imprimis5's Big and Little Pictures

imprimis5

Week 1 Friday Update

Not a whole lot special to report about yesterday. Went to work, went to the gym, bathed, dinner, went for a walk to catch some new Pokemans, did yoga, went to bed.

The gym was NF Academy 5A, with a couple modifications/additions. First of all, I replaced negative chin-ups with assisted pull-ups. I also warmed up with 1 km of rowing, and then I added bench press into the mix.

I'm noticing something just a little funny in my left shoulder. It's not exactly sore, but it feels like it easily could be. It also feels like it's "catching" during some movements. Gonna have to keep an eye on that.

Big Picture Challenge

• Wedding Planning: On Monday, January 30th, 2017 my boyfriend and I proposed to one another. While we're adorable and all, simply being cute does not make plans for us. We must make actual arrangements for this to happen. We're not having an elaborate ceremony or reception; rather, two of our best friends are accompanying to the courthouse on an upcoming afternoon for a civic marriage. After which, we'll meet up with a few of our close friends and their partners in a very informal environment for lots of my boss's home brew and board games until everyone leaves. This requires a few things to be planned ASAP, as we're shooting for May of this year.
    • Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
    • Arrange for our friends to be at the marriage.
      • Holding pattern for a specific date.
    • Rent a facility that can accommodate up to 60 people and let us carry in our own alcohol.
      • I'll admit that I haven't done any work on this. Been a little over-stressed, and something has had to give.
    • Set a guest list.
      • Still gotta make this just a little smaller. Who of our friends do I like the least?
    • Invite people.
      • Not really doing this officially until I have a date.
    • Optional Bonus: Arrange to buy a kilt for the wedding that I can afford and be happy with for a long time to come. I'm going to be super picky, and will not get anything before I compromise.
      • Nothing yet.
  • Daily Food Report: Recording my daily food intake has been one of the most helpful things I've done for months now. I'm going to continue this. Still eating mostly paleo, with the occasional allowance here and there. Bold items are not paleo. Iced Coffee is never paleo if it's been sweetened; baked goods, protein shakes, candy, and ice cream are never paleo. Candy is a newcomer to the list. I've unfortunately developed a little bit of a sweet tooth and started sneaking the odd orange slice or gummy worm, so I need to nip that in the bud. Protein shakes are also a newcomer to the list, as I've noticed I'm consistently about 30g of protein shy in a day. I'll probably only be consuming them after workouts, so just one a day.
    • Yesterday breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs
    • Lunch: Baked chicken thigh, baked sweet potato fries, Brussels sprouts
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, pickled beets and onions
    • Snacks: Almonds, 90% chocolate, banana with almond butter, beet pickled egg (OMG, I made these a week and a half ago, and this was the first one I pulled out of the jar. Sooooooo good. Also, coincidentally, yesterday would have been my grandmother's birthday, and her constantly having these around when I was growing up was the reason I made them at all.)
    • Protein Shake: Yes
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, almost unsweetened
    • Baked Goods: No
    • Ice Cream: No
    • Candy: No. I was so correct to classify this as an addiction, because that's exactly how yesterday went. I craved it like a junkie craves a hit. I bargained with myself about getting "just a little." But I never gave in.

Little Picture Challenge

• Dip Improvement: Do 3x10 dips, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 2/2
      • All assisted this time. But less weight.
  • Pull-Up Improvement: Do 3x10 pull-ups, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • Assisted
  • Yoga: Do yoga every night, with at least five a week being full half-hour sessions.
    • Water B, rather than Fire A. I have a suspicion that the Half Moons are being very hard on my shoulder, so I'm giving them a short break.
  • Squat Improvement: Do 4x5 squats with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
  • Bench Press Improvement: Do 4x5 bench press with at least two workouts a week.
    • 2/2
      • New PR, even! This is where I first noticed my shoulder acting strangely.
  • Deadlift Improvement: Do 4x5 deadlift with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
  • Running: Run at least a mile twice during this Challenge.
    • 1/2
  • Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.
    •  I can't believe I forgot this yesterday. I think it may be due to distraction from my irritation with a gym-goer.
  • Like 2

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I just realised something kind of sad. I'm going to be on a cruise for over a week, right through the last day of this challenge. I won't have internet access while I'm there, which means I won't be able to report in and keep honest here. I think I'm going to have to journal everything and report when I get back.

• Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

58 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Candy: No. I was so correct to classify this as an addiction, because that's exactly how yesterday went. I craved it like a junkie craves a hit. I bargained with myself about getting "just a little." But I never gave in.

I'm definitely in the junkie category too. Good job on not giving into the cravings!

• Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

47 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

I just realised something kind of sad. I'm going to be on a cruise for over a week, right through the last day of this challenge. I won't have internet access while I'm there, which means I won't be able to report in and keep honest here. I think I'm going to have to journal everything and report when I get back.

This is what we like to call a "plan". :)  They help, even when we realize we won't have access to stuff for a few days.  I like it. 

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

6 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

I'm noticing something just a little funny in my left shoulder. It's not exactly sore, but it feels like it easily could be. It also feels like it's "catching" during some movements.

My right shoulder does that sometimes. I've just been chalking it up to reaching middle age. :P

• Like 1

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

On 2/18/2017 at 0:30 AM, imprimis5 said:

• Set a guest list.
      • Still gotta make this just a little smaller. Who of our friends do I like the least?

From someone who had to make these decisions a couple of months ago, I was given two good pieces of advice for making guest list choices. 

1. Think about where you see yourselves in 10 years, and which of your friends will still be in your life. If you can't see them around in 10 years, they don't get an invite.

2. The following flow chart:

Guest-List-Manager.jpg

• Like 5

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

Week 2 Tuesday Update

I was gone for a few days, eh? Well, trust me when I say I haven't been idle. I've been super active since I left work on Friday afternoon.

Friday was leg day with my trainer. As always, I am amazing. However, I will say that my right hip is giving me some problems since then, especially when I do a squat motion. Gonna have to keep an eye on that.

Saturday was when I first noticed my hip stuff, but I still managed to knock out some great squats and deadlifts, as well as setting a new bench press max. A little later in the day, went for a couple mile walk with the dogs in the park, followed immediately by visiting the local botanical garden for the orchid show.

Sunday was a little more bodyweight gym stuff. Dips and pull-ups, primarily. I did not leave feeling amazing, but it was good that I did it, at least? Then another walk in the park with the dogs.

Yesterday was one of the most active days I've had in a while. We were both off work, so we decided to head out to a nearby nature reserve and walk around a bit. All in all, we walked around five miles there, then another couple miles with the dogs. And then I went to the gym for upper body day with my trainer! This guy is a sadist, putting close grip bench press and dips back-to-back.

Back to the grind today. I'm resting, so I'll probably just try to run a mile or two this afternoon. Can't do too much, since our schedule is actually kind of tight between picking up dogs from daycare, eating dinner, and then going to see some friends to play games.

Note about food. I don't especially feel like thinking back through everything I ate over the long weekend. I ate a good, home-cooked, paleo meal every time, at least. I just can't necessarily remember what each of them were.

Big Picture Challenge

• Wedding Planning: On Monday, January 30th, 2017 my boyfriend and I proposed to one another. While we're adorable and all, simply being cute does not make plans for us. We must make actual arrangements for this to happen. We're not having an elaborate ceremony or reception; rather, two of our best friends are accompanying to the courthouse on an upcoming afternoon for a civic marriage. After which, we'll meet up with a few of our close friends and their partners in a very informal environment for lots of my boss's home brew and board games until everyone leaves. This requires a few things to be planned ASAP, as we're shooting for May of this year.
    • Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
    • Rent a facility that can accommodate up to 60 people and let us carry in our own alcohol.
      • We were going to go check out some places yesterday, but everywhere was closed for the holiday.
    • Set a guest list.
      • Cut a couple people out, thanks in part to suggestions from @EmeraldEagle!
    • Invite people.
    • Optional Bonus: Arrange to buy a kilt for the wedding that I can afford and be happy with for a long time to come. I'm going to be super picky, and will not get anything before I compromise.
      • Nothing yet.
  • Daily Food Report: Recording my daily food intake has been one of the most helpful things I've done for months now. I'm going to continue this. Still eating mostly paleo, with the occasional allowance here and there. Bold items are not paleo. Iced Coffee is never paleo if it's been sweetened; baked goods, protein shakes, candy, and ice cream are never paleo. Candy is a newcomer to the list. I've unfortunately developed a little bit of a sweet tooth and started sneaking the odd orange slice or gummy worm, so I need to nip that in the bud. Protein shakes are also a newcomer to the list, as I've noticed I'm consistently about 30g of protein shy in a day. I'll probably only be consuming them after workouts, so just one a day.
    • Lunch: Garlic paprika shrimp over cauliflower rice, turnip mash, spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette, almonds, and raisins
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, Brussels sprouts, baked sweet potato fries
    • Snacks: Almonds, 90% chocolate, banana
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, unsweetened! I've finally done it consistently!
    • Ice Cream: Yes (Halo Top Cookies & Cream)
    • Candy: No. Good gods, this is hard.

Little Picture Challenge

• Dip Improvement: Do 3x10 dips, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • Band assisted. Oof.
  • Pull-Up Improvement: Do 3x10 pull-ups, assisted or otherwise, with at least two workouts a week.
    • 0/2
      • I did manage this last week.
  • Yoga: Do yoga every night, with at least five a week being full half-hour sessions.
    • Fire A last night, despite so much complaining from my other half.
    • 0/2
      • I did this and more last week.
  • Bench Press Improvement: Do 4x5 bench press with at least two workouts a week.
    • 1/2
      • Sure, I did this yesterday. In three ways. Bench press, incline bench press, close grip bench press. Which do you want? Bam!
    • 0/2
      • This was achieved last week.
    • 1/2
      • Gonna try to do this today.
  • Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.
    •  I'm hit-or-miss on this. It really needs done, though. I think the fact that my right foot likes to duck out during squats may actually be causing the issue with my hips. If I can fix the rotation issue, I might fix the hip issue at the same time.
  • Like 3

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

23 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Note about food. I don't especially feel like thinking back through everything I ate over the long weekend. I ate a good, home-cooked, paleo meal every time, at least. I just can't necessarily remember what each of them were.

Straight Leg Interior Rotation: Do 4x10 straight leg interior rotation with every workout.

I'm hit-or-miss on this. It really needs done, though. I think the fact that my right foot likes to duck out during squats may actually be causing the issue with my hips. If I can fix the rotation issue, I might fix the hip issue at the same time.

Wait, you mean there was a long weekend? :P  Good to hear you conquered it by eating well.  

This is definitely a thing.  I've noticed that foot position is huge for squats.  For me it's my left knee, and just having my foot a few degrees off makes it so much more difficult.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Week 2 Wednesday Update

Good morning, Wednesday. I greet you... tiredly. I was up stupid late helping out a couple friends by playtesting their board game.

Yesterday was a rest day. I worked my job like normal. I went home to do one of my favourite things in the world (punching out the cardboard pieces for a new game!). Played games with friends. Did yoga. Pretty successful rest day, if I do say so myself. I just wish I'd run, but that didn't happen.

Today is another normal-ish day. Just work, then boot camp at the gym. It would normally be game night with a coworker and her husband, but that's on hold this week.

I don't have a whole lot of excess energy right now, mainly for anxiety related reasons. It's making it a little hard to get anything done, but at least I'm sleeping better than I used to. I just need to make it to the cruise...

Big Picture Challenge

• Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
      • My boss let me know that, worst case scenario, we can use our office space. For obvious reasons, this isn't ideal, but it would definitely work.
    • Set a guest list.
      • I think that we pretty much have this finalised.
    • Invite people.
      • Nothing yet.
    • Lunch: Garlic paprika shrimp over cauliflower rice, turnip mash, spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette, almonds, and raisins
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, Brussels sprouts, baked sweet potato fries
    • Protein Shake: No
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, unsweetened! The baristas have successfully been trained.
    • Candy: Yes. Curse my coworkers for keeping a candy jar.

Little Picture Challenge

• 1/2
    • 0/2
    • Water A last night because it was so late and it was the shortest full session. I was so ready for bed by the time I could do yoga.
    • 0/2
    • 1/2
    • 0/2
    • 1/2
      • I didn't manage this yesterday. I kinda just needed a day to zone out.
  • Like 2

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

5 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

but at least I'm sleeping better than I used to. I just need to make it to the cruise...

Keep that in front of you.  Sleeping better is a big deal.  You're doing well. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

2 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Apropos of nothing, I really like tight sleeves these days.

I have come to a similar conclusion.  It's amazing the difference a little weightlifting can make in filling out a tshirt. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

4 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

Apropos of nothing, I really like tight sleeves these days.

Is it legal to be carrying those things around without that carry class you were going to take? ;)

• Like 4
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

Week 2 Thursday Update

Yesterday was such a mixed bag, y'all. It didn't start out great. My father was admitted to the hospital in the morning to have his immune system basically shut down so it can be "rebooted" (hopefully this time deciding not to attack his own bone marrow). This is known medically as A Big Deal. So he's in quarantine right now since his body is incapable of fighting anything at all off. It may come as a surprise, but this kinda had me a little stressed yesterday. I got absolutely nothing done at work and ended up leaving around noon. I went home and took a nap while snuggling a dog, and that helped a little.

Then boot camp at the gym. That was what I needed. Super high intensity, and I was feeling it afterward. It helped that I had a partner who was in similar condition, so we could really push each other. I felt really great when I left the gym. The rest of the night was pretty much just relaxation. With a Hendricks martini.

Big Picture Challenge

• Set a specific date.
      • Waiting on venue.
      • Nope
    • Set a guest list.
      • I think that we pretty much have this finalised.
    • Invite people.
      • Nothing yet.
    • Dinner: Ground beef and onions, pickled beets, beet pickled onions
    • Iced Coffee: Yes, unsweetened! The baristas have successfully been trained.
    • Candy: No

Little Picture Challenge

• 1/2
    • 0/2
    • Did Water A again. This time it was to convince my other half to participate, since he was trying to weasel out of it.
    • 1/2
      • They were really easy squats, but squats nonetheless. I wanted to keep the weight super light because of my hip. Still feeling a little pain, so I made the right choice.
    • 2/2
      • Low weight, high speed and reps. It was a nice little change.
    • 0/2
    • 1/2
  • Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

6 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

Yesterday was such a mixed bag, y'all. It didn't start out great. My father was admitted to the hospital in the morning to have his immune system basically shut down so it can be "rebooted" (hopefully this time deciding not to attack his own bone marrow). This is known medically as A Big Deal. So he's in quarantine right now since his body is incapable of fighting anything at all off. It may come as a surprise, but this kinda had me a little stressed yesterday. I got absolutely nothing done at work and ended up leaving around noon. I went home and took a nap while snuggling a dog, and that helped a little.

Dude.  I'm sorry to hear that.  Definitely hoping he gets rebooted right! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Cancer is a rat bastard son of a bitch. I hope your dad comes out ok.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm feeling kind of guilty for not being able to keep up with everyone's challenges that I'm following. So if you're reading this and wondering why I haven't been responding to yours, I mainly just don't have the energy. Sorry about that. Hopefully soon, after vacation times.

On the plus side, I just finished a huge task that has been looming over me and keeping me down. It's a thing I've done dozens of time before, and it shouldn't have been a big deal, but external factors made it feel much bigger. I felt like I was going to puke, but I got it done. When it was over, I felt out of breath, even though it was just sending out an organisational email. But it's done.

• Like 5

Rangers, ho!

My current Challenge

2 minutes ago, imprimis5 said:

I'm feeling kind of guilty for not being able to keep up with everyone's challenges that I'm following. So if you're reading this and wondering why I haven't been responding to yours, I mainly just don't have the energy. Sorry about that. Hopefully soon, after vacation times.

On the plus side, I just finished a huge task that has been looming over me and keeping me down. It's a thing I've done dozens of time before, and it shouldn't have been a big deal, but external factors made it feel much bigger. I felt like I was going to puke, but I got it done. When it was over, I felt out of breath, even though it was just sending out an organisational email. But it's done.

I totally understand.  Take care of you first.  We'll still be here. :) 

Glad you got your thing done!  

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Take care of you and yours first.  We'll be here when life settles down. 

Said a quick prayer for your pops.  I hope the reboot works. 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges: