imprimis5's Big and Little Pictures

imprimis5

Week 1 Wednesday Update

Well, I made it through yesterday. It was just, honestly, kind of an awful day. I didn't get a thing done at work because I was such a huge bundle of anxiety, which, of course, put me further behind, making me an even bigger bundle of anxiety. It was gross. That stuck with me all night long. A couple of my good NF Academy friends had to convince me that I really did need to take the day off from the gym, even though it would have been good for my mood. But rest days are important. I spent the evening doing things I knew would make me feel better: napping, poring over a new board game, and watching Venture Brothers.

My stress was put to its test when I, in the course of doing my normal financial due diligence, noticed that my gym has charged me, over the course of the last two weeks, five times what I'm supposed to be paying for training and such. I called my trainer right away (since it's probably his fault that happened), and he assured me he'd get it sorted out. I guess we'll see how "sorted out" it is when I get there today.

So I rested yesterday. That meant skipping the gym... and that's about the only real difference. Still did a full yoga session and filled the activity bars on my Apple Watch.

Today is shaping up to be a little better. I was still restless last night, but I did get more sleep altogether. I've given myself permission to get done exactly as much as I can at work, no more. Then I have week two of my boot camp at gym. After that, I get to rush home and shower in time for game night with friends. Then yoga. Then bed.

Big Picture Challenge

• Wedding Planning: On Monday, January 30th, 2017 my boyfriend and I proposed to one another. While we're adorable and all, simply being cute does not make plans for us. We must make actual arrangements for this to happen. We're not having an elaborate ceremony or reception; rather, two of our best friends are accompanying to the courthouse on an upcoming afternoon for a civic marriage. After which, we'll meet up with a few of our close friends and their partners in a very informal environment for lots of my boss's home brew and board games until everyone leaves. This requires a few things to be planned ASAP, as we're shooting for May of this year.
    • Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
    • Arrange for our friends to be at the marriage.
      • Holding pattern for a specific date.
    • Rent a facility that can accommodate up to 60 people and let us carry in our own alcohol.
      • I'll admit that I haven't done any work on this. Been a little over-stressed, and something has had to give.
    • Set a guest list.
      • Still gotta make this just a little smaller. Who of our friends do I like the least?
    • Invite people.
      • Not really doing this officially until I have a date.
    • Optional Bonus: Arrange to buy a kilt for the wedding that I can afford and be happy with for a long time to come. I'm going to be super picky, and will not get anything before I compromise.
      • I had a dream last night that I had a kilt in my clan tartan. Le sigh.
  • Daily Food Report: Recording my daily food intake has been one of the most helpful things I've done for months now. I'm going to continue this. Still eating mostly paleo, with the occasional allowance here and there. Bold items are not paleo. Iced Coffee is never paleo if it's been sweetened; baked goods, protein shakes, candy, and ice cream are never paleo. Candy is a newcomer to the list. I've unfortunately developed a little bit of a sweet tooth and started sneaking the odd orange slice or gummy worm, so I need to nip that in the bud. Protein shakes are also a newcomer to the list, as I've noticed I'm consistently about 30g of protein shy in a day. I'll probably only be consuming them after workouts, so just one a day.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs
    • Lunch: Baked chicken thigh, baked sweet potato fries, Brussels sprouts
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, baked sweet potato fries, Brussels sprouts
    • Snacks: Banana
    • Protein Shake: No
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, almost unsweetened
    • Baked Goods: No
    • Ice Cream: Frozen kefir
    • Candy: ...Yes

Little Picture Challenge

• Dip Improvement: Do 3x10 dips, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Pull-Up Improvement: Do 3x10 pull-ups, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Yoga: Do yoga every night, with at least five a week being full half-hour sessions.
    • Fire A last night.
  • Squat Improvement: Do 4x5 squats with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Bench Press Improvement: Do 4x5 bench press with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
  • Deadlift Improvement: Do 4x5 deadlift with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Running: Run at least a mile twice during this Challenge.
    • 1/2
  • Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.
  • Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

15 minutes ago, Laghail said:

I'm newer to following your threads imprimis, any idea what triggers your anxiety? Glad you're giving yourself permission to be human in response to the anxiety. Hang in there man.

Agreed.  Take it easy and do what you can do.  Pushing yourself too hard too long doesn't sound like a good idea.  

40 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

A couple of my good NF Academy friends had to convince me that I really did need to take the day off from the gym

When was the last time you have a legit day off work?  I've found that taking a random day off here and there helps a ton.  Normally, I don't tell a soul when I do it.  That way, it's truly a day off with nobody pulling you in any directions.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

9 minutes ago, Laghail said:

I'm newer to following your threads imprimis, any idea what triggers your anxiety? 

Tricky question. I have a bit of a chicken-or-egg thing going on that I haven't solved yet.

Work stress and anxiety often go hand in hand. But I'm not sure if work stress starts the anxiety or if I get anxious, thus putting off work stuff that gets me behind and stressed.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

3 minutes ago, Oramac said:

When was the last time you have a legit day off work?  I've found that taking a random day off here and there helps a ton.  Normally, I don't tell a soul when I do it.  That way, it's truly a day off with nobody pulling you in any directions.  

I mean, I take weekends off every week? I don't check my work Slack, social media accounts, or email on the weekends. And since my household tends to be pretty much full of homebodies, they frequently involve having no responsibilities or obligations at all.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

24 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Doesn't count.  Taking some random Tuesday (or any workday) off once in a while does wonders for the mind. 

It's been a while, then. Usually if I don't go into the office, I work from home. But that's all going to change at the beginning of March. On the 3rd, we're flying to San Diego to take a week-long cruise. It's going to be delightful.

• Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

2 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

My stress was put to its test when I, in the course of doing my normal financial due diligence, noticed that my gym has charged me, over the course of the last two weeks, five times what I'm supposed to be paying for training and such

That would just tick me off. Hopefully it's been fixed.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

6 hours ago, Oramac said:

Doesn't count.  Taking some random Tuesday (or any workday) off once in a while does wonders for the mind. 

Seconded.  Mental health sick days are a real thing and invaluable. 

Give that GM what-for if they haven't sorted your monetary concerns. 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

29 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

I was going to do this today. But then I chickened out. :-/

It is helpful for me to schedule them with my boss (or PM in my case) in advance. Like, look at your schedule and see if you have a "light" day or one without meetings, or [fill in the blank specific to your job] and pick that day as a vacation day. It helps take some of the pressure off my decision (I'm really bad about mental health days too!). 

• Like 2

Week 1 Thursday Update

Yesterday was just a big rush of a day. Work was easy, so my stress was low, at least. I even got to play a couple of games; the benefits of working for a board game publisher. I taught a new employee how to play one of our best sellers (Bottom of the 9th, if you ever want a super quick and light dice-based baseball game), and then I did a development play-through of a game that we're going to be launching on Kickstarter soon. Playing an otherwise fun game with my boss, the guy in charge of making sure games that we publish are as fun and "correct" as possible, kind of takes some of the fun out of it since he stops and complains about things a lot and changes rules and makes us replay turns. I know it's all part of the process, but I wasn't expecting it to be that kind of game. :-P

Then the gym. Boot camp day! I complained a little last week that it was lighter than I wanted and that I had to get my enjoyment out of cheering my teammates on. Well, not so this week. He really amped it up. I was legitimately sweating from a good, high intensity workout. The group had shrunk substantially, too (surprise!), so that meant we didn't have to rush through things as much. Also, just as a sidenote to anyone who might be tempted to do a thing: if a class is taking up a part of the gym where you want to do your workout, when it's been advertised for a week that that area would be closed down for an hour for a class, don't make snide comments at the class-goers while they're doing their thing; sorry you missed the notice, but complain to management, not the attendees.

Ok, so I rushed home from the gym without even changing out of my sweaty workout clothes because I was in a hurry to get home and get showered before guests showed up for game night. Halfway there, my fiancé calls me to ask if I can swing by Trader Joe's to pick up a certain bottle of wine that he needs for the dinner he's making us. Because I'm the amazing fiancé that I am, I did so, sweaty and gross from the gym. Cut to the chase, I was out of the shower before guests arrived, dinner was great, and we played a super fun new board game about exploring an island in the time of Celtic myth and legend.

After our guests left, we did yoga and I went to bed. My other half needed a little cool down, so he stayed up playing video games for a while. I must have actually slept well for once, because I don't have the foggiest when he actually came to bed. "Slept well" is relative, because I did wake up briefly around 3, just enough to encourage one of the dogs to come over and nuzzle at my face. I'm well-rested enough today, though, I suppose.

Big Picture Challenge

• Wedding Planning: On Monday, January 30th, 2017 my boyfriend and I proposed to one another. While we're adorable and all, simply being cute does not make plans for us. We must make actual arrangements for this to happen. We're not having an elaborate ceremony or reception; rather, two of our best friends are accompanying to the courthouse on an upcoming afternoon for a civic marriage. After which, we'll meet up with a few of our close friends and their partners in a very informal environment for lots of my boss's home brew and board games until everyone leaves. This requires a few things to be planned ASAP, as we're shooting for May of this year.
    • Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
    • Arrange for our friends to be at the marriage.
      • Holding pattern for a specific date.
    • Rent a facility that can accommodate up to 60 people and let us carry in our own alcohol.
      • I'll admit that I haven't done any work on this. Been a little over-stressed, and something has had to give.
    • Set a guest list.
      • Still gotta make this just a little smaller. Who of our friends do I like the least?
    • Invite people.
      • Not really doing this officially until I have a date.
    • Optional Bonus: Arrange to buy a kilt for the wedding that I can afford and be happy with for a long time to come. I'm going to be super picky, and will not get anything before I compromise.
      • I had a dream last night that I had a kilt in my clan tartan. Le sigh.
  • Daily Food Report: Recording my daily food intake has been one of the most helpful things I've done for months now. I'm going to continue this. Still eating mostly paleo, with the occasional allowance here and there. Bold items are not paleo. Iced Coffee is never paleo if it's been sweetened; baked goods, protein shakes, candy, and ice cream are never paleo. Candy is a newcomer to the list. I've unfortunately developed a little bit of a sweet tooth and started sneaking the odd orange slice or gummy worm, so I need to nip that in the bud. Protein shakes are also a newcomer to the list, as I've noticed I'm consistently about 30g of protein shy in a day. I'll probably only be consuming them after workouts, so just one a day.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs
    • Lunch: Baked chicken thigh, baked sweet potato fries, Brussels sprouts
    • Dinner: Chicken mozambique with rice (If you've never tried chicken mozambique, please allow me to recommend it; it's amazing.)
    • Snacks: Turkey jerky
    • Protein Shake: Yes
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, almost unsweetened (and the baristas all know that I want to be completely unsweetened by the end of the week)
    • Baked Goods: No
    • Ice Cream: No
    • Candy: Yes. So, this is turning into a legit addiction, and I need to treat it as such. If I can kick smoking a pack and a half a day (237 days smoke-free!), I can kick a candy habit. I think I haven't been taking it seriously, and that is going to change.

Little Picture Challenge

• Dip Improvement: Do 3x10 dips, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • I did my first set of 10 unassisted (!!!), but assisted on the last two.
  • Pull-Up Improvement: Do 3x10 pull-ups, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
  • Yoga: Do yoga every night, with at least five a week being full half-hour sessions.
    • Squat and wrist mobility mini sessions
  • Squat Improvement: Do 4x5 squats with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • My trainer listened to me when I told him I wanted a harder workout on boot camp nights. The weight was lighter than usual, but it was something.
  • Bench Press Improvement: Do 4x5 bench press with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
  • Deadlift Improvement: Do 4x5 deadlift with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • See squat.
  • Running: Run at least a mile twice during this Challenge.
    • 1/2
  • Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.
  • Like 6

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

2 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

It is helpful for me to schedule them with my boss (or PM in my case) in advance. Like, look at your schedule and see if you have a "light" day or one without meetings, or [fill in the blank specific to your job] and pick that day as a vacation day. It helps take some of the pressure off my decision (I'm really bad about mental health days too!). 

So, the trouble is that we have entered my busiest time of the year: convention season. No day is "light" right now. Taking a day off means I'm going to have to do two days' work in one day when I get back, and that's super stressful, too.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

6 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

So, the trouble is that we have entered my busiest time of the year: convention season. No day is "light" right now. Taking a day off means I'm going to have to do two days' work in one day when I get back, and that's super stressful, too.

First of all, your job sounds amazing! Going forward, maybe schedule a day before and a day after the busy time? One to give you a break before it's head down time and then another to decompress afterwards? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

First of all, your job sounds amazing! Going forward, maybe schedule a day before and a day after the busy time? One to give you a break before it's head down time and then another to decompress afterwards? 

Yeah, it's not a bad idea. Convention season lasts from early March to late September, so that would actually be a nice six-month break here and there.

Also, we do go on a relaxing cruise every year in March. So there's that.

• Like 2

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

Is that the celtic one?  I agree with oramac.  Very cool dynamic.  Reminds me of my dungeon tiles. 

Also, I feel you on the candy thing.  Valentines day and this nonstop week has me off the wagon hard.  I've had no sweets today though and I'll keep it up if you join me. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

7 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

"Slept well" is relative, because I did wake up briefly around 3

Everyone wakes up in the middle of the night. It actually used to be tradition for people to sleep for a few hours, wake up in the middle of the night for like an hour or so, and then go back to sleep for a few more hours and scientists have actually found that our natural circadian rhythms do this naturally.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

20 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

"Slept well" is relative, because I did wake up briefly around 3, just enough to encourage one of the dogs to come over and nuzzle at my face. I'm well-rested enough today, though, I suppose.

Sounds like a good step forward! I always count the times when I wake up and then immediately go back down as small wins! Better than the alternative of just being awake from then on.

I'm slowly catching up.

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

18 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Is that the celtic one?  I agree with oramac.  Very cool dynamic.  Reminds me of my dungeon tiles. 

That's the one, and the main reason I got it. Turns out it's just a really great game, theme aside.

3 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Better than the alternative of just being awake from then on.

This is the more common occurrence. :-(

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge