my proteinzzzz. :applause:

wAtoUpl0WOlO6qO5T0Q1w5zUKmgUwkM2HZD_FNAN

• Like 5