ArgSki and the Journey to Sparta Part II

ArgSki77

Hi Friends

We are back again for part 2 of this challenge all leading towards my first OCR in June, the Boston Spartan Sprint!

Last challenge was a major long list of a bunch of small things that I was using to try and cover all aspects that I thought would help me move towards getting prepped for a spartan race. I discovered over that challenge that some things were actually already far along while others still need some serious dedication. This challenge will hammer down and bring focus specifically on those weak spots while grouping the already positive spots into a more generic focus.

Since this is not really themed...prepare yourselves for random memes and gifs galore!

Nutrition

Goal 1 - Actually cut for once

Track food and eat within cutting calorie goal 6 days per week and last day within maintenance

Feeling very motivated going forward with getting nutrition back on track. I hate the way I am feeling lately. Junk food is starting to take its toll and leaving me sluggish and wiped when I try to workout or even just late in the work day.

E2k04aqfYRj8c.gif

My big issue is willpower. If I ate like I know how I should eat, I would not be sitting at 324lbs. I have a mentality that I haven't gotten past that really allows me to mentally justify eating just about anything even though I know deep down that I shouldn't. Time to really break this trend..going to put my head down and focus for the length of this challenge!

Over time I have found that I cut weight at a good rate when staying around 2500-2600 calories and maintenance at 3200 so those are the numbers to aim for. As the side effect for those numbers, I should see the scale take a downwards turn back into the 3-teens by the end of the challenge.

Goal 2 - Up the protein

Surpass 200g of protein 4 days per week

Trying to get back into the higher protein days. I have been super carb heavy recently and they are not even clean carbs. My biggest success with weight loss was actually when I went full paleo for 4 months. That kind of automatically reduced my carb amounts and raised the protein balance since I was eliminating most processed junk. But paleo was bit too strict for me and stressed me out when I was not making my own meals. So I am going to try and go paleo-ish and really restrict the processed carbs and in replacement, introduce some more protein to bring me back up to a high protein diet.

giphy.gif

Goal 3 - Waterrrrrr

Drink 100oz of water per day

This was successful last challenge and helps my body feel better in a number of areas. Going to keep this up into this challenge.

1guRIRS9XSjuPcZKIfe.gif

Exercise

Goal 4 - Condition

Do one strength based conditioning session per week

So I am already really locked into a two day per week strength class that has a little bit of conditioning at the end. But I want a good hard conditioning session once per week to shift the training mindset away from powerlifting goals of the past. I am going to work with coach to setup some conditioning workout. Probably going to include lots of sandbag work and steel clubs/maces and kettlebells...oh so fun! The other option is that there is a FIT class which is what my strength class is but with one of the other coaches on Saturday mornings and that coach has a much stronger conditioning background. May just switch to that on Saturdays instead of open gym so I dont have to worry about my own programming.

Harbaugh1.gif

Goal 5 - Cardio

Do two cardio workouts per week

Last challenge I was trying to run twice per week. That was all well and good but I think my running was a bit further along than I thought. The main issue with it was that I get a bit bored running, especially inside, despite the fact that I have the energy to go longer. This time I am not going to restrict it as much and allow other cardio. This gives a chance to do two or more cardio machines when indoors and not get bored before getting a good full workout in.

3f586c56ceea5aaeda707a387e0906f8.jpg

Guess what is making its glorious comeback...CHECKBOXES!!!  ☐ ☑

Goal 1 - Food

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Goal 2 - Protein

☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐

Goal 3 - Water

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Goal 4 - Conditioning

☐  ☐  ☐  ☐  ☐

Goal 5 - Cardio

☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐

• Like 6

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

*pours one out for all the non check boxes...

TmgLSN2h.png

• Like 3

Following for the checkboxes :P

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

following!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Goal 1 - Food

Kind of a meh performance with the food yesterday. It was superbowl hangover day and we had a potluck at work which was basically pizza and leftovers from parties the night before. Ate too much junk. But I listened to my new goals and stayed within the maintainance limit so that was the one for the week. Just means that I need to stay vigilent.

Also, since I haven't gloated on here yet, just when I think another Patriots Superbowl win couldn't get better...I am thinking its true that everything becomes better with Titanic music. 

And I am really not even remotely sorry if any of you are Falcon fans...I will embrace my true Masshole sports fan whenever!

3CE2DE6D00000578-4194970-image-a-148_148

Goal 2 - Protein

Just short of this yesterday...was mainly eating carbs. Only got around 170. Today is looking more promising as I brought my own breakfast which is much higher than quick grab breakfast sandwich like yesterday.

Goal 3 - Water

nervously-drinking-water.gif

Goal 4 - Conditioning

Nothing so far. Going to do something light after cardio tonight. Dont know if I would call it a full conditioning but leaning towards Bear Complex EMOM+ which would be a quick 20min on top of my 15-20min of cardio. Perfect kind of workout for goals. Then back into the gym for strength tomorrow...bench press week 2.

Goal 5 - Cardio

Considering it is snowing pretty hard at the office right now, I am going to hit the work gym for some cardio tonight on the way out. Will help me miss some of the terrible winter drivers during the end of rush hour. Looking for something about 15min of good cardio work. Probably something more like constant pace treadmill or arc trainer.

Checkboxes!!!

Goal 1 - Food

☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Goal 2 - Protein

☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐

Goal 3 - Water

☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Goal 4 - Conditioning

☐  ☐  ☐  ☐  ☐

Goal 5 - Cardio

☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐

• Like 1

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

11 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

I listened to my new goals and stayed within the maintenance limit so that was the one for the week

Great job at sticking to your limit. I probably wouldn't have been that strong willed.

11 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Today is looking more promising as I brought my own breakfast which is much higher than quick grab breakfast sandwich like yesterday.

Quick grab breakfast sandwiches are horrible for carb content. I tend to go for a protein shake and a bag of no sugar added fruit and nut mix when I need a quick breakfast.

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

8 hours ago, Muir said:

Quick grab breakfast sandwiches are horrible for carb content. I tend to go for a protein shake and a bag of no sugar added fruit and nut mix when I need a quick breakfast.

Yeah whenever I get quick grab breakfasts, its usually dunkin breakfast sandwich because if I am in that much of a rush in the morning it typically means I also need coffee so its just a quick one stop. But I should really start using my protein powder up. Last time BB.com had a sale I bought two 5lb tubs which Ive barely touched. I brought two scoops of powder with me today for afternoon snack.

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

HOW DARE YOU HAVE A SUPERBOWL HANGOVER?!

gronkbeers$medium.jpg

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

cardio AND conditioning, WTF man. I guess that is acceptable since you are a ranger.

Yeah...this was basically trying to hopefully force a solid conditioning workout on the weekend. I typically go in and do some sort of overhead press work and then bail out or talk with other gym friends. But that doesnt fit goals. Would benefit much more from a good heart racing conditioning session. If I want to do OHP stuff that can be built into the conditioning work. I actually respond better to high rep press work more than heavy low rep work so that could work both ways. Conditioning just needs to happen...Warrior in me is not happy about it but I will trudge along.

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Goal 1 - Food

Food was back on cutting track again yesterday. Despite having a free $10 lunch coupon from work, I resisted the cafeteria's make your own pasta bowl and opted for a beastly salad from the salad bar and a cup of melon. Dinner was savory protein waffles with broccoli and cheese topped with crispy oven baked chicken tenders.

Total calories for the day were 2354 with a breakdown of 214g P/59g F/243g C. Pretty even split all around and felt pretty well fed most of the day. Felt a bit sluggish before workout but I am thinking that I am still just feeling a bit wiped from getting little sleep this weekend. Weight is almost adjusted again from alcohol and junk from weekend.

Goal 2 – Protein

Like it said above, got to 214g of protein yesterday so got one day under my belt for the week.

Goal 3 – Water

e3JKAgX.gif

Goal 4 - Conditioning

Goal 5 - Cardio

Attempted both of these things last night but some old friends reared their ugly heads. Did some basic little warmup with foam roller and KB swings then hopped on the treadmill for a 15min run. In retrospect, I should have taken some time to walk some incline to warm up but instead I started straight into a 5.5mph run at 1.5 deg incline. 7min in, my right knee was toast...annoying tightness just below knee not letting me take good strides. So I had to call it for the run and ended up finishing the last 8min on the bike. Then I went and tried to stretch out a bit more and was feeling fine so I went ahead with EMOM+ bear complex. Felt fine until about round 7 when knee started tightening up again during front squats. Felt kind of dejected after all that because of the knee...I felt like I barely broke a sweat in what was supposed to be a fast but moderately intense workout because I could not perform. Went home and stretched a bit before bed. I think its actually a tight calf from skiing that is culprit behind knee tightening. Or could just be general lower body soreness from skiing Sunday and not getting much sleep recovery. Its interesting though because at the gym this morning after bench we did some sandbag complexes that had many similar movements to bear complexes and I had no issues and no soreness in knee after and that was only 12 hours afterwards. Something to watch. May try to keep away from the running for a week or so and stick to arc trainer or rower to take away the impact on my knees just to rest up a bit. I will give that a red caution check for cardio and was not really long enough for conditioning. Saturday will be true conditioning workout.

Checkboxes!!!

Goal 1 - Food

☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Goal 2 - Protein

☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐

Goal 3 - Water

☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Goal 4 - Conditioning

Goal 5 - Cardio

☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐  ☐☐

• Like 2

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

1 hour ago, ArgSki77 said:

its usually dunkin breakfast sandwich because if I am in that much of a rush in the morning it typically means I also need coffee so its just a quick one stop.

We have Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins combo here in Leeds, UK. I stopped in the other day for a coffee. Nice staff, nice looking place, but the coffee is horrible. It comes from one of those automatic machines, but tastes like percolated coffee that was brewed too strong and then allowed to sit on the hot plate for 12 hours.

giphy.gif

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

1 minute ago, Muir said:

We have Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins combo here in Leeds, UK. I stopped in the other day for a coffee. Nice staff, nice looking place, but the coffee is horrible. It comes from one of those automatic machines, but tastes like percolated coffee that was brewed too strong and then allowed to sit on the hot plate for 12 hours.

Yeah we have a couple Dunkin around...

211412360c4746d41ef4a504466f6055.jpg

Not going to say that its good coffee but basically, its cheap and gets the job done, and it most certainly is hours old hot drip coffee...but I always get iced coffee.

• Like 4

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

DUNKIN TRUTHS

can not drink it black, the cold brew isn't bad, but i always get an almond milk latte these days. if there is a small/local coffee shop nearby though, you best believe i'd choose that over dunks.

omgggg i get to use my favorite gif evererrrrr!!

_q4aHsdK_VrH68hzekC6je1FmaBfuClg3tggORT4

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

32 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

can not drink it black, the cold brew isn't bad, but i always get an almond milk latte these days. if there is a small/local coffee shop nearby though, you best believe i'd choose that over dunks.

I am in the firm Masshole stance where if it takes more than 3-4 words to order a coffee, thats unacceptable. "Large, iced black" and I have happiness in my hand within a minute.

I do love smaller craft type coffee shops where they use fresh ground beans and better brewing methods(cold brew and V60/Chemex). But also in the firm stance that Starbucks is not one of those places...if I wanted to drink mediocre coffee I would save myself $4 and get Dunkin! (Pumpkin Spice Latte from SB get an exception to the above because I am deep down a basic white girl)

• Like 1

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

39 minutes ago, Laghail said:

That gif is lyyyyfe. I laughed so hard

i laughed at that one for so long. and every time i watch it. it's just nonchalantly so good!

6 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

I am in the firm Masshole stance where if it takes more than 3-4 words to order a coffee, thats unacceptable. "Large, iced black" and I have happiness in my hand within a minute.

I do love smaller craft type coffee shops where they use fresh ground beans and better brewing methods(cold brew and V60/Chemex). But also in the firm stance that Starbucks is not one of those places...if I wanted to drink mediocre coffee I would save myself $4 and get Dunkin! (Pumpkin Spice Latte from SB get an exception to the above because I am deep down a basic white girl)

i am an entitled b*tch and will get my coffee the exact way i want it no matter how many words it takes :D especially if the coffee is coming from lesser beans and roasting methods. still pretty masshole tho, right?

in the 4.5 days i was in london last year, i went to 14 different coffee shops. i will try ALL THE COFFEE!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

8 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

still pretty masshole tho, right?

Forcing others to accept your ways, right or wrong...very masshole

9 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

in the 4.5 days i was in london last year, i went to 14 different coffee shops. i will try ALL THE COFFEE!

Boston disappoints me in this aspect. There are lots of coffee shops but very few coffee roasters. Like all the shops use one local place, Barrington, or non-MA places like Stumptown for their coffee. When I was in Austin, almost every coffee shop roasted their own coffee and the difference was very noticeable.

Challenges

Respawn 2017 - CH1

16 hours ago, ArgSki77 said:

Forcing others to accept your ways, right or wrong...very masshole

Boston disappoints me in this aspect. There are lots of coffee shops but very few coffee roasters. Like all the shops use one local place, Barrington, or non-MA places like Stumptown for their coffee. When I was in Austin, almost every coffee shop roasted their own coffee and the difference was very noticeable.

Speedwell is starting to get around!! They are out of plymouth and delicious and serve a few places in boston and starting to go north.

I NEED TO GO TO AUSTIN!

Instagram | pinterest

Yeah, seriously. TACOS, COFFEE ROASTERS, MUSIC, probably lots of other amazing things I don't even know about? Gotta get down there soon! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

YUSSS, coffee conversation. I like my coffee strong black and hot, just like I like my... hello! Wait, wut? 

whatever the awesome gif is, it doesn't load for me, for shame! 

If coffee costs more than $2 per cup then I ain't about that life, except as the occasional treat. I make it for us at work because I like it strong. STRONG I TELL YOU. #warriorlife

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }