• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky does some tinkering...

Tinkering.png

As the title of my challenge suggests... it's time to focus on some of the small things.

There are several areas where I could use some improvement:

I need to strengthen my trunk/core/middle bit.

I need to focus on recovery a lot more.

I need to structure my eating better.

So, I will:

Do core work 4 or more times a week: +1 CON for 16 core sessions, +1 extra CON for 24 sessions (ie; 6 x weekly), +1 WIS if I can make this a habit.

I need to stretch or do low level movement after my heavy lifting, I also need to take my supplements (Vit D, fish oil, curcumin). +1 WIS if I remember 20+ days.

I need to add more protein in directly after training and a bit more later at night on lifting days. +1 WIS if I can make this a habit

Things to roll over from the last few challenges:

Continue to accumulate PR's: +1 STR for every 4 PR's.

Stay disciplined with morning activity: +1 CON for getting 4x weekly, +1 extra CON if I manage 6x weekly.

Continue to lose weight: +1 CON for each kg (not expecting too much here as I'm eating more food now).

Lose the double chin: +1 CHA.

I'm typing this at work... so pictures n stuff to be added later...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blocky said:

I need to strengthen my trunk/core/middle bit.

I need to structure my eating better.

Your technical terminology inspires me :P

Want a partner in that?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blocky said:

For shizzles....

(see... I'm cool)...

LEGOLAND made you the once and forever cool kid. We all know it. 

• Like 3

To expand on my goals a bit:

Core work: I'm currently getting this done in the mornings with my cardio stuff. I'm working for 6x weekly and trying to ensure it doesn't get in the way of my lifting. So, on lower body days, I'm doing rotational type abs (banded rotations, russian twists). On non-lifting days, I'm doing normal? abs (standard situps, declines situps etc). And on upper body days, it's all static abs (planks, anti rotation stuff). To start, I'm just doing a very basic 3 x max reps type deal, superset with 10 back extensions.

Recovery: I have a very bad habit of finishing my assistance work and calling it a day and sitting down in front of the TV. I really need to do a cool down, stretching type deal after. Especially my hamstrings, which are feeling as if they are going to tear off.

Food: While I have been dropping weight, I'm finding it easy to forget to eat. On lifting days: Must have breakky, must have pre gym carbs, must have protein/carbs after. On non-lifting days: keep doing what I'm doing (IFing until 2ish).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blocky said:

Recovery: I have a very bad habit of finishing my assistance work and calling it a day and sitting down in front of the TV. I really need to do a cool down, stretching type deal after. Especially my hamstrings, which are feeling as if they are going to tear off.

I say figure out what works for you so it doesn't seem like such a chore. I have found 10 min of elliptical or treadmill after a workout loosens up my leg muscles and prevents doms. I can just put on a couple of good songs and zone out, requires no focus or mental energy, which I prefer over stretching. $%@# stretching. 

• Like 3

Screenshot_2017_02_08_15_52_54_1.pngScreenshot_2017_02_08_16_00_22_1.pngScreenshot_2017_02_08_15_58_01_1.png

So, the last 3 days...

Monday was fun. Played with some squats against band tension which are brutal. The bands make gravity (already a bitch) even worse. Got to 150kg raw and 160kg with knee wraps which is about right at the moment. But then I threw on my centurion squatty suit which I can get into now and hit 170kg (185kg at lockout from the bands). The suit doesn't fit well in the top half due to the weight loss, so it was more like a pair of briefs than a suit. I'll have to get the straps tailored - when I was fatter I got up to 190kg in it.

Did the abs, a bit hit and miss on the food (my energy tanked halfway through the workout because I missed breakky), got most of my supplements in. No recovery work.

Tuesday: Did the abs, better with food, got my supps. Did some recovery work.

Today: Was well fed, well rested, well supplemented.... felt weak AF. Very unhappy. Hit well under what I was aiming at on my closegrip benching, threw a tantrum, took some chain weight off and went again - did a bit better. Took all the chain off and went again and did a bit better. Added a board and got within 2.5kg of my max. Shitty session, but glad I didn't quit. Did all the other things without too much problems (including 5 second pauses on competition bench - which suuuucked).

Did the abs, perfect on food, still have some supps to take and a bit of recovery stuff tonight.

TL:DR

Did some stuff. Had a hissy fit. Did more stuff.

Forgot to add pic of toys! Here are the minifigs I got at the Lego store last weekend:

20170204_205247_1.jpg

• Like 3

They way you log your workouts goes against all my OCD tendencies to the point that I can't even read them. :culpability: must.line.up.all.the.numbers. 

I do read your write ups though. Great job on getting those abs in. I think every warrior (or most) struggle with doing their damn abs. Me included. 

crunches-fail-one-and-good.gif 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

They way you log your workouts goes against all my OCD tendencies to the point that I can't even read them. :culpability: must.line.up.all.the.numbers. 

I do read your write ups though. Great job on getting those abs in. I think every warrior (or most) struggle with doing their damn abs. Me included. 

If I used a sperate line for each set, I would run out of room. I really only care about the top sets and this diary app lets me flick back through time pretty easily.

Screenshot_2017_02_09_17_04_50_1.png

I haven't done any barbell rowing for quite a while due to my elbow tendinitis so I'm pretty happy to get 2 sets of 6 at 80kg with good back positioning. My all time best is only 90kg for 6 so not far off.

Did well with cardio - 15 1min sprints on the treadmill. Felt ok and I could tell my resting metabolism was jacked for most of the day cos I couldn't stop sweating. Did all of the abs, did well with food and still have my night time supplements to take.

Toys:

More lego. Both these sets are from 1978/1979:

20170209_170240.jpg

• Like 2

And in a completely non-warrior fashion, Mrs Blocky talked me in to buying a piano - should arrive on the weekend!

This was the best image that i could find for "Blocky Piano"

d5cc3c7682db3dbd74a5f8a6f29bbb7f.jpg

• Like 4

On the subject of recovery:

An article from suppversity just popped up on my facebook = "Cycling Only 10 Min After Workouts Promotes Recovery as Effectively, Cheaper and More Conveniently Than Ice Baths..." Looks fairly legit, so I guess I'll be cycling a lot more then...

5 hours ago, Blocky said:

Did well with cardio - 15 1min sprints on the treadmill. Felt ok and I could tell my resting metabolism was jacked for most of the day cos I couldn't stop sweating. 

Really?  That's a sign of increased metabolism?  

I'll pay attention...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Really?  That's a sign of increased metabolism?  

I'll pay attention...

Kinda makes sense. 

Have you ever felt the heat radiating off your legs after high volume?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

On the subject of recovery:

An article from suppversity just popped up on my facebook = "Cycling Only 10 Min After Workouts Promotes Recovery as Effectively, Cheaper and More Conveniently Than Ice Baths..." Looks fairly legit, so I guess I'll be cycling a lot more then...

I don't know how true this is. And I've never done an ice bath. But I'm a big fan of 10-15 min of light cardio at the end of my workout to loosen the muscles up after heavy lifting. That my story of n=1. 

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Not that kind of tinkering? Ok.

Seems we have some overlapping goals this challenge with core work, cool downs, and all the non-lifting malarkey!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, navis said:

giphy.gif

Not that kind of tinkering? Ok.

Seems we have some overlapping goals this challenge with core work, cool downs, and all the non-lifting malarkey!

Yep... it's the non-liftng malarky that I let slip. It must be done!

10 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Not after lifting, but I have felt it after running. 

After a tough leg day, I'll get the same/similar feeling, but I mostly notice it after hard HIT cardio (probably cos I'm not a cardio person and I'm well adapted to lifting)