imprimis5's Big and Little Pictures

imprimis5

Regarding kids at the wedding:  We are struggling with this as well.  We can only have 125 at our reception and we have to plan for 40 of them to be children who won't eat the $20+ plate of food or be able to help us empty our keg.

Let me know if you figure out a polite way of telling people to leave them at home. 

Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

11 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Let me know if you figure out a polite way of telling people to leave them at home. 

• In order to allow all guests, including parents, an evening of relaxation we have chosen for our wedding day to be an adult only occasion. We hope this advance notice means you are still able to share our big day and will enjoy having the evening off!
  • Children at the ceremony, we'd love them on the scene. Reception time, however, is an adult's only theme.
  • To give all our guests the opportunity to let their hair down and have a good time without having to worry about little eyes and ears we politely request no children.
  • While we love to watch the children run and play, this is an adults only kind of day.
  • Sweet dreams to children under 16
  • Or the one we opted for: "No kids"

As a point of note, if you're going to do this, make sure you're consistent with it. If you say "no one under 16," that means even your bride's sister who "absolutely could not find a sitter." If you make exceptions, you make enemies.

• Like 9

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Week 0 Friday Update

Yesterday was pretty awful. Awful everywhere but the gym, I suppose. I decided to leave the office early and go work from home for the second half of my day, after a stop at the gym. This was because I wasn't able to focus in my office, and I thought having my dogs and partner nearby would help. Spoilers: it didn't. When I got home, turns out he's had an awful day, too, and is posted up in the living room playing video games. I didn't manage to get hardly anything done for work because of the video game noises. Just ended up reading the whole time. He proceeded to play from sometime before I got home around noon until 8:30 at night, taking two twenty minute breaks to help me take the dogs out. It was more than a little frustrating, and we had a chat about we need to try and be aware of one another. He didn't even realise I wasn't doing well, despite my having told him in words when I got home, which means he wasn't actually listening to me. So after the chat, he shut off the game and snuggled up on the couch with me to watch some Venture Bros. The rest of the night was better.

The gym was great, though. I've just started using a pre-workout, and this time I really feel like it made a difference. I breezed through deadlifts and OHP (Ok, not "breezed," exactly. You know what I mean.), and kept cardio pace for my rows. Good stuff. Then I drank a protein shake afterward and felt amazing.

Today's normally a trainer day. However, he's neglecting me to go take his stupid GRE. Ugh. :-P I'm going to go push myself and try to be amazing anyway. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm feeling a little bit better in general today, so that should help.

Big Picture Challenge

• Wedding Planning: On Monday, January 30th, 2017 my boyfriend and I proposed to one another. While we're adorable and all, simply being cute does not make plans for us. We must make actual arrangements for this to happen. We're not having an elaborate ceremony or reception; rather, two of our best friends are accompanying to the courthouse on an upcoming afternoon for a civic marriage. After which, we'll meet up with a few of our close friends and their partners in a very informal environment for lots of my boss's home brew and board games until everyone leaves. This requires a few things to be planned ASAP, as we're shooting for May of this year.
    • Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
    • Arrange for our friends to be at the marriage.
      • Holding pattern for a specific date.
    • Rent a facility that can accommodate up to 60 people and let us carry in our own alcohol.
      • Looks like I'm taking a trip to bang on the door of the venue I've been trying to call this week, since they haven't returned my calls. I would just give up on them, if it weren't proving so difficult to find a location that meets all of our requirements.
    • Set a guest list.
      • No paring has happened.
    • Invite people.
      • Not really doing this officially until I have a date.
    • Optional Bonus: Arrange to buy a kilt for the wedding that I can afford and be happy with for a long time to come. I'm going to be super picky, and will not get anything before I compromise.
      • Holding pattern. Looking. Dreaming.
  • Daily Food Report: Recording my daily food intake has been one of the most helpful things I've done for months now. I'm going to continue this. Still eating mostly paleo, with the occasional allowance here and there. Bold items are not paleo. Iced Coffee is never paleo if it's been sweetened; baked goods, protein shakes, candy, and ice cream are never paleo. Candy is a newcomer to the list. I've unfortunately developed a little bit of a sweet tooth and started sneaking the odd orange slice or gummy worm, so I need to nip that in the bud. Protein shakes are also a newcomer to the list, as I've noticed I'm consistently about 30g of protein shy in a day. I'll probably only be consuming them after workouts, so just one a day.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs
    • Lunch: Chicken meatloaf muffin, parsnip mash, steamed broccoli
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, steamed broccoli, pickled beets and onions
    • Snacks: A few almonds, 90% chocolate
    • Protein Shake: Yup
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, almost unsweetened
    • Baked Goods: A slice of my fiancé's homemade chocolate cake
    • Ice Cream: A small scoop of vanilla with the cake
    • Candy: *mutters* Yes. Some. Too much.

Little Picture Challenge

• Dip Improvement: Do 3x10 dips, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
  • Pull-Up Improvement: Do 3x10 pull-ups, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Yoga: Do yoga every night, with at least five a week being full half-hour sessions.
    • Shoulder mobility.
  • Squat Improvement: Do 4x5 squats with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Bench Press Improvement: Do 4x5 bench press with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
  • Deadlift Improvement: Do 4x5 deadlift with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • No PRs or anything. But still did great.
  • Running: Run at least a mile twice during this Challenge.
    • 1/2
  • Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.
    • This is a tougher exercise than I expected. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
  • Like 5

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

5 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

I've just started using a pre-workout, and this time I really feel like it made a difference.

I've only used the stuff once, when I was about to pull a Mack truck.  I was hyperactive for about four hours.  Good shit. 

Sorry you had a shitty day.  I hope the fiance can be a little more aware of you and how you're doing in the future. 

Thanks for the wording on the No Kids thing.  I'm not sure if we'll end up putting that in there but it's nice to know how if we do. 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

54 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

I've only used the stuff once, when I was about to pull a Mack truck.  I was hyperactive for about four hours.  Good shit. 

I honestly don't "feel" much of anything. I just notice that I'm able to push myself a little further, and I'm able to focus in more.

55 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Sorry you had a shitty day.  I hope the fiance can be a little more aware of you and how you're doing in the future. 

Eh, it happens. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last time, since we have the rest of our lives. We've discussed it, we're working to make it better, and that's what counts in an equal partnership.

Also, I think he really needs a vacation, which we'll be leaving for in three weeks. That'll help.

• Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

Week 0 Saturday Update

Yesterday was an improvement. I got through my work day in a decent mood and made progress at the same time. Had a great workout, even sans trainer. Got a lot of reading in during the evening. Bought a bottle of Bowmore Devil's Cask for $80; I now have three distinct single malt Islays in my kitchen, and that doesn't seem at all excessive.

My fiancé was slightly better, but he was definitely more down than I was. As a sign of my love, he fell asleep curled up against my chest on the couch, and I didn't wake him so that I could move for over an hour with only a dying phone and a Twitch streamer I hate on the TV.

I got up bright and early this morning for coffee, breakfast, and some reading. Then I went to the gym. It's 9 AM, and I'm already recapping from the bathtub.

Big Picture Challenge

• Wedding Planning: On Monday, January 30th, 2017 my boyfriend and I proposed to one another. While we're adorable and all, simply being cute does not make plans for us. We must make actual arrangements for this to happen. We're not having an elaborate ceremony or reception; rather, two of our best friends are accompanying to the courthouse on an upcoming afternoon for a civic marriage. After which, we'll meet up with a few of our close friends and their partners in a very informal environment for lots of my boss's home brew and board games until everyone leaves. This requires a few things to be planned ASAP, as we're shooting for May of this year.
    • Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
    • Rent a facility that can accommodate up to 60 people and let us carry in our own alcohol.
      • Ended up too busy at work to do this yesterday. Damn surprise lunch meetings.
    • Set a guest list.
      • Cut one couple off the guest list when I remembered they didn't invite me to their wedding. It seems petty, but I have to get this list down.
    • Invite people.
    • Optional Bonus: Arrange to buy a kilt for the wedding that I can afford and be happy with for a long time to come. I'm going to be super picky, and will not get anything before I compromise.
  • Daily Food Report: Recording my daily food intake has been one of the most helpful things I've done for months now. I'm going to continue this. Still eating mostly paleo, with the occasional allowance here and there. Bold items are not paleo. Iced Coffee is never paleo if it's been sweetened; baked goods, protein shakes, candy, and ice cream are never paleo. Candy is a newcomer to the list. I've unfortunately developed a little bit of a sweet tooth and started sneaking the odd orange slice or gummy worm, so I need to nip that in the bud. Protein shakes are also a newcomer to the list, as I've noticed I'm consistently about 30g of protein shy in a day. I'll probably only be consuming them after workouts, so just one a day.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs
    • Lunch: Chicken meatloaf muffin, parsnip mash, steamed broccoli
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, steamed broccoli, pickled beets and onions
    • Snacks: A few almonds, 90% chocolate, sweet potato chips
    • Baked Goods: No (my fiancé finished the cake before I got home lol)
    • Ice Cream: No (he finished that off, too)
    • Candy: Finished the bag. No more.

Little Picture Challenge

• Dip Improvement: Do 3x10 dips, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 2/2
      • Did this yesterday, assisted. Managed to reduce the assistance, at least.
  • Pull-Up Improvement: Do 3x10 pull-ups, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 2/2
      • Did this yesterday and today, assisted. Not much noticeable improvement yet, and that's ok.
  • Yoga: Do yoga every night, with at least five a week being full half-hour sessions.
    • Water B last night.
    • 1/2
      • Did this today. New PR.
  • Bench Press Improvement: Do 4x5 bench press with at least two workouts a week.
    • 2/2
      • This morning. No PR. A little scared to push this too much without a spot.
    • 2/2
      • Yesterday. There were no free Olympic bars and I was on a schedule, so I did 4x10 with lower weight on the preloaded bars.
    • 1/2
  • Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.
    • Forgot this yesterday; gonna put it down to a new routine. Did it this morning.
  • Like 4

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

3 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Bought a bottle of Bowmore Devil's Cask for $80; I now have three distinct single malt Islays in my kitchen, and that doesn't seem at all excessive.

Islay is where I like my Scotch to come from. I want to drink a campfire.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

25 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Bought a bottle of Bowmore Devil's Cask for $80; I now have three distinct single malt Islays in my kitchen, and that doesn't seem at all excessive.

21 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Islay is where I like my Scotch to come from. I want to drink a campfire.

I received a decanter and glass set for Christmas.  Self reminder to bug you guys for suggestions for a booze snob wannabe when the Woodford Reserve that came with it runs out.  

27 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

I didn't wake him so that I could move for over an hour with only a dying phone and a Twitch streamer I hate on the TV.

That's love right there. 

Congrats on your squat PR!  Regarding lack of bench spotters:  I know you and Oramac aren't a big fan of dropping weights but if I'm alone I'll often bench without clips so I can roll off to one side and let the weight slide off in case of extreme emergency.  I've never had to do it yet and I've not had any issues because if I get to the point where I'm pressing unevenly it's time to stop for that set.  

If you're not comfortable with that, I suggest practicing your "Roll of Shame" with a lighter weight a few times.  Just put a light weight on the oly bar, let it rest on your chest for a second and roll it down your abdomen until it gets past your hips and you can sit up.  I have had to do that once or twice (as have most benchers I imagine). 

Once you practice bailing out a couple times it really helps the confidence if you have to do so due to muscle failure.   Just my two cents. 

• Like 4
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

On 2/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Broba Fett said:

I received a decanter and glass set for Christmas.  Self reminder to bug you guys for suggestions for a booze snob wannabe when the Woodford Reserve that came with it runs out.  

I'm always happy to provide recommendations! I'll warn you that I have pretty specific tastes when it comes to scotch, though, and I'll be dismissive of literally anything that doesn't fit nicely into that. Please explore beyond my recommendations.

I'll often bench without clips

Oof. I am way not confident enough in my balance for this. But planning for failure isn't a bad idea, and I'll admit that I haven't given it much thought.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

Week 1 Monday Update

The weekend went quite well, if not long enough. I managed to be both active and relaxed pretty much the entire time. I also managed to stave off the urge to eat unhealthy foods. This was a huge struggle, surprisingly. I'm not sure why, but I was craving both pizza and Chinese food all weekend. I've not had either of those things in months, and there's a good reason for that.

I'm gonna need to start tracking my sleep, I think. I've been waking up exhausted lately and then wanting to doze all through the day. My other half says I've been restless in my sleep a lot the few nights, so I may need to look into what's going on there. On the positive side of things, at least I'm not waking up out of sheer anxiety at 4 AM anymore. I'm sure that'll loop back around, though.

Back to work today. My brain fog is in bad shape today, so I'm glad it's a short day. Hopefully at least I'll be awake in time for my appointment with my trainer. And that'll certainly have me awake for fancy dinner date night with my fiancé. Pro tip: it's way easier to get reservations the day before Valentine's Day. ;-)

Big Picture Challenge

• Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
      • Back to making phone calls on this.
    • Set a guest list.
      • As of a phone call last night, it sounds like neither of us are going to have any blood relations there. Oh well. It helps make the list smaller.
    • Invite people.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Starbucks bacon breakfast sandwich
    • Lunch: Ground beef and onions, carrots, pickled beets
    • DinnerChicken taco soup (I don't know. My fiancé made it, and that's what he called it. It was good.)
    • Snacks: A few almonds, 90% chocolate
    • Baked Goods: No
    • Ice Cream: Yes (Halo Top black cherry)
    • Candy: No

Little Picture Challenge

• 0/2
    • 0/2
    • Fire A last night.
    • 0/2
      • Only managed to get this in once last week, but I put that down to starting the challenge late.
    • 0/2
    • 0/2
      • I managed to do this three times last week, actually. Set a new PR again yesterday!
    • 1/2
    • Did this yesterday. I'm waiting for my next squat day (Thursday, I think?) to see if it's made any difference so far.
  • Like 4

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

Congrats on your squat PR!  Regarding lack of bench spotters:  I know you and Oramac aren't a big fan of dropping weights but if I'm alone I'll often bench without clips so I can roll off to one side and let the weight slide off in case of extreme emergency.  I've never had to do it yet and I've not had any issues because if I get to the point where I'm pressing unevenly it's time to stop for that set.  

If you're not comfortable with that, I suggest practicing your "Roll of Shame" with a lighter weight a few times.  Just put a light weight on the oly bar, let it rest on your chest for a second and roll it down your abdomen until it gets past your hips and you can sit up.  I have had to do that once or twice (as have most benchers I imagine). 

Once you practice bailing out a couple times it really helps the confidence if you have to do so due to muscle failure.   Just my two cents. 

Ditto this.  I've had to do the roll of shame once.  It sucked, but at least it was better than killing myself.  Or, you know, something like that. :P 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Sorry about the blood relations not stepping up and supporting you both on your big day. Hopefully you have a great group of friends and "family you choose"

It's no biggie. Like you can see, I'm trying to pare down the guest list anyway. His brother and sister legitimately just can't make it for valid reasons. His dad is a Greek Orthodox priest, so come up with your own reasons why he can't make it. His mom "loves and supports both of us but just can't support our lifestyle." She's a sweet lady, and I know she doesn't have an ounce of malice in her body; she was raised how she was raised. My parents are a non-issue; they explicitly don't want to know so I don't tell them anything. Steady as she goes.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

1 minute ago, imprimis5 said:

It's no biggie. Like you can see, I'm trying to pare down the guest list anyway. His brother and sister legitimately just can't make it for valid reasons. His dad is a Greek Orthodox priest, so come up with your own reasons why he can't make it. His mom "loves and supports both of us but just can't support our lifestyle." She's a sweet lady, and I know she doesn't have an ounce of malice in her body; she was raised how she was raised. My parents are a non-issue; they explicitly don't want to know so I don't tell them anything. Steady as she goes.

I am glad that you are okay with this, because it hurts my heart. As a parent, I can't imagine not being there for my kids on something so important.

In other (funnier) news, I totally had to stalk your profile to make sure you weren't one of my brother's friends. He and his fiancee are getting married in the fall and you have the same sense of humor. I'm actually a little disappointed you aren't, they are good people.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I am glad that you are okay with this, because it hurts my heart. As a parent, I can't imagine not being there for my kids on something so important.

I've been out for 16 years now. You get used to things.

3 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

In other (funnier) news, I totally had to stalk your profile to make sure you weren't one of my brother's friends. He and his fiancee are getting married in the fall and you have the same sense of humor. I'm actually a little disappointed you aren't, they are good people.

Yeah, we're not good people; it's a shame. :-P I kid. We're great people.

• Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

Week 1 Tuesday Update

We've reached Tuesday. The most boring day of the week. It's still basically the beginning of the week, but you can't even complain about it being Monday. Not only that, but it's my rest day so I don't have the gym to look forward to.

Yesterday was really good once I left work. My trainer is definitely pushing me into some more complex movements, which I really enjoy. We worked for a long time on bar cleans, and that was absolutely amazing. Though it did show a glaring weakness I have: wrist flexibility! I never have had any trouble with wrist mobility in anything I've done, but after six or seven cleans, the tendons in my right wrist just felt like someone had been hacking at them with a rusty knife. The rest of the workout was fairly standard, I suppose. Mostly back and shoulder stuff, which is an area that I need to work on. My back is better than my arms but not as good as my legs. Did some arm work, too, which is definitely my most miserable area.

My fiancé and I went out for a nice early Valentine's Day dinner last night, which was really great. We don't treat ourselves super often, and it's important to do that from time to time.

Today finds me hip-deep in anxiety. I woke up three times through the night, the last time about two hours before my alarm. I just stayed awake and fiddled on my phone until my alarm went off. I'm having a really hard time focusing today. For example, it's taken me forty-five minutes to type this all up because I just keep staring off into space. Just keep swimming...

Big Picture Challenge

• Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
      • Back to making phone calls on this.
    • Set a guest list.
      • As of a phone call last night, it sounds like neither of us are going to have any blood relations there. Oh well. It helps make the list smaller.
    • Invite people.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs
    • Lunch: Baked chicken thigh, baked sweet potato fries, Brussels sprouts
    • Dinner: Antipasto assortment, seafood risotto (You expect me to eat paleo at an Italian place? Ha.)
    • Snacks: Beef jerky
    • Baked Goods: No
    • Ice Cream: No
    • Candy: ...Yes

Little Picture Challenge

• 0/2
    • 0/2
    • Fire A last night.
    • 0/2
    • 1/2
      • My trainer pushes me harder than I push myself. This is definitely the truth.
    • 0/2
    • 1/2
    • My workout went long yesterday, and I was running out of time. Had to cut something, and this was it.
  • Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

7 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

My trainer pushes me harder than I push myself. This is definitely the truth.

So he's doing his job.  That's good. :)  Sorry to hear today is going rough for you.  I definitely know the feeling.  I stare out the little window I can see from my desk all the bloody time.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

1 minute ago, Oramac said:

So he's doing his job.  That's good. :) 

He definitely is. There's a reason I'm sticking with him, even though I don't need the accountability anymore (that was my original reason for getting a trainer).

2 minutes ago, Oramac said:

I stare out the little window I can see from my desk all the bloody time.  

I wish I had a window. From my desk, I can see my interior office and out the door into the common area (no windows there, either). If I look past that, I can see into my boss's office, which also doesn't have a window.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge